The Pizza Thread

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited May 2021
    I've seen scissors used in Rome.
    Also once in Tuscany. Poggibonsi I think. (Edit: Could have been up north in Bologna, can't remember exactly.)
    Both were off the long, rectangular pizzas where you buy a portion (slice).
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2021

I'm loving the whole scissors and pizza thing. I might buy some new scissors and a pizza this weekend, just to try it out!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited May 2021
    And why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it Roundtine. That's gold, Jerry. GOLD.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Shear madness!
  • @Spiritual_Chaos your pizzas look tasty, can I ask- do you have special pizza cutting scissors or are they just ordinary scissors?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    @Spiritual_Chaos your pizzas look tasty, can I ask- do you have special pizza cutting scissors or are they just ordinary scissors?
    Ordinary. But these, I must admit I just posed for the pictures. Knife and fork was used yesterday.

New pizzeria opened in my moms neighbourhood. We were all pleasantly surprised - even had two vegan options - because of how "bad" the former one was.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Sounds nice x
    For the Ooni folks, I am on the cusp of pulling the trigger as I found a store that should have the one I want (koda 16) available in just over a week as opposed to waiting 6 long weeks.

Anything else you think I need to know about? Thinking of the necessary accessories you guys use often more than anything. A lot seems unavailable still on their website. I just want to make sure I have everything I need to be ready to go when the thing arrives. TIA
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    For the Ooni folks, I am on the cusp of pulling the trigger as I found a store that should have the one I want (koda 16) available in just over a week as opposed to waiting 6 long weeks.

Anything else you think I need to know about? Thinking of the necessary accessories you guys use often more than anything. A lot seems unavailable still on their website. I just want to make sure I have everything I need to be ready to go when the thing arrives. TIA
    You'll like the Koda 16!
    Accessories I would recommend:

IR laser thermometer.  Be sure to get one that can go to 1000F.  (I made the mistake of getting one that went to 750.  Not ideal when you want your stone around 800. So I got a proper one.  You can get them on Amazon).

Wood and metal peel.  Use wood to put the pizza in and metal to take it out and move it around.  Pizza is less likely to stick to wood, esp if you add a little flour and/or semolina to it.  If your pizza sticks, you're in trouble.  I use a metal turning peel so the pizza can stay in the oven while I turn it.  Otherwise you'll have to pull it out and turn it by hand.  Any turning peel will work, but I went fancy and got a GI Metal one.

Digital kitchen scale.  You're going to make dough using grams instead of volume (cups, Tbsp, etc.)

Type 00 flour.  Can be hard to find in stores, but to make real Neapolitan pizza, you gotta use 00.  I buy mine (Caputo Blue Pizza Flour) on Amazon. 

Depending on where you put it, might want to get a outdoor table for it.  I have a metal one that has wheels so I can move it around.  And if you leave it outside (I do) you might want to get a cover for it. 

And maybe some containers to store and cold proof your doughballs.  They need to be air-tight so any container will work.  I use baker/dough containers I found on Amazon.

You're going to have so much fun with that thing!  Your first couple of pizzas might not turn out or look perfect, but they still taste good and you'll get better.  Oh, another thought... get a cheap cast iron pan.  You can cook tons of stuff in that oven other than pizza.  You're going to want to use cast iron for those things.

mca47 said:

You'll like the Koda 16!
    Accessories I would recommend:

IR laser thermometer.  Be sure to get one that can go to 1000F.  (I made the mistake of getting one that went to 750.  Not ideal when you want your stone around 800. So I got a proper one.  You can get them on Amazon).

Wood and metal peel.  Use wood to put the pizza in and metal to take it out and move it around.  Pizza is less likely to stick to wood, esp if you add a little flour and/or semolina to it.  If your pizza sticks, you're in trouble.  I use a metal turning peel so the pizza can stay in the oven while I turn it.  Otherwise you'll have to pull it out and turn it by hand.  Any turning peel will work, but I went fancy and got a GI Metal one.

Digital kitchen scale.  You're going to make dough using grams instead of volume (cups, Tbsp, etc.)

Type 00 flour.  Can be hard to find in stores, but to make real Neapolitan pizza, you gotta use 00.  I buy mine (Caputo Blue Pizza Flour) on Amazon. 

Depending on where you put it, might want to get a outdoor table for it.  I have a metal one that has wheels so I can move it around.  And if you leave it outside (I do) you might want to get a cover for it. 

And maybe some containers to store and cold proof your doughballs.  They need to be air-tight so any container will work.  I use baker/dough containers I found on Amazon.

You're going to have so much fun with that thing!  Your first couple of pizzas might not turn out or look perfect, but they still taste good and you'll get better.  Oh, another thought... get a cheap cast iron pan.  You can cook tons of stuff in that oven other than pizza.  You're going to want to use cast iron for those things.

Much obliged sir! Much obliged!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Not much to add there....the metal peel that I ended up liking the best is the small, round, one.

That thing made life so much easier once I had that to add to the wooden one to take in/out of the oven.

MCA shared the master list!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    You guys use pizza screens ever? On an Ooni facebook page, I'm seeing some people like using them if they're preparing multiple pies for a bunch of people. Allows them to prepare multiple pies. The dough would stick to it at first but you pop it in for twenty seconds until the bottom is cooked a little then it's easy to slide it out and finish on the stone. Seems like a decent accessory to add to my list?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    You guys use pizza screens ever? On an Ooni facebook page, I'm seeing some people like using them if they're preparing multiple pies for a bunch of people. Allows them to prepare multiple pies. The dough would stick to it at first but you pop it in for twenty seconds until the bottom is cooked a little then it's easy to slide it out and finish on the stone. Seems like a decent accessory to add to my list?
    Yeah, I've seen people post on the FB group about using screens.  I've never used one, but I've heard good things.
    I knocked out 6 pizzas a couple weekends ago in the same cook.  I use coal and wood so it's a little more involved, but I'd cook one, then put it in a regular oven set to "warm".  Then make the next and repeat.  I can make them and cook them pretty quick, but if you are cooking for a bunch of people you might want to make them all at once and use the screens.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Never saw the screens but I like the sound of it.
    (Not on Facebook)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    to save your eyes from spiritual’s atrocities....

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    edited June 2021
    We far from Brooklyn these days but this pie wasn’t half bad…
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    Looking good!
    Wobbie said:

So there are some decent places to get food in Utah, apparently. This looks great. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wobbie said:

So there are some decent places to get food in Utah, apparently. This looks great. 
    Settabello Pizzaria Napoletana in Salt Lake is really good.  
    The Koda 16 has officially been ordered! Bloomingdales somehow says 5-8 days turn around time when the rest of the world is still 4-6 weeks. We shall see. Can't wait to get started. 

Yeah, Wob, that pizza looks right up my alley there. I could eat that every day. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Some good looking pizza!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Good ole Ohio presents, CICADA pizza!!!  Check out those wings!!!!May be an image of foodMay be an image of pizza
    May be an image of food
    Buzz... Buzz... It's Cicada Pizza!
    From a distance this pie looks delightful but once you get closer you realize those are no raisins...
    Introducing Spicy Thai Cicada Pie!
    That's an 18" handtossed dough with miso hoisin sriracha sauce, mozzarella and provolone, blanched and sautéed locally foraged cicadas, mushroom, cabbage, green onion, mango, cilantro, with a spicy Thai sauce after the bake and a Cicada wing adorned crust!
    We definitely missed out on soft shell season as these crunchy cicadas add a heck of a note to an otherwise wonderful Thai inspired pie. Opinions of the pizza range from absolutely delicious to...well...uh...yeah...
    Pair this pie with a BIG summery IPA or Lager!
    You can NOT get this pizza by the slice or whole pie because we're not even sure if we legally can sell you locally foraged Cicadas but there's tons of other delicious pizzas to round out your Sunday at iampizzabandit.com.
    First attempt on the Ooni was a success. Was a bit hectic and we need a better system but things went better than I thought. Used their classic dough recipe

chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    holy shit! the juggler has no hair! mind blowing.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Hair’s overrated
    chinese-happy.jpg
    They look great dude, nice job!

Those look awesome!  Did you use propane to cook with?