Canada: genocide and attempted extermination of indigenous peoples….

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
edited June 2021 in A Moving Train
Canada: remains of 215 children found at Indigenous residential school site | Canada | The Guardian

Just sad what these children were put through...and many of our 1st nation peoples struggle with mental health and substance abuse issues because of this evil.  It was "genocide."  
Give Peas A Chance…
Post edited by Meltdown99 on

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It is a horrible story. Should not be a surprise to anyone who knows anything about how the residential school system operated and yet each of these discoveries are so gut wrenching. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Utterly shameful.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    read about that this morning. awful. just awful. 

and still, so many FN communities don't have access to clean drinking water. Our country clearly still doesn't give a shit about these people. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The sad part is that the Catholic Church was very much part of this cruelty…

Why does that evil religion get away with this.  They have refused to apologize.

As far as I’m concerned they should apologize and should be taxed at 25 percent of all revenue and turn the money over to 1st nations…

make them fuckers pay as well, and any other religion that was involved.

Give Peas A Chance…

and still, so many FN communities don't have access to clean drinking water. Our country clearly still doesn't give a shit about these people. 

True for all of North America!

Why does that evil religion get away with this.  They have refused to apologize.

As far as I’m concerned they should apologize and should be taxed at 25 percent of all revenue and turn the money over to 1st nations…

Agreed.  Unfortunately, if Canada is anything like the U.S. in that regard, that's a big uphill struggle. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

Agreed.  Unfortunately, if Canada is anything like the U.S. in that regard, that's a big uphill struggle. 
    it is true, Brian, but it's especially bad since that was one of Trudeau's campaign pledges, and less importantly, he promised Gord Downie before he died that he'd take care of it, and Gord championed him, bringing him up on stage on their final concert in Kingston to basically proclaim him the guy who will lead us to reconciliation in the 21st century. he's done zip. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    HFD, your mistake was you believed a politician, classic mistake... I kid, not a shot at you

i like the idea of taxing the churches responsible to pay for making things whole
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:
    HFD, your mistake was you believed a politician, classic mistake... I kid, not a shot at you

i like the idea of taxing the churches responsible to pay for making things whole
    haha, yeah, I actually kinda did. he seemed like he genuinely wanted to help them. 

churches shouldn't be tax exempt at all, regardless of where the money goes. But I do like that idea. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    How heartbreaking for the little ones, and their families. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    This country has a very long way to go to live up to the “nice, kind people” image we like to think we are. 
    The last residential school in Canada was the Gordon Residential School in Punnichy, Saskatchewan, closed in 1996.  Yes, 1996. 

Those social media losers firing off racist posts towards Oilers defenceman Ethan Bear (a better hockey player and person than any of them no doubt) demonstrate how far there is to go. 

As for whether the church or the government is responsible, let us face facts. Residential schools were government-sponsored and run by the church to assimilate indigenous youth. Basically, the church was hired  by the government to run the schools. When you want to lay blame, follow the money. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    edited November 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited May 2021
    brianlux said:

it is true, Brian, but it's especially bad since that was one of Trudeau's campaign pledges, and less importantly, he promised Gord Downie before he died that he'd take care of it, and Gord championed him, bringing him up on stage on their final concert in Kingston to basically proclaim him the guy who will lead us to reconciliation in the 21st century. he's done zip. 
    He hasn't done zip. Note the female equity law change. Note that he got UNDRIP implemented. BC teachers are held to a new 2019 professional standard to incorporate Indigeneity and our University's have strategic plans. Hospitals have Indigenous Navigators. Because we have lower tertiary graduation rates, we can apply for health positions with an undergrad. We are redefining what knowledge is valuable, evident by degree programs in First Nation language fluency. Newer policy changes have been helpful.

BTW... I taught PHE in a gymnasium 'Gord' helped fund. Was funny to see his name on a banner there...
    edited May 2021
    tish said:
    I am descendent of a resident school student who survived by marrying a middle aged historical Metis figure at age 16. He picked her up at St. Mary's residential school.

Because Canada changed federal laws in 2019 and can't discriminate against women who married outside of Indigeneity, I will have status shortly. She was a Caius girl, who survived a rival raid and was raised by the Chief of the  Ktuxaxa. My family's name is in a museum. Our reserve is on Flathead lake where Jeff hangs stateside.

During my Masters of Education I have been studying curricular and policy change in BCs educational institutes that are inclusive, countering systemic racism implementing UNDRIP, TRC, and MMIWC. More people changes are needed.

Fascinating family history, Tish, and major kudos for working to make much needed changes! 

edited November 2023
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2021
    tish said:
    aaaand... Hughdarling, fed gov't fasttracked/ended debate on bill c5 passed Friday after this news so there will be a national TRC day.
    Next June and every June thereafter I am guessing? 

EDIT - I saw it’s Sept. 30th
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Oh good, there will be a day set aside to remind 1st nations how little we care about them.

Trudeau is a fucking IDIOT.  

You will only have reconciliation when we decolonize...

There are likely many more of these graves throughout Canada.  I hope they find every last one of these graves, Canada can live with that shame. Canada is just as fucking racist as the US. 

My brother-in-law and best friend and great all guy is 1st nation...his father was in one of those residential schools...his father has never said what went on...likely to traumatized...

And the Catholic needs to fucking apology and be taxed at a rate of 25% with the money going to residential school survivors.

I also think if you live in unceded 1st nations land that 10% of property tax need to be turned over to the peoples of the 1st nations whose land you're illegally occupying without a treaty and proper compensation...enough is a fucking enough.

This idiot pm is borrowing 100 billion for some bs daycare program...how bout that 100 billion go to getting our 1st nations clean water and better housing.

And both the Conservatives and Liberals can share in the blame...but Trudeau is the PM at the time...

Trudeau is not who people think he is...
    he is racist-search blackface and trudeau, he did not just do blackface, he went full black body
    he is a misognyist, just ask Jody Raybould, Jane Philbott, Celina Ceaser Chavannes...all strong woman who dared to challenge that pencil necked nimrob...not to mention the sex scandel going on in the military that trudea and the Idiot defence minister kept trying to cover up
    he is a groper
    but Canadians will vote the guy back in....because Canadians are way more racist than they'll ever admit.

Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…

You know how many fucking Canadians I’ve talked to who loved pointing fingers at the US for separating children at the southern border…but whenever I point out the residential schools and 1st nations children that got an ignorant comment or racist comment..Canadian are ignorant racist…

Dr. Peter Bryce (1853–1932): whistleblower on residential schools

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/192/9/E223

In September of 2019, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT) reached a landmark decision when it found that 40 000 to 80 000 First Nations children were deprived of public services and wrongfully removed from their families between 2006 and 2017. Accordingly, the CHRT found that the federal government’s “willful” and “reckless” discrimination meant that Canada must pay $40 000 to each victim of its discriminatory conduct.

Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…

And to think some of the tribes south of the border tried to escape north into Canada.  I wonder how many got there and then went, "WTF?!"

edited May 2021
    brianlux said:

And to think some of the tribes south of the border tried to escape north into Canada.  I wonder how many got there and then went, "WTF?!"
    True.  I have never been more ashamed of my country..  trust me, there are more.  These crimes are going to get exposed, like they should..

I now want the Catholic Church kicked out of Canada…disgusting.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.citynews1130.com/2021/05/21/bc-indigenous-children-iud-forced/amp/

Claims B.C. Indigenous girls forcibly given IUD birth control shock youth advocate

Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
    I hope all Canadians on these boards writes their MP.  Demand a national day of mourning and flags lowered nationwide…amongst other things.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Horrifying and heartbreaking.

brianlux said:

Horrifying and heartbreaking.
    It sure is.  Those poor children.  There are more of these graves…but they need financial support to locate them…

First Nation people’s are tired of the platitudes.   They want action, they deserve action.  

Trust me, Brian…there is nothing special about Canada.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://globalnews.ca/video/5104987/thank-you-for-your-donation-trudeau-to-first-nation-protesters-at-liberal-fundraiser

Thank you for your donation’: Trudeau to First Nation protesters at Liberal fundraiser

This is a video of our racist pm Trudeau mocking a 1st nations protestor over grassy narrow water being poisoned by mercury…check out the reaction of his nimrod supporters…Trudeau is a fucking idiot

Give Peas A Chance…