Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    edited May 2021
    hrd2imgn said:
    No pic, just a Jack Drumstick with green grip, but the story was great.  95 Milwaukeefest , show is over.  My best bud and I drunkish and waiting for the crowd to thin.  Had 5th row fan club seats, just us and a couple about 3 seats down in our section.  Just talking, waiting and the crew chucks one of Jack's sticks in the two rows in front of us in the aisle.  My bud books it hopping rows the couple was closer, and the woman of the pair and my bud grab an opposite end of it at the same exact time.  They sort of wiggle into a row again, I get there, boyfriend too,  and we basically establish a 4 person tug of war on a drumstick.

All of us pulling she yells out "let's just break it in half and share it"   my bud and I look at each other as we grunt and say FUCK NO.  He does a full 180 while holding it, and ass bumps it out.  I grab it and run like hell for the lot with my pal.  She chases us yelling cmon guys lets share it.

Victorious and escaped we decide to rotate who gets it each year.  After 1 year he just says you keep it, so I have a stick from my favorite PJ drummer.

Story 2- Ed give my sister his pick.  Front Row center from cancelled Toldeo show make up tickets at Alpine Valley 98.  My sister a huge Ed Mark, does her girl shit, cant recall after what song, Ed looks right at us, points at us (total Katyan/Ferrel SNL brothers thing me?  You? Me?)  He gets right up in front of us takes her hand, puts his guitar pick in it, closes her fingers around it with his hands, on to the next song.  My mind blown
    Wow. Tug of war sounds intense! 

I had a Stone pick fly to me and a dude after evenflow.  we both snagged it in the air. He let go. I felt a little bad, but he didn't seem to care and I got a 'lucky Lucas'. Only stone pick I ever got. They are hard to get in the wild. I'm pretty sure he recycles all his old picks!

Post edited by Loujoe on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,706
    edited May 2021
    Ok i have  some more. My profile pic on here is at London  last tour.  Long story. Long night sleeping outside the 02. Great night  with all my dear friends old and new. And The rob . Pj radio. 
    I have chronic health anxiety  and as the years have gone on gigs have become unbearable but such is my love for the love i feel for the togetherness it kept me going. Leeds was so hard but  london was a new level of terror. Anyhow. I spent all day before at the 02 with close friends i had made  all through  Europe  then night came. Felt alone  so got drunk. Next day met a new friend  Richard.  Queued  all.day . As it got near afternoon we all got moved into the venue. I could  not  cope at all. I wanted to go home. Im an honest guy.  I was a mess in tears. A guy  who was dying of blood cancer  offered me a valium i declined and thought 
     Come on rob sort your shit out you prick.
    Anyhow my dear friends ewa elder and keith her husband  cradled me. We got in. And ed said "good evening " i said to myself if i die now  . Its where i want to be......
    It all took me over.... i cried and cried (oh i forgot to say i was at this  time rail in front of ED.)
    When porch played  ed came to the crowd  and stood on the barricade  in front  of us 
     It was so out  of this world. I have been rail a few times but this time  ed came right up to me and held my hand . I had been crying.  It was whilst he sang the words... i just  wanna live.i knew that  i would never  touch you . Hold you .Feel you in my arms again . We had a moment that was 30 seconds. That felt like he knew i was in pain. I cant describe it.  
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Any glen hansard fans  here? Had some cool moments at his gig s.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited May 2021
    Oh one time when brad played the u.k i was thinking of going to london. But they played Birmingham a couple nights  before and my best friends  were going . On the day  i looked up hotels and tickets.  All available 
     My friend  marta said come  with us. So on the morning of the show i booked it all online and told my wife (at the time) im going  to leave now. 
     I did .... jumped in my van and rang my tour buddy simon, i told him "im going to Birmingham to meet stone".
    And thats what i did. With great  fear i startrd driving  into the unknown.  Late plans are great for anxiety.  You have no weeks months days to start making catastrophic situations.  I felt alive and free.  For  a short time. 
    Anyway great small gig . I had  been a 17 year old listening  amd feeling the  album  "shame".  A real soundtrack  to my youth. That  gig.
    It was soooo good.  Jumping  jack flash was a profound  memory and stone playing bongo  to 20th century.  After  the gig we waited  and spoke with  shawn for  a long time..what a guy 
     Such a kind real humble soul. A true gentleman.  
    Stone  came out
     There was only 10 of us. He spoke briefly and had pictures  but  he was worried  as his wife was in a snow storm back home and he was visibly  unsettled.  I have  a great photo where his  eyes where Opposite  direction s which  my friends found  funny. (I will find  it).

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited May 2021
    All in all its the  people  that you meet that make the occasion.  
    Not  the meetings.  It's  the day..the  build  up and mutual love. I love  the people  i met more  than the band.  I truly  do..some are now the  only people  in my life that  i call family
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited May 2021
    I have a tambo story.  Its like  the  tussle above but its captured on you tube.  Be back with the vid soon . Its night here  im up late dreaming 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Love these! Keep em coming!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    I feel like  im showing off.  I dont want that  to be the  case. Im sitting  here with the new bootlegs on spotify  reminiscing..
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Ok i have  some more. My profile pic on here is at London  last tour.  Long story. Long night sleeping outside the 02. Great night  with all my dear friends old and new. And The rob . Pj radio. 
    I have chronic health anxiety  and as the years have gone on gigs have become unbearable but such is my love for the love i feel for the togetherness it kept me going. Leeds was so hard but  london was a new level of terror. Anyhow. I spent all day before at the 02 with close friends i had made  all through  Europe  then night came. Felt alone  so got drunk. Next day met a new friend  Richard.  Queued  all.day . As it got near afternoon we all got moved into the venue. I could  not  cope at all. I wanted to go home. Im an honest guy.  I was a mess in tears. A guy  who was dying of blood cancer  offered me a valium i declined and thought 
    Anyhow my dear friends ewa elder and keith her husband  cradled me. We got in. And ed said "good evening " i said to myself if i die now  . Its where i want to be......
    It all took me over.... i cried and cried (oh i forgot to say i was at this  time rail in front of ED.)
    When porch played  ed came to the crowd  and stood on the barricade  in front  of us 
     It was so out  of this world. I have been rail a few times but this time  ed came right up to me and held my hand . I had been crying.  It was whilst he sang the words... i just  wanna live.i knew that  i would never  touch you . Hold you .Feel you in my arms again . We had a moment that was 30 seconds. That felt like he knew i was in pain. I cant describe it.  
    Chills...good one out of something bad. You can't get those moments without being way down. Sweet buddy!!
    edited May 2021
    I'll tell a tambo story (im not too proud of) I  told elsewhere before. 2000 before ev had boxes to toss to the crowd. Phoenix az. Right up front maybe a row back. Ed's handing a tambo down to a woman in front of me...YOINGK...I grab it before it reaches her. (What a jerk I know!!) I was caught in the moment and was gonna give it to my girl. my girl was like what are you doing. Ed looked like he was going to jump on my head for a beat down!. I went to hand back to the intended target...realizing my jerk move...someone else grabbed it. It was passed around and finally made it back to who it was for. Looking back...it was the end of the show...I shoulda took off with it! Honestly I'm happy she got it. Was the longest 30 seconds of my life!!!
     Picked up this poster last year. Hot!
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Any glen hansard fans  here? Had some cool moments at his gig s.
    Great stories you got to live out. I would expect great things out of any Glen story and would live to hear them.

Chicago of 2011, girlfriend of 2 years waited outside after solo Ed show. Waited...and waited...finally came out but wasn't talking or signing anything. Just went along the barricade smiling and shaking hands. Looked right at me as he was shaking a hand...but it wasn't my hand. Lol

Same venue but to see Glen around 2015...girlfriend and I parked in a garage and started walking when she pokes my side smiling a big smile saying "It's Glen!" It was quite frigid out but he was kind enough to stop and pose for a picture. Brief, but kind.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Loujoe said:
    I'll tell a tambo story (im not too proud of) I  told elsewhere before. 2000 before ev had boxes to toss to the crowd. Phoenix az. Right up front maybe a row back. Ed's handing a tambo down to a woman in front of me...YOINGK...I grab it before it reaches her. (What a jerk I know!!) I was caught in the moment and was gonna give it to my girl. my girl was like what are you doing. Ed looked like he was going to jump on my head for a beat down!. I went to hand back to the intended target...realizing my jerk move...someone else grabbed it. It was passed around and finally made it back to who it was for. Looking back...it was the end of the show...I shoulda took off with it! Honestly I'm happy she got it. Was the longest 30 seconds of my life!!!
     Picked up this poster last year. Hot!
    Yeah, I wouldn't tell that story anymore, lol.
    Hahah brutal savagery Chris 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    You deserved that tambourine too.
    Dumb fun anyway!! At least I got to hold it!! Wow 21 years ago.
    I have another embarrassing story told before but I'm BORED. So FYE (and my shame) really I don't think I'm a jerk, maybe I am!!
    Big fan of primus and stuff les does. He was playing 10 minutes from my house. Whales and Woe tour with that dude who played sax with mad season. Shriek? Amazing show!

So I went solo (because I'm a jerk) called an old friend before the show to talk outside the club. Pre-show chat. He got me into primus.. 
    So he goes off on how some old friends overdosed and died. Got me bummed, but whatever. I'll go see a great show and maybe blow off some steam. 
    Les is different than primus...no pit...but I may have bumped into a few chill fans aggressively. Once I realized I won't get a pit going. I met the chill vibe.
    Still dancing around like all the rest of the crowd, feeling the urge to give the world the finger. So I was sticking up my middle fingers. It's not church right? 
    Mr Claypool in pigface...stops the sold out show and has a conversation...with me...
    Les..'so why would you go to a show pay money to come give us the finger?'...silence spotlight on me...
    Les...'to me it means you want to have s.x with me or your a di.k.'.
    Crowd in unison..."HE'S A DI.K!!!"...more silence
    Me..."it means I want to go fishing with you"
    Les.."why would I want to go fishing with an a..hole"

I love that story...I just wish I wasn't the main character!!!
    Someone stop me and tell your own stories. Can't be worse than mine.
    PS. I don't stick my finger up at shows anymore. Maybe PJ, but only during Save You!

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Love that these stories have taken a turn to the heavy (and beautiful, seriously beautiful) and also the embarrassing! Keep em coming!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Wow, what an emotional story, it's beautiful! Thanks for sharing it.

This part in particular, just... heavy and beautiful:
    "I was a mess in tears. A guy  who was dying of blood cancer  offered me a valium i declined and thought 
    Anyhow my dear friends ewa elder and keith her husband  cradled me. We got in. And ed said "good evening " i said to myself if i die now  . Its where i want to be......"

Glad you lived to tell it all! And I hope the guy with blood cancer is still with us? <3
    He said he didn't  have long. And was living. Seemed  happy.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Loujoe said:
    Dumb fun anyway!! At least I got to hold it!! Wow 21 years ago.
    I have another embarrassing story told before but I'm BORED. So FYE (and my shame) really I don't think I'm a jerk, maybe I am!!
    Big fan of primus and stuff les does. He was playing 10 minutes from my house. Whales and Woe tour with that dude who played sax with mad season. Shriek? Amazing show!

So I went solo (because I'm a jerk) called an old friend before the show to talk outside the club. Pre-show chat. He got me into primus.. 
    So he goes off on how some old friends overdosed and died. Got me bummed, but whatever. I'll go see a great show and maybe blow off some steam. 
    Les is different than primus...no pit...but I may have bumped into a few chill fans aggressively. Once I realized I won't get a pit going. I met the chill vibe.
    Still dancing around like all the rest of the crowd, feeling the urge to give the world the finger. So I was sticking up my middle fingers. It's not church right? 
    Mr Claypool in pigface...stops the sold out show and has a conversation...with me...
    Les..'so why would you go to a show pay money to come give us the finger?'...silence spotlight on me...
    Les...'to me it means you want to have s.x with me or your a di.k.'.
    Crowd in unison..."HE'S A DI.K!!!"...more silence
    Me..."it means I want to go fishing with you"
    Les.."why would I want to go fishing with an a..hole"

I love that story...I just wish I wasn't the main character!!!
    Someone stop me and tell your own stories. Can't be worse than mine.
    PS. I don't stick my finger up at shows anymore. Maybe PJ, but only during Save You!

The only one that could top this is maybe the gal who made all the ruckus at that LA show a few years back?  Vedder stopped the show because of it.
    or maybe the guy that was pointing in that gal's face that got bounced from that show a few years back?  Vedder stopped the show for that one too.  Was that you?

I kid, but we do have room on the Asshole list.  I currently hold the #1 spot right @dankind?

You must have other redeeming stories?  If not please keep putting the bigger anvil on your chest because these are gold!
    edited May 2021
    Im sure i told  my tambo story.  Thankfully  its all caught  on you tube. A Canadian  of all people stole my one and ed came back and gave me another.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

https://youtu.be/McAuN97zn2s
     4.min onwards. Its me in my white  t shirt. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

2013 was the most I'd have seen the band interact with the crowd.  For that I am very grateful.  I only had GA twice and both times watched tambo's fly by me to others.  Even a kid whom had found his way to the rail the last song of the show and wound up with one, little bastard walked right past me...
    I've been to many shows without incident. Other than pushing someone over for a setlist...getting picked up by my face at a skinny puppy show...waking up on the floor of cbgbs after passing out (no drugs or drinking) just pushing the limits as a kid...locking eyes with RJ Dio and sharing devil horns while on the shoulders of a good friend...knocking over Al Jorgensen's bottle of booze before a stagedive.(sure I told this one before too).had em all lined up on the edge of the stage, revolting cocks... steer beers and queers...me ride the crowd into the bouncer pit...no bouncers...climb on stage...knock over bottle...high 5 AJ..he was shocked to see me...and launch into the crowd...lived to tell.. I love my life...
    Awesome Rob. You got hooked up!
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Love hearing all these stories, thanks for sharing all.
  • JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 80
    This is a memorabilia story, sorry no pics.  In 1998, my friend who worked at a record store gave me a cool promotional item for Yield, a life-sized 3-D cardboard Yield sign that said Pearl Jam on it.  I took this sign to several '98 shows for fun.  After the Cleveland Blossom Music Center show, my friend and I were in my car trying, very slowly, to get out of the parking lot.  I was holding the Yield sign out of my car window when two a**holes ran up and grabbed it and tried to  wrench it from my hands to steal it.  Luckily I had a tight grip and fought them off, but this moment in PJ history always left me feeling disappointed in humanity.  
    Cool sign and nice your friend gave it to you. Sorry that happened to you. Hope they grew out of that stage and are better people now.
    JC29866 said:
    This is a memorabilia story, sorry no pics.  In 1998, my friend who worked at a record store gave me a cool promotional item for Yield, a life-sized 3-D cardboard Yield sign that said Pearl Jam on it.  I took this sign to several '98 shows for fun.  After the Cleveland Blossom Music Center show, my friend and I were in my car trying, very slowly, to get out of the parking lot.  I was holding the Yield sign out of my car window when two a**holes ran up and grabbed it and tried to  wrench it from my hands to steal it.  Luckily I had a tight grip and fought them off, but this moment in PJ history always left me feeling disappointed in humanity.  
    @Loujoe Were you at this show?

I kid I kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have zero PJ meetings, cool things given to me.  Other bands I do though.

These are great.

@Loujoe that Jorgenen story is awesome!
    There was a guy I spoke to years ago.  Last name Noone.  He had a fantastic story.  Wish he were still on here.