Memories,Meetings,Memorabilia and the story and pictures behind them.

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    ^^^funny^^^^
    I saw Les Claypool and Brian Kehoe walking down the street in nyc. We were eating 'dollar' slices of pizza.
    He wasn't stopping to talk: Me, "hey Les, dollar slices." Les, "oh really"

Looking back I would have walked and chatted up a couple fish stories. At the time he probably wouldn't have liked that. Plus a couple of fans were speed walking after them!
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    Cool stories. Good thread Rob. Hope you are well mate
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Loujoe said:
    ^^^funny^^^^
    I saw Les Claypool and Brian Kehoe walking down the street in nyc. We were eating 'dollar' slices of pizza.
    He wasn't stopping to talk: Me, "hey Les, dollar slices." Les, "oh really"

Looking back I would have walked and chatted up a couple fish stories. At the time he probably wouldn't have liked that. Plus a couple of fans were speed walking after them!
    I may need to steal that for my next celebrity run-in:  "Hey super-cool musician/actor, dollar slices."

I love that, I love that a lot!  But it only works in NYC, doesn't it...
    edited April 2021
    You know what turns out to be a really interesting place to meet interesting people? On an Amtrak train.  2 yrs ago I was going to NYC on Amtrak and a guy and his daughter walked through and while I did - again - initially think "Oh, where do I know that guy from?" this time it was almost immediate: "That's Ethan Hawke".  But it's a 3 hour ride, so he and I passed each other or he showed up in the snack car at the same time as me about 4 times. Super cool guy, we talked twice in the snack line, and he handled a very funny but also rude older woman with a heavy NY accent really graciously.  She followed him into the snack car and said "My daughter says you're a famous actor. But I don't recognize you. Who are you?" He introduced himself and she said "But what were you in, were you in anything I know?" which was funny to the rest of us but also geeez lady, how rude!  He was very sweet and gracious but also over it and handled it perfectly.

One of my best friends was once doing a much longer Amtrak train ride and wanted to sit in the dining car, only 1 table that only had 1 person at it and it was an elderly woman.  My friend asked if she could sit with her and she welcomed her.  They started talking and talking and the more they talked, the more my friend noticed others in the food car were listening intently to their convo and often looking at them, but she didn't know why.  I won't tell the whole fascinating story of their convo, but they talked for 2 hours and near the end after she mentioned a book she'd written, my friend said "Well what's your name? I'll look for your books, I've loved talking to you" and the older woman smiled at her sweetly and said quietly "My name is Harper Lee".  As in, author of "To Kill A Mockingbird".  My friend had NO idea but that's when she realized several around them did know who she was and were listening to every word of their convo.

And I once had a boyfriend break up with me over brunch in a restaurant and in the middle of breaking up we realized that James Taylor (actual James Taylor) was sitting at a nearby table facing us and watching the whole thing (he lived in our city), so the rest of the difficult convo no matter how upset or mad or thoughtful one of us was, we'd eventuallly pause and say "Is James Taylor still watching us?  Oh man, he is, this is so weird!" and then we'd keep breaking up.  He and I are still friends (the ex, not me and James Taylor), I should ask him if he remembers that LOL! But really, how do you forget someone like JT, the guy who wrote "Fire & Rain", watching you break up?

It's a small surreal wonderful world isn't it! 
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    Loujoe said:
    I'll tell a quick one I'm sure I told before.
    Toronto film festival PJ20. Lucky my friend hooked me up with a ticket.
    Found seats about five rows back. Settled in and saw Chris Cornell sitting about ten rows behind us. 
    Only saw one person go talk to him. I decided I really wanted to chat. When will I ever have this chance. Didn't overthink it and went over to him. Said hi and talked about the first time in 89 I saw them play at 'city gardens' nj. (Only tour I saw them on, caught two shows) Talked about how he climbed the ceiling and kicked it in right over my head! He said he remembered that. We talked about the other band VoiVod they opened for.  I said bye and went to walk away and he kindly reached his hand out to shake mine...

How lucky I am to have seen those shows..something was up with the power of bands...energy of youth, even the garage bands I hung with had something...good stuff...
    Precovid I'd catch some killer new bands at a club by my house. So I guess the energy is still around, just a little more hidden from me.

Meant to say this is a really cool story Loujoe. Especially meaningful given later events... Love that he made sure to shake your hand as you were leaving.
    edited April 2021
    [Too many non-PJ stories  =) ]
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    Yeah sad and very special look at his character not dismissing me.
    We all aren't meant to be here forever. It's all the chances we take while we are here. 

JT watching a break up. So crazy!!

Saw tom hanks in nyc too. And that feeling you explain about I know him from somewhere is so true. 

Loujoe said:
    Yeah sad and very special look at his character not dismissing me.
    We all aren't meant to be here forever. It's all the chances we take while we are here. 

JT watching a break up. So crazy!!

Saw tom hanks in nyc too. And that feeling you explain about I know him from somewhere is so true. 

Wow, that is so beautifully stated... that is a precious mantra to have in life for sure: "We all aren't meant to be here forever. It's all the chances we take while we are here."  Love that <3

Yeah, especially in NYC where so many people really are that famous.  I've seen so many celebrities walking down the street or in a grocery store or bodega, or sometimes on the subway.  And DEFINITELY at other band's shows, both in NYC and LA it's like a combo of the Oscars, Grammys & Emmys sometimes at a really great band's show, the people watching is so good.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    @Loujoe we were sitting on the opposite side but even at a distance it’s difficult to miss Chris’ silhouette. Noticed that one person you mentioned walk up but didn’t approach. 

On a completely random note I showed up early at O’Hare the morning after the ‘13 Wrigley show only to discover my flight was cancelled. Waited ~12 hours on standby until finally taking off. It was funny early on that morning trying to get comfortable as I noticed a bunch of the band’s techs and crew members (poster tubes in hand) saying goodbye to each other as there were headed to separate gates. Later on I kept noticing a familiar face in a white tweed suit checking in on his departure time...at this point I was going on just a couple hours of sleep but each time he walked up to the gate I got closer to recalling his name until it dawned on me it was John C Reilly. He was travelling with his son and was never recognized. I was a fan but didn’t want to draw attention to or bother him so let him be. Kind of a random way to end that trip lol.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    edited April 2021
    @100 Pacer How cool.was that watching pj20 with pearl jam!! There were lots of movie stars hanging during tiff. Great times
    Good sighting of john reilly.  It's like bird watching of celebrities. I should have a checklist! Saw one of the dudes from Hanson at a diner in Cali!!!!
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,710
    The story behind this is...
    I went to see soundgarden with my good friends  mick and marta, 1st night was either Manchester  or Birmingham  cant recall. Anyway we were in the rail it was epic. Half way through  chris pointed at me and said give me your  shirt. So i took off my shirt  and threw him it. (Marta has a picture of him holding  it up to the crowd. I alas do not, i miss marta and mick. )
    Anyhow i was 16 stone and shirtless. Now i realised this. But c.c was holding my shirt so i was in a daze. 
    He threw it back and we all were happy.
    Next show me and marta were there early and we heard sound check and wondered nearer to the  sound. Then it stopped and we chatted with a French  friend.  Before we knew it the  stage doors flung open and out came matt and kim. Marta was selfless enough  to speak out to matt and say xan my friend  have a photo . He said sure and signed my shirt  . Marta then said could he have your sweatband. He gave it to me amd a drum stick. 
    I was floored then kim came and i asked and he signed  it too.
    It was surreal.  
    When s.g  played london marta wasn't  there and matts roadie  came found me in the queue  and said matt wants your shirt to put in his tour case (i had a few. So retired the signed one of course). I had no other  shirt  so he gave me a road crew tour shirt. We swapped. 
    Long story short. He gave me a sweatband. 
    I sent  it in the post to marta and gave mick the  crew shirt. 
    Friends for life although i lost contact with marta that saddens me.
    But to give is better than to recieve.
    Big love
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Great story!  thanks for sharing another one.  super cool that your friend asked MC for his sweatband and the bonus drumstick. You must have been surprised when the roadie came and asked for your shirt. Such cool memories. Thanks again for sharing them. 
    edited May 2021
    Im looking  through my box of "stuff" .
    Im going to send my friends son a hoodie and drum stick.   Happiness is only real when shared 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Keep the stick! Or not...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Awesome story Rob!!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited May 2021
    I got memories i got shit. I wish i could  find the photos i have of meetings and places  and stuff  they all seem to be lost or on devices  or old accounts. Sad.  I will  search and come back with some
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Love your story! Especially smile about the moment you realize you were shirtless, maybe for the night, but Chris Cornell had your shirt so you went back to being in nirvana (the state of being, not the band ;) )
    JH6056 said:
    Love your story! Especially smile about the moment you realize you were shirtless, maybe for the night, but Chris Cornell had your shirt so you went back to being in nirvana (the state of being, not the band ;) )
    So true.  Ive always been so so conscious of my weight even now i lost 3 stone and still. At that moment  there were females all around  and if you had told me i would be shirtless i would  have bet you 1 million i would  not hahah but c.c can do that even to a straight man.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Ben Shepard  is a huge  guy. I had a picture  with him. Im 6ft he was much bigger than  me and nicer guy than his grumpy  perception. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• fgalpernfgalpern Posts: 208
    I've met Ed 2 times, and also my son and I had a phone conversation with him.

First time was at Lollapalooza '92 in NJ. I was with my girlfriend looking at jewelry in the little shopping area, near the side stage where stuff like Jim Rose Circus Sideshow was happening. We were pointing at a ring when the guy and his girlfriend pointed at the same ring. We looked at each other and smiled, and I realized it was Ed and Beth. He was wearing this strange brimless blue velour hat, not super famous yet so nobody seemed to recognize him. I was a fan but not as much as I became later that year. Anyway, I said "Hey Ed, looking forward to seeing you guys play, when do you go on?" He said something like "Soon, you better get over there." in a very mellow, friendly way. Not a big deal meeting but the next two were much more meaningful.

Second time was Day 1 at The Tibetan Freedom Concert on Randall's Island in NYC. My fiancé and I were walking back from the food area which took us past one of the tall backstage gates. From about 50 feet away I saw this little dude come out from the gate by himself. He has dressed in typically 90's short and t-shirt, but had very dark curly black hair that went his ears, more afro than common 90s cut. He also had a light blue backpack with all kinds of hand drawn markings on it. I was looking at him because he looked interesting, when he picked his head up and saw his blue eyes and remembered his face from Lollapalooza a few years before, and of course because by this time he was super famous and I was a very big fan. As he got closer to us, I said to my fiancé that it was Ed. She laughed and said no way. We passed him, and I turned around and called out "Ed, hey Ed, is that you?" He stopped for a second, almost turned, but then kept walking. My first mistake. I asked my fiancé if she would go with me and talk to him and she refused. She was more used to celebrity encounters, as she worked at an NYC restaurant that a few famous folks visited. Anyway, I went alone to try and talk to him. By the time I caught up with him, he was signing one of the petitions at a table. I stood next to him and also signed, and then he looked at me and smiled. I took that as an opening to reach out and shake his hand, and said "Thanks so much. It's really a pleasure to meet you. Your music saved me." I had lost my father to suicide several months before this a No Code was on steady repeat, literally keeping me focused and sane during what was a very traumatic time. His response floored me. He said "No, you did it. You saved yourself." I couldn't speak and even though he was gripping my hand firmly and looking me right in the eye I broke contact and just said something lame like "Uh, thanks." and we parted with a smile. Mistake 2. I felt terrible and after collecting myself began walking behind him by about 20 paces so I didn't look too stalkery. It was amazing that nobody recognized him but his look was similar to his Yield look so not entirely unsurprising. After a couple of minutes of aimlessly wandering he must have noticed me. He stopped and before he could get too freaked out, I slowly walked over and apologized for freezing up before. He was very gracious so I asked if he would be willing to talk for a few minutes. He said "Sure, what's up?" Rather than burden him with more hero worship I talked to him like any other music fan. U2 had just played a short set, and I recalled him saying interviews that he was a fan, so I asked him what he thought of their set as I was a bit disappointed in the songs they chose. He talked a bit about how hard it is to choose songs for shows like this but thought they played well. We talked for a few more minutes, and then shook hands and said goodbye. It was amazing, what a good guy.

Third time was fairly recent. I heard that Ed was going to take calls on the SiriusXm PJ channel radio show. I called in a minute or two early hoping to get an early spot "in line" to talk with him. When I got through to Rob immediately, I was super excited. Fortunately, my then teenage son, who has been my PJ show buddy for years now, was home and sat with me while we waited for our chance to talk with Ed. We couldn't believe our luck when we were the first ones to talk with him! I probably went on a bit too much, but he was amazingly cool and seemed more interested in my son than me, which was perfect. There was a weird delay so the call was a little odd, but ended with him talking about parent and child relationships that was incredibly important to my son and I.

Sorry this was so long. It was fun to write and revisit these memories in some detail. The other stories shared in this thread are just great, thanks everyone for sharing.
    10C Member # 6,9XX - from 1992 to Present, attended 40 shows and counting...
    I love  hearing  stories.  Its a buzz  to relive for sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Great storytelling. I was at that nj 92 show! The only thing I remember about pj was jumping in the pit for RITFW.  I still drive by that field and remember all the great bands that played. 
  • mrezoocmrezooc Posts: 119
    Great stories!! Can’t wait to connect with the PJ family again. Hopefully it’s sooner than later. 
    edited May 2021
    Great retelling @fgalpern! Glad things worked out well each time!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    The story behind this is...
    I went to see soundgarden with my good friends  mick and marta, 1st night was either Manchester  or Birmingham  cant recall. Anyway we were in the rail it was epic. Half way through  chris pointed at me and said give me your  shirt. So i took off my shirt  and threw him it. (Marta has a picture of him holding  it up to the crowd. I alas do not, i miss marta and mick. )
    Anyhow i was 16 stone and shirtless. Now i realised this. But c.c was holding my shirt so i was in a daze. 
    He threw it back and we all were happy.
    Next show me and marta were there early and we heard sound check and wondered nearer to the  sound. Then it stopped and we chatted with a French  friend.  Before we knew it the  stage doors flung open and out came matt and kim. Marta was selfless enough  to speak out to matt and say xan my friend  have a photo . He said sure and signed my shirt  . Marta then said could he have your sweatband. He gave it to me amd a drum stick. 
    I was floored then kim came and i asked and he signed  it too.
    It was surreal.  
    When s.g  played london marta wasn't  there and matts roadie  came found me in the queue  and said matt wants your shirt to put in his tour case (i had a few. So retired the signed one of course). I had no other  shirt  so he gave me a road crew tour shirt. We swapped. 
    Long story short. He gave me a sweatband. 
    I sent  it in the post to marta and gave mick the  crew shirt. 
    Friends for life although i lost contact with marta that saddens me.
    But to give is better than to recieve.
    Big love
    I found the  picture 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Sooooo cool!
    Awesome Rob. What a treasured experience. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2021
    No pic, just a Jack Drumstick with green grip, but the story was great.  95 Milwaukeefest , show is over.  My best bud and I drunkish and waiting for the crowd to thin.  Had 5th row fan club seats, just us and a couple about 3 seats down in our section.  Just talking, waiting and the crew chucks one of Jack's sticks in the two rows in front of us in the aisle.  My bud books it hopping rows the couple was closer, and the woman of the pair and my bud grab an opposite end of it at the same exact time.  They sort of wiggle into a row again, I get there, boyfriend too,  and we basically establish a 4 person tug of war on a drumstick.

All of us pulling she yells out "let's just break it in half and share it"   my bud and I look at each other as we grunt and say FUCK NO.  He does a full 180 while holding it, and ass bumps it out.  I grab it and run like hell for the lot with my pal.  She chases us yelling cmon guys lets share it.

Victorious and escaped we decide to rotate who gets it each year.  After 1 year he just says you keep it, so I have a stick from my favorite PJ drummer.

Story 2- Ed give my sister his pick.  Front Row center from cancelled Toldeo show make up tickets at Alpine Valley 98.  My sister a huge Ed Mark, does her girl shit, cant recall after what song, Ed looks right at us, points at us (total Katyan/Ferrel SNL brothers thing me?  You? Me?)  He gets right up in front of us takes her hand, puts his guitar pick in it, closes her fingers around it with his hands, on to the next song.  My mind blown
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
    This thread brings me joy in a time  of very little. Im going to look at my atuff again today and see what i can remember. 
    Nobody is that interested  in my life. But here we all feel it.  Nice to share with people that FEEL it.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07