Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    edited May 2021
    I will be seeing DMB live for the first time since 2001 this September at the Pilgrimage Festival. Looking forward to it. Last time I had nosebleeds but it was still fun and Neil and Crazy Horse opened. 
    Post edited by pjpjpaul on
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    pjpjpaul said:
    I will be seeing DMB live for the first time since 2001 this September at the Pilgrimage Festival. Looking forward to it. Last time I had nosebleeds but it was still fun and Neil and Crazy Horse opened. 
    Nice.  You should try to make it to the VA Beach show.  It's not nearly as painful as a Bristow show. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    pjpjpaul said:
    I really like the lineup for Pilgrimage, but I have a conflict so can't do it. If I went it would be my first DMB show since 2008, which was my 1st since 2004 before that, so it's been awhile for me too.

Enjoy!
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Nice.  You should try to make it to the VA Beach show.  It's not nearly as painful as a Bristow show. 
    Painful traffic wise? I know Jiffy Lube Live is crazy to get in and out of. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Painful traffic wise? I know Jiffy Lube Live is crazy to get in and out of. 
    Yes, JL is stupid.  I hate going there because of it.  Merriweather is not terrible.  VA Beach sits near the interstates. 
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    pjpjpaul said:

See ya there
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Hopefully the shows happen for you guys with all of the uncertainty still out there these days. They rarely come around here, so I'm out this year. I think the last time was the super bowl a few years back, and that was a really weird show considering most of us didn't find out Boyd was gone until we were in line to get in. I did Labor Dave weekend the last time they played the Gorge, so I'm good for a while.
    Hopefully the shows happen for you guys with all of the uncertainty still out there these days. They rarely come around here, so I'm out this year. I think the last time was the super bowl a few years back, and that was a really weird show considering most of us didn't find out Boyd was gone until we were in line to get in. I did Labor Dave weekend the last time they played the Gorge, so I'm good for a while.
    I remember that timing around the SB and Boyd.  It was all strange and probably very uncomfortable for the band.  I wonder if they will ever let him back in.  Do people get to repent?  I don't know the details, only the accusations about him with some random people along with Peter G., so there may be more to the story.  But for what I know now, I'd like to see him back some day.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I've never been able to get into them.  It seems like when you add a violin player they tend to insert themselves where they don't belong in every song.  My opinion I guess.

But yeah....I forgot about Boyd.  What I read said he was jerking off by a trumpet player.  Kind of strange.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Strange is just the tip of the iceberg with Boyd
    They should just get another violinist. I know people love the image and energy (well from the 90s and early aughts) of Boyd, but man was he shitty live. 
    They should just get another violinist. I know people love the image and energy (well from the 90s and early aughts) of Boyd, but man was he shitty live. 
    I agree, I don't think he was great live.  And yes, another violinist would be great.  Tim doesn't make up for him in the least.  There are so many great songs that center or have important parts with the violin.  Maybe Lillie Mae is free.  
    Would like to see Boyd back in the band. His whole deal was pretty weird, but if I understand it correctly, no charges were filed and it's basically "over". 

If they don't feel like Boyd should come back then another violin should absolutely be added. Their songs were built with a violin and it's time to bring it back. Hell, the immediately replaced Roi when he passed away, no reason they shouldn't replace Boyd if he truly won't ever be coming back. 
    Agreed that we need that violin back, but not sure bringing Boyd back would be a smart business decision. On the other hand, not sure if Dave cares what people think, so who knows?
    Agreed that we need that violin back, but not sure bringing Boyd back would be a smart business decision. On the other hand, not sure if Dave cares what people think, so who knows?
    Add some country to the jazz band...

edited May 2021
    Boyd was problematic before he started masturbating next to one of his crystal garden bandmates. Lots of unsanctioned fan meet and greets with weird hugging. He's had substance issues, arthritis in his bow hand, missed recording sessions. On top of that he doesn't play well anymore. DMB doesn't need a famous fiddler, just maybe A fiddler. But it can't be Boyd just for nostalgia's sake. It was a good run, but DMB is basically a different beast than it was 20 years ago and thats OK.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Boyd was problematic before he started masturbating next to one of his crystal garden bandmates. Lots of unsanctioned fan meet and greets with weird hugging. He's had substance issues, arthritis in his bow hand, missed recording sessions. On top of that he doesn't play well anymore. DMB doesn't need a famous fiddler, just maybe A fiddler. But it can't be Boyd just for nostalgia's sake. It was a good run, but DMB is basically a different beast than it was 20 years ago and thats OK.

Could we have Roi back?
    Only if they roll him out on his ATV. 
    Yikes!  Too soon?

I do miss Roi.  Rawshawn and Jeff are good, but Roi played with a soul that they simply cannot match.  A friend of mine went to HS with him in C'ville and also played sax.  My friend was second chair in band and said the difference between him and Roi was a mile wide.  Said he was an amazing  sax player as a very young man.  
    Jumb0 said:
    Would like to see Boyd back in the band. His whole deal was pretty weird, but if I understand it correctly, no charges were filed and it's basically "over". 

If they don't feel like Boyd should come back then another violin should absolutely be added. Their songs were built with a violin and it's time to bring it back. Hell, the immediately replaced Roi when he passed away, no reason they shouldn't replace Boyd if he truly won't ever be coming back. 
    The Boyd stuff... it was complicated before it was public. I would be SHOCKED if after the very public allegations they ever had him back.  Because if he ever did anything shady again, then they'd ALL be liable for it because they had knowledge of things that had happened before.

But agreed on bringing in a new violin player, and maybe now it's been enough time that they themselves wouldn't feel bad about doing that.  I don't know if they feel "bad" about what happened with Boyd, I just imagine they do.  Thing with Roi is, as invaluable as he was to the band, the music songwriting, and the songs, he actually passed away, as opposed to doing something allegedly illegal and gross.  They didn't kick Roi out of the band for bad acts, he passed away and is not still around to have feelings one way or another on being replaced.  Also too many songs had his magic in them so they HAD to somewhat replace him.  With Boyd, they kicked him out following some problematic eents and he's still out there so if they'd just replaced him right away, many of them might have felt really crappy about that even if what Boyd did is Boyd's fault.

We'll see, maybe this year off invigorated them (I heard the shows were getting a bit tired and uninspired in the last 6 or 7 yrs) and maybe they'll be inspired to bring on a new violin player...

Well said. Didn't see this before I posted my last msg, but totally agree and damn, you went into details! ;)  But all true, all true.
    Buddy Strong has apparently really beefed up their sound and given the band new life. By all accounts he’s amazing and the shows are fantastic. 

I may consider going later in the summer for the first time in 15 years or something. 
    O.M.G!!!!  Pretty sure these meets were after I wasn't around them anymore, but dang those hugs were ENDLESS!  "Awkward" doesn't even begin to describe that...  And yeah, as much as I'm pretty sure his main interest was guys, he held onto the ladies pretty dang long too.
    mrussel1 said:
    Yikes!  Too soon?

I do miss Roi.  Rawshawn and Jeff are good, but Roi played with a soul that they simply cannot match.  A friend of mine went to HS with him in C'ville and also played sax.  My friend was second chair in band and said the difference between him and Roi was a mile wide.  Said he was an amazing  sax player as a very young man.   
    Yeah, even 13 yrs later, still definitely too soon for ATV jokes, c'mon Tim Simmons!
    Buddy Strong has apparently really beefed up their sound and given the band new life. By all accounts he’s amazing and the shows are fantastic. 

I may consider going later in the summer for the first time in 15 years or something. 

Buddy was a good addition, but they need a fiddle too
    Jumb0 said:

Buddy was a good addition, but they need a fiddle too
    I really like Buddy.  The lack of a piano/keys for the last decade was noticeable to me.  I really liked Butch in the band.  Reynolds did not make up for that sound. 
    I never thought of saying this in 1999, but I feel like Tim is a bit much.

mrussel1 said:
    Yikes!  Too soon?

I was first trombone in concert band, ya know, in case they want to add one to the band. Also played in jazz band. ;)
    Question for the pros: One of my favorite shows is Community. In the Ass Crack Bandit episode, they determined that the Bandit was a Dave fan, as only true fans call him, according to the episode. My question is was Dave on board with this, was he a fan, friends with Joel McHale since they both live in Seattle, or am I reaching here? Weird question, I know, just always been curious. Obviously, they don't need his permission, but it'd be cooler if they got it. :)