PRIMUS!

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    RW8297 said:
    I would do it if it included Seas of Cheese and Frizzle Fry
  • MayDay10 said:
    RW8297 said:
    I would do it if it included Seas of Cheese and Frizzle Fry
    They were supposed to be coming out with a boxed set. I’m not sure if this is taking the place of that idea, instead, or if they will still do that.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I, like most, only know Primus because of 'My Name is Mud' and 'South Park.' I'm seeing them with Tool and wanted to brush up on them so I got a handful of their records from the library and I'm not impressed so far. Green Naugahyde was dreadful and I just started Pork Soda and my hopes aren't high I'll like anything by them. How does a band like this with the 'sounds' (I hesitate to call it music) even survive? Were they all independently wealthy before they even started the band? Who would even buy one of their CDs? That being said, I'm hoping the 'music' translates better live and they put on a a good show.
    THey are good live.  I don't own any of their records but had a good time at the show.

It did rub me the wrong way that they didn't do an encore or says "thanks" or anything.  Song ended...off the stage.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I think if you don't like/enjoy Primus by now, there is little chance it will happen (unless you are a jam band fan who has somehow overlooked Claypool over the years).

This last tour, a few people at work were going to a show and asking me about it (knowing I'm a fan and was attending).  Basically, I told them that it wasn't "entry level" and it will seem very strange, they wont get it and be turned off.  Just try to enjoy/respect possibly the greatest active bass player in the world.  Sure enough, the next morning they gave me funny looks and they had left the show early.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Thanks Mookie
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    Saw primus/les many times. Caught NYC show with frog brigade when their encore was the whole Floyd animals. Dang dilly o. If you don't get it that's fine but if you do consider yourself lucky! 
    Got VIP for the Claypool Lennon  Delirium  next Saturday.  Highlight of the Summer, love their stuff!  Its genius 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I love some Primus. Albums and live. Such a great band and so original. Have seen them many times, the latest at the greatest music venue I have ever been to (The Greek Theatre in Berkeley, California) with Mastodon. Great show and their last album was awesome live. Thinking of catching them opening for Slayer this summer/fall. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    The Claypool Lennon Delirium is the best live act I have ever seen. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    MayDay10 said:
    I saw they were in NJ yesterday but could not make it.  Awesome to hear that they are throwing fastballs.
    Claypool is a fucking genius.  I go down the YouTube rabbit hole at least 1x per month....there is so much to consume.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    MayDay10 said:
    I saw they were in NJ yesterday but could not make it.  Awesome to hear that they are throwing fastballs.
    Claypool is a fucking genius.  I go down the YouTube rabbit hole at least 1x per month....there is so much to consume.
    I agree.   He works too, there is like no downtime.  He performs in my area sometimes multiple times in a year.

I hate to say it, but Primus/Claypool might have supplanted Pearl Jam as my favorite.  

If there is an opportunity, see Claypool Lennon Delirium.   I snuck some tunes on my wife's (she doesnt even really like Primus) jogging mix and now we are considering dumping the kids off and driving to Utica to see the show at the Saranac Brewery.

The Flaming Lips too.  Great double billing.  Top 1 or 3 concert experience in my life.  I even like the Particle Kid opener.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I agree.   He works too, there is like no downtime.  He performs in my area sometimes multiple times in a year.

I hate to say it, but Primus/Claypool might have supplanted Pearl Jam as my favorite.  

If there is an opportunity, see Claypool Lennon Delirium.   I snuck some tunes on my wife's (she doesnt even really like Primus) jogging mix and now we are considering dumping the kids off and driving to Utica to see the show at the Saranac Brewery.

The Flaming Lips too.  Great double billing.  Top 1 or 3 concert experience in my life.  I even like the Particle Kid opener.
    Good feedback, thanks.  I am not partial to The Flaming Lips, but would give 'em a whirl, live.
    I do have some clients upstate...might need to try and work that in.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Good feedback, thanks.  I am not partial to The Flaming Lips, but would give 'em a whirl, live.
    I do have some clients upstate...might need to try and work that in.

The Flaming Lips live are an experience like no other.

edited September 2020
    Primusville has some 2018 band signed posters for 75 smacker sale. I had to go to e beans to see pictures of tour posters to see what they are. Kinda hidden in the store. Poster vault, click on Utah poster. Once you click you can pick a city. Lots are sold out, but maybe find one you can't say no to........I snagged a Nashville Jackson print I never saw and it's a keeper.

^^^^EDIT...poster is the pictured one on site...
    I made a mistake.

Primus sucks.

Post edited by Loujoe on
    Indeed

Thanks for sharing!
    I made a mistake. Poster is the pictured one with venue/city listed on bottom. Thought I was getting show/artist specific poster. Just fyi. Whoops.
    Anyone see that les claypool for president pin sell today? I was curious. Added to my cart, but thought 50 for two pins was crazy. It sold out in minutes! Just never knew there was such a demand for pins. It is cool looking. 
    My buddy & I grabbed VIP tickets for Primus in Boston in September... no small chunk of change, but I haven't had a single regret with the other 3 concert VIPs I did... also saved a few bucks not going to concerts last year, so it was a no brainer. 

Looking forward to meeting this band 29 years after the first time I ever saw them.  :o 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    My buddy & I grabbed VIP tickets for Primus in Boston in September... no small chunk of change, but I haven't had a single regret with the other 3 concert VIPs I did... also saved a few bucks not going to concerts last year, so it was a no brainer. 

Looking forward to meeting this band 29 years after the first time I ever saw them.  :o 
    Enjoy. I heart primus. where did all that time go. Whatcha gonna say? I can't remember the first time I saw them, but made it a habit for a while back then...into les's side stuff. ffbrigade, holy mackerel, sausage, duo. All fantastic to have seen.
    Missed out on any 'recent' primus.  I don't know why I didn't go to that slayer ministry primus show. Can't do it all...
    Dream line-up.

I looked at doing this in Philly a few years back but didn't.  Will be interested to hear how it goes whenever that goes off and you can do the meet & greet.  I think I would dork out and try to talk fishing with them.  (Or tell some stupid Pork Soda story revealing what drugged up idiots we were when that came out.)
    I saw them open for U2 on the Zoo TV tour in '92 w/ the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (SP?), I was 15 years old - that will probably be the only thing of note that I tell them... 29 years is a long f'ing time. 

I would imagine Les wouldn't mind talking fishing either. 

I have seen them few times since, had 2nd row for the Sailing the Seas of Cheese anniversary tour (01, '02?) and a few more shows since then.

As cool as it will be to meet them (I hope), I'm more excited to see them perform up close again (4th row). 
    I saw them open for U2 on the Zoo TV tour in '92 w/ the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (SP?), I was 15 years old - that will probably be the only thing of note that I tell them... 29 years is a long f'ing time. 

I would imagine Les wouldn't mind talking fishing either. 

I have seen them few times since, had 2nd row for the Sailing the Seas of Cheese anniversary tour (01, '02?) and a few more shows since then.

As cool as it will be to meet them (I hope), I'm more excited to see them perform up close again (4th row). 

Awesome!  I have some stories of seeing them back in the day as well.  Saw them a bunch of times between 92 and 96-ish and then again in the 2000s and 2010s.
    I'm psyched... my wife didn't mind me cancelling the DMB tix I got just because I was desperate for a show... I'm much happier putting that money towards a VIP for Primus. 
    I'm psyched... my wife didn't mind me cancelling the DMB tix I got just because I was desperate for a show... I'm much happier putting that money towards a VIP for Primus. 

DMB put on a good show but Primus = x100 vs DMB.

I'm just not a fan, really... great musicians, great songwriters, I have all the respect in the world for them, they were just never my bag. DMB seemed like a great idea when there were no other shows to speak of, but once Primus became available... "Sorry babe" (she's not a big concert goer anyway, usually just tags along) 

I'm just not a fan, really... great musicians, great songwriters, I have all the respect in the world for them, they were just never my bag. DMB seemed like a great idea when there were no other shows to speak of, but once Primus became available... "Sorry babe" (she's not a big concert goer anyway, usually just tags along) 

same, pretty much. 
    I threw my rainbow trout hat on stage and a penguin waddled over and grabbed it..same show I think someone threw a dried up sunny up there. Ahh the good ol days. 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Got tix to see them play Rush's Farewell to Kings in Richmond this October 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)