*** GUNS N' ROSES ***

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    If Illusions 1 and 2 was just one album you’d have a strong argument for the best debut and follow up albums in rock history.  
    Besides it being their third release?
    Lies is 2 EPs combined.  Cp3 dont count that. 
    FAKE NEWS!  Lies! is my favorite GnR work.  The acoustic side is flawless, honestly. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    If Illusions 1 and 2 was just one album you’d have a strong argument for the best debut and follow up albums in rock history.  
    FAKE NEWS!  Lies! is my favorite GnR work.  The acoustic side is flawless, honestly. 
    I like it but you’ve got 4 songs recorded in 1986 that were already released.  Then 4 post-Appetite songs tacked on at the end.  Its like Lost Dogs to me. 
  • While Lies has its great moments, the electric side is mostly cringe worthy cash grab by the label bullshit. One in a million, take away its homophobic and racist lyrics, is just a sorry song. Move to the city. B side at best. Actually the first three songs. 🤢🤢   If Lies didn’t have patience, it would easily have been forgotten. IMO of course. But is it even the same genetic makeup of Appetite or the Illusions. Not even same gene pool.  
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    While Lies has its great moments, the electric side is mostly cringe worthy cash grab by the label bullshit. One in a million, take away its homophobic and racist lyrics, is just a sorry song. Move to the city. B side at best. Actually the first three songs. 🤢🤢   If Lies didn’t have patience, it would easily have been forgotten. IMO of course. But is it even the same genetic makeup of Appetite or the Illusions. Not even same gene pool.  
    Mama Kin cover is not cringe worthy in the least. Move to the City is good too, at least compared to lots of other shit they put out there. Even throwing away Million, I still think the other three acoustics are excellent. 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited September 2020
    The acoustic side is awesome. Used to love her is just a cool fun song. But patience made people buy that album. Mama kin. Cool. But is it the keyboard action alone on 14 years  Not even close. A garage band can cover Mama Kin. A classic band writes 3 full albums of heaven. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    The acoustic side is awesome. Used to love her is just a cool fun song. But patience made people buy that album. Mama kin. Cool. But is it the keyboard action alone on 14 years  Not even close. A garage band can cover Mama Kin. A classic band writes 3 full albums of heaven. 
    Hey I think they're a bunch of aholes (Axl specifically) and spent 25 years despising them. I'm just saying of their releases,  Lies, particularly the acoustic side,  is their best work IMO. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    I really like the acoustic side of lies too.  I kind of made an extended version by adding some of the extra acoustic tracks from the appetite box set.   Acoustic version of move to the city is awesome.   Pretty good cover of jumpin jack flash.  

As much as I love GNR their creative window was so short.  Appetite, Lies, UYI1&2.  87 to 91.   I'm not sure why I don't dig the spaghetti incident more.  It's kind of up up my alley.  A disc primarily of punk covers.    I am curious if they'll ever put out something new with the current version of the band (or if they're going to tour on the merits of 3.5 albums forever).
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Aside from the lyrics to One In A Million, I agree. Those have not aged well. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Locomotive and Coma are two of their best imo
    Locomotive and Estranged are my to favourite GNR tunes
    Kearnsy
    Estranged is awesome. Estranged > November Rain, all day.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JimmyV said:
    Swimming with dolphins > weddings, suicides, funerals?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Swimming with dolphins > weddings, suicides, funerals?
    Even if Estranged weren't a better song, the answer to your question would still be yes. 

• Early piano demo of Estranged...
    https://youtu.be/lewNiIDVsiM
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Is that Axl playing that? Because that sounds way better than he ever played (I haven't listened to them since 93ish)

• This sounds pretty decent:

https://youtu.be/Qi7UC8dreQM
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    So I am looking into a show that probably will not happen this summer in Toronto. There are two kinds of GA tickets that I am looking at. One looks to be regular GA for roughly $345. You can also get early entry for $750. Its called Patience Early Entry Package. My question is does anyone know how early are we talking here or does anyone have any experience in the last couple of tours of either ticket option?
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    PJNB said:
    So I am looking into a show that probably will not happen this summer in Toronto. There are two kinds of GA tickets that I am looking at. One looks to be regular GA for roughly $345. You can also get early entry for $750. Its called Patience Early Entry Package. My question is does anyone know how early are we talking here or does anyone have any experience in the last couple of tours of either ticket option?
    I'd suggest saving the extra money. I don't know what the package consists of, but when I went in maybe 2016, I was excited to see the full band, and thought that the high price of floor seats would keep away the a-holes. WRONG. Spent what was around $250/per (face value) and had the worst people all around me. Just inconsiderate, rude jerks. Snuck others into our row, spilled shit all over everyone and everything, fights, and a random lady even helped herself to my nachos while the usher checked my ticket!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    hihobibo said:
    PJNB said:
    I'd suggest saving the extra money. I don't know what the package consists of, but when I went in maybe 2016, I was excited to see the full band, and thought that the high price of floor seats would keep away the a-holes. WRONG. Spent what was around $250/per (face value) and had the worst people all around me. Just inconsiderate, rude jerks. Snuck others into our row, spilled shit all over everyone and everything, fights, and a random lady even helped herself to my nachos while the usher checked my ticket!
    Damn lol I think of all that the Nachos would have pissed me off the most. I am going to be patient to see what the likely 2022 dates will be unless they push everything to the fall. Thanks for the advice 
    hihobibo said:
    PJNB said:
    GnR fans.. what do you expect?  The 80s were the worst.  

I agree not to spend big bucks.  The reality is with stadium tours, unless you're right up front, you spend most the night looking at the screen.  Might as well be in the lower stands if you're screen staring. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    My sister just texted me about this tour. She asked me if I thought 2021 would happen. She really wants me to go with her if it does. She has seen them a few times. I never have. I am considering it. I like them and I miss live music so much. 
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJNB said:
    As someone living in Toronto I can pretty well guarantee you’re looking at 2022, if then. Still holding onto PJ tix here, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GlowGirl said:
    My sister just texted me about this tour. She asked me if I thought 2021 would happen. She really wants me to go with her if it does. She has seen them a few times. I never have. I am considering it. I like them and I miss live music so much. 

Saw them 2 times since they've been back - one time in a stadium and it was fun...and the other time about 5-6 rows from stage in Wells Fargo Center and it was off the hook. 
    They are old.  If you like their music you will have a good time, I think.  (If it happens.)  Go with her!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    GlowGirl said:

Saw them 2 times since they've been back - one time in a stadium and it was fun...and the other time about 5-6 rows from stage in Wells Fargo Center and it was off the hook. 
    They are old.  If you like their music you will have a good time, I think.  (If it happens.)  Go with her!
    Within the past few years I saw Paul McCartney, The Who, and the Rolling Stones. I can handle old :)

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Well they are similar age wise to the Pearl Jam guys, so they aren't that old...not even close to Macca The Who and the Stones.
    And they can still bring it. 
    Definitely go if the show happens.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^Agreed.  Saw them at the U.C. in 2017 and they killed it.  3+ hour show.  Definitely worth going to.
    bbiggs said:
    ^Agreed.  Saw them at the U.C. in 2017 and they killed it.  3+ hour show.  Definitely worth going to.
    Miami for me. Opened with Its so Easy and never took a break for three hours.  Axl works way harder now than in 1989.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I always wondered about One In A Million. Was he actually saying those things, or was he portraying a character, and then clapping back lyrically? It's a debate I've had with friends, and I honestly don't know the answer.

The reason I ask is that he used a homophobic slur in the song, but then participated in a Freddy Mercury tribute. He's also performed with Elton John. Slash has performed with BB King, and praised James Brown publicly. 

It mm makes the slurs seem hypocritical.

3days said:
    I always wondered about One In A Million. Was he actually saying those things, or was he portraying a character, and then clapping back lyrically? It's a debate I've had with friends, and I honestly don't know the answer.

The reason I ask is that he used a homophobic slur in the song, but then participated in a Freddy Mercury tribute. He's also performed with Elton John. Slash has performed with BB King, and praised James Brown publicly. 

It mm makes the slurs seem hypocritical.

I think it's a product of the times.  People used that language all the time, even if they had gay friends.  Same with the N word he uses, talking about a "mini-Iran", etc.  I think there was a mental disassociation with the word and the implication for some.  I'm certainly not defending it, just trying to analyze it 40 years later.  I don't think he was playing a part. I'm not sure that Axl wrote songs where he was assuming another character.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yeah, he was a total dickhead, I think it was well known.  No idea if that is still the case or not.  No excusing it - people knew he was a jerk even 40 years ago and it was bs.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Yeah, he was a total dickhead, I think it was well known.  No idea if that is still the case or not.  No excusing it - people knew he was a jerk even 40 years ago and it was bs.
    Definitely the biggest dick in music at the time, at least in public. It was hard not to hate him, even if you liked the music.