Your Record Storage, Whatcha got going?

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    question....

do you think I can get away with bridging a 1x4 kallax on 2 2x4 kallax shelves? My space limitations are hampering me from going larger as well as retaining access to an outlet that is being used. There are of course work arounds for the outlet.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2021
    Years ago, I wanted to get in on the Wax Stacks modular storage crates, but it appears they don’t make those any longer. Oh well. I just have stacks on the floor leaning against the wall at this point.

I bought one of the Line Phono stands when it first came out, but the shelves for records doesn’t accommodate my preferred outer sleeves without bending/warping them. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    No desire for an Ikea Kallax?

mickeyrat said:
    question....

do you think I can get away with bridging a 1x4 kallax on 2 2x4 kallax shelves? My space limitations are hampering me from going larger as well as retaining access to an outlet that is being used. There are of course work arounds for the outlet.

Yeah, that will work. Maybe anchor them together though.

now the only issue is what to do with the Petty complete sets....

boxes are 13 1/2 inches......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I hate that. 

I just leave my too big for the shelves sets on top. 

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I've nearly filled up my 4x4 Ikea Kallax Shelf.  From here on out it gets more challenging as I have limited space in my office/man cave to put more shelving.  I've been trying to find shelves that have some cubes and some bigger areas.   Also trying to find a TV stand for my gaming TV that might include a few cubes to store some extra records.

I'm about to hit maximum capacity :(
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Zod said:
    I've nearly filled up my 4x4 Ikea Kallax Shelf.  From here on out it gets more challenging as I have limited space in my office/man cave to put more shelving.  I've been trying to find shelves that have some cubes and some bigger areas.   Also trying to find a TV stand for my gaming TV that might include a few cubes to store some extra records.

I'm in the same boat, Zod, 4x4 and very nearly full.  I was thinking recently that I should stick to my plan which is once they are full, if I acquire and album, I cull an album.  The other option I thought of was to move the Christmas and classical LPs back into the hall closet where they were when I had smaller shelf space. 
    OH, BUT NO!  Someone else filled that hall closet space.  I recently told her, "Sweetheart, you're like nature- you abhor a vacuum!" :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Zod said:

Can you purge anything? When I start to get full, I end up pulling 15-20 LPs to sell to make more room. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I might just go IKEA and glue down wood strips for backstops. No backing drives me bonkers. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I have two from IKEA, both are 8x8. Plenty of room!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    dankind said:
    I might just go IKEA and glue down wood strips for backstops. No backing drives me bonkers. 
    I know there is a company that makes backings. I get ads for them occasionally on my IG. 

I'm pretty full but I have room for another 4x2, so I'll be getting one of those by the end of the summer.

Zod said:

Can you purge anything? When I start to get full, I end up pulling 15-20 LPs to sell to make more room. 
    There's a few I could purge that I got from a coworker a few years ago.   Not many though.  Most of my collection took 25 years to collect.  Unfortunately that means 98% of my collection was intentionally bought by me.  I'm up around 760 records/45s/box sets.

I have an old love seat in my office that I use a couch for playing videogames on the TV.   It's old.   It's the last piece of hand me down furniture I have.. lol.  I've been thinking of downsizing it to a recliner or a seat.  That would free up some room. I could probably fit in a 1x4 kallax (4 high) if I did that (if I relocated my 2018 Rolling Stones Seattle lithorgraph).   I could move all my boxsets and classical records into it.  That takes up 3 to 4 cubes right now.   That would free up space on the main shelf for more PJ and all other artists.

I also feel like I'm getting close to hitting a point where I've collected a lot of what I want to collect.  I went on a vinyl binging spree since about November.  I think I grew my collection by about 100 to 150 records.   I've now got most/all the albums of my favourite bands, and the albums I would want to own by bands I like.   Right now I'm working on finishing up the ramones and ac/dc but that's a slow burn.  I would like to buy the first 4 black sabbath records.  I've got my missing queens of the stone age records on the way.

Still I feel like it's going to slow down because my collection has gotten fairly comprehensive.  At least in regards to my own taste in music.  It's over twice as big as my CD collection ever got.  In think the infills will be less.. so it might transition to buying new releases as they come out (and RSD stuff etc..)

4 cubes might last me a while :)  It's an expensive upgrade though, recliner and mail ordering a kallax.

I'm also hoping i can find a TV stand that has some cubes in it too, for some extra storage.

I could also do something with the CD's.  I never/rarely use them.   At this point I have a pretty comprehensive FLAC collection which means I don't really need to use them.  I could box them and free up space.  Technically if I didn't have the cd shelf I could probably put in another 4x4 kallax shelf.

Like someone else mentioned I could put the classical albums in a closet..  that would buy me a little time :)  They take up about 3/4 of a cube.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    question....

I would suggest getting a couple wood screws and screwing them  together if you go this route.  
    You must have a pretty significant collection.  I have a 2x4 kallax and can’t imagine filling it.  I’m about 4.25/8ths capacity.  I really don’t know what else I would get to fill it.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    now the only issue is what to do with the Petty complete sets....

boxes are 13 1/2 inches......
    I literally threw those boxes away and store the records loose.  I’m not a fan of extra packaging.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    I know there is a company that makes backings. I get ads for them occasionally on my IG. 

Someone may have already mentioned this, but I cut pool noodles down to the width of the shelf. They are a tight fit that I push into the back of each shelf. And the width is perfect, that all my records pushed all the way in are exactly at the edge.
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

There's a few I could purge that I got from a coworker a few years ago.   Not many though.  Most of my collection took 25 years to collect.  Unfortunately that means 98% of my collection was intentionally bought by me.  I'm up around 760 records/45s/box sets.

I have an old love seat in my office that I use a couch for playing videogames on the TV.   It's old.   It's the last piece of hand me down furniture I have.. lol.  I've been thinking of downsizing it to a recliner or a seat.  That would free up some room. I could probably fit in a 1x4 kallax (4 high) if I did that (if I relocated my 2018 Rolling Stones Seattle lithorgraph).   I could move all my boxsets and classical records into it.  That takes up 3 to 4 cubes right now.   That would free up space on the main shelf for more PJ and all other artists.

I also feel like I'm getting close to hitting a point where I've collected a lot of what I want to collect.  I went on a vinyl binging spree since about November.  I think I grew my collection by about 100 to 150 records.   I've now got most/all the albums of my favourite bands, and the albums I would want to own by bands I like.   Right now I'm working on finishing up the ramones and ac/dc but that's a slow burn.  I would like to buy the first 4 black sabbath records.  I've got my missing queens of the stone age records on the way.

Still I feel like it's going to slow down because my collection has gotten fairly comprehensive.  At least in regards to my own taste in music.  It's over twice as big as my CD collection ever got.  In think the infills will be less.. so it might transition to buying new releases as they come out (and RSD stuff etc..)

4 cubes might last me a while :)  It's an expensive upgrade though, recliner and mail ordering a kallax.

I'm also hoping i can find a TV stand that has some cubes in it too, for some extra storage.

I could also do something with the CD's.  I never/rarely use them.   At this point I have a pretty comprehensive FLAC collection which means I don't really need to use them.  I could box them and free up space.  Technically if I didn't have the cd shelf I could probably put in another 4x4 kallax shelf.

Like someone else mentioned I could put the classical albums in a closet..  that would buy me a little time :)  They take up about 3/4 of a cube.

how much space have you allotted to the TV? wondering if a 2x2 kallax could work for that purpose? 4 cubes there.....

static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    question....

I would suggest getting a couple wood screws and screwing them  together if you go this route.  
    You must have a pretty significant collection.  I have a 2x4 kallax and can’t imagine filling it.  I’m about 4.25/8ths capacity.  I really don’t know what else I would get to fill it.
    about 440 and counting. the 2nd 2x4 might be overkill at this point but theres plenty of room to grow now.

lately been pulling 10 or so at a time from my spot. mostly used....

static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    question....

I have a 2x4 kallax and can’t imagine filling it. 

edited March 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

how much space have you allotted to the TV? wondering if a 2x2 kallax could work for that purpose? 4 cubes there.....

It's a 49inch TV.  I've got it on a cheap wooden shelving unit that i hacked apart with a jigsaw to make it shorter.

The problem with going full cube under the TV (which has occurred to me) is that I think the receiver and the ps5 are both wider than than a cube.  I need a few wider shelves to fit in the electronics.    That's why I was trying to find some kind of hybrid.

That being said I didn't know that Kallax came in 2x2's.   I might be able to squeeze 1 or 2 in my office.  I'm also looking around and I could move my Pearl Jam cd stand over next to the CD shelf.  If I slid my desk over a bit... and I moved or swapped the posters in that spot I might be able to fit a 2x4 Kallax.

I guess that's my other issue. If I try to put in more shelving that's 4 cubes tall it sort of messes with my concert posters.  I'd either have to raise them. move them, or take them down.

I'm thinking a new TV stand that has some cubes combined with the recliner + kallax shelf could buy me some time :)

I also don't have an Ikea here.  To get to one I need to take a ferry over to Vancouver and go to the one there.   Probably not a great thing to do during a pandemic.  I think Ikea ships but it's not cheap.

1st world problems.. lol... how do I jam more records into my small office/mancave without having to take down posters.....
    Post edited by Zod on
    Zod said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

It's a 49inch TV.  I've got it on a cheap wooden shelving unit that i hacked apart with a jigsaw to make it shorter.

The problem with going full cube under the TV (which has occurred to me) is that I think the receiver and the ps5 are both wider than than a cube.  I need a few wider shelves to fit in the electronics.    That's why I was trying to find some kind of hybrid.

That being said I didn't know that Kallax came in 2x2's.   I might be able to squeeze 1 or 2 in my office.  I'm also looking around and I could move my Pearl Jam cd stand over next to the CD shelf.  If I slid my desk over a bit... and I moved or swapped the posters in that spot I might be able to fit a 2x4 Kallax.

I guess that's my other issue. If I try to put in more shelving that's 4 cubes tall it sort of messes with my concert posters.  I'd either have to raise them. move them, or take them down.

I'm thinking a new TV stand that has some cubes combined with the recliner + kallax shelf could buy me some time :)

I also don't have an Ikea here.  To get to one I need to take a ferry over to Vancouver and go to the one there.   Probably not a great thing to do during a pandemic.  I think Ikea ships but it's not cheap.

1st world problems.. lol... how do I jam more records into my small office/mancave without having to take down posters.....

have space to hang a 2x2?

mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

have space to hang a 2x2?
    I've got an older house with plaster walls.  I wasn't the biggest fan of trying to put in picture frame hooks for the posters.  Not sure I want to go through it to get to a stud to mount something heavy.  Plus anything higher still causes the the problem of having to remove posters :(
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited March 2021
    Had a local guy build me this unit. Would have liked to go taller with the record display but space is an issue, and my collection isn't big.

Keep the PJ albums in a separate section. It's a box sitting on the cover that's supposed to go over it.

Post edited by eddiec on
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541

I had these custom built a few years ago to maximize storage while being conscious of not having to take any posters down (I was rearranging when this pic was taken). 
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Had to do pano..... Spare room is small, perfect for music storage...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Nice, solid looking set up. Where do you keep dimebags pick. In case I stop by...
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Loujoe said:
    Nice, solid looking set up. Where do you keep dimebags pick. In case I stop by...
    Ha!!!! swing by anytime brother, you are more than welcome... I'm still adding stuff, I've had a lot of stuff still packed away, etc. Just adding things as I go through it. Def gonna get that pic up there now!
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dankind said:

Turntable Revival.  I just recently purchased them & love 'em!  Really tough to peel the protective film off though as they are laser cut which kinds melts the film to the plastic/plexi/whatever it is.  Contacted Aaron (owner) and he gave the good tip of using an eyeglass repair screwdriver to start peeling the film.
    I went with the skinny ones so it leaves a 1" lip on the front.  Only (obvious) thing is they don't really work with a cube of box sets.
    Woo... Did some rearranging in my office/man cave today.   I managed to free up enough real estate to put in a 4x2 or a 4x3 Kallax shelf.

Now I'm torn which one.   The 4x3 is going just fit and block off part of a shelf I moved into the corner (including make the record player in my office a bit tough to access).  On the flip side that's 4 more cubes.

Still my record collecting (aside from the past 6 months) has been a slow burn.  I think when I bought my 4x4 Kallax it was just shy of half full, so it took me 6 years to fill it out.   It would taken me about 20+ years to buy the first 8 cubes full.

Shit, that means my record buying has gone exponential... lol.