#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Just trying to get the thought here since it's a more liberal bent (to put it mildly) - is anyone concerned with Joe Biden's mental acuity and clear decline?   Or is that just a fictional creation from the right?
    so the man has a stutter issue, which sometimes causes him to lose his train of thought, and this is a "clear decline" to you? what about the "clear decline" of trump that so many in his inner circle were very concerned about?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1242836333871202305
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Just trying to get the thought here since it's a more liberal bent (to put it mildly) - is anyone concerned with Joe Biden's mental acuity and clear decline?   Or is that just a fictional creation from the right?
    Fiction of the right. But anyways at least he has mental acuity that could be in decline unlike the last guy that was clearly working with burnt toast from the get fo.
    Ha!  Seriously, Trump has a brain that doesn't work correctly.  It's completely overtaken by conspiracy nonsense.  But it's really just a byproduct of his narcissism.  He can't possibly imagine that not everyone loves him or thinks like him.  Therefore when confronted with these facts, he reverts to conspiracy and nonsense so that it makes sense to him. 
    didn't trump say he had a good brain? perhaps the best brain?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Fiction of the right. But anyways at least he has mental acuity that could be in decline unlike the last guy that was clearly working with burnt toast from the get fo.
    Ha!  Seriously, Trump has a brain that doesn't work correctly.  It's completely overtaken by conspiracy nonsense.  But it's really just a byproduct of his narcissism.  He can't possibly imagine that not everyone loves him or thinks like him.  Therefore when confronted with these facts, he reverts to conspiracy and nonsense so that it makes sense to him. 
    right before he saluted the flag of the united shtatshes and wondered aloud where Rudy was, when he was sitting right in front of him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,428
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    hey. he remembered his answers from his cognitive skills test.... thats a brain right there....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    man, woman, person, tv, camera. 

i'm a goddamn genius. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Is Biden older and less spry than I would prefer for a president? Yes, he is, but mental decline? No, not concerned. He at least seems to use his brain and has a spectrum of unique tools the last president lacked, known as emotional intelligence.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

i'm a goddamn genius. 
    Honestly, that was the best moment of the whole four years.  He kept repeating it like it was such a victory.  Hilarious. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    tbergs said:
    Is Biden older and less spry than I would prefer for a president? Yes, he is, but mental decline? No, not concerned. He at least seems to use his brain and has a spectrum of unique tools the last president lacked, known as emotional intelligence.
    Even if he was, he doesn't appear to be a tyrant who people are afraid of saying no to, unlike his trash bag predecessor.

If he WAS to succumb to senility while in office, I have faith the guard rails are in place.
    mrussel1 said:

i'm a goddamn genius. 
    Honestly, that was the best moment of the whole four years.  He kept repeating it like it was such a victory.  Hilarious. 
    i would have to agree. never seen someone take a victory lap over something so ridiculous in my life. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Trump's probably not all there and his "there" wasn't that impressive. That said, for now, he's not president so the question of Biden is more in bounds. He just seems so, so old. While I question the energy to do a 24/7 job, I don't think dementia seems to be an issue.  As pointed out above, he's always had a stutter, which is coming off worse as he looks and sounds older. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited March 2021

i'm a goddamn genius. 
    :rofl:
    Not being rude; just having a laugh because I must be a genius too. lol
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:

i'm a goddamn genius. 
    You guys are better than me.  I have to look at my hand...

OnWis97 said:
    Trump's probably not all there and his "there" wasn't that impressive. That said, for now, he's not president so the question of Biden is more in bounds. He just seems so, so old. While I question the energy to do a 24/7 job, I don't think dementia seems to be an issue.  As pointed out above, he's always had a stutter, which is coming off worse as he looks and sounds older. 
    my point is these folks never questioned Trump's mental fortitude, despite reams of evidence there was issues. This is just partisan nonsense jumping on a person's challenge and twisting it to a cognitive decline based on his age, not "concern" for the president. 

leave that to susan collins. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    OnWis97 said:
    my point is these folks never questioned Trump's mental fortitude, despite reams of evidence there was issues. This is just partisan nonsense jumping on a person's challenge and twisting it to a cognitive decline based on his age, not "concern" for the president. 

Correct. None of these concerns about Biden's health are in good faith. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    OnWis97 said:

Correct. None of these concerns about Biden's health are in good faith. 
    I agree. I could never understand  actively rooting against a president. Especially rooting against his health. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    OnWis97 said:

Yeah, that's true for the most part. Obviously detractors questioned Trump's cognition but it's almost sad watching the right go after him for certain things where he has Trump beaten. For example, right wing media is actively accusing the Biden marriage of being staged.  Yeah, they've stayed together for 40 years just so Joe could be president (particularly sneaky scheme given how he declined to run four years ago; I have to give Jill some serious credit for her dedication to this scam). And this after four years of watching a generation-younger trophy wife push Trump's hand away and lust after better-looking, younger people like Trudeau.  Talk about projection...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    It is worrisome that Biden had not done a press conference, hopefully he does one soon.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    Kat said:

i'm a goddamn genius. 
    technically, i think it was "woman, man, person, camera, tv"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is worrisome that Biden had not done a press conference, hopefully he does one soon.  
    he's doing one in a couple days, isn't he?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,428
     On war powers, Biden has pushed for both more congressional oversight and broad presidential authority
    By JM Rieger
    March 09 at 5:10 PM EST
    Days after President Biden authorized his first lethal airstrike in Syria against alleged Iranian-linked fighters last month, he recommitted himself to a promise he made during the 2020 campaign: to replace decades-old congressional use-of-force authorizations.
    The Biden administration did not cite any existing Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) for his Feb. 25 strike, instead citing Article II authorities and Article 51 of the United Nations Charter. But how Biden approaches repealing or replacing his existing AUMF authorities amid a new bipartisan push to overhaul them could significantly shape his foreign policy agenda.
    A Fix review of dozens of Biden speeches and public appearances over the past four decades reveals how Biden has long pushed for more congressional oversight of presidential war powers, even as he supported war authorizations that ultimately expanded the executive branch’s war-making authority. You can watch what Biden has said about war powers in the video above.
    Biden campaigned against the Vietnam War during his first congressional campaign in 1972, and in 2002 he described the “sin of Vietnam” as a “failure of two presidents to level with the American people of what the cost would be, what the continued involvement would require and what was being asked of them.”
    This framing resurfaced over his decades-long Senate tenure:
    In 1989, Biden criticized President George H.W. Bush’s military deployment to Panama and said Bush did not have the authority to remove Gen. Manuel Antonio Noriega.

In 1991, Biden voted against the Persian Gulf War AUMF, arguing that the conflict was not a “vital” U.S. interest.

In 1994, Biden said President Bill Clinton did not have the authority to use force in Haiti without congressional approval.

In 1999, Biden said Clinton needed congressional approval to send ground forces to Kosovo.

In 2003, Biden called for more transparency from the administration of President George W. Bush following the invasion of Iraq for what he described as “a major commitment that’s going to take a long time” in a “much more complicated country than Afghanistan.”
    But even as Biden argued for more congressional oversight, he also repeatedly promoted reforms to the War Powers Resolution of 1973 along with views of presidential authority that would seemingly have permitted “virtually every controversial use of force undertaken by presidents” since World War II, as Lawfare’s Patrick Hulme described it, including actions he had opposed on the Senate floor.
    At times, Biden has also taken a broad view of presidential authority.
    In 1996, Biden told ABC News that the Khobar Towers bombing would constitute an “act of war” by Iran if it were involved and that the United States “could take whatever action it deems appropriate.” In July 2003, Biden defended his Iraq War vote in part, by saying that it strengthened Bush’s diplomatic hand. And in 2011, the Obama administration defended its military campaign in Libya by saying that the War Powers Resolution did not apply (Biden later said he opposed the Libya campaign).
    Perhaps the best indication of Biden’s evolving view on presidential war powers and how he might wield them in office comes from two questionnaires he completed for journalist Charlie Savage during his presidential campaigns in 2007 and 2019.
    Asked about the possibility of preemptively bombing Iran in 2007, Biden said, “The Constitution is clear: Except in response to an attack or the imminent threat of attack, only Congress may authorize war and the use of force.”
    But 12 years later, Biden indicated support for broader presidential authority, as outlined in the 2011 Justice Department memo defending the Libyan military campaign that Biden had said he opposed during a 2016 interview.
    “The Constitution vests Congress with the power to declare war and authorize the use of force,” Biden said in 2019. “As is well established and as the Department of Justice has articulated across several administrations, the Constitution vests the president … with the power to direct limited U.S. military operations abroad without prior congressional approval when those operations serve important U.S. interests and are of a limited nature, scope, and duration.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    So over 60% support the covid relief bill. Seems like a big deal in such a divided country. I can't remember the last time over 60% of us agreed on something. Definitely didn't happen over the last four years. Good start for Joseph. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    So over 60% support the covid relief bill. Seems like a big deal in such a divided country. I can't remember the last time over 60% of us agreed on something. Definitely didn't happen over the last four years. Good start for Joseph. 
    That's only because the people don't know that 98% of the funding is going to force abortions and sex changes in Christian countries around the world.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mrussel1 said:
    That's only because the people don't know that 98% of the funding is going to force abortions and sex changes in Christian countries around the world.  
    Lol....they gotta find a way to pass that voting rights bills next. Republicans are already working overtime to make it harder for people to vote. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    35% of that 40% are the repubs who won’t get vaccinated. You know, the ones with POOTWH signs still up. Maybe they’ll be sending their stimulus to POOTWH’s pac, I mean legal defense fund, rather than into the economy?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    35% of that 40% are the repubs who won’t get vaccinated. You know, the ones with POOTWH signs still up. Maybe they’ll be sending their stimulus to POOTWH’s pac, I mean legal defense fund, rather than into the economy?
    All they want is small government and lower taxes...they are good people actually
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Why didn’t joe do the state of the union?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Because it’s typically a year after the POTUS’ inaugural that they have their first? I think it’s been 48 days, patience. He’s giving a national address tomorrow. You tuning in?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited March 2021
    Because it’s typically a year after the POTUS’ inaugural that they have their first? I think it’s been 48 days, patience. He’s giving a national address tomorrow. You tuning in?
    They usually address Congress in Jan/feb, inaugural or not.  There’s no requirement, I just ask because he sure seems to be avoiding having to make a speech, even left msm reporters have been asking Jen about it.  I’ll tune into it for a bit tomorrow, for sure.  Hopefully he doesn’t forget the word pentagon or who someone’s name is even though it’s on the teleprompter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1369044328807596036

Put me in the “not concerned” group, but it’s entertaining to say the least how he’s being shielded from having to be in front of a mic 
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    They usually address Congress in Jan/feb, inaugural or not.  There’s no requirement, I just ask because he sure seems to be avoiding having to make a speech, even left msm reporters have been asking Jen about it.  I’ll tune into it for a bit tomorrow, for sure.  Hopefully he doesn’t forget the word pentagon or who someone’s name is even though it’s on the teleprompter.

Put me in the “not concerned” group, but it’s entertaining to say the least how he’s being shielded from having to be in front of a mic 
    Wasn't it you that said only 9% of the covid bill will help American people? You're not still carrying around that number in your head,  are you?
    mrussel1 said:

Wasn't it you that said only 9% of the covid bill will help American people? You're not still carrying around that number in your head,  are you?
    Yeah it was me, is it wrong?  When I see that some of the things in it won’t be used until 2031 I have to question it.  Don’t get me wrong, unlike people on this board I don’t lose my mind over things our govt does whether I agree or disagree, but it seems like there’s a lot of things in this stimulus bill that aren’t directly taking care of people who need help.