Options

The Bird Thread

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    60ft or so away......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,223
    Is that Vlad Guerrero Jr.?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,266

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Loujoe said:
    Really into birds.
    Owls I've seen:
    Hawk Owl, Alaska
    Great Horned, NJ, CO
    Screech, CO, NJ
    Snowy Owl, NJ
    Short Eared Owl, NJ
    Long Eared Owl, NJ
    Barred Owl, NJ (spotted by river while fishing it landed in a tree above me)

It's great and more likely to just to hear owls and you can identify from the types of calls.
    To see an owl you could get lucky, know what to look for (pellets, white wash), go with birding groups to known location. I find patience and being observant helped me.
    Bird watching brings me peace, fun once you start identifying them and checking them off your list.
    Cool you got to see a Snowy Owl!  I have been missing that one here.

I have seen a Barn Owl fly over my head when I was going in a mine shaft.  A few Ground owls(borrowing) in AZ, those are cool as hell.  They pair up w prairie dogs.  

Also got to see a Gray owl in Cali.  Those 3 I remember.

• Options
    So for cool birds I have seen, noticed since I took up birding is this one.  It's called a Hooded Merganser.
    Hooded Merganser Identification All About Birds Cornell Lab of Ornithology
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Loujoe said:
    Really into birds.
    Owls I've seen:
    Hawk Owl, Alaska
    Great Horned, NJ, CO
    Screech, CO, NJ
    Snowy Owl, NJ
    Short Eared Owl, NJ
    Long Eared Owl, NJ

It's great and more likely to just to hear owls and you can identify from the types of calls.
    To see an owl you could get lucky, know what to look for (pellets, white wash), go with birding groups to known location. I find patience and being observant helped me.
    Bird watching brings me peace, fun once you start identifying them and checking them off your list.

I have seen a Barn Owl fly over my head when I was going in a mine shaft.  A few Ground owls(borrowing) in AZ, those are cool as hell.  They pair up w prairie dogs.  

We have a seasonal family of screech owls in the area. They are fun to watch/listen to when they hatch and fledge in the spring. They do tend to leave disgusting messes below their trees, so they're easy to find that way when inactive.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Loujoe said:
    Really into birds.
    Owls I've seen:
    Hawk Owl, Alaska
    Great Horned, NJ, CO
    Screech, CO, NJ
    Snowy Owl, NJ
    Short Eared Owl, NJ
    Long Eared Owl, NJ

We have a seasonal family of screech owls in the area. They are fun to watch/listen to when they hatch and fledge in the spring. They do tend to leave disgusting messes below their trees, so they're easy to find that way when inactive.
    I know the screech you speak of!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    Rocky decided he wanted to say hello...well, more like scream hello, in his case.

• Options
    Rocky decided he wanted to say hello...well, more like scream hello, in his case.

You people that let these vicious raptors live in your homes are nuts!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

You people that let these vicious raptors live in your homes are nuts!
    You don't know the half of it!
  • Options

@elwayvedder has a boo bird that whistles the Darth Vader song.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048

holy cow there's a bird thread?  Yes @Te@tempo_n_groove
     Boo sings the Imperial March but also whistles the hook to Pearl Jam's "BLACK"...DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO!!
  • Options

Boo sings the Imperial March but also whistles the hook to Pearl Jam's "BLACK"...DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO!!

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867

Video?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Video?
    It will take me a while to find it because I have hundreds of videos of him singing but he knows when the camera is on so he stops lol 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    GlowGirl said:

Video?
    It will take me a while to find it because I have hundreds of videos of him singing but he knows when the camera is on so he stops lol 
    Mine does that too when the camera is on lol. Although, he doesn't whistle any fun songs. He does what I call the sexy whistle. Imagine the cliche of construction workers whistling at women. So, any ladies out there that need to feel pretty, Rocky will let you know lol.

Beautiful bird you have, @elwayvedder. How did you get Boo to be ok with the sink? I've tried that with Rocky, but anytime we get close to a sink, he freaks out. Faucet on or off, it doesn't matter. It's weird though because he absolutely loves it when we get the little spray bottle and spray him down with water.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    So for cool birds I have seen, noticed since I took up birding is this one.  It's called a Hooded Merganser.
    Hooded Merganser Identification All About Birds Cornell Lab of Ornithology
    Very cool.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Really into birds.
    Owls I've seen:
    Hawk Owl, Alaska
    Great Horned, NJ, CO
    Screech, CO, NJ
    Snowy Owl, NJ
    Short Eared Owl, NJ
    Long Eared Owl, NJ

I'd like to check them off my list before I check out. Great sightings. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,940
    I love birds too.  Prey mainly. I was riding  my bike on a farm track yesterday and a buzzard was perched on a fence i stopped and it took off about 2 feet off the ground  past me.  Just its wing span blew me away. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    GlowGirl said:

Video?
    Mine does that too when the camera is on lol. Although, he doesn't whistle any fun songs. He does what I call the sexy whistle. Imagine the cliche of construction workers whistling at women. So, any ladies out there that need to feel pretty, Rocky will let you know lol.

The "wolf whistle".
    Our parakeet does that. Also will ask the dog "Where's your beak?" amongst many phrases.
    Wife is trying to get him to sing something, hasn't taken yet
    Had some success with 2 previous keets, the one in my avatar photo could sing the first line of the Oscar Mayer weiner song. And the one we had before our current one I taught to sing the last chorus of the Spongebob theme song including the whistle at the end since the TV in the room would often have Spongebob on, wanted to fool the wife into thinking he picked it up from the TV.
    Post edited by Poncier on
  • Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    GlowGirl said:

Video?

The "wolf whistle".
    Our parakeet does that. Also will ask the dog "Where's your beak?" amongst many phrases.
    Wife is trying to get him to sing something, hasn't taken yet
    Had some success with 2 previous keets, the one in my avatar photo could sing the first line of the Oscar Mayer weiner song. And the one we had before our current one I taught to sing the last chorus of the Spongebob theme song including the whistle at the end since the TV in the room would often have Spongebob on, wanted to fool the wife into thinking he picked it up from the TV.
    Wolf whistle...I like that term better. The tiel we had before Rocky would whistle along to the Jeopardy theme song and try the MASH theme song (he couldn't quite get that one though).
  • Options
    I love birds too.  Prey mainly. I was riding  my bike on a farm track yesterday and a buzzard was perched on a fence i stopped and it took off about 2 feet off the ground  past me.  Just its wing span blew me away. 
    Nice @lastexitlondon . Close to 6' I think. They don't look that big way up high.
    My bud spooked a vulture hanging out in a tree and it regurgitated on him. I read that they eat so much carrion  when they can, so they can't fly. They just hang out to digest it all, unless you walk under the tree they have to regurgitate to be able to fly away. Must have been disgusting!!

Odd bird fact..."Believe it...or Not"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    We used to have a good deal of hawks and peregrines when I lived in the Fenway. I remember taking a jog around the fens while blasting some music, and I felt this rush of wind and the ground beneath my feet actually trembled. Startled out my headspace removed my headphones and saw one of those birds (too fast to determine which) pummel a squirrel on the ground a bit and take off. Pretty awesome stuff. Unless you're the squirrel, of course.

Another Boston bird story. Goddamn aggressive seagull around City Hall stole my Dunks glazed right out of my hand. Wings slapping me in the head the whole time. It was very Hitchcock.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Another Boston bird story. Goddamn aggressive seagull around City Hall stole my Dunks glazed right out of my hand. Wings slapping me in the head the whole time. It was very Hitchcock.
    It was probably a slow day at Revere Beach so one of the Kelly's gulls flew to the city to see what he could get.
    Those sonsofbitches that hang by Kelly's have no fear taking food right out of your mouth if it suits them.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    We used to have a good deal of hawks and peregrines when I lived in the Fenway. I remember taking a jog around the fens while blasting some music, and I felt this rush of wind and the ground beneath my feet actually trembled. Startled out my headspace removed my headphones and saw one of those birds (too fast to determine which) pummel a squirrel on the ground a bit and take off. Pretty awesome stuff. Unless you're the squirrel, of course.

That bird knew an asshole when he saw it.  Good on it.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Yes. Squirrels are supreme assholes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Yes. Squirrels are supreme assholes. 
    I was talking about the seagull!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    edited March 2021
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley