Options

The Bird Thread

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I saw a pretty cool barred owl last week around six in the morning.  I was walking down a hillside with one bright security light shinning and I heard it make its who-cooks-for-u call and spotted it in a dead poplar tree surveying the valley.  I made a call back to it but before I could get my camera out it got spooked and flew off.  Still pretty cool.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Took a good three hours to figure out that the flightless bird in my yard today was a bobwhite. I'm glad I didn't call the wildlife rehabilitation people about the orphaned turkey chick I thought it was for a while.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:
    I saw a pretty cool barred owl last week around six in the morning.  I was walking down a hillside with one bright security light shinning and I heard it make its who-cooks-for-u call and spotted it in a dead poplar tree surveying the valley.  I made a call back to it but before I could get my camera out it got spooked and flew off.  Still pretty cool.  
    I am an avid outdoorsman and have somehow never spotted an owl!
    I've even seen a mink!  No owls yet, though.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I'm guessing we're not supposed to post pictures of the elusive Double Breasted Skinnydipper here. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I saw this thing in Florida and swore it was a real life turducken. Turns out it’s called a Muscovy duck. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Jason P said:
    I am an avid outdoorsman and have somehow never spotted an owl!
    I've even seen a mink!  No owls yet, though.
    I had one that lived in my neighborhood for a few years.  It used to sit in a pine tree in my neighbors yards looking for foolish chipmunks.

I had a great horned owl fly over me while in the backcountry in the Sierra Nevadas.  Just got done taking a toke, laid back on a granite cliff-side and it soared about ten feet overhead and then into a valley stretching 3000 feel below.  It was a most excellent night.  
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    Birds are awesome.  Here's one of may favorite bird pictures:

Pretty.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    One of my favorite birds is the wild turkey.  No, not the whiskey, the actual, real (should be) National Bird of the United States, the wild turkey.  They are so damn dumb but my god, they are just too cool.  We had one tom that used to come around and eventually I was able to get it to eat grain out of the palm of my hand. 

I find it bizarre that people still hunt these rather gamey tasting (so I'm told anyway) birds, and even more absurd that there are actually whole books written on how to hunt wild turkeys.   They walk around most rural and semi-rural neighborhoods.  What is there to "hunting" them? (I don't really want to know- just a rhetorical question.)

I wish I had photos but our local turkey seem to be nowhere to be found lately.  Yeah, I know, Thanksgiving is right around the corner.  I just hope they're not so dumb after all and have taken to the high country to wait out the season. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    One of my favorite birds is the wild turkey.  No, not the whiskey, the actual, real (should be) National Bird of the United States, the wild turkey.  They are so damn dumb but my god, they are just too cool.  We had one tom that used to come around and eventually I was able to get it to eat grain out of the palm of my hand. 

I find it bizarre that people still hunt these rather gamey tasting (so I'm told anyway) birds, and even more absurd that there are actually whole books written on how to hunt wild turkeys.   They walk around most rural and semi-rural neighborhoods.  What is there to "hunting" them? (I don't really want to know- just a rhetorical question.)

I wish I had photos but our local turkey seem to be nowhere to be found lately.  Yeah, I know, Thanksgiving is right around the corner.  I just hope they're not so dumb after all and have taken to the high country to wait out the season. 

Turkey hunting is on the difficult end of the scale.  They have to be called in and their eyesight is excellent, so movement has to be super slow and deliberate.  I know you said the question was rhetorical, but knowledge is always good!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Turkey hunting is on the difficult end of the scale.  They have to be called in and their eyesight is excellent, so movement has to be super slow and deliberate.  I know you said the question was rhetorical, but knowledge is always good!
    These damn things are tough to hunt.  They fly too.  Add that to their 360 degree sight and you have a challenge on your hands!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

These damn things are tough to hunt.  They fly too.  Add that to their 360 degree sight and you have a challenge on your hands!
    I have one word for you two:  TURKEYS!

:lol: 

• Options
    I can't count how many times a horde of wild turkeys or deer just meander in front of me throughout my life and then my hunter friends try to describe how difficult it is to hunt a wild turkey.  I'd literally have over 100 kills if I just carried a shotgun with me when putzing around the woods. ;)
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

This is an owl I saw this summer, (unfortunately not out in the wild.) It’s a young eagle owl. It’s a mouse tale sticking out from the beak.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I can't count how many times a horde of wild turkeys or deer just meander in front of me throughout my life and then my hunter friends try to describe how difficult it is to hunt a wild turkey.  I'd literally have over 100 kills if I just carried a shotgun with me when putzing around the woods. ;)
    Out of season
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited November 2019
    Aw, a bird thread.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    edited November 2019
    mickeyrat said:

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Jason P said:
    Out of season
    Around here they just migrate.  If I wanted to (and were into that sort of thing), at some times during the year I could pick off a bunch of them from my porch.  And when they're not around here, that means somebody else could be picking them off from their porch.    Besides, I would no sooner shoot a turkey than I would a bald eagle.  They're both marvelous creatures in their own right. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    I once saw a flock of Blue Herons in Indiana. Easy 1000 birds.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    a bird shit on my friends head once on the way to grade school.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Aw, a bird thread.
    WOW!  Look who's back!!!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    u saw 100 blue Herons!?!  cool!!!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    missed a zero.

flock in a farmers field along side I-65. est about 200. then on the opposite side est 800 or so near Seymour In just below US 50. Earlier that week I saw about 50 near Brownstown Indiana on US 50.

Farmers had cut the silage corn and the stalks were stubby.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    missed a zero.

flock in a farmers field along side I-65. est about 200. then on the opposite side est 800 or so near Seymour In just below US 50. Earlier that week I saw about 50 near Brownstown Indiana on US 50.

I've only seen them in singles, never in a flock.

That would be cool.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    missed a zero.

I've only seen them in singles, never in a flock.

That would be cool.
    oh it was. I have a particular affinity for that bird. like its my spirit totem.

sad part was it was all too brief for me. doing 60 mph on the freeway.

outside of that I have seen a mix of heron and crane in a river that runs through my city. and up in michigan not too far from the ohio border on 75. wetlands and this overflow pond from Erie.

• Options
    new phone ,GREAT camera....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

woah, those are great pics. What kind of phone?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

S21 Ultra

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    Really into birds.
    Owls I've seen:
    Hawk Owl, Alaska
    Great Horned, NJ, CO
    Screech, CO, NJ
    Snowy Owl, NJ
    Short Eared Owl, NJ
    Long Eared Owl, NJ
    Barred Owl, NJ (spotted by river while fishing it landed in a tree above me)

It's great and more likely to just to hear owls and you can identify from the types of calls.
    To see an owl you could get lucky, know what to look for (pellets, white wash), go with birding groups to known location. I find patience and being observant helped me.
    Bird watching brings me peace, fun once you start identifying them and checking them off your list.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

S21 Ultra
    oh cool. Yeah i saw a commercial for one the other day and they mentioned that the camera was pretty damn good

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD