I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    pjpjpaul said:
    MedozK said:

Nice, I want that Speak No Evil, but have read some not so good reviews. Which surprise me.
    I’ve zero issues with my copy of Speak No Evil.   

I think part of the problem with reviews (Hoffman forums and Discogs) for vinyl pressings in general is there are some people that:

a. have excessively unreasonable expectations and anything less than absolute perfection is trash

b. Enjoy complaining for the sake of complaining.

Could there be pressing issues? Yup. We’re buying a $20-25 dollar album, being mastered from tapes that are 50-70 years old, that are being mass produced during a worldwide pandemic. There has to be some level of tolerance for slight defects here and there. Now, that’s not an excuse for total disregard for lack of QC, which I don’t think is the issue with these BN Classics. 

Now, if you’re buying high end pressings from AS, MM, and other releases that are $100-200 a pop, different story.

I’ve also read that some of the issues people are griping about are directly related with issues with the recording and masters.Hot horns, tape distortion and damage which are present on the originals.

I have 5 of the 6 of these releases so far, and my very happy with the product and have had no issues.
    I agree 100 percent. Unrealistic expectations from a lot of people online. I am grateful to be able to purchase new copies of these classics without having to break the bank and appreciate the efforts of those remastering these works. My copy also has no issues. 
    I totally agree with you guys!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • dufferduffer Posts: 135

Sat drinking wine
  • dufferduffer Posts: 135

Which version of BigMuff is that ? Ive got 6 versions ,who needs 6 versions of the same album ? No wonder Im poor :-( 
    Sat drinking wine
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    Just picked up the 2LP Marvel cover variant of one of my favorite albums (hip-hop) of all time, GZA's Liquid Swords.
    https://shop.urbanlegends.com/products/liquid-swords-standard-marvel-edition-2lp

2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    duffer said:

Which version of BigMuff is that ? Ive got 6 versions ,who needs 6 versions of the same album ? No wonder Im poor :-( 
    The runout says 18389.2(3) SP21, which according to Discogs is 2009 reissue. Sounds great. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701

I looked up the Zeppelin on Discogs. It appears to be a 1974 reissue. It has the cover with the working spin wheel. The vinyl appears to be in good shape. I will listen to it tomorrow. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    I've been on the hunt for that zep 3. Had one but it was a mess. Always trying to find it cheap somewhere but haven't been hitting the local dumping grounds due to covid floating around. 
    I miss the hunt. A lot of my varied collection is from 49 cent finds. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    MedozK said:

Nice, I want that Speak No Evil, but have read some not so good reviews. Which surprise me.

I think part of the problem with reviews (Hoffman forums and Discogs) for vinyl pressings in general is there are some people that:

a. have excessively unreasonable expectations and anything less than absolute perfection is trash

Could there be pressing issues? Yup. We’re buying a $20-25 dollar album, being mastered from tapes that are 50-70 years old, that are being mass produced during a worldwide pandemic. There has to be some level of tolerance for slight defects here and there. Now, that’s not an excuse for total disregard for lack of QC, which I don’t think is the issue with these BN Classics. 

Now, if you’re buying high end pressings from AS, MM, and other releases that are $100-200 a pop, different story.

I’ve also read that some of the issues people are griping about are directly related with issues with the recording and masters.Hot horns, tape distortion and damage which are present on the originals.

I have 5 of the 6 of these releases so far, and my very happy with the product and have had no issues.

I'm somewhere in between.  I agree that expecting perfection for re-issues is unrealistic and the price of originals is outrageous and only for people with deep discretionary income pockets.  But what does disturb me a bit is that it can be very, very hard to find information on sourcing for re-issues.  There are several jazz re-issues that are needle drop source and you have to be a detective to find that information.  Why is this information kept on the q.t.?  Why not just be transparent and let the buyer decide?

As for the Hoffman site, sure, some of those guys that post there are full of themselves (it's the internet- what's new? haha) but I've gotten information there that has been pure gold.  No complaints here- you just need to sift a bit.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:

I'm somewhere in between.  I agree that expecting perfection for re-issues is unrealistic and the price of originals is outrageous and only for people with deep discretionary income pockets.  But what does disturb me a bit is that it can be very, very hard to find information on sourcing for re-issues.  There are several jazz re-issues that are needle drop source and you have to be a detective to find that information.  Why is this information kept on the q.t.?  Why not just be transparent and let the buyer decide?

As for the Hoffman site, sure, some of those guys that post there are full of themselves (it's the internet- what's new? haha) but I've gotten information there that has been pure gold.  No complaints here- you just need to sift a bit.
    Agree on your comment about Hoffman, very useful.  But for jazz, I'm very pleased with the quality and the information available from the tone poet, music matters,  AP, etc. Which reissues are you speaking of? From the last few years or all the ones that came out like 2010, 2012, etc.? Newbury colored reissues are also very good and well sourced.
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    edited February 2021
    toolie said:
    Perfect arrival for Friday morning!! 😀😀😀
    Wish I could say the same. My bone colored vinyl arrived completely damaged. So much that one of the records was cracked. Although they gave me a refund, I would have rather had a replacement but they stated there was no extra stock. Very disappointed as this appears to be the first in a series and I was planning on collecting them all. 
    Post edited by BrainOfJHA on
  • Heads up for MC5 fans in Canada. The MC5 3LP “Total Assault” is half price on Amazon.  I don’t normally buy off Amazon unless there are
    deals like this one. You get all 3 lps for $40. Tough to beat. 

Another great Time Poet!

Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    GlowGirl said:

I looked up the Zeppelin on Discogs. It appears to be a 1974 reissue. It has the cover with the working spin wheel. The vinyl appears to be in good shape. I will listen to it tomorrow. 
    Love Zep-III..........Picked it up in the late 70's.  I WISH I could say I was 3 years old when I got it>LOL
    Another great Time Poet!

I was looking at that the other day. I dig Stanley. So this is an easy "recommend"?
  • duffer said:

All Them Witches finally put out some wax?!?
    mrussel1 said:
    Another great Time Poet!

I was looking at that the other day. I dig Stanley. So this is an easy "recommend"?

Hell yes!!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    toolie said:
    Wish I could say the same. My bone colored vinyl arrived completely damaged. So much that one of the records was cracked. Although they gave me a refund, I would have rather had a replacement but they stated there was no extra stock. Very disappointed as this appears to be the first in a series and I was planning on collecting them all. 
    Oh that sucks!!! Crushing. Mine came in good shape, it played awesome. Weird they didn’t keep a few extra for shipping damage. I’ll keep my eyes open in case I ever see another one. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    Heads up for MC5 fans in Canada. The MC5 3LP “Total Assault” is half price on Amazon.  I don’t normally buy off Amazon unless there are

Ordered!! Thanks for the tip. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    MedozK said:

Agree on your comment about Hoffman, very useful.  But for jazz, I'm very pleased with the quality and the information available from the tone poet, music matters,  AP, etc. Which reissues are you speaking of? From the last few years or all the ones that came out like 2010, 2012, etc.? Newbury colored reissues are also very good and well sourced.

Well, one recent example is an Original Jazz Classics/ Contemporary Records OJC-163 repressing of Ornette Coleman's Something Else!!!!.  Someone on Hoffman said it was probably needle drop sourced.  If so, it was a pretty darned clean needle drop and I'm happy to have this reissue.  I'm a big enough Ornette fan that I'd take anything that's at least better than what gets played on Fred Flinstone's prehistoric set up over nothing, but I wish they would at least give out this information because if there's a better source and it's affordable for me, I'd like to know.  Not a huge deal I guess- at least not for someone in my tax bracket.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    toolie said:
    toolie said:
    Oh that sucks!!! Crushing. Mine came in good shape, it played awesome. Weird they didn’t keep a few extra for shipping damage. I’ll keep my eyes open in case I ever see another one. 
    Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out as well.  I did go ahead and buy a black vinyl version just to have it.  Bull Moose had some available.  
  • halv said:
    Heads up for MC5 fans in Canada. The MC5 3LP “Total Assault” is half price on Amazon.  I don’t normally buy off Amazon unless there are

Ordered!! Thanks for the tip. 
    Awesome 👍
    Any feedback on record store exclusive pressings?  Specifically zia records. I'm thinking about ordering something but not sure of quality or if it's more of a novelty. I know bull moose and Newbury does it too. Limited colored pressings.
    Loujoe said:
    Any feedback on record store exclusive pressings?  Specifically zia records. I'm thinking about ordering something but not sure of quality or if it's more of a novelty. I know bull moose and Newbury does it too. Limited colored pressings.
    Newbury is great.  First taste pressings.  Bull moose I've had service issues with.  Never heard of zia.
    Thanks^. I think I'm gonna stick with the black copy and not get caught up with the LE pretty color exclusive. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    The Newbury pressings I've bought have all been good, same for TTL exclusives.

Edit: Actually, a few of the Newbury exclusive are top-notch pressings (thinking Miles and Jimi).
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    The Newbury pressings I've bought have all been good, same for TTL exclusives.

Edit: Actually, a few of the Newbury exclusive are top-notch pressings (thinking Miles and Jimi).
    Yeah I have the Kind of Blue marble edition, cut by Kevin Gray.  It's just as good as the MOFI, in my opinion, or very, very close.  Their American Beauty is excellent as well.  Their stuff is highly recommended. 
    Just preordered bad brains zia exclusive. One of my favorite bands and they are putting out reissues. Most of their stuff I have on cd or had on cassette. I just wanted to make sure they were official. not into supporting bootlegs.
  • The long overdue Bad Brains RE got me thinking and I contacted Music on Vinyl. 
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Does anyone have the Kind of Blue mono vinyl?