Weird questions in the middle of the night: Part II

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
First question:  What happened to the first "Weird questions in the middle of the night" thread?  It seems to have vanished.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Second question:  I have often been curious about barbed wire.  I think this stemmed from an uncle of mine having a collection of barbed wire.  He had gather 6 to 8 inch long strands of various barbed wire and mounted them on a board with little cards under each one describing what ever he could find out about each type of barbed wire.

So anyway, I notice barbed wire when hiking or walking or visiting places.  My question is, if you could take all of the barbed wire in the world and make one long, single strand out of it, how long would it be?  Would stretch around the equator once or multiple times?  Could it possibly reach the moon?

You know... I really need to know these this.  This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up late at night.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Growing up, we had barbed wire around the perimeter of our farm. The local peregrines used it to impale their prey. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Growing up, we had barbed wire around the perimeter of our farm. The local peregrines used it to impale their prey. 

Rodent-kabob.  Nasty! 

brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Rodent-kabob.  Nasty! 
    Guess whose job it was to scrape what was left of the carcasses off the barbs every two weeks or so?

Looked like some weird Satanic ritual was going on or something. 

I don’t know if other peregrines do that or if it was just something that the ones around us figured out, but it was nasty, indeed. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Rodent-kabob.  Nasty! 
    Guess whose job it was to scrape what was left of the carcasses off the barbs every two weeks or so?

Looked like some weird Satanic ritual was going on or something. 

I don’t know if other peregrines do that or if it was just something that the ones around us figured out, but it was nasty, indeed. 

Yuck! Never seen that before!

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    How do musicians score their drugs worldwide during touring? Is there a designated smuggler? Is this the valet's job? An established friends of friends network?
    tish said:
    How do musicians score their drugs worldwide during touring? Is there a designated smuggler? Is this the valet's job? An established friends of friends network?
    The more successful musicians probably have people for that, but for those still eking it out, I would imagine they go about it the same way we all do: Ask the first waiter, waitress you meet if they can hook you up. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I don't know where you people get the idea that musicians do drugs.  I've never heard anything more ridiculous in my life.

brianlux said:
    I don't know where you people get the idea that musicians do drugs.  I've never heard anything more ridiculous in my life.
    I heard all about it from Bill Hicks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    I heard all about it from Bill Hicks.
    A fallen hero...  RIP.

We want our thumbs!!!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    dankind said:
    tish said:
    The more successful musicians probably have people for that, but for those still eking it out, I would imagine they go about it the same way we all do: Ask the first waiter, waitress you meet if they can hook you up. 
    I have a friend who could find anything anywhere, no matter what city we were in. It would usually be from some random stranger he met at a bar. He was like a bloodhound.

GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    tish said:
    I have a friend who could find anything anywhere, no matter what city we were in. It would usually be from some random stranger he met at a bar. He was like a bloodhound.

Do we know each other?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Oh my God, you people are frightening.  (Ahh, say, anybody gotta a dime?)

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    tish said:

Do we know each other?
    Yeah, I know some stories.....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    tish said:

Do we know each other?
    It certainly seems that way  :)
    Good, we got that one answered... sort of... well, you know...

Say, here another vexing question:  How do we know some animals can't see colors?  I've asked my cat and she refuses to answer.  (Is it just Annie being Annie or am I not asking right?)  But no, seriously, how can we know that?

brianlux said:

Say, here another vexing question:  How do we know some animals can't see colors?  I've asked my cat and she refuses to answer.  (Is it just Annie being Annie or am I not asking right?)  But no, seriously, how can we know that?
    Fewer cones.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Fewer cones.

Really?
    Does Coneheads Actually Suck

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    ...Than rods. Cones are colour receptors.
  • Love that film @brianlux I see @tish
    A friend of mine played bass in an ’80s Boston band named Rods & Cones.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Love that film @brianlux I see @tish
    West Coast Dreamgirl I'll have to see that one again.  It's been ages!
    dankind said:
    Cool band name!

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Cool band name!

This one was on MTV’s rotation for a while. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Cool band name!

This one was on MTV’s rotation for a while. 

Alright, pretty cool! 

OK, so here's a more serious question: 
    Where have all the turkeys gone? (Long time passing?).
    We have seen them regularly on our walks, by the side of the road, and often in our own yard, Toms spreading tail feather or hens tending their chicks.  And all of the sudden... gone!  Where, oh where?

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    Birds usually will follow a food source. So likely chasing after some seeds somewhere else. 
    Same here, Brian. No clue where they disappeared to, but I have faith that they'll turn up again when it warms up a bit. Probably huddled up in their roosts most of the day, I'd guess, only moving to find sustenance. Wait, no, that's me in the winter.

At any rate, I saw them year-round when I lived in warmer climates. I remember wild toms were trouble for our farm hens in Florida.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    dankind said:
    I remember them. Used to get decent airplay on FNX and BCN.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    Same here, Brian. No clue where they disappeared to, but I have faith that they'll turn up again when it warms up a bit. Probably huddled up in their roosts most of the day, I'd guess, only moving to find sustenance. Wait, no, that's me in the winter.

At any rate, I saw them year-round when I lived in warmer climates. I remember wild toms were trouble for our farm hens in Florida.
    Paging @SD....
  • Plenty of turkeys out here in NY.  Staten Island is full of them!