Capitol Riots 2

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    It will be interesting to see what tRump's defense is.  I've heard that they are going to bring up violence at BLM protests as if that matters.
    tbergs said:
    It will be interesting to see what tRump's defense is.  I've heard that they are going to bring up violence at BLM protests as if that matters.
    I heard they're also going to hammer on 1st amendment rights and that the term "fight" wasn't inciting.
    With all these new articles coming out it appears a bunch of these groups had planned on doing this all along.  I am not buying too much of Trump incited this anymore.  These loons were storming no matter what.
    They planned on it cause they were listening to him all along.  Then he made sure they were in town on that specific day.  Then he told them to march down PA ave.  Then he told them to be strong, nothing comes from weakness.  Then when told that Pence was in danger and being moved, he tweeted about how Pence let him down.  

The mental gymnastics being done by Rep Senators to not vote to convict are going to cause a lot of hammy pulls.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    I heard they're also going to hammer on 1st amendment rights and that the term "fight" wasn't inciting.
    With all these new articles coming out it appears a bunch of these groups had planned on doing this all along.  I am not buying too much of Trump incited this anymore.  These loons were storming no matter what.
    Not buying it?  He said it.  He tweeted it.  
    I'm sorry, his speech that day.
    But the speech that day isn't the focus or the impetus for the insurrection. His speech that day was just the tipping point in a long and deliberate campaign by Trump and his allies to instill the mentality that the election was a fraud and stolen. He'd stoked it for months leading up to that. You should read the recaps of Raskin and the other managers case the last few days if you weren't able to follow it live. If anyone can actually look at that mountain of evidence and acquit, they're not being impartial.
    I have been keeping up with it as much as I can.  The BBC has a good article on the timeline of things.

What I am finding disturbing is that all these people took it upon themselves to start organizing and going after poll workers and the stroming of the capitol.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    But the speech that day isn't the focus or the impetus for the insurrection. His speech that day was just the tipping point in a long and deliberate campaign by Trump and his allies to instill the mentality that the election was a fraud and stolen. He'd stoked it for months leading up to that. You should read the recaps of Raskin and the other managers case the last few days if you weren't able to follow it live. If anyone can actually look at that mountain of evidence and acquit, they're not being impartial.
    I have been keeping up with it as much as I can.  The BBC has a good article on the timeline of things.

What I am finding disturbing is that all these people took it upon themselves to start organizing and going after poll workers and the stroming of the capitol.
    They were consistently emboldened by Trump over the last 4.5 years. Any other president, and this doesn't happen, but he fed those fucks the shit they needed to feel like they were the allies and the rest of us are Nazis. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

"Took it upon themselves"

They were following the not so subtle direction of their dear leader every step of the way. 

People have been predicting since day one that Trump's rhetoric would lead to violence & they were right. This was seen coming from miles away. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited February 2021
    tbergs said:
    Without the rally, none of this would have happened and they wouldn’t have had the cover of the whole crowd, so without trump inciting the crowd, the preplanners wouldn’t have been able to do anything.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I forget who characterized it this way and I'm sure they said it better but I agree with the idea that "victim" trump had been loading the gun for two months with The Big Lie about winning the election and then, at the rally, he cocked the gun and fired it directly at the Congress who were counting the electoral votes; then he also attacked his vice president. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    Without the rally, none of this would have happened and they wouldn’t have had the cover of the whole crowd, so without trump inciting the crowd, the preplanners wouldn’t have been able to do anything.
    Trump didn't plan the rally from what I can see though.  The people did.

Someone brought up Manson before in an argument about what Trump says and how it can be perceived so that is back to that point again.
  • static111 said:
    tbergs said:

Someone brought up Manson before in an argument about what Trump says and how it can be perceived so that is back to that point again.
    According to Forbes, Trump’s campaign funded the rally. 

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

Really what do you think they spoke about in the meeting on 1/5 @ Trump hotel suite? Who was bringing Dunking Donuts and coffee to the rally? yeah sure he didn’t incite 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

Really? Sheesh. It's likely you're trying really hard to put this on everyone else except the person who initiated the reason it was even planned in the first place. And yes, this is a lot like what Manson did. Manipulate people with lies and false information until they can't see the difference between their asshole and mouth. Trump abused his position and influence over weak minded idiots and extremists who saw an opening to hide behind his unchecked rhetoric.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • static111 said:
    tbergs said:

If this is true it makes it more interesting.  First I have heard of it.  Thanks for this article!.

If I google "Who paid for Trump rally at capitol" that link does not come up btw.  I see a lot about a Publix heiress and Alex Jones of all people?

This paragraph in particular was rather interesting:
    OpenSecrets noted that the full extent of the payments from Trump’s campaign to rally organizers may be much larger because of how the campaign routed hundreds of millions of dollars through shell companies that obscure the name of the ultimate recipient.
  • static111 said:
    tbergs said:

Really what do you think they spoke about in the meeting on 1/5 @ Trump hotel suite? Who was bringing Dunking Donuts and coffee to the rally? yeah sure he didn’t incite 
    My point is evidence shows that people were going to do stupid shit that day.  It was premeditated.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

If this is true it makes it more interesting.  First I have heard of it.  Thanks for this article!.

If I google "Who paid for Trump rally at capitol" that link does not come up btw.  I see a lot about a Publix heiress and Alex Jones of all people?

OpenSecrets noted that the full extent of the payments from Trump’s campaign to rally organizers may be much larger because of how the campaign routed hundreds of millions of dollars through shell companies that obscure the name of the ultimate recipient.
    The fact that the campaign is using shell companies to distribute money shows both the shady nature of it and a desire to keep it hidden. Sort of sounds like a conspiracy to me.
  • static111 said:
    tbergs said:

The fact that the campaign is using shell companies to distribute money shows both the shady nature of it and a desire to keep it hidden. Sort of sounds like a conspiracy to me.
    I can't agree more.

Every time I think , no way, trump and his base wouldn't do that, I get slapped upside the damn head.
  • static111 said:
    tbergs said:

It went from a rally at the ellipse to a march to the Capitol when Trump got involved. 

https://news.yahoo.com/capitol-march-not-permitted-until-210803676.html

"Reports confirm that the president himself, President Trump, became directly involved with the planning of the event. This is Amy Kremer, one of the founders of Women for America First, tweeting the invitation, tagging Donald Trump and other organizers, inviting the same supporters who had just engaged in serious violence at the second Million MAGA rally, to show up to the largest rally to stop the steal.

And President Trump seemed to have other plans for what was going to happen at that rally too. Women for America First had initially planned for the rally-goers to remain at the Ellipse until the counting of the state electoral slates first was completed, just like they had remained at Freedom Plaza after the second Million MAGA March. In fact, the permits stated in no uncertain terms that the march from the Ellipse was not permitted.

It was not until after President Trump and his team became involved in the planning that the march from the Ellipse to the Capitol came about, in direct contravention of the original permit. This was not a coincidence, none of this was. Donald Trump, over many months, cultivated violence, praised it. And then when he saw the violence his supporters were capable of, he channeled it to his big, wild, historic event."

• static111 said:
    tbergs said:

It went from a rally at the ellipse to a march to the Capitol when Trump got involved. 

"Reports confirm that the president himself, President Trump, became directly involved with the planning of the event. This is Amy Kremer, one of the founders of Women for America First, tweeting the invitation, tagging Donald Trump and other organizers, inviting the same supporters who had just engaged in serious violence at the second Million MAGA rally, to show up to the largest rally to stop the steal.

And President Trump seemed to have other plans for what was going to happen at that rally too. Women for America First had initially planned for the rally-goers to remain at the Ellipse until the counting of the state electoral slates first was completed, just like they had remained at Freedom Plaza after the second Million MAGA March. In fact, the permits stated in no uncertain terms that the march from the Ellipse was not permitted.

It was not until after President Trump and his team became involved in the planning that the march from the Ellipse to the Capitol came about, in direct contravention of the original permit. This was not a coincidence, none of this was. Donald Trump, over many months, cultivated violence, praised it. And then when he saw the violence his supporters were capable of, he channeled it to his big, wild, historic event."

I still have a hard time thinking that he premediated a riot but like I said, every time I think that is not something that would happen I get slapped upside the damn head.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

I still have a hard time thinking that he premediated a riot but like I said, every time I think that is not something that would happen I get slapped upside the damn head.

I don’t know that Trump specifically planned out the details of the riot, but he 100% enabled and encouraged the chaos.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    edited February 2021
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

His rhetoric has had undertones of violence since he hit the campaign trail in 2015.

Edit: Christ, forget about the undertones, some of his speeches outright called for it! 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    PJPOWER said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

I don’t know that Trump specifically planned out the details of the riot, but he 100% enabled and encouraged the chaos.  
    He damn sure sat at the planning table so I’m sure he was at least giving suggestions, I know that the Democrats presented enough evidence including the music selection of the rally ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

which people was that?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The faux outrage is rearing forth.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:

which people was that?

Lol someone raised this light to me a little earlier with another article.  Now it’s all I’m reading since it got brought to the floor.
  • “War boys?” Or is it “War boyz?” Maybe “War Bois?” Yea, this is who should be in charge and listened to.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©

Dozens charged in Capitol riots spewed extremist rhetoric
    By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN and AMANDA SEITZ
    Today

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — In a text message, a radicalized Trump supporter suggested getting a boat to ferry “heavy weapons” across the Potomac River into the waiting arms of their members in time for Jan. 6, court papers say.

It wasn’t just idle talk, authorities say. Investigators found invoices for more than $750 worth of live ammunition and for a firearm designed to look like a cellphone at the Virginia home of Thomas Caldwell, who’s charged with conspiring with members of the far-right Oath Keepers militia group in one of the most sinister plots in the U.S. Capitol siege.

Right-wing extremists, blessed by Donald Trump, were unleashed last month, and their menacing presence has reignited the debate over domestic extremism and how law enforcement should be handling these groups.

Their talk of civil war, traitors and revolution mirrored fighting words echoed by right-wing social media personalities and websites for months as Trump spread bogus claims about a rigged presidential election.

In nearly half of the more than 200 federal cases stemming from the attack on the Capitol, authorities have cited evidence that an insurrectionist appeared to be inspired by conspiracy theories or extremist ideologies, according to an Associated Press review of court records.

The FBI has linked at least 40 defendants to extremist groups or movements, including at least 16 members or associates of the neo-fascist Proud Boys and at least five connected to the anti-government Oath Keepers. FBI agents also explicitly tied at least 10 defendants to QAnon, a pro-Trump conspiracy theory that has grown beyond its fringe origins to penetrate mainstream Republican politics.

In at least 59 other cases, authorities link defendants to violent or extremist rhetoric, conspiracy theories or other far-right connections on social media and other forums before, during or after the Jan. 6 siege, a deeper review by the AP found.

The AP’s review found that in many of those cases the defendants repeated false claims, made by Trump for months of his presidency, that the U.S. election was rigged. Some broadcast death threats at Democrats on their social media accounts or in messages. Others were deeply entwined in a world of far-right conspiracy theories about the COVID-19 pandemic. And dozens of the alleged rioters echoed words used by QAnon supporters, who push a baseless belief that Trump is a secret warrior fighting to expose a cabal of Satan-worshipping bureaucrats and celebrities who traffic children.

On Saturday, the Senate acquitted Trump in his second impeachment trial. A leading liberal advocacy group is urging its supporters to call on attorney general nominee Merrick Garland to “investigate and prosecute Trump and his entire criminal network for law breaking.”

The U.S. attorney’s office in Washington has assigned a special task force of prosecutors examining whether to bring sedition charges against some of the rioters, as prosecutors and federal agents across the country develop more cases against extremists who plotted to attack the Capitol. Prosecutors have another task force examining attacks targeting journalists.

President Joe Biden, in office not yet a month, has already ordered law enforcement and intelligence officials to investigate domestic terrorism. But increased enforcement is not so simple. Much of the inflammatory rhetoric is protected by the First Amendment.

And some civil rights groups have expressed hesitation over any expansion by law enforcement, because Black and Latino communities have born the brunt of security scrutiny and they fear new tools to target extremism will end up tracking them.

Meanwhile, conspiracy theories proliferate. Conservative social media app Parler doubled its userbase, adding 8.7 million users, after the election when Facebook and Twitter cracked down on accounts spreading misinformation about the election.

Calls on the conservative platform for users to revolt or launch a war over the election results also grew, according to the AP's analysis of an archived Parler dataset of 183 million posts and 13 million user profiles.

The archive, which was captured between August 2018 and Jan. 10, when Parler was taken offline, was provided in advance of publication to the AP by researcher Max Aliapoulios at New York University.

Parler posts containing the word “revolution” grew by five times as much as the overall rate of message traffic after the election, the analysis found.

About 84% of posts referring to the hashtag ”#1776″ occurred on or after Election Day, according to AP’s analysis. Post-election references to “treason” and the QAnon slogan “trust the plan” both increased by about 10 times the overall rate, the data showed.

From Jan. 6 through Jan. 8 the terms “civil war,” “trust the plan” and “hold the line” were mentioned more than 250,000 times across online media, including Twitter, Redditt and Instagram, according to an analysis by media intelligence firm Zignal Labs.

As well, Trump supporters who flooded the Capitol were quick to co-opt lingo from the American Revolution and the nation's founding documents to paint themselves as patriots instead of extremists. In the federal cases, the FBI quotes at least 11 defendants referring to “we the people,” at least 10 referring to “1776,” at least nine using “revolution” and at least eight using some variation of “traitor” or “treason.”

“Everybody in there is a treasonous traitor," defendant Peter Stager, a resident of Arkansas, said of the Capitol, on a video posted on Twitter. “Death is the only remedy for what’s in that building.” A lawyer for Stager did not respond to a request for comment.

A Georgia lawyer's Parler posts became increasingly paranoid and angry after the presidential election began to shift to Biden's favor. William Calhoun of Americus, Georgia, posted about storming the Capitol on the eve of the insurrection, warned of an impending “civil war” and threatened to “slaughter” Democrats.

“For my part, I’ll be slinging enough hot lead to stack you commies up like cordwood,” he wrote.

Calhoun returned home after the siege and resumed representing clients at court hearings. Federal agents say he had at least two rifles, four shotguns, a pistol and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in his possession when they arrested him. A magistrate judge ordered Calhoun detained in custody. His lawyer had no comment.

The Oath Keepers prepared in the weeks leading up to Jan. 6 as if they were going to war, investigators say. One advised another extremist to be “fighting fit” by the inauguration and discussed holding “2 days of wargames” as part of a larger “combat” training for “urban warfare, riot control, and rescue operations,” according to court papers.

A judge late last week ruled against releasing Caldwell, who authorities say conspired with members of the Oath Keepers to undo Biden's victory. In urging the judge to keep Caldwell locked up, the prosecutor said authorities found a “death list” at his Virginia home with the name of an election official in another state who gained notoriety around the presidential election.

Caldwell’s lawyer said prosecutors have no evidence that his client, who denies being a member of the Oath Keepers, ever entered the Capitol. He called the indictment “imaginative.”

“These things were taken out of context!” Caldwell interjected at the hearing.

___

Seitz reported from Chicago. Associated Press data journalist Larry Fenn in New York and AP writers Alanna Durkin Richer in Boston and Garance Burke in San Francisco contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • An inside job?

Six US Capitol Police officers have been suspended with pay, and 29 others have been placed under investigation, for their actions in the January 6 riot, a department spokesman said Thursday.

"Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman has directed that any member of her department whose behavior is not in keeping with the Department's Rules of Conduct will face appropriate discipline," department spokesman John Stolnis told CNN.
    CNN reported in January that the USCP had placed at least 10 officers under investigation, and two others had been suspended.

One of the suspended officers took a selfie with someone who was part of the mob that overtook the Capitol, according to Rep. Tim Ryan, a Democrat from Ohio. Another wore a "Make America Great Again" hat and started directing people around the building, Ryan said.

Last month, Pittman said the department "has been actively reviewing video and other open source materials of some USCP officers and officials that appear to be in violation of Department regulations and policies."
    The suspensions and investigations come at a time of internal turmoil at the department as officers continue to grapple with the insurrection that led to the death of Officer Brian Sicknick. Members of the Capitol Police issued a vote of no confidence in the force's top leaders earlier this month.

At least seven officers in five other departments across the country have come under internal investigations as their presence in Washington during the assault comes to light through social media or other means.
    One officer in New York, one in Philadelphia, two in Seattle, two in Virginia and one in Texas are under investigation by their departments for potential rules violations. Additionally, some departments have been contacted by the FBI as part of their criminal investigation into the overrunning of the Capitol.
      The number may grow as investigators and the public sift through social media and lodge allegations that officers may have been involved in the siege.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/politics/capitol-police-officers-suspended/index.html

Brilliantati©

AP sources: Feds pinpoint suspect in officer's riot death
      By MICHAEL BALSAMO
      17 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal investigators probing the death of a U.S. Capitol Police officer killed in the Jan. 6 riot have zeroed in on a suspect seen on video appearing to spray a chemical substance on the officer before he later collapsed and died, two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The FBI has obtained video that shows the person spraying Brian Sicknick and other law enforcement officers during the Jan. 6 riot, the people said. But they cautioned that federal agents haven't yet identified the suspect by name and the act hasn't been directly tied to Sicknick's death.

The idea that Sicknick died after being sprayed by a chemical irritant has emerged in recent weeks as a new theory in the case.

Investigators initially believed that Sicknick was hit in the head with a fire extinguisher, based on statements collected early in the investigation, according to one of the people and another law enforcement official briefed on the case. But as they've collected more evidence, the theory of the case has evolved and investigators now believe Sicknick may have ingested a chemical substance — possibly bear spray — during the riot that may have contributed to his death, the officials said.

The people could not publicly discuss the details of an ongoing investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Sicknick died after defending the Capitol against the mob that stormed the building as Congress was voting to certify Joe Biden’s electoral win over Donald Trump. It came after Trump urged supporters on the National Mall to “fight like hell” to overturn his defeat.

The circumstances surrounding Sicknick’s death remain unclear and a final cause of death has not yet been determined. Capitol Police have said he died after he was injured “while physically engaging with protesters” and this week, the agency’s acting chief said officials consider it a line-of-duty death.

Sicknick collapsed later on, was hospitalized and died. The Justice Department opened a federal murder investigation into his death, but prosecutors are still evaluating what specific charges could be brought in the case, the people said.

In a statement late Friday, Capitol Police said the medical examiner’s report on Sicknick’s death is not yet complete. “We are awaiting toxicology results and continue to work with other government agencies regarding the death investigation,” the statement said.

The New York Times first reported investigators were zeroing in on one suspect in the case; CNN previously reported law enforcement had collected video evidence to identify a handful of potential suspects.

The FBI has already released about 250 photos of people being sought for assaulting federal law enforcement officers during the riot. Some have already been arrested and the Justice Department said about 300 people have been charged with federal offenses related to the riot.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
      And now the investigation turns toward “communications” between terrorists and members of Congress. Over/under on Matt Gets Off being implicated?

Terrorists, communications, inside jobs, Oh My!

Brilliantati©
      edited March 2021
      march 4 2021 a date that will go down as just another Thursday
      Post edited by Kat on

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
      The insurrectionist who hung out in Nancy Pelosi's office seems to think the consequences of doing it is "not fair". https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-pictured-feet-pelosis-desk-190639419.html

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
      The insurrectionist who hung out in Nancy Pelosi's office seems to think the consequences of doing it is "not fair". https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-pictured-feet-pelosis-desk-190639419.html

Does anyone know the reason why he can't make bail?