Cancelled!

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited September 2023 in A Moving Train
so, over the past few days, more people have been cancelled for various transgressions. Most notably, Gina Corano for her remarks on social media comparing the current republican to that of jews in nazi germany. She's been dropped from future Mandalorian episodes. 

And now Matt Good. His ex went on instagram accusing him of "sexual coercion" and infidelity. What the fuck even is that? She's basically accusing him of being an asshole to be in a relationship with, and now he's been dropped by his record company. I'm all for rapists and sexual assaulters being outed and "cancelled", but isn't this going a tad far? She even said in her post that everything she did was consensual. So he manipulated her into doing things she now regrets. 

I was in a shitty relationship where she cheated on me and was very bad for my self esteem and treated me like shit. Do I think I have the right to ruin her life over it? No. I break up with her, learn, and move on. 

At what point is this going too far?
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    "Sexual coercion", so like now you can't say "please honey let's do it, I know you're tired but just a quickie"?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

“Everything that took place was consensual, however, I was told that fulfilling his fantasies were a way to bring our relationship closer together and that it would bring greater intimacy between he and I.

“It did not bring us closer together.”

Yeah...WTF?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    People need to be smarter about what they are saying/doing.
    Some of the stuff is old...so people who have a history of misbehaving could be paying now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

“Everything that took place was consensual, however, I was told that fulfilling his fantasies were a way to bring our relationship closer together and that it would bring greater intimacy between he and I.

Yeah...WTF?

it also adds to my speculation of her intentions because she is a wannabe social media influencer. I know he's "just" a canadian artist, but he is very well known here. 

I hesitate to go down that road, however, as I've previously argued the opposite of "why would anyone ruin their life to wrongly accuse someone of something like this?". But this is just being an asshole. it's not rape. it's not sexual assault. I understand it could be considered mental abuse. But being a dick and an adulterer does not, to me, meet the requirements of cancelling. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some people like to play victim. Some doing the canceling are covering their asses. Or maybe it makes them feel better about themselves...

“Everybody’s got something to hide ‘cept for me and my monkey.”
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    hedonist said:
    Some people like to play victim. Some doing the canceling are covering their asses. Or maybe it makes them feel better about themselves...

“Everybody’s got something to hide ‘cept for me and my monkey.”
    Good tune ;) 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

Yeah...WTF?

it also adds to my speculation of her intentions because she is a wannabe social media influencer. I know he's "just" a canadian artist, but he is very well known here. 

I hesitate to go down that road, however, as I've previously argued the opposite of "why would anyone ruin their life to wrongly accuse someone of something like this?". But this is just being an asshole. it's not rape. it's not sexual assault. I understand it could be considered mental abuse. But being a dick and an adulterer does not, to me, meet the requirements of cancelling. 
    She deleted her Instagram after posting that....weird
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Cancelling, political correctness, emoting, playing the victim, victimizing- it's all all over the top.  I think it's all a product of social media.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Yeah...WTF?

she did? after going on and on about not being silenced and advocating for all of his "other victims"?

something smells kinda rotten with this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Some people need de-programed:

1) Not everyone gets a trophy. They are winners and losers.  Just showing up doesn't make you special.
    2) While you can say whatever you want (mostly), it doesn't mean your opinion actually matters.  If you are uninformed it doesn't matter.  And "free speech" only protects you from government retribution...private industries and companies can do what they want.
    3) Not everyone is special.  Just cause your mom said you were special doesn't mean what you have to say is more important or even worthwhile for others to hear.
    4) If you hear/read something you disagree with but it isn't dangerous or anti-inclusive...it doesn't mean the person deserves to lose their job, etc.  Your feelings just aren't always the most important thing.  Learn how to deal with it.  (likely we all need to be reminded of this one in AMT from time to time ;)).
    hippiemom = goodness
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    brianlux said:
    Cancelling, political correctness, emoting, playing the victim, victimizing- it's all all over the top.  I think it's all a product of social media.
    Could not agree more, social media is a cancer on society.

Yeah...WTF?

she's still there. now it's just private. she probably got a lot of hate posts. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    gina canceled herself. she could not resist the urge to post grievance politics on her social media, after repeated warnings from disney, and lost a lifetime of money in the process. there is a bunch of stuff i would like to post about on social media, but at the same time, i know it could cost me my job.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    gina canceled herself. she could not resist the urge to post grievance politics on her social media, after repeated warnings from disney, and lost a lifetime of money in the process. there is a bunch of stuff i would like to post about on social media, but at the same time, i know it could cost me my job.
    i have no problem with her being cancelled. to be honest. 

I hope disney does a big FU to her and hires Cyborg as her replacement. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I know a woman who has zero capability of restraint in what she says on FaceBook.  She's in real estate and has been booted out of at least two offices that I know of for outrageous things she has said on FB, and each time cries "victim".  She is a capable and, at heart, very good person but not being able to bite her tongue has basically trashed her career.  I don't get it- it's just not worth wrecking ones life just to shout some shit on the internet.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    Could not agree more, social media is a cancer on society.
    I’ll third that!
    i have no problem with her being cancelled. to be honest. 

I hope disney does a big FU to her and hires Cyborg as her replacement. LOL
    disney doesn't play around like that. i know that. i can't believe she didn't.

it is a really bad look for rich actors to compare their plight to that of jewish people during the holocaust.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• brianlux said:

I know a woman who has zero capability of restraint in what she says on FaceBook.  She's in real estate and has been booted out of at least two offices that I know of for outrageous things she has said on FB, and each time cries "victim".  She is a capable and, at heart, very good person but not being able to bite her tongue has basically trashed her career.  I don't get it- it's just not worth wrecking ones life just to shout some shit on the internet.
    I know police officers that do the same.  I am shocked that they broadcast what they do and still have a job.
    brianlux said:

i have learned that sometimes it is best to not say anything. now that i am older i do not like to spend my time on social media sites arguing with strangers and posting super inflammatory things. most of the stuff i post now is stuff i find humorous. i have really shied away from the controversial stuff the last few years. all that does is piss people off and get you reported and potentially zucced, haha.

• Gina Carano wasn't "canceled", she's facing the consequences of her own stupidity. 

She's not a victim. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Dump, dat you? :lol:
    I don’t think social media itself is the issue; it’s the people using it.

The self-absorption, the hate, the gaffes, the sometime-goodness, the need to be seen or known for anything - that already exists. Social media simply facilitates its communication (and the news mistakes this for actual news, but that’s another story).

Gina Carano wasn't "canceled", she's facing the consequences of her own stupidity. 

She's not a victim. 
    being cancelled doesn't equate to, in my opinion, being the victim. 

many have been cancelled that deserved it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

i have learned that sometimes it is best to not say anything. now that i am older i do not like to spend my time on social media sites arguing with strangers and posting super inflammatory things. most of the stuff i post now is stuff i find humorous. i have really shied away from the controversial stuff the last few years. all that does is piss people off and get you reported and potentially zucced, haha.

Wise choices!

hedonist said:

The self-absorption, the hate, the gaffes, the sometime-goodness, the need to be seen or known for anything - that already exists. Social media simply facilitates its communication (and the news mistakes this for actual news, but that’s another story).
    i think that's what people mean by social media being the problem. its gives amplification to things that shouldn't be amplified. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gina Carano wasn't "canceled", she's facing the consequences of her own stupidity. 

She's not a victim. 

I understood your original post to suggest Gina Carano's a victim of cancel culture. 

Did I read that wrong? 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    hedonist said:

That’s not 100% true.  Social media, Facebook specifically, uses AI software that creates algorithms to manipulate people’s accounts to focus on certain topics...the ones that are going to most effectively elicit an emotional response and general clicks.  It’s disgusting.

Gina Carano wasn't "canceled", she's facing the consequences of her own stupidity. 

She's not a victim. 

I understood your original post to suggest Gina Carano's a victim of cancel culture. 

Did I read that wrong? 
    I don't consider her a victim. you can be cancelled for legitimate reasons and for frivolous reasons. Hers, in my view, were legit. Matt Good's, in my view, were not. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

That’s not 100% true.  Social media, Facebook specifically, uses AI software that creates algorithms to manipulate people’s accounts to focus on certain topics...the ones that are going to most effectively elicit an emotional response and general clicks.  It’s disgusting.
    absolutely. it's designed to keep you engaged and addicted. it first grabs you with the rush of likes and just general being noticed, and then it sends you down the rabbit hole of nastiness. it's hard to break free of it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:

I imagine a bunch of other companies do this too. Hell, my email account is still bombarded by ads for a litter box we purchased two months ago!

As to the amplification issue mentioned, I want those with whom I disagree to speak as loudly and freely as those with whom I do concur. That I might be disgusted by another’s words or actions isn’t worth that sacrifice, to me.