*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    Some reports are saying that Lowry is available. I think Morey has to do just about whatever it would take to get him. He fits too perfectly with this roster. Most people are debating what it would take, on top of Danny Green and Mike Scott as salary fillers, to get it done. Some say it would take Maxey, other say Thybulle would be enough. And likely a first round pick as well. Giving up Maxey would hurt (as would Thybulle to an extent) but I think you have to do it if it’s on the table. 
    But what would you do with Ben? Put him at the 4? Tobias has been crushing it there this year and struggled at the 3 last year.

As a Nova fan I love Lowry, but I'm not sure I agree with the fit. If you take the ball out of Ben's hands his inability to shoot becomes an even greater problem. 
    I think Ben would still bring it up when they are trying to push it. He’s done a great job cutting and being somewhat useful off ball so far this year. One of the big positives so far this season is how much better they are doing closing games in crunch time, and Ben has almost never been bringing the ball up in half court possessions in those games, yet he’s still been a net positive in those situations. Plus you can always stagger their minutes with some bench rotations. 

I think the 3/4 thing is overblown. Call Ben the 3 if it makes you feel better, but I really don’t think it changes what they actually do on the court. 
    I don't know man. When they had Jimmy running point a couple years ago in the playoffs, Ben was not much of a factor on offense. I don't see a ton of improvement from him since.

If they're gonna make a trade, I think a shooting guard would be a better fit. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    Some reports are saying that Lowry is available. I think Morey has to do just about whatever it would take to get him. He fits too perfectly with this roster. Most people are debating what it would take, on top of Danny Green and Mike Scott as salary fillers, to get it done. Some say it would take Maxey, other say Thybulle would be enough. And likely a first round pick as well. Giving up Maxey would hurt (as would Thybulle to an extent) but I think you have to do it if it’s on the table. 
    But what would you do with Ben? Put him at the 4? Tobias has been crushing it there this year and struggled at the 3 last year.

As a Nova fan I love Lowry, but I'm not sure I agree with the fit. If you take the ball out of Ben's hands his inability to shoot becomes an even greater problem. 
    I think Ben would still bring it up when they are trying to push it. He’s done a great job cutting and being somewhat useful off ball so far this year. One of the big positives so far this season is how much better they are doing closing games in crunch time, and Ben has almost never been bringing the ball up in half court possessions in those games, yet he’s still been a net positive in those situations. Plus you can always stagger their minutes with some bench rotations. 

I think the 3/4 thing is overblown. Call Ben the 3 if it makes you feel better, but I really don’t think it changes what they actually do on the court. 
    I don't know man. When they had Jimmy running point a couple years ago in the playoffs, Ben was not much of a factor on offense. I don't see a ton of improvement from him since.

But that’s because Ben is worthless in those situations anyway. He can’t run the offense in the half court, especially in those late game situations. 

If you get someone like Beal, he’s going to be bringing the ball down in those situations anyway, just like Jimmy did, and just like this season Tobi, Shake, and Seth have in crunch time. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

But that’s because Ben is worthless in those situations anyway. He can’t run the offense in the half court, especially in those late game situations. 

If you get someone like Beal, he’s going to be bringing the ball down in those situations anyway, just like Jimmy did, and just like this season Tobi, Shake, and Seth have in crunch time. from last year, their % on 3s with this team is even better with Simmons on the court.
    Read the two articles below. One from this year, one from last year.  The Sixers shoot 11% higher from 3 when Ben is on the court this year then when he is off the court.  he also leads the league in assisted 3-pointers.  I hate to say it, but Juggler is right.  Another shooter is better than a point guard.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2021/02/07/what-makes-ben-simmons-invaluable-to-the-philadelphia-76ers/?sh=7b2f32d2101c

https://thesixersense.com/2020/03/30/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-best-3-point-manufacturer/

pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

If you get someone like Beal, he’s going to be bringing the ball down in those situations anyway, just like Jimmy did, and just like this season Tobi, Shake, and Seth have in crunch time. from last year, their % on 3s with this team is even better with Simmons on the court.
    Read the two articles below. One from this year, one from last year.  The Sixers shoot 11% higher from 3 when Ben is on the court this year then when he is off the court.  he also leads the league in assisted 3-pointers.  I hate to say it, but Juggler is right.  Another shooter is better than a point guard.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2021/02/07/what-makes-ben-simmons-invaluable-to-the-philadelphia-76ers/?sh=7b2f32d2101c

https://thesixersense.com/2020/03/30/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-best-3-point-manufacturer/

Lowry is a shooter though? He’s shooting over 36% from 3 this year on much higher volume than any Sixer. And he can get those 3s himself or off of a pass. 

Ben is amazing at assisting 3s, no doubt about it. Especially in transition. I love that about him and bring it up all the time when people talk shit on him. Not sure what that has to do with getting Lowry though. I think Ben would still get 90% of those assists with Lowry on the team. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Lowry is a shooter though? He’s shooting over 36% from 3 this year on much higher volume than any Sixer. And he can get those 3s himself or off of a pass. 

Ben is amazing at assisting 3s, no doubt about it. Especially in transition. I love that about him and bring it up all the time when people talk shit on him. Not sure what that has to do with getting Lowry though. I think Ben would still get 90% of those assists with Lowry on the team. 
    yes but if you give Lowry the ball every other shooter will shoot worse than if Ben has the ball.  they shoot better when Ben is handling the ball then almost every team in the league.  And you don't give up those younger players for Lowry unless you are sending Ben out too.
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

yes but if you give Lowry the ball every other shooter will shoot worse than if Ben has the ball.
    Ben still will have the ball though. Any time they want to push the tempo he would be bringing it down. Lowry would bring it down when it’s slower and the team has to get into the half court offense. Those numbers for Ben aren’t coming in those situations, I bet if you did a deeper dive on those numbers it would be very lopsided toward transition offense. In the half court is when he forces kick outs and turns the ball over. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

I hate to say it, but Juggler is right. 

This weekend we rock Portland
    edited February 2021
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

yes but if you give Lowry the ball every other shooter will shoot worse than if Ben has the ball.
    Ben still will have the ball though. Any time they want to push the tempo he would be bringing it down. Lowry would bring it down when it’s slower and the team has to get into the half court offense. Those numbers for Ben aren’t coming in those situations, I bet if you did a deeper dive on those numbers it would be very lopsided toward transition offense. In the half court is when he forces kick outs and turns the ball over. 
    Yeah, but we've already seen this with Jimmy. And when they get into the playoffs, it is much more of a half court offense. 

This is where Ben's inability to shoot a basketball outside of 3-6 feet rears it's ugly head again. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

Yeah, but we've already seen this with Jimmy. And when they get into the playoffs, it is much more of a half court offense. 

This is where Ben's inability to shoot a basketball outside of 3-6 feet rears it's ugly head again. 
    Exactly. It’s just one of Ben’s weaknesses that has to be worked around until he improves. There’s not a player out there that is going to make Ben useful in those situations. 
    edited February 2021
    How about getting Lowry and Beal in exchange for Simmons?  lol....ton to give up here. But fun to look at rumors

https://thesixersense.com/2021/01/29/philadelphia-76ers-trade-bradley-beal-kyle-lowry/

• PHI gets: Kyle Lowry, Bradley Beal
    • TOR gets: Tyrese Maxey, Matisse Thybulle, Mike Scott, Davis Bertans
    • WAS gets: Ben Simmons, Danny Green, 2021 first-round pick (unprotected via PHI), 2023 first round pick (unprotected via PHI), 2022 lottery-protected first-round pick (via TOR), swap rights with Philadelphia for 2024 first-round pick

Philadelphia 76ers

Let’s start on what Philadelphia gives up.

Two first round picks, one future swap aren’t nothing. Maxey and Thybulle were late first round picks.

Speaking of the players, Maxey appears to be a dynamic scoring guard. He would be a tough young player to let go, and yet he could have been drafted 20th overall and this wouldn’t be discussed. It shouldn’t cause Morey to freeze now.

Matisse Thybulle is one of the best defensive guards in the league and causes a smothering pairing with Ben Simmons. Yet this combo doesn’t yield results as their two-man lineup ranks near the bottom of duo’s involving Simmons, per NBA.com and Doc Rivers has already relegated Thybulle’s minutes typically leaving him behind Milton and Maxey. For all his prowess on the defensive end he isn’t a perfect fit with Joel Embiid, either. Ultimately, his skill will be less missed than his fame off the court.

Danny Green… He has somehow earned a less than deserving reputation despite being the only back-to-back champion in the NBA. Again, though; changes nothing. He is on the final year of his deal and might not be on the court in the final minutes of playoff games.

Scott serves as cash fodder. His presence will be missed in that he was a somewhat bigger body who could spread the floor. He should be easily replaced via buyout and minimum free agents.

The biggest piece is Ben Simmons. Philadelphia fans don’t need to be reminded of his potential.

Problem is that despite his potential, he hasn’t proven capable late in games. Last year, Simmons averaged less than three points per fourth quarter and muddies the lane for Embiid.  Come playoffs, late in game, the floor will congest, and Philadelphia can’t spend another playoff waiting to see where/what Simmons role is. That question had to have some semblance of direction by now.

Philadelphia knows it will be giving up a lot in a 24 year-old all-star, two recent first-rounders, future picks, etc., but putting together a contender doesn’t come cheap. Championships are built on talent and how that talent comes together.

So, let’s focus on what would be coming together.

Bradley Beal and Kyle Lowry.

We’ve touched on it lightly, but Beal’s numbers speak for themselves. He is currently averaging roughly 35 points, five rebounds, and five assists. His creation, his floor spacing, his off-ball playmaking would all be showcased alongside Embiid creating a modern day rendition of Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler.

Beal has been clamoring to play for a winner. He would get his chance in Philadelphia.

In addition, Kyle Lowry gets to return home while competing for an NBA championship. We mentioned how some Toronto fans might never forgive a Lowry trade, but many will understand they’re not winning, they get a great haul, and send their hero back to his original hometown. He would provide proven, veteran leadership while handling lead guard defensive duties, spreading the floor, and dictating the tempo.

Ultimately, this package is similar to the one Houston apparently wanted from Philadelphia. They asked for three first rounders, Maxey, Thybulle, and Simmons. I praised Morey for saying no. This trade adds Green and moves one pick to a swap. That’s a better position for Philadelphia. It doesn’t return Harden, but it does bring in more production with two guards who have combined for 53 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 assists per game while bringing star power and increased motivation.

Philadelphia would instantaneously be threats to the Brooklyn Nets and Milwaukee Bucks as they make a second attempt at a four star group this time headlined by Embiid and all-star shooting.

Moving forward, Washington enters their rebuild with draft capital and a 24-year old, perennial all-star. Toronto gets real assets in exchange for a final couple games with Lowry, and Philadelphia gets stars and shooting to give Embiid a real chance to show his dominance.

It’s a win-win-win. (Michael scott gif).

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That starting lineup would be unreal! It would be a lot to give up but I think you do it. If it doesn’t work out right away then it seems like a lot to give up, but even if Lowry ends up being wasted it’s not like Morey would be screwed. You still have Embiid and Beal to build around. 
    RiotZact said:
    That starting lineup would be unreal! It would be a lot to give up but I think you do it. If it doesn’t work out right away then it seems like a lot to give up, but even if Lowry ends up being wasted it’s not like Morey would be screwed. You still have Embiid and Beal to build around. 
    Yeah....I really hope they can find a way to make it work with both Ben and Jo on the team together though. 

Of smaller moves, I saw some JJ Redick rumors recently. He's having a horrible year, but wouldn't mind him off the bench for some instant offense. Maybe coming back here might rejuvenate him for a few months. Wouldn't want to give up much though. Could be a buyout type candidate...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2021
    Aggressive Ben Simmons needs to be on the court every night. Hell of a start 

good evening
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Nice win! The combo of Ben and Matisse in the 4th is so stifling on D. Fox couldn’t do shit on Matisse. I like the nickname “The Great Barrier Thieves” for the two of them. 

I was a little concerned with how gassed Joel looked right out of the gate. I’m sure flights suck and all but I would think multiple days of rest would be enough too not look completely depleted at the start of a game. Each of these road games only has one day in between, so it’s not going to get any easier. 
    Yeah Embiid had one of his worst games of the season last night but he still finished with 25, 17 and 6. 13 of 14 from the line!

MVP.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah Embiid had one of his worst games of the season last night but he still finished with 25, 17 and 6. 13 of 14 from the line!

MVP.
    Yeah it’s amazing that he’s having the type of season where he can have a game like that and have it be considered mediocre. 
    RiotZact said:

MVP.
    Yeah it’s amazing that he’s having the type of season where he can have a game like that and have it be considered mediocre. 
    No one better at drawing fouls than him. So even on a lackluster night, he's still gonna get around 10 or so points from the line.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:

MVP.
    No one better at drawing fouls than him. So even on a lackluster night, he's still gonna get around 10 or so points from the line.
    Yep! I just wish he wasn’t so visibly gassed on the first game of a road trip. I honestly wonder sometimes if they should knock it off with the fried chicken sandwiches on the road trips. 
    Aggressive Ben is back!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I stayed up until 1:00 am just so they could not even impound the ball at the end? 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Ouch, that Booker kid always puts up good numbers against us. Hoping for a split but against the Jazz it’s gonna be tough.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    the snow is falling like Clarkson 3’s.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited February 2021
    ^He is a hell of an asset off the bench for you guys. Moral victories suck, but that was a solid effort without Jojo and Shake. Just didn't have our closer to finish the come back. 

Ben was a monster until the last few minutes last night. Goes to show he can score when he wants. Need that aggressiveness night in night out to take his game to the next level.

@Wobbie ....notice how Simmons had 42 points on 26 shots while your inefficient boy had 24 on 24 shots? lol

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    simmons might do that every night, if not for embiid.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Gimmie half those points with Embiid and I will be a happy camper.

Your team is damn good. First time I've watched more than a few minutes of them this year. If that Michell guy can get a little more efficient, you might have something there!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wobbie said:
    And with Embiid the Sixers likely win that game handily. I prefer that option over Simmons filling the stat sheet on a .500 team.

But yeah, the Jazz are rock solid for sure. Excited to play them again in Philly for the last game before the break. Hopefully both teams are full strength at that point. 
    Least they're back at home tonight. And i believe Embiid is playing so that's good
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Least they're back at home tonight. And i believe Embiid is playing so that's good
    Embiid in....Ben out, managing his load.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Just saw that

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Just saw that

When is the new show starting up? 
    chinese-happy.jpg