• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hit a couple shops and they had good selection.  Key is to get there before noon on a Saturday. 

Nice! Is that an RL cut of The Stranger?
    I’m not sure.  It was mastered at Sterling and has the logo in the runout, but no “RL”.  It is a first pressing though.  Are his initials in the ones he did for this?
    Yes his initials would be there, RL did the Masterdisk versions not the Sterlings however. I think Ted Jenson did the Sterling cuts. I have a few of the RL cuts, every time I see The Stranger in bins I look for RL. I keep trying to upgrade conditions, the best one I have right now is VG. Still looking for that elusive 2A/2A WLP.
    Interesting.  I thought he was still at Sterling in the 70s. Is there a pretty distinct difference between the sterling and master?  I wouldn’t mind upgrading to the MOFI at some point either, although the greatest hits box is the one I really want from mofi, but it’s not reasonably priced at the moment.
    I honestly have never heard a Sterling. Once I found out about the RL, it is all I really every searched out. And the earliest I have found is a 2A/3A in VG condition. Still crackle here and there, would love to find a NM promo.

Now I am with you on the Greatest Hits, the MOFI has been on  my want list for a while. Hopefully they repress it sometime.
    I had a Jensen.  It sounded good, but sold it when I got my RL.  I’ve got the MOFI Stranger as well.  I like them both!  I’ve also got the mofi greatest hits :)
    So you heard a difference between the TJ and the RL?
    It’s been so long since I compared them to be honest. I remember the Ludwig being a little bit better, but not Miles better like a LZ II.  I let the TJ go because I did not feel that I needed three copies of the album.  None of those pressings sound bad...
    Okay thanks.  My TJ is super clean for its age, so no reason to get too picky.  If MOFI does another release, I'll definitely grab that.  The record could use some heft and and Krieg is (in)famous for his expanded bass mastering at MOFI
    I will say this TJ Terra Haute copy of 52nd street sounds fantastic.  Much livelier than the Stranger.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Joel-52nd-Street/release/7403788

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    I will say this TJ Terra Haute copy of 52nd street sounds fantastic.  Much livelier than the Stranger.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Joel-52nd-Street/release/7403788

Not sure about the TJ stranger, maybe you got a bad egg. MY RL Stranger definitely not thin, sounds very good.
  • I've been trying to wrap my head around discogs but there seems to be sooo much info and I haven't figured out how to filter certain things.

I've been trying to figure out what year/press a Toots and the Maytals record was printed as I don't want a digitally remastered version.

Any help?  Pointers?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I've been trying to wrap my head around discogs but there seems to be sooo much info and I haven't figured out how to filter certain things.

I've been trying to figure out what year/press a Toots and the Maytals record was printed as I don't want a digitally remastered version.

Any help?  Pointers?
    I recently cataloged my entire collection and found it to be hit and miss.
    Try typing the runout number into the search bar. Seemed to narrow things down. Also the the app allows you to scan the barcode, which seems to work okay.

Im sure a few others on here are much more proficient and have better tips.
    I've been trying to wrap my head around discogs but there seems to be sooo much info and I haven't figured out how to filter certain things.

Any help?  Pointers?
    Try typing the runout number into the search bar. Seemed to narrow things down. Also the the app allows you to scan the barcode, which seems to work okay.

Yes, for older records (60s and 70s), lots of different pressing plants will use the same core number.  So the best way to do it is enter the number that's actually in the run out groove.  You'll need a flashlight and maybe reading glasses.  For pressings in the last 15 years or so, the normal catalog number is usually sufficient.  Very few releases (if any) go to multiple pressing plants these days.  

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Which toots are you after? I'd think if it was an older pressing it wouldn't be digital. Check with @MedozK. You know he knows what's up.
    Only one I have is funky kingston. 49 cent find from salvation army. Back when it was cool to go out and get germs.
  • I've been trying to wrap my head around discogs but there seems to be sooo much info and I haven't figured out how to filter certain things.

Any help?  Pointers?

mrussel1 said:

Any help?  Pointers?

Yes, for older records (60s and 70s), lots of different pressing plants will use the same core number.  So the best way to do it is enter the number that's actually in the run out groove.  You'll need a flashlight and maybe reading glasses.  For pressings in the last 15 years or so, the normal catalog number is usually sufficient.  Very few releases (if any) go to multiple pressing plants these days.  

Something that through me for a loop was "Mastered by Capital Records"  Not one Discogs item referenced this...

Oh and it's a Herbie Hancock record.  I decided on a MOV Toots album.
  • Loujoe said:
    Which toots are you after? I'd think if it was an older pressing it wouldn't be digital. Check with @MedozK. You know he knows what's up.
    Only one I have is funky kingston. 49 cent find from salvation army. Back when it was cool to go out and get germs.
    The 2 albums I am after are Herbie Hancock-Empyrian isles and Toots- Monkey Man
    Loujoe said:
    The 2 albums I am after are Herbie Hancock-Empyrian isles and Toots- Monkey Man
    If you're willing to spend the $, this is the HH to get.  https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hancock-Empyrean-Isles/release/6771572

There's also a BG one, but KG would be the way to go if you can.  
  • BG?  KG?

MM is Music Matters, Yay me!  I know an acronym!!!
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    BG?  KG?

Sorry, BG=Bernie Grundman.  He's a pretty famous master engineer.  Also working with him is CB (Chris Bellman), who did Gigaton as an example.  These are two highly respected engineers.  A lot of these guys are known by their initials because they put them in the runout grooves.  

KG = Kevin Grey.  He is the master's master, in my opinion.  He runs a place called Cohearant Audio.  If he's on the project, then you can be sure only the highest source audio will be used, the lacquer cut will be exquisite and the pressing plant will be an A+.  He does not work on mediocre projects.  I will buy records just because KG did the mastering.  He's that good.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    BG?  KG?

Sorry, BG=Bernie Grundman.  He's a pretty famous master engineer.  Also working with him is CB (Chris Bellman), who did Gigaton as an example.  These are two highly respected engineers.  A lot of these guys are known by their initials because they put them in the runout grooves.  

KG = Kevin Grey.  He is the master's master, in my opinion.  He runs a place called Cohearant Audio.  If he's on the project, then you can be sure only the highest source audio will be used, the lacquer cut will be exquisite and the pressing plant will be an A+.  He does not work on mediocre projects.  I will buy records just because KG did the mastering.  He's that good.  
    Most records on ebay aren't listing who cut what and people on discogs want too damn much, lol.

Thanks for that info.  If I see a pic of the record I'll look.

Now I have some Homework to do!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    BG?  KG?

Most records on ebay aren't listing who cut what and people on discogs want too damn much, lol.

If you’re willing to wait, the Hancock album could be up for the KG treatment via the Blue Note Classic release series. These release are outstanding and reasonably priced. The release schedule is up through June/July 2021. Maidens Voyage will be released on this series in the summer. Wouldnt be surprised if Empyrian Isles gets reissued via this series or possibly via Tone Poet in the future.
  • mrussel1 said:
    BG?  KG?

If you’re willing to wait, the Hancock album could be up for the KG treatment via the Blue Note Classic release series. These release are outstanding and reasonably priced. The release schedule is up through June/July 2021. Maidens Voyage will be released on this series in the summer. Wouldnt be surprised if Empyrian Isles gets reissued via this series or possibly via Tone Poet in the future.
    Interesting.  Thanks.  I wouldn't mind picking up Maiden Voyage either.

So Rudy Van Gelder should be off the table then?  Don't buy those editions?
    mrussel1 said:
    BG?  KG?

Interesting.  Thanks.  I wouldn't mind picking up Maiden Voyage either.

So Rudy Van Gelder should be off the table then?  Don't buy those editions?
    No, those are great.  RVG did the initial recording.  People like KG take those masters and make them into magic.  Anything recorded in his living room should be good, if the right engineer gets them. 

I find great records on Amazon that are in production (new ones) on Amazon.  You just need to check the UPC and the release date and compare it to Discogs.  Ebay would be tough.  If you're looking used, Discogs is the place to buy them.  Just ask the seller to validate that the runout or whatever.  Most sellers list things in the right release properly, but not all. 

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2021
    If you're after Herbie records right now and you're already considering buying two "best pressings" of his albums ($$$$), the VMP Anthology will be handled by Bernie Grundman and run you $349: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/the-story-of-herbie-hancock?variant=32913584980058. Will there be better pressings out there in the wild? Probably. But these will be likely be amazing if you can get chasing down KG pressings out of your head.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    If you're after Herbie records right now and you're already considering buying two "best pressings" of his albums ($$$$), the VMP Anthology will be handled by Bernie Grundman and run you $349: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/the-story-of-herbie-hancock?variant=32913584980058. Will there be better pressings out there in the wild? Probably. But these will be likely be amazing if you can get chasing down KG pressings out of your head.
    This is perfect.

TY Dankind you friggin limp noodle.
    dankind said:
    That's pretty cool.  I'm surprised the Prisoner isn't in there.  Considering it was about MLK, I always thought it was an important record.  
    edited January 2021
    Back in stock at Acoustic Sounds for $40. Great price for four records.  Plus it's supposedly amazing sounding.

It's Kevin Grey and Steve Hoffman together on this project. 

Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    Back in stock at Acoustic Sounds for $40. Great price for four records.  Plus it's supposedly amazing sounding.

When you have a friend that doesn’t understand how vinyl can sound better, play them this record. It’s like hearing the album again for the first time, and for $40 it is a steal. 
    Two more KG records show up! 

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    mrussel1 said:

When you have a friend that doesn’t understand how vinyl can sound better, play them this record. It’s like hearing the album again for the first time, and for $40 it is a steal. 
    Truly a great pressing. I lucked out a few years ago and got it from Walmart.com for $13.90. I still feel like I practically stole it.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    DC29940 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Truly a great pressing. I lucked out a few years ago and got it from Walmart.com for $13.90. I still feel like I practically stole it.
    There's no "practically" about it. 
    And another KPG mastering arrives today!  This was under the radar,  mastered from the original analog tapes!  Three deliveries in one day means I started getting the stink eye from the other adult in the house. 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mrussel1 said:
    And another KPG mastering arrives today!  This was under the radar,  mastered from the original analog tapes!  Three deliveries in one day means I started getting the stink eye from the other adult in the house. 

Great album. Enjoy. I found out on discogs that I have the 1986 reissue. That's probably when I bought it as well.

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2021
    mrussel1 said:

Yea, KG did a lot of cuts for Friday Music. The only questionable part of Friday Music issues were that they usually used Rainbo for their pressing. But if you get a nice pressing, the mastering is always top notch.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yea, KG did a lot of cuts for Friday Music. The only questionable part of Friday Music issues were that they usually used Rainbo for their pressing. But if you get a nice pressing, the mastering is always top notch.
    Yeah rainbo is a crap shoot.  So far so good though.  Bought it from Amazon so low risk.  It's much more present than my original which I find a little muddled.  This has really good air between the instruments,  and it's much more present 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:
    Two more KG records show up! 

The Tone Poets are awesome!  I listened to Donald Byrd last night, so good.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit