New PJ book....

Comments

• KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Does it have a lot of photos?  Trying to decide between Kindle and Hardcover.  Thanks!
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • KV4053 said:
    Does it have a lot of photos?  Trying to decide between Kindle and Hardcover.  Thanks!
    Not many no
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • demetrios said:

Chapters seems to have it only in Ebook...  Anxious to have it for real !
    Given to fly, I am mine, thus released...
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    edited October 2020
    Post edited by demetrios on
    Thanks Ronen! :)

• KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Nice!
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Am I the only one who thinks this kind of sucks? I’m about a third through it and all I get out of it so far is a lot of pointing out Ed’s bad behavior and bitching about certain songs.  Im fairness I pretty much think anyone who says “I hope I never hear...insert song name” is a pretentious dbag so reading that about Alive early in the book started me off on the wrong foot. I mean if I wanted to read comments putting down Ed’s behavior and Ten I’d pull up comments from Billy Corgan
  • I agree with pjhawks 100%!
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    i quit after 60 pages.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • I’m on page 90 and am trying (struggling) to push through

I feel like - so far anyway - it’s a collection of little hot takes off stuff that’s already been reported or could be found quickly with simple Google searches. 

I want something new, and I don’t think I’ll find it in here. 

But that’s me. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjhawks said:
    Am I the only one who thinks this kind of sucks? I’m about a third through it and all I get out of it so far is a lot of pointing out Ed’s bad behavior and bitching about certain songs.  Im fairness I pretty much think anyone who says “I hope I never hear...insert song name” is a pretentious dbag so reading that about Alive early in the book started me off on the wrong foot. I mean if I wanted to read comments putting down Ed’s behavior and Ten I’d pull up comments from Billy Corgan
    Owl Jam said:
    I agree with pjhawks 100%!
    ComeToTX said:
    i quit after 60 pages.
    I’m on page 90 and am trying (struggling) to push through

I feel like - so far anyway - it’s a collection of little hot takes off stuff that’s already been reported or could be found quickly with simple Google searches. 

But that’s me. 

thanks for confirming my fears. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    Damn. I picked it up a couple of days ago but still have a couple of books ahead of it to read. My local book store had one copy and that they had it, I decided to just buy it without waiting for more reviews. Still excited to start it and then we'll see..
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    pjhawks said:
    Owl Jam said:
    I agree with pjhawks 100%!
    ComeToTX said:
    i quit after 60 pages.
    I’m on page 90 and am trying (struggling) to push through

But that’s me. 

thanks for confirming my fears. 

Same...I had these feelings very early but thought I was alone.  It's just not a good book.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Not sure if the "author" is actually a fan. Goes off track way to much, bags out more songs than he likes & says GTF is not a good song & then compares it to Celine Dion. Put it down after that & going in the bin & the worst $33 I have spent in my life. 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
    BALLBOY said:
    Not sure if the "author" is actually a fan. Goes off track way to much, bags out more songs than he likes & says GTF is not a good song & then compares it to Celine Dion. Put it down after that & going in the bin & the worst $33 I have spent in my life. 
    yikes. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2021
    demetrios said:
    They typos in that one page alone are an embarrassment to publishing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Damn. I haven’t even started reading it and I want to return it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I just got this. I’m about 100 pages in. There’s a few tidbits here and there that I’ve found interesting that I didn’t know. MTV unplugged being filmed at midnight for instance. But man, the author is insufferable. “Like all Americans, I can measure out my life in mass shootings” is how he starts out the Jeremy section. Umm...ok. And the constant opinions he states as if they’re facts (the Red Hot Chili Peppers are awful, the Velvet Underground are basically gods) and stating which songs are good and which one’s aren’t (“Once” is “sophomoric”). Also kind of pretentious throughout. 

Not required reading. And at times, not enjoyable reading. But when he’s detailing big events, (Pinkpop ‘92, etc.) and you ignore his opinions, it’s fine to pick up and read a few chapters at your leisure. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Good read so far.  A little strange at times in his humor, but he gets what the addiction is like for sure
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    I liked it at the start. Some interesting sections. However as I've read on, I find it difficult reading and have stopped. Some of the on stage quotes from Eddie are tough reading, seem exaggerated (for the supposed anger). Listening to them live, just seems like normal banter.  
    Constant criticism of the band and some classic songs too, sort of thing, why bother.
    Kearnsy
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/songs-of-note/id1488884489?i=1000506573352

Ryan talks with Ronen Givony, author of the new Pearl Jam book, Not For You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense. Buy Ronen's book, Not For You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense:
  • BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 63
    Early chapters of the book had a handful of interesting tidbits about moments or events that were new, the rest was mostly stuff any dedicated fan would already know and the opinions of the author who comes off as a self-loathing PJ fan. I get that we're all critical of certain songs, concert moments, decisions, events, etc. but I feel like there is so much more to appreciate about the band and their music and the way the have gone about being one of the biggest, most successful bands in music that deserves more pages in a book like this than the negative viewpoints the author chose to include. But, that's the author's prerogative and the fact that their are many books, docs, articles, podcasts, and more about PJ with all types of opinions is part of what makes the band continue to transcend just the music as they always have. That's a part of what makes them legendary. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • demetrios said:
    They typos in that one page alone are an embarrassment to publishing. 
    In fairness, he’s quoting YouTube comments about how great Dave is...which is lame, but that’s the reason that page has so many spelling mistakes. 

But while those spelling mistakes were intended, this book needed some major editing. Some of the tangents are meaningless, and often pretentious. And really, do we need a verbatim version of Courtney reading Kurt’s suicide note? Or three pages of Mark Arm recalling the Mudhoney’s White House experience while PJ was in with Clinton? Or five pages slamming Stone Temple Pilots cause Weiland’s voice kinda sounds like Ed’s? And the author has the nerve to slam Kim Neely’s book from the 90’s, which, while not perfect, at least got to the fucking point. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 267
    edited February 2021
    I'm halfway through. There's some good stuff in there that I hadn't read before - snippets of interviews that I'd not read and some quotes of on-stage rants/monologues that were interesting. It's a PJ book... so of course it's interesting! 

But in terms of structure it's a hot mess. The author is a bit of a pseud, so starts every chapter with a quote from some literary classic, which is totally unnecessary and very often has bugger all to do with the subject beyond the odd word. The book also has these flights of fancy where it'll take a detour into topics that are not necessarily unrelated to PJ's history at the time - i.e. David Gunn's shooting - but will overstay its welcome on these topics. A summary is fine, and obviously a bit of context is important, but you'll get pages of the stuff. Could have benefited from a bit of editing down. 

And then there are some HORRIBLE hot takes. I mean, everyone has their own opinions. No problem. But he outright dismisses Mother Love Bone as a piece of crap (aside from Crown of Thorns). And it's written as a statement of fact. And there are plenty of opinions like that. He's really quite dismissive about Ten, which is strange - I can only assume he didn't really get into PJ until Vs and so he's downplaying it a bit or something.  

It looks like the second half of PJ's career is given short shrift judging by how much the 90s takes up in the book. But then the author flat-out says that after their golden period (up to Yield) the band pretty much go to the dogs, so probably best he doesn't spend too long writing about that or it'll get uglier. 

So overall, a mixed bag. It feels like the stuff that's interesting is kind of "in spite of" the author rather than "because of", if that's not too harsh. 
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380
    edited February 2021
    The structure is weird, with each chapter being titled with a certain show followed by a literary quote and then there's all sorts of current events thrown in as the PJ history unfolds.   Its just too many framing devices to be coherent.  Just pick one and go with it.

Also the author's strange sentence structures are distracting, --  the double dashes being his favorite --  and appear on nearly every page.  And his opinions on certain songs are not always supported very well.  His distaste for anything post-Yield is also off putting .  There are also strange contradictions where at the start of the book, he's says the reason he's been to 50+ shows is because of the setlist variety but by the epilogue,  he's calling their current shows formulaic which I don't get.  And he criticizes the band on the TicketMaster stance, complaining that they could have been making more music during that period instead of standing up to the industry.  Maybe so.. but lots of fans cite that fight as one of PJ's most endearing moments to the fans.  And they also probably needed a bit of a break.

On the positive side though, there is some good stuff in here .  The revisiting of early shows and the early timelines of how the band came to be were nice refreshers with a few new bits thrown in.   Love revisiting any road stories from that early period.  And there is a truly mind blowing sliding doors what if about a certain Shadow audition.

Much better than Five Against One, but I'm hoping the recently announced Steven Hyden PJ book is an improvement
    Post edited by Tremorman on