White Privilege

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    Well white privilege is apparently attempting a violent coup at the us capitol and getting treated with kids gloves 
    A lady was shot and killed, from what I saw looked like the police. How is that white privilege or kids gloves?
    I think today was terrible. No one should storm a capitol building like that. I hope they are all caught. But I keep hearing and seeing comments like this, or comparing it to BLM and talk about the white privilege and I just don’t agree. BLM lasted for months, were allowed to take over police precincts in some cases. We’re allowed to assault police in many cases. The few times t be y were prosecuted the DA was fired and celebrities posted the bail. 
    This just seems more like a lesson in Newton’s Third Law than white privilege.
    one shooting. come on. look at the rest of how it went down. had that been muslims or black people? mass casualties. guaranteed. 
    Really? Did you forget the BLM protests attacking police and they were ordered to stand down? Come on. If these were black people they would not have been shot. We proved that this summer. I don’t get all these posts on social media saying they’d all be dead if they weren’t white. Did everyone already forget burning down police preforms, throwing bricks and police etc this summer?
    edited January 2021
    No reason to argue it - anyone who wants to discuss what went down today by comparing to this summers protests about the systemic racism in America is not interested in a real discussion.  

Making that comparison is white privilege at work.
    I’m responding to the “if they were black....” comments. Has nothing to do with the reason for the protests/riots. Being about racism or politics, you can’t sit here and say if these people were black they would have been killed in mass numbers. That just didn’t happen. Pretending it did and would is being not interested in a real discussion.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    Well white privilege is apparently attempting a violent coup at the us capitol and getting treated with kids gloves 
    A lady was shot and killed, from what I saw looked like the police. How is that white privilege or kids gloves?
    I think today was terrible. No one should storm a capitol building like that. I hope they are all caught. But I keep hearing and seeing comments like this, or comparing it to BLM and talk about the white privilege and I just don’t agree. BLM lasted for months, were allowed to take over police precincts in some cases. We’re allowed to assault police in many cases. The few times t be y were prosecuted the DA was fired and celebrities posted the bail. 
    one shooting. come on. look at the rest of how it went down. had that been muslims or black people? mass casualties. guaranteed. 
    Really? Did you forget the BLM protests attacking police and they were ordered to stand down? Come on. If these were black people they would not have been shot. We proved that this summer. I don’t get all these posts on social media saying they’d all be dead if they weren’t white. Did everyone already forget burning down police preforms, throwing bricks and police etc this summer?
    watch the footage of today vs footage of george floyd protests. THERE. IS. NO. COMPARISON. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mace1229 said:
    No reason to argue it - anyone who wants to discuss what went down today by comparing to this summers protests about the systemic racism in America is not interested in a real discussion.  

I’m responding to the “if they were black....” comments. Has nothing to do with the reason for the protests/riots. Being about racism or politics, you can’t sit here and say if these people were black they would have been killed in mass numbers. That just didn’t happen. Pretending it did and would is being not interested in a real discussion.
    If these people were black they never would have made it into the capital.
    If they tried to get past police and storm the chambers there sure as hell would have been a lot of shooting.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Some people are proud today.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Sure are.

mace1229 said:

If they tried to get past police and storm the chambers there sure as hell would have been a lot of shooting.  
    We’re arguing a hypothetical, so we just have to disagree. I think the looting and riots that happened over the summer were shameful and I think storming the Capitol is shameful. I’m not happy or supporting or excusing any of it. I just don’t see color having anything to do with it. They were allowed to throw bricks at police without any consequence in the summer, I don’t see any reason to believe there’d be mass violence if this crowd was not white today. I don’t see how this is white privilege. And when you think about it, 1 riot in 1 city that lasted a few hours and the police shot 2 and killed 1. I can’t recall the police shooting anyone as a result of riots that lasted for months over the summer, that took place in dozens of cities who literally beat police and bystanders and burned down buildings and took over a police precinct. I can’t think of 1 person shot in all that (by police, as a direct result of a riot). If the summer protests had the same shooting rate as today there’d literally be hundreds dead from police. But like I said, it’s a hypothetical, you have your belief and I have mine. And that’s okay.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    watch the footage of today vs footage of george floyd protests. THERE. IS. NO. COMPARISON. 
    This...
    mace1229 said:

...and this.

These radical right wing insurgents got off easy.  They were able to breach "security" around the nations Capitol.  That's a bit shocking.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    NBA players got it correct “epitome of white privilege”. 
    And those of you with relatives in the police force are scrambling today to explain away what the rest of us see clearly.
    SorryMace1229, you’re wrong and this is so far past your excuses of hypotheticals. 
    If it wasn’t so sad the lack of response from the police would be comical in comparison. 
    White privilege is alive and well.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

We’re arguing a hypothetical, so we just have to disagree. I think the looting and riots that happened over the summer were shameful and I think storming the Capitol is shameful. I’m not happy or supporting or excusing any of it. I just don’t see color having anything to do with it. They were allowed to throw bricks at police without any consequence in the summer, I don’t see any reason to believe there’d be mass violence if this crowd was not white today. I don’t see how this is white privilege. And when you think about it, 1 riot in 1 city that lasted a few hours and the police shot 2 and killed 1. I can’t recall the police shooting anyone as a result of riots that lasted for months over the summer, that took place in dozens of cities who literally beat police and bystanders and burned down buildings and took over a police precinct. I can’t think of 1 person shot in all that (by police, as a direct result of a riot). If the summer protests had the same shooting rate as today there’d literally be hundreds dead from police. But like I said, it’s a hypothetical, you have your belief and I have mine. And that’s okay.
    No, police do all their black shootings with their cameras off and while no ones looking. And that’s not ok. And this is about anyone’s beliefs, this is about the truth. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited January 2021

Nailed it.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I really wish we could focus.  Certainly there should be a time to discuss the security plan and reasons.  Then compare to other security plans.

Can we focus on the treasonous traitors including the president of the united states of america right now though?  Gotta be more important today no?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I really wish we could focus.  Certainly there should be a time to discuss the security plan and reasons.  Then compare to other security plans.

Can we focus on the treasonous traitors including the president of the united states of america right now though?  Gotta be more important today no?  
    I mean it all did happen because white people are scared of living in an equitable society.  The events of yesterday were the direct result of white privilege. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited January 2021

I think yesterday's events definitely apply to this thread. 

I think yesterday's events definitely apply to this thread. 

100%.  People not seeing that means we still are not agreeing on the problem noted in this thread. 

First, our President didn't tell the protestors this year that he loved them.  He called them "thugs" -- which, when used by Trump we know is a code word for N.
    Second....out of 300.  Just...this:

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

No, police do all their black shootings with their cameras off and while no ones looking. And that’s not ok. And this is about anyone’s beliefs, this is about the truth. 
    It was about a hypothetical question. My comments weren’t about the system or anything else, just my opinion on a hypothetical question.
    That being said, I don’t know how anyone can believe yesterday’s riot was worse than the months of BLM riots. BLM riots lasted for months across the nation, many innocent bystanders were beaten and hospitalized. Some killed. Cops were targeted and beaten and shot. Hundreds of buildings destroyed. And it was allowed to happen. In many cases local officials gave permission for it to happen by openly stating they were not going to prosecute and allow room to demonstrate. Seems like I’m about the only one here who thinks the months of violence was worse than the few hours yesterday. By every measure it was worse. Yesterday was already over before I had a chance to come home and comment. We had multiple active threads on BLM riots.
    That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a terrible thing or that there doesn’t need to be changed in police practices. It just means riots that last for months across the entire country where hundreds are beaten and include several deaths and hundreds of buildings burned down is worse then one single riot that lasts a few hours and they break a few windows and enter a building and yell at people and the only serious injury and death that I’m aware of are those who participated in the riot. Show me where hundreds of buildings were completely destroyed and show me where hundreds of innocent bystanders were beaten or killed and I’ll admit I’m wrong.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It was about a hypothetical question. My comments weren’t about the system or anything else, just my opinion on a hypothetical question.
    That being said, I don’t know how anyone can believe yesterday’s riot was worse than the months of BLM riots. BLM riots lasted for months across the nation, many innocent bystanders were beaten and hospitalized. Some killed. Cops were targeted and beaten and shot. Hundreds of buildings destroyed. And it was allowed to happen. In many cases local officials gave permission for it to happen by openly stating they were not going to prosecute and allow room to demonstrate. Seems like I’m about the only one here who thinks the months of violence was worse than the few hours yesterday. By every measure it was worse. Yesterday was already over before I had a chance to come home and comment. We had multiple active threads on BLM riots.
    That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a terrible thing or that there doesn’t need to be changed in police practices. It just means riots that last for months across the entire country where hundreds are beaten and include several deaths and hundreds of buildings burned down is worse then one single riot that lasts a few hours and they break a few windows and enter a building and yell at people and the only serious injury and death that I’m aware of are those who participated in the riot. Show me where hundreds of buildings were completely destroyed and show me where hundreds of innocent bystanders were beaten or killed and I’ll admit I’m wrong.
    What made it worse isn't the scale of what happened, it was the intent. The BLM protestors were acting out against racist events. The rioters yesterday deliberately disrupted the operation of an in session Congress with the goal of stopping their Constitutional mandated certifying of election results. They took it upon themselves to illegally attempt to force with violence, the abandonment of the sworn duty of the Congressmen and women.   
    What happened yesterday was literal sedition incited by the lame duck POTUS. 

This isn't complicated, and no, it doesn't compare to anything that happened in 2020 no matter how much you want it to. 

Wake the f up. 
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

What made it worse isn't the scale of what happened, it was the intent. The BLM protestors were acting out against racist events. The rioters yesterday deliberately disrupted the operation of an in session Congress with the goal of stopping their Constitutional mandated certifying of election results. They took it upon themselves to illegally attempt to force with violence, the abandonment of the sworn duty of the Congressmen and women.   
    Thanks for an actual response instead of just name calling to disagree. But for me intent and side doesn’t matter when you beat and kill innocent people and burn down city blocks. Once you cross that line it doesn’t matter what your cause is to me.

This thread just reinforces the mentality of “it’s okay to riot, destroy and kill if I agree with you. But if I don’t, you better shut up.”

it is pathetic how Trump handled this. I never said otherwise.
    Post edited by mace1229 on

This isn't complicated, and no, it doesn't compare to anything that happened in 2020 no matter how much you want it to. 

Wake the f up. 

This.  It shows how much people cannot even begin to understand the issue.  Even on the silly message forum of a decidedly liberal rock band.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Wake the f up. 
    You are absolutely correct.

These were "right wing extremists" encouraged by the so-called president to do what they did.
    It was an insurrection.
    It was sedition.
    And he encouraged it.
    In June he was ready to call in the military to quell the riots.
    Yesterday he encouraged the rioting.
    He did nothing to quell the idiotic behavior.
    There was nothing done by anyone to stop it until it was too late.

Nothing hypothetical about that.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You’re not wrong but neither are those who found the lack of police from the offset as a clear indicator that it was because they were white. So hypothetically speaking would you agree the police presence would have been dramatically increased prior to the start of the proceedings if it were any group but whites?  
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Thanks for an actual response instead of just name calling to disagree. But for me intent and side doesn’t matter when you beat and kill innocent people and burn down city blocks. Once you cross that line it doesn’t matter what your cause is to me.

This thread just reinforces the mentality of “it’s okay to riot, destroy and kill if I agree with you. But if I don’t, you better shut up.”

Violence and destruction should never be condoned. I do see the mentality you mention being played out. This Summer, a lot of people I work with were saying that the protestors were a threat to the security of the nation and had to be locked up. Yesterday and today, those same people are not just excusing what happened, they are cheering it on. I have pointed out the hypocrisy to a number of them, but it hasn't changed their minds. They are convinced that their cause is righteous, and when people have that mentality, often logic goes right out the window.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Intent and side seem to have mattered in the past when it has been police doing the beating and killing of innocent people. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You’re not wrong but neither are those who found the lack of police from the offset as a clear indicator that it was because they were white. So hypothetically speaking would you agree the police presence would have been dramatically increased prior to the start of the proceedings if it were any group but whites?  
    I wouldn't. This summer we saw mayors, governors and other officials tell police to stand down when bricks and Molotov cocktails were thrown at them. We saw them refuse to press charges on destruction and violence. We saw them give up city block in Seattle to a CHAZ/CHAD concept, we saw them order police precincts be abandoned when they became under attack. There was a point to not allow law enforcement to push back on much of the violence that happened over the course of 3 or 4 months this summer. Why would I think that would suddenly change just because its January now?
    Maybe it would, but I have no reason or evidence to believe so.
    I'm talking about widespread protests and violence, there were still singular incidents that involved individuals, I'm not saying any of that didn't happen. But on a wide spread scale, BLM protestors, or those protesting under the BLM slogan, were pretty much allowed to get away with a lot more than what happened yesterday for months. 
    There were some examples over the summer with larger police presence. But in many cases, it was much less than last night. Police completely evacuated parts of cities and allowed complete destruction and looting. There were imagines of small police units in front of a mall just watching the looting going on because they were told to stand down. Last night 2 people were shot and 1 was killed, for being unarmed and breaking and entering through a window. That never came close to happening this summer. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I wouldn't. This summer we saw mayors, governors and other officials tell police to stand down when bricks and Molotov cocktails were thrown at them. We saw them refuse to press charges on destruction and violence. We saw them give up city block in Seattle to a CHAZ/CHAD concept, we saw them order police precincts be abandoned when they became under attack. There was a point to not allow law enforcement to push back on much of the violence that happened over the course of 3 or 4 months this summer. Why would I think that would suddenly change just because its January now?
    I'm talking about widespread protests and violence, there were still singular incidents that involved individuals, I'm not saying any of that didn't happen. But on a wide spread scale, BLM protestors, or those protesting under the BLM slogan, were pretty much allowed to get away with a lot more than what happened yesterday for months. 
    There were some examples over the summer with larger police presence. But in many cases, it was much less than last night. Police completely evacuated parts of cities and allowed complete destruction and looting. There were imagines of small police units in front of a mall just watching the looting going on because they were told to stand down. Last night 2 people were shot and 1 was killed, for being unarmed and breaking and entering through a window. That never came close to happening this summer. 
    You're embarrassing yourself at this point. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I can't even bring myself to respond. It's a different reality. That's why domestic terrorism and treason like yesterday is happening.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You're embarrassing yourself at this point. 
    I agree. The mental gymnastics is breathtaking.
    tbergs said:
    I can't even bring myself to respond. It's a different reality. That's why domestic terrorism and treason like yesterday is happening.
    Different reality indeed... good grief.