SNOWFLAKE?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    meh, we're all snowflakes from time to time, I would imagine. 
    Shut up snowflake...

Oh man I was hoping for the laughing emoji... Failed on that one...
    LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• A snowflake  melts easy. Thats where it comes from surely. So anything thats too much for them they melt. Soft. As it may have been called before is my take on it. Easily offended maybe. I think  most people are like this at some point about  some subjects .  But i guess the internet world over took me years ago. 
    Be kind is my goal. If we all had that as a goal . It would be a nice place.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Snowflakes:  No two are alike.  Just like you, just like me.  Cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

A snowflake  melts easy. Thats where it comes from surely. So anything thats too much for them they melt. Soft. As it may have been called before is my take on it. Easily offended maybe. I think  most people are like this at some point about  some subjects .  But i guess the internet world over took me years ago. 
    i think it all started with this image of liberals being outraged and upset about anything and everything, they "melt down" at nothing. along the same lines as being triggered. 

which is somewhat true, because we care. 

conservatives have also shown their own snowflakiness however. they just get triggered by different, some might say less important things. 

like the possibility of not being able to own a tank for personal use. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• A lot meltdowns on the forum too haha .

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    Tell is more, Mr. Rogers :how_interesting:

:lol:

Of course, be kind as possible. Also, being offended isn’t the worst thing in the world. 
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Of course, be kind as possible. Also, being offended isn’t the worst thing in the world. 
    i see being offended as one of two things: showing our morals or our ignorance. either we teach others or ourselves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

i see being offended as one of two things: showing our morals or our ignorance. either we teach others or ourselves. 
    It also demonstrates over-sensitivity. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    I always thought the snowflake thing was about how no two are alike, ie, “we’re special and want to be treated as such.”
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • I think in truth  it means nothing 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Gotta love that Mr. Rogers!  (And Hanks did a fine job portraying him!)

I think if anything I get embarrassed more often than offended.  Try as I might to minimize them, I know my flaws and weaknesses and I'm too fucking old to be easily offended.   :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

not necessarily. sure, some people who get offended at everything are overly sensitive, but not all situations can be categorized as that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

not necessarily. sure, some people who get offended at everything are overly sensitive, but not all situations can be categorized as that. 
    Never claimed it as such. I’m talking about reacting with common sense (or just some perspective) vs. whining and playing the victim. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    ooookaaaaaay, you guys are missing the point of the thread.....

it isnt a debate about what is or isnt, its origins etc...

post the stories about the whiney ass losers.... .
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Pffft. You know that thread de-evolution is par for the course here :lol:
    hedonist said:
    mickeyrat said:

Pffft. You know that thread de-evolution is par for the course here :lol:

It wouldn't be AMT with swerving in the lanes!

mickeyrat said:

Here's one for ya:

Donald Trump quit your whining - CNN

• A snowflake  melts easy. Thats where it comes from surely. So anything thats too much for them they melt. Soft. As it may have been called before is my take on it. Easily offended maybe. I think  most people are like this at some point about  some subjects .  But i guess the internet world over took me years ago. 
    Rob you are one of my favorite people in life.  Always being a good person.  I am so glad that we became friends!
    Rob you are one of my favorite people in life.  Always being a good person.  I am so glad that we became friends!
    Thats a really nice thing to say. On that note . One day i hope we  can meet up. Would have crossed paths this cancelled tour but not to be yet. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• I think you have to take it in geist.  The same way for the past four years every republican had been called a fascist or a nazi or whatever.  
    I think you have to take it in geist.  The same way for the past four years every republican had been called a fascist or a nazi or whatever.  

geist is German for ghost. 

Ghost?  Did someone say, Ghost?

• brianlux said:

Exactly.
    I've had people tell me, "Don't get you panties in a knot."  Well, the truth is, I've never worn panties.  I did wear one of my wife's dresses once though.  Now that might have been cause to call me a snowflake.  Or just plain ugly

So with that in mind, I give you Snowflakes:
    Frank Zappa  The Mothers of Invention - Take your clothes off when you  dance 1968 mix - YouTube

Wouldn’t you attribute that more to a saying that’s been around for a long time, something that’s isn’t literal?  Correct me if I’m wrong, but now we are entering the era of sayings that have been around forever but are just now being called offensive.  I agree, it can be offensive, but let’s not pretend it wasn’t common to saying, and there is no malice behind it.  There should be a buffer to let people know that something is now offensive.  And as we move towards this direction, will we ever address the N word?  Division stems from one group that can while another group can’t.  I’m just curious where you see the line, where the line should be, and what to do about common vocular that does harm when there is no malice behind it.
    brianlux said:

Exactly.
    I've had people tell me, "Don't get you panties in a knot."  Well, the truth is, I've never worn panties.  I did wear one of my wife's dresses once though.  Now that might have been cause to call me a snowflake.  Or just plain ugly

Frank Zappa  The Mothers of Invention - Take your clothes off when you  dance 1968 mix - YouTube

Wouldn’t you attribute that more to a saying that’s been around for a long time, something that’s isn’t literal?  Correct me if I’m wrong, but now we are entering the era of sayings that have been around forever but are just now being called offensive.  I agree, it can be offensive, but let’s not pretend it wasn’t common to saying, and there is no malice behind it.  There should be a buffer to let people know that something is now offensive.  And as we move towards this direction, will we ever address the N word?  Division stems from one group that can while another group can’t.  I’m just curious where you see the line, where the line should be, and what to do about common vocular that does harm when there is no malice behind it.

Lines?  I don't know lines, do lines, or draw within or without lines.  I only know what makes sense and go with that.

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

Lines?  I don't know lines, do lines, or draw within or without lines.  I only know what makes sense and go with that.
    What makes sense then? No lines on the table, open platform for you to elaborate and explain your position.  
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

What makes sense then? No lines on the table, open platform for you to elaborate and explain your position.  

Bottom line, it makes sense to not call people names.  I'm not big on labels either. Fir example, what is conservative?  What is liberal?  How can one term describe a continuum? 

As for your N word speculation, that's old news.  There is no longer any need to address that term.  I mean, you may, of course, but why?

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

Bottom line, it makes sense to not call people names.  I'm not big on labels either. Fir example, what is conservative?  What is liberal?  How can one term describe a continuum? 

As for your N word speculation, that's old news.  There is no longer any need to address that term.  I mean, you may, of course, but why?
    You have successfully said nothing.  I definitely think the N word needs to be addressed.  I has become mainstream word popularized in music that is accessible to all and in movies that make it equally accessible, but yet only certain people can say it.  Why is that?  Don't tell me about the history, but yet now when certain people use it its uplifting.  What about a 10 year today that just listens to pop-culture, are they now supposed to be resounded with the word, but because of their skin color they cant use it?  You are better than a lame duck answer Mr Blux.
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

You have successfully said nothing.  I definitely think the N word needs to be addressed.  I has become mainstream word popularized in music that is accessible to all and in movies that make it equally accessible, but yet only certain people can say it.  Why is that?  Don't tell me about the history, but yet now when certain people use it its uplifting.  What about a 10 year today that just listens to pop-culture, are they now supposed to be resounded with the word, but because of their skin color they cant use it?  You are better than a lame duck answer Mr Blux.
    If you don't know lines, you are blinder than the person you criticize.  Lines are all around us, pretending they don't exist does more damage to any ideology you subscribe to and would like to show than pretending they don't exist.  
    edited November 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

And for my next magic trick...

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

But who decides when it is calling names?  Your ideology and philosophy is nice, but it doesn't have any substance.  Okay, and more importantly, did you ever subscribe to calling or approving in the last four years Trump supporters Nazis?  Nazi carries a very nasty history behind it.  What determines a good label or a bad one, and how do we control that?  Sorry, accidentally hit enter earlier and it posted a half thought.
  • And I honestly don't see what was offensive about the Rocky and Bullwinkle show link you posted.  
    edited November 2020
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.

But who decides when it is calling names?  Your ideology and philosophy is nice, but it doesn't have any substance.  Okay, and more importantly, did you ever subscribe to calling or approving in the last four years Trump supporters Nazis?  Nazi carries a very nasty history behind it.  What determines a good label or a bad one, and how do we control that?  Sorry, accidentally hit enter earlier and it posted a half thought.

Oh, wait!  So I did say something.  Well then...

Who decides when it is name calling? 
    It's intuitive.  You know.  I know.

What ideology and philosophy? 
    If I have either, there is no name for either so I'm not sure what you mean.

Did I ever, in the last four years [remember to separate prepositional phrases], subscribe to calling or approve of calling  Trump supporters Nazi's? 
    No.

What controls a good label or a bad one, and how do we control that? 
    I don't think there is such a thing as a "good label" or a "bad label", I'm just not a big fan of using them.  I don't see how you can pigeonhole a person with one word.  For example, I don't refer to myself as "conservative" or "liberal".  I would tend to say something like:

"I am generally more liberal than conservative, but in some ways I am also conservative.  And I would not refer to myself as being "moderate" because I see that term as implying one who is not committed, who lacks will and spirit." 

See what I mean?  How would you label that?

And I have no idea how anyone would control all that.  I guess they don't.