The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited September 2020
    dignin said:

Joe Rogan spread dangerous misinformation about fires. Now he says he's sorry

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/media/joe-rogan-apologizes/index.html
    Yeah this one was pretty bad.  My pro trump coworker was spouting the false antifa arsonist narrative the other day.  And to hear Joe saying that shit is awful...it’s one thing to let a looney tune talk some shit it’s another thing to regurgitate it as fact when you should know better
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if you watch his apology video, he is really hard on himself, and he has clearly learned his lesson. everyone makes mistakes. he owned up to it, and he seems to have learned from it. what more can you ask?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

if you watch his apology video, he is really hard on himself, and he has clearly learned his lesson. everyone makes mistakes. he owned up to it, and he seems to have learned from it. what more can you ask?
    Lol Americans we will apologize until w3 are blue in the face and do it all over again
    Scio me nihil scire

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    If others’ apologies are accepted, I’m not sure why this would be different.

At least what I saw appeared to be sincere. 
    static111 said:
    Lol Americans we will apologize until w3 are blue in the face and do it all over again
    honestly i think he will learn from it. he is constantly pushing himself phyiscally, mentally, emotionally...i don't see how this would be any different. the guy literally gets off on improving himself. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

I'm one of the people who have had "weird conversations" with him about Gavin. Explained who the ProudBoys were, told him Gavin sent a thug to my home to try to scare/silence me... yet this is the message he keeps pushing.

It's not just about Gavin, though. GM is just one of many toxic people who Rogan introduces his massive audience to and whose image he softens, whether intentional or not. Listen to the New York Times' excellent Rabbit Hole podcast for more on that.

https://www.nytimes.com/column/rabbit-hole
  • YOU ARE NOT GIVING ENOUGH CONTEXT!

Do not tty to bring down my dear Joe Rogan!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    YOU ARE NOT GIVING ENOUGH CONTEXT!

yeah, cuz no one anywhere ever has posted a two second clip of someone saying something only to find out later their very next statement  is a "...but now, I think...." to manipulate people into thinking a certain way. 

never. 

if that 2 second clip truly is the meat of his opinion on gavin mcinnis, then no, that's obviously indefensible. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

yeah, cuz no one anywhere ever has posted a two second clip of someone saying something only to find out later their very next statement  is a "...but now, I think...." to manipulate people into thinking a certain way. 

never. 

if that 2 second clip truly is the meat of his opinion on gavin mcinnis, then no, that's obviously indefensible. 

https://youtu.be/kRgQvytwWgA
    dignin said:

never. 

yikes. rogan is doing some crazy mental gymnastics here to try to defend the guy. his utter distaste for anything he deems "too progressive" or "woke" (fuck I hate that word) makes him blind to who these people actually are. ben shapiro, whom he also mentioned, is another one. jordan peterson. 

however, i am still able to separate that from the entertainment portion of his show that i like. i honestly am conflicted about the whole "boycott" movement. i had this conversation with a buddy of mine about louis ck. after his hiatus following the revelations of his perversion and sexual deviancy, he did a residency at a small comedy club here. he went. he had reservations about it, but he still went. i probably would have too had it not sold out in nano-seconds. 

i think it's an interesting conversation to have, though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I wish he'd get better guests (or at least guests that interest me personally), because he's pretty good interviewer. But I don't care about MMA, conspiracy theories, and while some of the comedians he has on are interesting (Bill Burr for example), Rogan himself is such a hack comedian (in my opinion anyway) that hearing him talk comedy doesn't appeal to me. 

The Bernie Sanders interview was good. I think Andrew Yang would be a good guest too because I'd like to hear him in a long-form format. But overall, I can't believe Spotify gave this guy so much money. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I wish he'd get better guests (or at least guests that interest me personally), because he's pretty good interviewer. But I don't care about MMA, conspiracy theories, and while some of the comedians he has on are interesting (Bill Burr for example), Rogan himself is such a hack comedian (in my opinion anyway) that hearing him talk comedy doesn't appeal to me. 

The Bernie Sanders interview was good. I think Andrew Yang would be a good guest too because I'd like to hear him in a long-form format. But overall, I can't believe Spotify gave this guy so much money. 
    you're right about his comedy. we went to see him in vegas. we were there, he was there, so why not (same weekend as McGregor vs Aldo). live in person he was pretty funny, but the rest of his stuff on netflix i don't even find myself laughing at. and don't get me started on joey diaz, who opened for him. i felt embarrassed for him while watching him. 

i don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but i find learning about what people actually believe to be mildly entertaining myself. 

i watched andrew yang on ben shapiro. i was surprised yang did that. shapiro is such a sack of shit. but he lightened himself for that interview, much like he did on rogan. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I wish he'd get better guests (or at least guests that interest me personally), because he's pretty good interviewer. But I don't care about MMA, conspiracy theories, and while some of the comedians he has on are interesting (Bill Burr for example), Rogan himself is such a hack comedian (in my opinion anyway) that hearing him talk comedy doesn't appeal to me. 

you're right about his comedy. we went to see him in vegas. we were there, he was there, so why not (same weekend as McGregor vs Aldo). live in person he was pretty funny, but the rest of his stuff on netflix i don't even find myself laughing at. and don't get me started on joey diaz, who opened for him. i felt embarrassed for him while watching him. 

i don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but i find learning about what people actually believe to be mildly entertaining myself. 

i watched andrew yang on ben shapiro. i was surprised yang did that. shapiro is such a sack of shit. but he lightened himself for that interview, much like he did on rogan. 
    I was bored and saw Rogan's special trending on Netflix one day. Threw it on, and lasted about five minutes. 

Yeah that's what I like about Yang. He's not just a "preach to the choir" type of guy. 

I recently listened to Yang on a wrestling podcast. Seems like a strange venue, but apparently Vince McMahon has ordered that the wrestlers can't do side-business deals like Cameo. Yang, like many have said over the years, feels WWE is full of shit on many levels because the wrestlers are supposedly independent contractors (hence, they're not employees who get the usual benefits an employee does, and they have no union), yet he tries to control them like employees. Yang was pretty adamant that if he's a part of the Biden administration, that he'll do something about WWE's labor practices. He also said if he's not part of the administration, he'll contact the secretary of labor to do something. Good interview. Only about a twenty minutes long, but interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1WhXBxrUw

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited September 2020
    I wish he'd get better guests (or at least guests that interest me personally), because he's pretty good interviewer. But I don't care about MMA, conspiracy theories, and while some of the comedians he has on are interesting (Bill Burr for example), Rogan himself is such a hack comedian (in my opinion anyway) that hearing him talk comedy doesn't appeal to me. 

I was bored and saw Rogan's special trending on Netflix one day. Threw it on, and lasted about five minutes. 

Yeah that's what I like about Yang. He's not just a "preach to the choir" type of guy. 

I recently listened to Yang on a wrestling podcast. Seems like a strange venue, but apparently Vince McMahon has ordered that the wrestlers can't do side-business deals like Cameo. Yang, like many have said over the years, feels WWE is full of shit on many levels because the wrestlers are supposedly independent contractors (hence, they're not employees who get the usual benefits an employee does, and they have no union), yet he tries to control them like employees. Yang was pretty adamant that if he's a part of the Biden administration, that he'll do something about WWE's labor practices. He also said if he's not part of the administration, he'll contact the secretary of labor to do something. Good interview. Only about a twenty minutes long, but interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1WhXBxrUw

he went into detail about that on shapiro as well. 

vince mcmahon has and always will be a complete fucking asshole. he's nothing more than a circus owner who treats his talent like shit. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignin said:

never. 

lol

dignin said:

never. 

The proud Boys= vegans. sorry no.  I only watched Sanders, NDT, Steven Tyler and Musk...Don't really listen to this other stuff.  Bending over backwards to justify white supremacy...not my idea of a good platform..."He was using words poorly"...I'd be worried about deplatforming if i was this ignorant as well
    Scio me nihil scire

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    I listened to the first 40 minutes or so of #920 on my way home last night, which I believe was the last time he had Mcinnes on... YIKES
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Glad to say I’ve never listened to this guys Pod cast but then again I don’t listen to any podcasts lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • however, i am still able to separate that from the entertainment portion of his show that i like.
    yikes. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    however, i am still able to separate that from the entertainment portion of his show that i like.
    yikes. 
    yeah, when smart, open minded people get new information, it can change their mind on a topic. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited October 2020

I listened to this the other day while leaf-blowing based on your recommendation and I enjoyed it. Shapiro isn't bad in a long-form interview format like this. It's when he's by himself ranting that he's insufferable. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

I listened to this the other day while leaf-blowing based on your recommendation and I enjoyed it. Shapiro isn't bad in a long-form interview format like this. It's when he's by himself ranting that he's insufferable. 
    i think he's smart enough to know his audience and potential audience, and the difference and how he can behave accordingly. when he's speaking to a group of ultra-conservative college students, he's a bigotted POS. But he knows he has to tone it down for Andrew Yang fans. That is part of the issue with some Rogan guests. They keep it just light enough not to be labelled by the masses, maybe getting them to think "hmmm....he kind of has a point" and getting them to go down the rabbit hole. 

I can see where people think what Rogan does is dangerous based on that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so Joe really has come full circle with covid. he started with "it's just the flu" to "masks are for pussies" to now, where his producer, Jamie, tested positive, to shutting down production of his podcasts completely. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• so Joe really has come full circle with covid. he started with "it's just the flu" to "masks are for pussies" to now, where his producer, Jamie, tested positive, to shutting down production of his podcasts completely. 
    So, what does that tell you about him.
  • however, i am still able to separate that from the entertainment portion of his show that i like.
    yikes. 
    yeah, when smart, open minded people get new information, it can change their mind on a topic. 
    I fail to see how open-mindness would make someone listen to Joe Rogan (unless Bill Burr is on).
    so Joe really has come full circle with covid. he started with "it's just the flu" to "masks are for pussies" to now, where his producer, Jamie, tested positive, to shutting down production of his podcasts completely. 
    So, what does that tell you about him.
    it tells me a few things:

-he's like a large segment of the global population that went through the same evolution on this topic; from "it's just a flu" to "holy fuck". 
    -he's willing to change his opinion on something based on new information and listening to the experts
    -he cares about the people around him (his staff) to shut things down when it got too close to home. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2020
    however, i am still able to separate that from the entertainment portion of his show that i like.
    yikes. 
    I fail to see how open-mindness would make someone listen to Joe Rogan (unless Bill Burr is on).
    i am open minded. to claim that everyone who listens to him is close minded is actually closed minded in itself (or, as an example, saying everyone who isn't vegan is a POS, for instance). i can smell his bullshit and and filter it out accordingly. do all people? of course not. but you wouldn't have neuroscientists and astrophysicists going on his show if they thought the average listener was a roid monkey gym rat. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    If anyone can make it ten minutes straight listening to Kanye on today's podcast, you are better than I. It's just awful. Joe just lets him ramble endlessly. I watched out of morbid curiosity. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    If anyone can make it ten minutes straight listening to Kanye on today's podcast, you are better than I. It's just awful. Joe just lets him ramble endlessly. I watched out of morbid curiosity. 
    The recent Maynard interview was good. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The recent Maynard interview was good. 
    “Why didn’t you tell me Maynard was just on Rogan?” - my slightly-miffed husband to me :lol:

We watched last night. Good stuff.