Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    playing a show in Halifax, @demetrios
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Kijiji, StubHub ban reselling of Gord Downie tickets in Halifax
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/kijiji-stubhub-ban-gord-downie-tickets-1.3857219

Kijiji, StubHub ban reselling of Gord Downie tickets in Halifax
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/kijiji-stubhub-ban-gord-downie-tickets-1.3857219

:clap:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gord keeps on giving and it's flowering. his greatest legacy. BRAVO GORD BRAVO
    http://www.cp24.com/entertainment-news/celebrity-news/hip-frontman-downie-offers-support-for-reconciliation-project-1.3182364
    Michael MacDonald, The Canadian Press
    Published Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:26PM EST

HALIFAX -- Tragically Hip frontman Gord Downie has formed a partnership with a prominent aboriginal leader to encourage corporate Canada to do more to promote dialogue and reconciliation with aboriginal people.

The Legacy Room initiative, announced Tuesday in Halifax, is the brainchild of Assembly of First Nations regional Chief Morley Googoo, who represents Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Mi'kmaq leader's plan is to encourage companies, particularly those in the hospitality sector, to designate special rooms where aboriginal issues can be discussed and reconciliation can become a reality.
    Related Stories

"In those rooms, those stories need to continue to be told," Googoo told a news conference outside the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium, where Downie was later scheduled to perform as part of his "Secret Path" solo project.

The tour honours 12-year-old Chanie Wenjack, who died in 1966 after running away from a residential school near Kenora, Ont. Proceeds from the "Secret Path" album and graphic novel will be donated to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation at the University of Manitoba.

"Reconciliation comes in many forms," said Googoo, who is from the Waycobah First Nation in Cape Breton. "And much of corporate Canada does not know what its part is. The first thing is to continue the dialogue. We must continue to hear about the two amazing legacies (of Wenjack and Downie)."

After Googoo spoke, one of Wenjack's sisters, Pearl, stepped to the microphone, and in a calm, quiet voice made it clear that it was important to her family to make sure every Canadian learned about her brother's heartbreaking story, even though it has been 50 years since he died.

"I'm here to tell you all that it's not just a story," she said. "It did happen. And I'm glad that people the world over have come to listen to our story ... Chief (Googoo) has great plans. Something I never dreamed about."

Pearl Wenjack, who lives in the remote village of Ogoki Post in the Northern Ontario bush, said she had wanted to tell her brother's story on a national stage for many years, but the wait was worth it.

"The Creator's timing is always the best timing. That's his 50 years. That's not my 50 years. I would have loved to do this before, but I've accepted the 50 years because it's the right time. It's the Creator that decides these things."

Downie's older brother Mike said Googoo's idea is sure to take root and grow.

"I believe that it's going to roll out across the country," he said. "It's like a perfect vector to go into different communities, let individuals come on board the program and then fill up these legacy rooms and let this story be told."

One restaurant in Halifax, the Barrington Steak House and Oyster Bar, has already committed to setting up a Legacy Room with a special plaque. Googoo said he hopes to have 600 more businesses signed up within the next six months.

Companies that sign on will be expected to make annual contributions -- through donations or fundraising -- to the Gord Downie and Chanie Wenjack Fund, which was set up after the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada issued its final report in December, documenting the history and legacy of Canada's residential school system

Googoo said his initiative also includes encouraging corporate Canada to adopt one of the commission's 94 "calls to action." In particular, No. 92 calls on corporate enterprises to adopt the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The commission said companies should commit to obtaining consent from indigenous peoples before proceeding with economic development projects, and provide education for management and staff on the history of Aboriginal Peoples.

Mike Downie has said the Secret Path project has kept his brother very busy, which has helped him deal with a rare and incurable form of brain cancer.

"It's such an enormous national tragedy that we knew nothing about until four years ago," he said. "And right from Day 1 we were so taken with Chanie's simple story of trying to get home ... We decided we had to try to find a way to tell the story."

The concert in Halifax marks only the third time Downie has committed to perform the album. Concerts last month in Ottawa and Toronto marked the 50th anniversary of Wenjack's death.

Downie's brother, a documentary filmmaker, said he introduced the musician to Chanie's story though a 1967 Maclean's story by Ian Adams.

The "Secret Path" project started with a collection of poems, and Gord Downie's 10-track album was announced just weeks after a Tragically Hip concert in Kingston, Ont., capped the band's surprise summer tour.
  • thanks for posting that link hugh. a very moving tribute to a hero

“Soon, in a few days, a couple of weeks, there’s 150 years that Canada wants to celebrate, and I will personally then celebrate the birth of our country, celebrate the next 150 years. “It will take 150 years or seven generations to heal the wound of the residential school.
    “To become a country, that can truly call ourselves Canada, it means we must become one, we must walk down a path of reconciliation for now on. Together, and forever. This is the first day of forever, the greatest day of my life, the greatest day of all of our lives. Thank you.”
  • RIP GD
    i wish this year would go away
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited October 2017
    Post edited by dignin on
    :cry:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

STATEMENT

October 18, 2017

Last night Gord quietly passed away with his beloved children and family close by.

Gord knew this day was coming – his response was to spend this precious time as he always had – making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips.

Gord said he had lived many lives. As a musician, he lived “the life” for over 30 years, lucky to do most of it with his high school buddies. At home, he worked just as tirelessly at being a good father, son, brother, husband and friend. No one worked harder on every part of their life than Gord. No one.

We would like to thank all the kind folks at KGH and Sunnybrook, Gord’s bandmates, management team, friends and fans. Thank you for all the help and support over the past two years.

Thank you everyone for all the respect, admiration and love you have given Gord throughout the years – those tender offerings touched his heart and he takes them with him now as he walks among the stars.

Love you forever Gord.

The Downie Family

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    The Secret Path is a really wonderful album to hear today (since it was released, I have really come to love it. I liked it right away, but it was a fairly slow walk towards loving it for me. Glad I moved in that direction, especially right now).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Secret Path In Concert is on Sunday oct 22 on CBC. also live streamed on their website. 

put on this vinyl, flipped through the book, while sipping some Fully Completely red wine last night. it was therapeutic. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Gord Downie's final album, Away Is Mine, to be released October 17, 2020

https://gorddownie.com/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

really strange. trying to pre-order the vinyl and it says it can't be shipped to me. i'm in a major canadian city.  :s
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    First thing i did when I woke up this morning was pre-order the vinyl and CD. I didn't have any issues ordering. Perhaps if you're in an apartment or something with an unusual number, it might not let you process in the checkout.
    i'm in a house, and i can order other items on the site, just not vinyl. maybe it's too expensive? i tried the set of 6 buttons, which are $15. add $13.90 shipping on top of that, jesus murphy. no wonder there's no shipping option for vinyl to me. i'll just hope it's available in my local shop. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i wanted to buy all the rest of his catalogue on vinyl too before it eventually sells out. no dice. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

they responded to my message on instagram it will be fixed later today. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

they finally fixed it and ordered all of gord's solo vinyl (with the exception of his collab with The Sadies-that one's sold out). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    i'm in a house, and i can order other items on the site, just not vinyl. maybe it's too expensive? i tried the set of 6 buttons, which are $15. add $13.90 shipping on top of that, jesus murphy. no wonder there's no shipping option for vinyl to me. i'll just hope it's available in my local shop. 
    I think the vinyl is going retail.  I saw it on Amazon Canada today for about $45.  $15 more expensive than buying it directly, but you don't have to pay shipping, so it's almost a wash:

listening to some tracks from his new solo record now. it's so weird to have "new" gord downie. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388

I'm holding out until I get the records. Says they are shipping next week so hopefully by next weekend???

i was going to as well. then they released two more tracks this morning, so i couldn't help myself. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Reading back on this thread and the secret path shows. I guess I forgot to share my little story here.
    Somehow, I was able to score 2 tickets to Gords show in Ottawa at the NAC. Me and a buddy went.
    after it was over there was a huge backlog of people trying to exit the building. I looked across the room and found another, what looked to be exit door, and we headed for it. 2 people followed behind us. We went through realizing now we are in part of the backstage section of the building. Those 2 people following behind us were also confused on how to get out and they also turned out to be Gord Sinclair (bass player for the hip) and his wife. So there we are with Gord after a very special show trying to exit this maze we found ourselves in. Unreal, hilarious events that happen, right?
    Did you talk to gord sinclair?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Ya we were chatting and conspiring on how to get the hell out of the building. It was an emotional and different show (to say the least) and I didn’t want to bring up the hip or anything so I didn’t even let on that I knew who he was. 
    Ya we were chatting and conspiring on how to get the hell out of the building. It was an emotional and different show (to say the least) and I didn’t want to bring up the hip or anything so I didn’t even let on that I knew who he was. 
    that's very big of you
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388

Just got my shipping notification on the new GD record :)

Also if anyone needs it Fully Completely vinyl is pretty cheap on Amazon Canada today.

• BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    I ordered the cd through Amazon in the U.S. and I just got a delivery update that says it’ll arrive on November 20th???