Options

Gigaton is a masterpiece!

12346»

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Yeah, I have to agree that THEBIBLEISTEN's opinion is rendered moot by listing Ten as #4 and not having Yield anywhere on his list. Hell, those are the two best albums Pearl Jam has ever made! Crazy! 
    I amended my list.  I have no idea why I didn’t list yield initially.  Unforgivable.  Ten is a great album, but IN the last 29 years my tastes have come to prefer other albums over Ten.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I wish I could get on board with everybody.  I think it is a great album especially when you compare it to popular releases by others in the last few years.  I think Dance of the Clairvoyants got my hopes up that the whole album was going to be very experimental.  As far as PJ records go it doesn't stack up for me.  For clarity here is how I feel about album ranking today

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

Still Gigaton is going to go down as one of the best releases by anybody in 2020,

You don’t even have Yield in here, by that standard your ranking is disqualified. Ameature 
    Gigaton blows LB out of the water
    Nothing on Gigaton comes close to Getaway, infallible, pendulum and sleeping by myself 
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,959
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    I wish I could get on board with everybody.  I think it is a great album especially when you compare it to popular releases by others in the last few years.  I think Dance of the Clairvoyants got my hopes up that the whole album was going to be very experimental.  As far as PJ records go it doesn't stack up for me.  For clarity here is how I feel about album ranking today

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

Still Gigaton is going to go down as one of the best releases by anybody in 2020,

You don’t even have Yield in here, by that standard your ranking is disqualified. Ameature 
    Nothing on Gigaton comes close to Getaway, infallible, pendulum and sleeping by myself 
    I know music is subjective but you'd be hard pressed to find many people agreeing that Gigaton offers nothing better than the band version of Sleeping by Myself. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    tino_11 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

1. No Code
    2. VS
    3. Binaural
    4.Ten
    5. Vitalogy
    6.Avocado 
    7.Riot Act
    8.Lightning Bolt
    9.Backspacer
    10.Gigaton

I know music is subjective but you'd be hard pressed to find many people agreeing that Gigaton offers nothing better than the band version of Sleeping by Myself. 
    There aren’t 4 songs on Gigaton that I find preferable to t he 4 songs I listed from LB
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,171
    I gave Gigaton another spin yesterday.

I love how it starts, the first half of the album has grown on me immensely.  The back half I seem to come and go on the different tracks.  I like some, but others haven't grown on me.  If you were to ask me to rate PJ albums best to worst.

1. Ten
    1. Yield
    1. No Code
    1. Vs
    1. Vitalogy
    6. Avacodo
    7. Binaural
    7. Riot Act
    9. Backspacer
    10. Gigaton
    11.  Lightning Bolt

Those ties are on purpose.  If you put a gun to my head I'm not sure I could choose between the first 5 albums.  I love them all.

I'm in a similar boat with Binaural and Riot Act.  I like both those albums the same.

In 6 months Gigaton has usurped lightning bolt.   I wonder where it'll settle on my top 10 as time passes on.

It's not a bad album.  It's just that I really like the older ones, and have a huge history with them.

I'll always choose Indian curry over Thai curry, but that doesn't mean I don't like Thai curry, it means that I really like Indian food :)
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    mcgruff10 said:
    I still think gigaton is their best since yield.  This album is gonna rock live!!!
    Agreed. Just listened to it again for the first time in a couple of weeks - it really is so solid. Only complaint is that it slows down and gets a tad too long toward the end but I'm nit picking. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I still think gigaton is their best since yield.  This album is gonna rock live!!!
    Agreed. Just listened to it again for the first time in a couple of weeks - it really is so solid. Only complaint is that it slows down and gets a tad too long toward the end but I'm nit picking. 
    I don't think that is a nitpick. The album is weirdly sequenced. 

Maybe it makes more sense on the vinyl.. stacking all the slow songs at the end...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ten is best. It's perfection. Better than any other album these ears have ever heard. Enough said. 
  • Options
    Yield is next. It's truly a complete album in seemingly every way. 
  • Options
    And for those Pearl Jam fans who truly have a set of balls, Riot Act is third. That album represents "angry" PJ as well or better than any other. Love it! 
  • Options
    Peace ✌️ out. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    Enjoyable album... but masterpiece is stretching it a bit.

Anyone else notice how River Cross is a lot like Memory of a Free Festival by David Bowie? 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Shumway35Shumway35 Milton, Ontario Posts: 326
    And for those Pearl Jam fans who truly have a set of balls, Riot Act is third. That album represents "angry" PJ as well or better than any other. Love it! 
    Riot Act is a great album and is truly underrated 
    2000 - Toronto 
    2005 - St. John's 2
    2006 - Toronto 1 & 2 
    2009 - Toronto 
    2011 - Toronto 1 
    2013 - Pittsburgh,  Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit 
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto 1, Wrigley 1 
    2018 - Wrigley 1 & 2
    2019 - Ohana Festival 
    2022 - Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Nashville
    2023 - St. Paul 1 & 2
  • Options
    Shumway35 said:
    Agree with this completely. Binaural is also grossly underrated.
  • Options
    Shumway35 said:
    I agree riot act is as good as any of the  best ones. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    RIOT ACT IS THE BEES KNEES
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    I agree - both Binaural and Riot Act are two of PJs most underrated (and under-appreciated) albums. Two of my favs personally.

With Gigaton - it’s like the band found a way to take the various sounds of the past 30 years (and really - since No Code/Yield - so 22ish years ago) and made Gigaton. Hard to explain but I hear so many ties to the other records sonically speaking. 

I sat down with my oldest son tonight to “bro” out. We listened to various songs off of every record while hanging. Once we got to Gigaton—I had to play the whole thing. Couldn’t help myself. 

It’s my go-to these days... I absolutely love it. 
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    edited October 2020
    Just a superb album,through start to finish. Haven't like an album by them this much since Yield.
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,802
    Still listening to Gigaton daily.  I can’t fully say it’s my favorite since Yield until I hear them live but it’s trending in that direction. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....????