Fender Amps?

Comments

• yeah the Red Snapper and Dirty Blonde are the pedals I want from Menatone
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
    ive got this one called a fender supersonic112- best amp i have ever used. got it a month ago, love it
    check em out-
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperSonic-112-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480874

http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    seanw1010 wrote:
    ive got this one called a fender supersonic112- best amp i have ever used. got it a month ago, love it
    check em out-
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperSonic-112-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480874

http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/

I've heard of those... I'm gonna check one out when I get the chance. What would be a good distortion pedal for the Twin?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I've heard of those... I'm gonna check one out when I get the chance. What would be a good distortion pedal for the Twin?

i dont kno about distortion but ive always been fond of those ibanez tube screamer pedals- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS808-Vintage-Tube-Screamer-Reissue?sku=150343
    seanw1010 wrote:
    i dont kno about distortion but ive always been fond of those ibanez tube screamer pedals- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS808-Vintage-Tube-Screamer-Reissue?sku=150343

Aren't those more for overdriving a dirty amp? I may pick one up if I buy the 'Evil Twin'.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Aren't those more for overdriving a dirty amp? I may pick one up if I buy the 'Evil Twin'.
    yea,
    even so, it sounds awsome on virtually any amp
    seanw1010 wrote:
    yea,
    even so, it sounds awsome on virtually any amp

After I get the amp... It's gonna be a while:(
  • 200$?!?! holy shit

Sure it's a circuit board reissue but the tube sockets are not soldered to a board, which is a plus. But you can get a 2 12 cabinet to fit that (copying fender identically) Bought a new transformer for it so he could go too a 2 12 set up for $68 or something. Sold the old one for $45. Couple vintage 30's and some new tubes, and that thinking will be screaming!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Sure it's a circuit board reissue but the tube sockets are not soldered to a board, which is a plus. But you can get a 2 12 cabinet to fit that (copying fender identically) Bought a new transformer for it so he could go too a 2 12 set up for $68 or something. Sold the old one for $45. Couple vintage 30's and some new tubes, and that thinking will be screaming!!!

That's an amazing deal. I hope it all works out for him, sounds great!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • That's an amazing deal. I hope it all works out for him, sounds great!

Should be super cool. When its done I'll have him make some sound clips
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    sorry for the crazy thread bump.

i am in the market for a smaller fender combo. i am thinking maybe a blues junior, blues deluxe, or a hotrod deluxe. at this point i am looking at used. i don't feel like having to take the time to break in a new amp.

I am looking for something with a good clean that is pedal friendly and friendly with single coils and humbuckers.

i have not played any of these amps, but have listened to a lot of youtube reviews and i seem to like the sound of the blues junior best. 

I am not sold on the idea of a single speaker, as i have always played 2x12 or half stacks. the blues junior seems to sound good with a single speaker, but i read that people always change out the stock speaker to something else, which i do not want to mess with.

any thoughts would be really appreciated.

thanks all!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

i am in the market for a smaller fender combo. i am thinking maybe a blues junior, blues deluxe, or a hotrod deluxe. at this point i am looking at used. i don't feel like having to take the time to break in a new amp.

I am looking for something with a good clean that is pedal friendly and friendly with single coils and humbuckers.

i have not played any of these amps, but have listened to a lot of youtube reviews and i seem to like the sound of the blues junior best. 

I am not sold on the idea of a single speaker, as i have always played 2x12 or half stacks. the blues junior seems to sound good with a single speaker, but i read that people always change out the stock speaker to something else, which i do not want to mess with.

thanks all!!
    Aside from the tube compliment, my biggest issue with the Blues Jr. is that the cabinet is too small for a 12" speaker to really sound right. Low volume is OK, not great, but when you crank it up they sound box-y and the dispersion is pretty bad. (Sounds bright and clear directly in front of the amp but one step to the side and it's dark and muffled.)

There are lots of mods out there that can really improve these amps from stock, but you get into Princeton or Deluxe Reverb RI prices pretty quick. 

HRD is a good sounding amp but the drive channel is "love it" or "hate it". Not the best track record for reliability either. The newest ones, (IV) have addressed some common complaints and the reverb is actually usable through a wider range of the knob's travel.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at the Pro Jr., Super Champ X2, Princeton RI or Deluxe Reverb RI. They are all readily available on the used market for reasonable prices but they are very different from one another features-wise. Best to ask yourself if you need things like reverb or multiple channels and narrow it down from there.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

thanks all!!
    Aside from the tube compliment, my biggest issue with the Blues Jr. is that the cabinet is too small for a 12" speaker to really sound right. Low volume is OK, not great, but when you crank it up they sound box-y and the dispersion is pretty bad. (Sounds bright and clear directly in front of the amp but one step to the side and it's dark and muffled.)

There are lots of mods out there that can really improve these amps from stock, but you get into Princeton or Deluxe Reverb RI prices pretty quick. 

HRD is a good sounding amp but the drive channel is "love it" or "hate it". Not the best track record for reliability either. The newest ones, (IV) have addressed some common complaints and the reverb is actually usable through a wider range of the knob's travel.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at the Pro Jr., Super Champ X2, Princeton RI or Deluxe Reverb RI. They are all readily available on the used market for reasonable prices but they are very different from one another features-wise. Best to ask yourself if you need things like reverb or multiple channels and narrow it down from there.
    thanks for the input. i guess the only way to know is to actually play them all. i can't really tell from the videos i have watched.

i know that i do not want to have to do any mods to get something that should sound good out of the box to sound decent. if i wanted to do that why not just look at other brands, or pay a premium for one of the hand wired princetons?

my biggest complaint about the princeton is it is only 12 watts. the BJ is only 15 so that is not that much of a difference in that regard. i watched a video where they compare a stock princeton from this year with a handwired princeton from the same year and the hand wired kills it. it does not even sound like the same amp. i am not looking to spend $800-1000 on a amp i do not plan to gig. i have my matchless and my marshall halfstacks for that. this would mainly be for home use, setup in my office so i can play while i am listening to music.

i have heard that about the HRD drive channel. i have never been a big fan of fender drive sounds, but since i am playing a tele now i am interested in hearing how they sound.

i will check out the ones you suggest. i would like to have on board reverb because i really like the fender clean with the spring reverb sound. i do not need multiple channels i do not think. most of my amps are single channel and i am used to getting clean and dirt with my guitar volume knob.

fender has so many options, and then so many variations of each option, haha. its not like you can go into a store and say "give me a single channel jcm 800", and immediately get exactly what you are looking for, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

i was looking at reissue bassmans (bassmen for plural??) and found out that these are basically primitive marshalls, as marshall basically stole that schematic and used it in their early amps. i already have an early 70s jmp so no need for a bassman. that is kind of how i started on this quest for a fender combo...

a guy in my band has one of these headstrong amps. it is basically a clone of a vintage princeton and it is just an amazing sounding amp. it better be for base price of $2100, haha

http://headstrongamps.com/lil-king-amp

question about the blues junior.

from what i am reading it sounds like the stock speakers are not that great. it looks like the stock speaker from generation to generation is always different. some reviews say to upgrade to a celestion, some say upgrade to an eminence, some say use the fender speaker that the new generations come with. without getting an amp and buying a few different speakers, how do you know? anybody have any experience with a BJR with one speaker vs the others?

edited September 2020

from what i am reading it sounds like the stock speakers are not that great. it looks like the stock speaker from generation to generation is always different. some reviews say to upgrade to a celestion, some say upgrade to an eminence, some say use the fender speaker that the new generations come with. without getting an amp and buying a few different speakers, how do you know? anybody have any experience with a BJR with one speaker vs the others?
    Speaker selection in the Blues Jr. is definitely all over the place. I've played and worked on many of them with different speakers. For me, Celestions sound best in closed back cabs and not with Fender amps. The "Fender Sound" has a mid scoop that is right where Celestions shine. That's what makes them pair with Marshalls so well.

Stock speakers in the Blues Jr. aren't bad but the small baffle in the cabinet limits them.

If you like what you're hearing in videos of the BJ, it might be perfect for your situation. Most of the things I don't care for with them really only present themselves at louder volumes.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    dudeman said:

Speaker selection in the Blues Jr. is definitely all over the place. I've played and worked on many of them with different speakers. For me, Celestions sound best to me in closed back cabs and not with Fender amps. The "Fender Sound" has a mid scoop that is right where Celestions shine. That's what makes them pair with Marshalls so well.

Stock speakers in the Blues Jr. aren't bad but the small baffle in the cabinet limits them.

If you like what you're hearing in videos of the BJ, it might be perfect for your situation. Most of the things I don't care for with them really only present themselves at louder volumes.
    i love greenbacks with my marshalls. to me there is nothing that beats that tone with an old non master marshall and a greenback cabinet.

i love the fender clean and you can really appreciate the difference between the 1 speaker amp and the 2 speaker amps. 

i have noticed if you really crank a blues junior and hit the fat switch it can sound a little muddy. i think that might be bumping up the mids and it might be clashing with the bass if that is up pretty high. i guess the best thing to do is go to a store that has several different versions. i am trying to avoid going to guitar center because i want to patronize locally owned shops due to the virus. only problem with going to a locally owned store is selection is limited. 

i will try out a few and let you know. it is very cool that you have done some work on these. i am comfortable with doing guitar work but i am not comfortable doing any kind of amp work. 

dudeman said:

Speaker selection in the Blues Jr. is definitely all over the place. I've played and worked on many of them with different speakers. For me, Celestions sound best to me in closed back cabs and not with Fender amps. The "Fender Sound" has a mid scoop that is right where Celestions shine. That's what makes them pair with Marshalls so well.

i love greenbacks with my marshalls. to me there is nothing that beats that tone with an old non master marshall and a greenback cabinet.

i love the fender clean and you can really appreciate the difference between the 1 speaker amp and the 2 speaker amps. 

i have noticed if you really crank a blues junior and hit the fat switch it can sound a little muddy. i think that might be bumping up the mids and it might be clashing with the bass if that is up pretty high. i guess the best thing to do is go to a store that has several different versions. i am trying to avoid going to guitar center because i want to patronize locally owned shops due to the virus. only problem with going to a locally owned store is selection is limited. 

i will try out a few and let you know. it is very cool that you have done some work on these. i am comfortable with doing guitar work but i am not comfortable doing any kind of amp work. 
    Agreed. Amps are dangerous and should only be worked on by qualified, experienced people.

Also, good for you for shopping local! The little guys are becoming rare and need all the help they can get. 

I'm interested to hear what you end up with and your thoughts after some quality playing time!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Oh, to have my '65 Deluxe Reverb back again.    I had no idea what I was letting go of those many years ago.  Today though, my quest would be for a mid-60's Princeton.  You may call me a dreamer-- go ahead!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Oh, to have my '65 Deluxe Reverb back again.    I had no idea what I was letting go of those many years ago.  Today though, my quest would be for a mid-60's Princeton.  You may call me a dreamer-- go ahead!  :smiley:
    oh man i'm sorry. this is one of the all time "i shoulda held on to that one" examples. you should check out the new tone master twin reverbs. they are only abut 35 lbs and are supposed to sound identical to the old ones. i played one this past weekend and it was very cool. it was just too much amp for what i was looking for.

i ended up playing about 12 different amps this weekend. ended up going with a blues junior iv. it has a cannabis speaker in it and to my ear sounded a little fuller and less brittle than the earlier versions of the blues jr. it is plenty loud and is really good for what i need it for. mine is used, and the money i saved on the cost of a new one went to a j rockett blue note overdrive that i use as an always on pedal to kind of goose the front end a little bit.

i played a twin reverb, tone master twin reverb, princeton handwired, princeton non handwired, hotrod deluxe, blues deluxe, and a couple of boutique combos. i really loved the bad cat hot cat, but i was like "do i really need this boutique amp for my living room??" lol....

i think this blues jr will work for what i need it for.

thanks all for your input!!

i ended up playing about 12 different amps this weekend. ended up going with a blues junior iv. it has a cannabis speaker in it and to my ear sounded a little fuller and less brittle than the earlier versions of the blues jr. it is plenty loud and is really good for what i need it for. mine is used, and the money i saved on the cost of a new one went to a j rockett blue note overdrive that i use as an always on pedal to kind of goose the front end a little bit.

i played a twin reverb, tone master twin reverb, princeton handwired, princeton non handwired, hotrod deluxe, blues deluxe, and a couple of boutique combos. i really loved the bad cat hot cat, but i was like "do i really need this boutique amp for my living room??" lol....

Fantastic! I'm glad you were able to actually check out a few to compare to. The ones you listed are all fine amps and if the BJ stood out against them, that's a good place to be. The newest revisions to the Hot Rod series make them better amps than they've ever been.
    dudeman said:

Fantastic! I'm glad you were able to actually check out a few to compare to. The ones you listed are all fine amps and if the BJ stood out against them, that's a good place to be. The newest revisions to the Hot Rod series make them better amps than they've ever been.
    i think my decision basically came down to pricing and overall output. it isn't that the blues junior sounded better than those others, because they all have their own voice. i would have loved to get a twin or something with 2 speakers, but i just do not need it at this time. i would have loved to get a princeton but they were a few hundred more and i did not want to spend over $900 on an amp for my living room. if i was going to do that i would have gotten the bad cat.

i was really shocked by how different all of the blues juniors sounded when comparing them. even the version ivs sounded different depending on which speaker was in them. there was a little lacquered tweed on that was the least expensive that i thought sounded really nice at low volume, but it got really thin and brittle when turned up. i was bummed because i love the look of old tweed. I ended up with the limited edition one with black tolex that looks like the hot rod ones. it looks more modern than the rest, but is not as flashy as some of the limited editions with brighter colors of tolex.

i was impressed with the hot rod series, but again they were a little more than i really needed. will definitely look at them again if i decide to go with a bigger combo amp at some point.

overall i am impressed with what the fender combos sound like.

• I have a blues junior and the mustang gtx50. The blues junior is really loud even though its only a 15 watt. It has good gain, breaks up nice. Mine is from 2012... haven’t played through a new one. The gtx50 is probably the best modeling amp i have used. 
    BO175983 said:
    I have a blues junior and the mustang gtx50. The blues junior is really loud even though its only a 15 watt. It has good gain, breaks up nice. Mine is from 2012... haven’t played through a new one. The gtx50 is probably the best modeling amp i have used. 
    yes the 15 watts is way louder than i expected. i am really happy with my blues jr. i put a tumnus pedal between my tele and the amp and the tumnus just brings so much tone out of the amp. i love those klon-style pedals. especially on a "boost" setting.

brianlux said:
    oh man i'm sorry. this is one of the all time "i shoulda held on to that one" examples. you should check out the new tone master twin reverbs. they are only abut 35 lbs and are supposed to sound identical to the old ones. i played one this past weekend and it was very cool. it was just too much amp for what i was looking for.

I was just reminiscing about this with my wife this evening for about the 10 thousandth time.  When I sold that amp about 35 years ago I was desperate for cash.  I think I got... grab the rail or sit down... only 50 bucks for it.

OUCH!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I was just reminiscing about this with my wife this evening for about the 10 thousandth time.  When I sold that amp about 35 years ago I was desperate for cash.  I think I got... grab the rail or sit down... only 50 bucks for it.

OUCH!
    ouch is right!!!!!

sorry to hear that, man.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

OUCH!
    ouch is right!!!!!

sorry to hear that, man.

live and learn, lol!

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited November 2020
    Picked up a  Fender '57 Champ Reissue 5 watt amp.  I'm loving it thus far.  Perfect for just playing quietly at home (especially in an apartment).  It breaks at a volume level that won't hurt your ears but I've also used a Tube Screamer and sounds good.  The tone is great.