Mark Lanegan

Comments

• petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    Rescheduled tour dates are starting to be released. Oxford is now 18th February, seems early but at least something positive is happening.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    “Life’s not hard, it’s just not easy”

I love throwing on any random album by this guy. I don’t think anybody else makes night music like him...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,926
    Mark Lanegan's Newcastle show is the first rescheduled show I've had cancelled. Seems early to cancel as it was due to take place in Febraury but I guess they don't believe any shows will take place before then. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Mark has another remix album coming out this month. IYEARA have remixed the Somebody’s Knocking album

Mark Lanegan and dark wave band IYEARA are delighted to announce a remix of his entire 2019 album Somebody’s Knocking, as the mischievously reconstructed and reimagined 'Another Knock At The Door' (IYEARA remixes) on 21st August 2020. 

The Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age front man's 11th solo album was a synth-laden and pulsating soundscape. In step with Lanegan's next move - a published memoir (Sing Backwards and Weep) - IYEARA have reworked the whole album, to scrutinise and reveal the nuances and atmospheres within, to re frame Lanegan's lyrics. IYEARA have reimagined the primal, guttural songs in their own image. 

Comprised of The Duke Spirit guitarist Toby Butler, producer Malcolm Carson and vocalist Paul O’Keeffe, IYEARA announced themselves in 2019 through the release of CONSEQUENCES EP; a record including a cover of  Shout by Tears for Fears featuring The Duke Spirit’s Liela Moss. The group have remixed the likes of Laura Marling’s LUMP project, UNKLE, Humanist ft Dave Gahan, The Prodigy, The Boxer RebellionSimon Raymonde’s Lost Horizons,  Paris Youth FoundationThe Ting Tings, JoyCut and Lusts.

Playing Nero will be the first single to be released from the album, with IYEARA adding a brooding, industrial edge to a beautiful, wistful original score. This will be followed by a remix of post-punk gem ‘She Loved You’ as IYEARA combine the throbbing synths of John Carpenter with the ethereal, ambient sonics of Tangerine Dream, creating their own cerebral take on the works of a unique, enduring artist.

Mark Lanegan Band - Another Knock At The Door (IYEARA remixes) is out on  21st August 2020.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Playing Nero (IYEARA remix)

https://youtu.be/6Ia6wXnsZlc

She Loved You (IYEARA remix)

https://youtu.be/MJ1Y5kO3svI

(Tim Rogers)
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    If anyone is interested, Newbury comics is selling his latest album with a signed book mark.  I am late to Screaming Trees and Lanegan solo work.  Been picking up lots of cd’s...so good.  Love Trees “Dust B sides” and his solo “the Winding Sheet”.  Better late than never 🎸
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    Cool^^^I'd like to read that book. I just snagged dust a couple years ago.

I was lucky to have a friend back in 89, 90 that was into music and shows. He turned me on to S Trees and we went to a couple shows with babes in toyland. His ghostly voice paired with the guitarists running around doing belly bumps on stage was cool. He stood there singing, not flipping out.. It was so great to be a part of that music scene. I had no idea back then. My bud would call radio shows and get free tickets to all these sick shows. Right at the birth of industrial music & 'grunge'. We lost touch after high school, but pretty sure he was too cool to care about pearl jam! Although he dug soundgarden louder than love! Screaming Chris Cornell. Got me to see them twice before anyone really knew who they were...i live the best life...been to/go to crazy shows...not lately...end of flashback
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    Loujoe said:
    Cool^^^I'd like to read that book. I just snagged dust a couple years ago.

I was lucky to have a friend back in 89, 90 that was into music and shows. He turned me on to S Trees and we went to a couple shows with babes in toyland. His ghostly voice paired with the guitarists running around doing belly bumps on stage was cool. He stood there singing, not flipping out.. It was so great to be a part of that music scene. I had no idea back then. My bud would call radio shows and get free tickets to all these sick shows. Right at the birth of industrial music & 'grunge'. We lost touch after high school, but pretty sure he was too cool to care about pearl jam! Although he dug soundgarden louder than love! Screaming Chris Cornell. Got me to see them twice before anyone really knew who they were...i live the best life...been to/go to crazy shows...not lately...end of flashback
    Awesome story and memories!  So cool to see those guys back then.  

I love catching music artists before they make it big time.  We have a great/growing live music scene in Maine that is on hold right now (like everywhere these days).  Can’t wait for shows to get back in action, but I know it’s still a ways off.  
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • 5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • Record Store Release with Greg Dulli, cover of Bob Dylan's Girl From the North Country. Fantastic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-6dhxaMJNo&feature=emb_titlebr>
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Hopefully this leads to another Gutter Twins album. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• pjl44 said:
    Im not going to believe either of them lol.  Hows that?
    I haven't read his book yet but I understand that Mark has...a bit of a history...when it comes to these sorts of things 
    I read the book in a day-and-a-half. It’s a real page turner. Couldn’t put it down. 
    As for Liam Gallagher, you should read the book for ML’s version of the events. I can picture it happening and don’t blame him. 
    Even his brother constantly wanted to beat the shit out of him... is it surprising Mark Lanegan would want to? He’s a little pissant, reminding us of his presence. 

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    pjl44 said:
    I haven't read his book yet but I understand that Mark has...a bit of a history...when it comes to these sorts of things 
    I read the book in a day-and-a-half. It’s a real page turner. Couldn’t put it down. 
    As for Liam Gallagher, you should read the book for ML’s version of the events. I can picture it happening and don’t blame him. 
    Even his brother constantly wanted to beat the shit out of him... is it surprising Mark Lanegan would want to? He’s a little pissant, reminding us of his presence. 

Read it and holy smokes. Relentless and a great read.
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Have you watched the interview with Joseph Arthur on YouTube? ML told Arthur he was outing everyone with that book. Lol. 

pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Have you watched the interview with Joseph Arthur on YouTube? ML told Arthur he was outing everyone with that book. Lol. 

Also yes! I love his podcast. I heard it before the book came out and had to listen again after I read it. I've never heard Lanegan laugh so much.
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Also yes! I love his podcast. I heard it before the book came out and had to listen again after I read it. I've never heard Lanegan laugh so much.
    Yeah, he really had a good time there, very relaxed. 
    Not like the interview on MTV’s 120 Minutes in like 1995 when he was clearly on heroin. It was tough interview for Lewis Largent. 
    ML was promoting his solo album. 
    ML is then joined by Mike Johnson for a segment, then J.Mascis joins the two of them for the final segment. You can tell MJ is not loving it (as ML mentioned in the book, didn’t agree with the drug abuse/lifestyle of ML). 

Then J Mascis plays drums on the live performance. Cool to see.

I went down the YouTube ML wormhole after finishing the book. Watched the Tonight Show and Letterman performances he talked about and then found all kinds of stuff

pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Yeah, he really had a good time there, very relaxed. 
    Not like the interview on MTV’s 120 Minutes in like 1995 when he was clearly on heroin. It was tough interview for Lewis Largent. 
    ML was promoting his solo album. 
    ML is then joined by Mike Johnson for a segment, then J.Mascis joins the two of them for the final segment. You can tell MJ is not loving it (as ML mentioned in the book, didn’t agree with the drug abuse/lifestyle of ML). 

Then J Mascis plays drums on the live performance. Cool to see.

I went down the YouTube ML wormhole after finishing the book. Watched the Tonight Show and Letterman performances he talked about and then found all kinds of stuff

Ha...I did the same thing. Searched YouTube for the different tv performances where he talks about how fucked up he was or how bad he sounded. I'll look for that 120 Minutes video. Haven't seen it, but it sounds incredible. 
    Mark is releasing an expanded version of the limited 'Dark Mark Does Christmas' record on December 4th.

"2020 has been a dark year and so to end the year Mark Lanegan returns as Dark Mark and releases a full Christmas album. Five tracks were released as a tour only 12" in 2012 which is now rare and impossible to find. He has recorded five more tracks recently and turned it into a full length album. Lanegan successfully takes some traditional Christmas songs, some Christmas covers plus some originals and twists them into a dark, melancholic affair. Standouts include Burn The Flames, originally recorded by Roky Erickson and Lanegan makes this sinister song, even more sinister. The Everley Brothers Christmas Eve Can Kill You is stripped back and haunting whilst the Lanegan original A Christmas Song is delicate and heartbreaking. 2020 is going be a dark Christmas."

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/mark-lanegan/dark-mark-does-christmas-2020

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Mark is releasing an expanded version of the limited 'Dark Mark Does Christmas' record on December 4th.

"2020 has been a dark year and so to end the year Mark Lanegan returns as Dark Mark and releases a full Christmas album. Five tracks were released as a tour only 12" in 2012 which is now rare and impossible to find. He has recorded five more tracks recently and turned it into a full length album. Lanegan successfully takes some traditional Christmas songs, some Christmas covers plus some originals and twists them into a dark, melancholic affair. Standouts include Burn The Flames, originally recorded by Roky Erickson and Lanegan makes this sinister song, even more sinister. The Everley Brothers Christmas Eve Can Kill You is stripped back and haunting whilst the Lanegan original A Christmas Song is delicate and heartbreaking. 2020 is going be a dark Christmas."

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/mark-lanegan/dark-mark-does-christmas-2020
    This will be the best Christmas album since Boney M. 
  • Think I need to pick up that 2015 Sub Pop box set. 
    A couples are $100 US on Discogs.  The shipping costs from the US are absolutely crazy now. Bet it’s $50 to ship it. Sigh. 

Think I need to pick up that 2015 Sub Pop box set. 
    A couples are $100 US on Discogs.  The shipping costs from the US are absolutely crazy now. Bet it’s $50 to ship it. Sigh. 

I picked that up in 2017 and it cost me $79.55 shipping to Australia. 
    I got 20% off the box set, but the whole thing still came to $151 in total. That’s still cheaper than I could get it locally though

(Tim Rogers)
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    goldrush said:

I got 20% off the box set, but the whole thing still came to $151 in total. That’s still cheaper than I could get it locally though
    Fair point. I’m not sure I could find this locally if I tried. I have not met many Mark Lanegan fans in these parts. 
    Been in basically every record store in Southern Alberta and have never seen it. 
    Just tell me it’s worth it and I’ll bite the bullet 😂
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    goldrush said:

Fair point. I’m not sure I could find this locally if I tried. I have not met many Mark Lanegan fans in these parts. 
    Been in basically every record store in Southern Alberta and have never seen it. 
    The only reason to get the box, over all the albums individually, is for a 12" litho of Mark sat in a car and for the box itself. 

To be honest I think I would spin the LPs more if I didn't have to open the box each time. When it came out the later three albums were not yet reissued so I bought it on release.

petted101 said:
    goldrush said:

The only reason to get the box, over all the albums individually, is for a 12" litho of Mark sat in a car and for the box itself. 

To be honest I think I would spin the LPs more if I didn't have to open the box each time. When it came out the later three albums were not yet reissued so I bought it on release.

It all depends what you’re looking for, I guess. If you don’t have any of them on vinyl then 5 great albums for $100 is a pretty good deal. 

(Tim Rogers)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    That box set is great
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of the Manna Mariam track 'Wishing Well' that Mark sings on? It's on her Soundcloud page but I can't find anywhere else to buy it online 

(Tim Rogers)
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    goldrush said:
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of the Manna Mariam track 'Wishing Well' that Mark sings on? It's on her Soundcloud page but I can't find anywhere else to buy it online 
    Amazing song! Thanks for pointing it out! :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap said:
    goldrush said:
    Amazing song! Thanks for pointing it out! :plus_one:
    It's great, isn't it? I just wish I could find it somewhere to buy it.
    I've got a playlist of 150+ non-album Lanegan songs (b-sides, guest appearances etc) and this is the only one I can't find to download anywhere.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited October 2020
    Recently I've been listening to a lot more of Mark's collaborations than to his actual albums, so I thought I'd post a few of them here.
    I'll start with 2 of my favourites, that couldn't be further apart from each other...

UNKLE - Looking For The Rain

https://youtu.be/Zl3Y5-Qrbk8

Mark Lanegan - Sneakers
    (from Sandra Boynton's "Dog Train")

https://youtu.be/vGsjHvH7cr4
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    Josephine (Bubblegum outtake)