Options

Mark Lanegan

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    A heartbreaking story.  I'm very sorry to hear this. 
    R.I.P. Mark Lanegan/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    RIP Mark
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,279
    R.I.P. Mark
    Honoured to having seen him live a couple of times. Always a great time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66S65lJvWIU
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    It's been a really tough day today. I can't remember a day that I haven't listened to something by Mark, but today he's all I've listened to.
    We are so lucky for the amazing wealth of music he left us. 

https://youtu.be/2BrAVvU1ppQ
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    goldrush said:
    It's been a really tough day today. I can't remember a day that I haven't listened to something by Mark, but today he's all I've listened to.
    We are so lucky for the amazing wealth of music he left us. 

https://youtu.be/2BrAVvU1ppQ
    Absolutely. So much amazing music. We have almost all of his lps and I will be digging into them again tonight. He will be missed.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Very sorry to hear this. From the Screaming Trees to his solo work and other projects, he has put out some great music. His contributions to the Alice in Chains MPOP tribute show really stood out among the performances for me. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    always wished we got a second record of Mad Season/Disinformation with Lanegan on lead. Those three songs on the reissue are awesome. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,512
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    touching. you can see Glen in the background breaking down. that must be so hard to get up in a crowded room you are supposed to be entertaining and make the show go on after a tragic loss like that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I had no idea that Mark is the one who introduced Kurt to "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?". Easily the best recorded show finale ever in my opinion. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Well written tribute:

https://www.kerrang.com/mark-lanegan-tribute-screaming-trees-nirvana-queens-of-the-stone-age-greg-dulli-voice-of-his-generation

I am grateful for the numerous times I was able to experience Mark Lanegan's voice and presence in concert. His catalogue will remain a treasured part of my daily life. I am still unable to wrap my mind around him not being here. A terrible loss. Irreplaceable voice has been silenced.
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
     Check out "Marc Lanegan from 2017" via web: http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/marc-lanegan-from-2017
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I am glad I got to see him solo once. I am so sad. :'(
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,893
    I saw Screaming Trees once on a triple bill with Soul Asylum and the Spin Doctors. I think it was 1993. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,800
    I think I saw them in 90 with babes in toyland at the continental nyc. Maybe caught them twice. Memory is getting foggy. Loved seeing the guitarists belly bumping on stage. Mark L just stood at his mic singing.  Good times. Great sounds. Good time to be at shows. I'm thankful for all that, and getting more aware of how long ago that was. 
  • Options
    Screaming Tree said: I am grateful for the numerous times I was able to experience Mark Lanegan's voice and presence in concert.
    I echo that sentiment: 1) Mark w/ Isobel (2011), Mark's band in Greece (2012), and Mark's band (2015).
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Pap said:
    Awesome! I played Blues Funeral to death when it came out. Bittersweet as it is, it's been good to dive back into his back catalogue over the last few days, the sheer volume of music he produced is pretty incredible.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I have been listening to the Gutter Twins lately. Loved his voice and was lucky to meet him several times in Seattle Antwerp.
    I am looking to download one of his live Cd's: The night porter London 2010 Union Chapel. If anyone can help.
    I have got his show at Melbourne if anyone needs it...
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,512
    Nick Cave's words..

''Go online and watch Mark sing Blixa’s ‘father’ part with me in ‘The Weeping Song’ on that tour. As a frontman, I move around a lot on stage, I can’t help it, it is a habitual nervous thing, a kind of neurotic compensation for a voice I have never felt that comfortable with. But watch Mark, watch how he walks onto the stage, plants himself at the mic stand, one tattooed fist halfway down the stand, the other resting on top of the mic, immobile, massive, male. When the time comes to sing, he simply opens his mouth and releases a blues, a blues lived deeply and utterly earned, and that voice tears right through you, his sheer force on stage absolutely humbling. A greatness, Mark, a greatness — a true singer, a superb writer and beautiful soul, loved by all.''

https://youtu.be/FOIz8paD4VA
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    soooo I'm  a fucking dumbass stuck in my classic rock shit primarily.Miss so much new shit and other shit I should have been clued into all along. Lanegan is one of those of the latter.

Have been giving him his due attention this past week since we heard the news. Was able to pick up a couple of the last records at my local spot. for now.

And as my wallet allows , will be signing up to get taken for a ride on discogs.....

as an aside, listening to blues funeral while doing under kitchen sink work as an overweight fat fuck with arthritic knees helped the entire process.

• Options

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mickeyrat said:
    soooo I'm  a fucking dumbass stuck in my classic rock shit primarily.Miss so much new shit and other shit I should have been clued into all along. Lanegan is one of those of the latter.

Have been giving him his due attention this past week since we heard the news. Was able to pick up a couple of the last records at my local spot. for now.

And as my wallet allows , will be signing up to get taken for a ride on discogs.....

as an aside, listening to blues funeral while doing under kitchen sink work as an overweight fat fuck with arthritic knees helped the entire process.
    I'd wait a little while on Discogs. The prices have skyrocketed since his passing. You may be better off trying to track them down through a record store.

Blues Funeral is an amazing album!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mfc2006 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I'd wait a little while on Discogs. The prices have skyrocketed since his passing. You may be better off trying to track them down through a record store.

Blues Funeral is an amazing album!

listened to some in my pick up.Stock  Kenwood in my Ram with surround sound and it  thumps....  cant wait to get this on vinyl and spin... along with most of the catalog I have heard so far.

as for discogs, theres a couple go to sellers who are straight up. I look for them first. or Japan. they seem reasonable too inculding shipping. Like with Van Halen, got mint shit for very very reasonable prices.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    Saw Mark’s obituary earlier.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/dailyrecordnews/name/mark-lanegan-obituary?id=33356569

Mark William Lanegan, 57, was born on November 25, 1964, in Ellensburg, Washington to Dale and Floy Lanegan. On February 22, 2022, Mark passed away in his home in Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland.

As a child, Mark played sports year-round. His favorite, though, was baseball. He fell in love with it early. He made many close friends in childhood that he loved and kept all his life.

Mark found life in music. He was a prolific and original talent. He wrote and recorded many beautiful songs as a solo artist and with the Mark Lanegan Band, creating numerous albums and collaborations over a nearly four-decade career. He was also a founding member of, and vocalist for, the band Screaming Trees.

Mark had a fervor to create and did so in many ways, including poetry, music, memoir, and drawing. Artistically, he was dedicated to his own horizons.

His art was, to many, his greatest contribution to our difficult world. But Mark was, above all, a man determined to make a beautiful life, one where writing and singing were gateways to something beyond himself, one where all his friends and family could enjoy the fruit of his countless labors. Mark was convinced that everyone could improve their lives through hard work, a sense of humor, and an eye toward growth, and he demonstrated these values through his actions. 

Visiting family often involved a trip to shoot pool, laughing until our sides split over the ridiculousness of life. The love he held for his Australian shepherds and cats, his passion for the L.A. Clippers, and the genuine way in which he took in what you had just said, listened and thought about it, then responded, made talking with Mark an enormous gift. 

He was our deeply beloved son, brother, uncle, husband, and friend. He was fiercely loyal and, in your corner, forever. He was a protector, confidant, encourager, and teacher (though he would likely reject that title). He could make you laugh on your darkest day.

Mark is survived by his wife Shelley Brien, father Dale Lanegan (Sherrie), mother Floy Hotarek (Bill), sister Trina Lanegan, nephews Teo Bicchieri (Teresa), Paolo Bicchieri (Lucie), and David Coppin Lanegan, as well as great-niece Noémie Bicchieri.

To remember Mark, do something that you love that brings you joy. Talk to an old friend. Walk your dogs and hug them. Throw a baseball.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Barrett Martin posted this story on his FB page today…

With the passing of our brother and bandmate, Mark Lanegan, I have found that humor is really the best medicine, and Mark knew this truth, perfectly. So I outlined 7 stories about Mark and the Trees, which I am currently writing and will post here on my pages. Humor is the operative word here, so I hope these stories lifts your spirits as we think about Mark over the coming weeks. 

Story # 1
    Beer Projectiles & Falling Refrigerators
    By Barrett Martin

For some reason, the Screaming Trees had a propensity for throwing cans and even bottles of beer at each other, and Mark told the story in “Sing Backwards And Weep” of how I threw a can of beer at him in his New York City hotel room. This is true, and I wish I hadn’t done it, but I did. What is much more revealing about that event is the reason for my beer can chucking in the first place. It all came back in 2019, when Mark called to ask if I remembered certain stories differently from the way he remembered them. We had a really great phone conversation where I told him the things I could recall, and I’d say that his book is pretty darn accurate from everything I remember from those wild years. Anyway, Mark reminded me that it was I who threw that first beer, and the reason for this is as follows:

When we went to New York City to record “Sweet Oblivion,” the band was flat broke, but I was literally “broke ass broke” because my previous band, Skin Yard, had just split up on the plane flight home from Europe, and I had just quit my construction job to join the Trees and go to New York to make the album. I left Seattle with $100 cash in my pocket, and I remember that I spent $60 on a black leather jacket at one of those Pakistani leather markets in NYC, so I would look cool in the photo shoot for the back cover of the album. This is the photo (and the jacket) below. I only had $40 left and our label, Epic Records, had not given us any per diem money to buy food, so there we were in NYC, making a major label album and we still had zero funds to live on. My hotel roommate was Van Conner, and he and I survived on $1.00 slices of pizza and cans of Rolling Rock beer – every day. That is literally all we ate and drank, except for the free coffee in the lobby of our hotel. The one thing the label did give us were car vouchers that we could use to order a Lincoln Town Car to take us to the studio. So the label gave us fancy car rides, but money for food - not so much. We had several booklets of these car vouchers, which Van, Lee, and I would use to get to the studio, hours before Mark would arrive. Meanwhile, Mark was using up all his car vouchers riding around NYC raising all kinds of hell that we would later hear about, while we were cutting basic tracks for the album. But Mark would always arrive at the studio just in time to cut his vocals, which were of course, magnificent. 

At a certain point, we were down to just one booklet of car vouchers and Mark called my hotel room and said he really needed it. I told him we only had one booklet left and we were all out of money and couldn’t afford to take taxis. But Mark charmed me into taking the booklet down to his room, which he snatched out of my hand quite rudely. I used this as an opportunity to lecture Mark on having better manners towards his band mates, and that I, the newest member of the band, wasn’t even getting food money while I was recording basic tracks for his album. I didn’t really know Mark at the time, and I had only been in rehearsal rooms with him as we prepared the songs for Sweet Oblivion. I was also as tall and even beefier than Mark, and I stood 6’3” and weighed 200 pounds, so I was built more like a linebacker than a drummer. I wasn’t about to take any shit from Mark, but he responded to my lecture with two words, which I remember exactly: “tough titty.” This infuriated me so much that I hurled my freshly opened can of Rolling Rock as hard as I could at his head, which missed him by a mile because, well, I was drunk at the time. Mark just started laughing hysterically, jumped out of his chair and hugged me exclaiming, “Well you must have been raised by Irish alcoholics too!” Which made laugh and cry a little bit, and suddenly everything was fine between us. In fact, I think we actually became brothers in that moment because we understood certain things about each other: I learned that Mark had a wicked sense of humor that disarmed most situations, and he understood that I cared about the band more than myself. 

Well, the beer projectile karma came back on me years later, after the Trees had played a truly magnificent show in Cincinnati, which was one of the greatest shows I have ever played in my life. We played for something like 3 hours, playing absolutely every song in our catalog, plus a whole bunch of covers by The Velvet Underground, Cream, and the MC5. The encore was a Q & A where the audience could ask Mark questions, and he would answer in the most hilarious, good-hearted way. It was a truly magnificent show.  After we finally ended 3 hours later, we went backstage and Mark and Lee got into some kind of petty argument. I said something that I thought was pretty neutral, but it caused Lee to hurl a full, unopened beer bottle at my head, which I ducked and barely missed, feeling it graze the back of my neck as it stuck, nose first in the sheetrock wall behind me. It literally could have killed me, and this infuriated Van to the degree that he screamed like a gladiator as he lunged at Lee, and both brothers began brawling like Godzilla versus Mothra, duking it out as they destroyed the entire backstage. At one point, they collided with a massive 1950s refrigerator that toppled over and landed on top of me, with Van and Lee howling and brawling on top of the fridge. I was crushed, literally. 

Mark was sitting in an armchair laughing his ass off the entire time as he watched the spectacle unfold, and Van finally subdued Lee to where I could extract myself from underneath the fridge. But it just goes to show:  

If you chuck a beer at someone, you will surely have one chucked back at you, even if it’s many years later. And it might include a refrigerator as well.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,800
    Funny^ I always kind of romanticize what goes on after a good show. Never would think the band members were fighting. Good stuff.