Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Nyc city street running - dangerous!

Our @The Juggler would sprint with oncoming traffic 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited September 2020
    Nyc city street running - dangerous!

Our @The Juggler would sprint with oncoming traffic 
    In most cases, I would agree with you. Most of my running takes place on the East River Path - so bicycles are the only danger. I definitely run on the sidewalks when I run the Avenues. Those are more traffic heavy for sure. When I run in the street, it is more on the blocks between the Avenues. Since it is pretty far east downtown in the Alphabets, the traffic is much lighter than somewhere like Midtown. I generally only do it for a few blocks and try to stay more on the very edge of the bike lane facing the cars. If too many cars or bikes, or a big truck is coming my way, I jump on the sidewalk. One thing I noticed is that the street is much more even in terms of pavement. The sidewalks slope all over the place.

The Juggler is a daredevil ;)

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Daredevil.
    Mmmmm.  Not sure that is the word I would use.

A maniac!  ✓
    Hit 7 miles today. I don’t think I will do that very often. My body feels like it has been put through the ringer. But now I know I can do it. I also slightly rolled my ankle at the beginning of my run. It didn’t hurt at all when I was running. I can just slightly feel it now. I hope it doesn’t turn into a thing. Luckily, I can rest it for the remainder of the day. 
    edited September 2020
    Great job!

Sorry to hear you twisted the ankle but hopeful that the fact it isn't hurting really right now that you will be fine.

At the spot in training where I am meant to run a half marathon tomorrow.  It aligns with both virtual 5k and 10 mile races which were made virtual after sign up by Covid...so it lines up well for 13.1 tomorrow AM.  Having an extra day of rest (today, although I will push the lawnmower for a an hour or two this afternoon) is a nice luxury 
    Great job!

Sorry to hear you twisted the ankle but hopeful that the fact it isn't hurting really right now that you will be fine.

At the spot in training where I am meant to run a half marathon tomorrow.  It aligns with both virtual 5k and 10 mile races which were made virtual after sign up by Covid...so it lines up well for 13.1 tomorrow AM.  Having an extra day of rest (today, although I will push the lawnmower for a an hour or two this afternoon) is a nice luxury 
    Thanks. Good luck tomorrow. That is a big run day. When I was just about to hit the 7 miles all exhausted I was thinking about you guys and how I would only be just past the 1/2 way point for a half marathon. It blows my mind how far you guys can run. Much admiration!! 👏👏👏
    I still felt that the last two weekends when I did 14 and 15 miles .... especially last Saturday.  (You mean I would still have another 11.2 miles to go?  Ahhhh!)

Took 14 mins off the half time I checked from two weeks ago and 8 minutes off the time from the actual Philadelphia Half Marathon for me last year.
    I was 6 minutes from my goal but the last few miles I was in no shape to do anything more than push to try and keep my base pace.  (Couldn't even hit that.)
    Probably should have worn the brace when mowing the lawn yesterday but wanted to see how my ankle would react.  It was barking at me this morning just putting the damn brace on.  By about mile 10 my legs were getting weaker and I was pretty concerned about my stride/rolling the ankle without strong leg support....so I really shortened things up and my poor left leg had to pretty much do double duty to keep things going.  Resulting calf pain was a gift from below.

Oh well - another week in the books.  I thi k next weekend is 17.  :lol:

Also - 42 degrees and a slight wind, felt like high 30s.  
  • 4,69km last round. Atleast keeping myself under 7minutes/km.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Took 14 mins off the half time I checked from two weeks ago and 8 minutes off the time from the actual Philadelphia Half Marathon for me last year.
    I was 6 minutes from my goal but the last few miles I was in no shape to do anything more than push to try and keep my base pace.  (Couldn't even hit that.)
    Probably should have worn the brace when mowing the lawn yesterday but wanted to see how my ankle would react.  It was barking at me this morning just putting the damn brace on.  By about mile 10 my legs were getting weaker and I was pretty concerned about my stride/rolling the ankle without strong leg support....so I really shortened things up and my poor left leg had to pretty much do double duty to keep things going.  Resulting calf pain was a gift from below.

Nice job. That is great about your time. My time is still not where I want it to be. But I am making a lot more progress on my distance. Were you able to roll out your legs after. I recall your saying that you wife has some rollers. That may help your calf. I can’t even imagine 17 miles. I know you can do it though. I am still gathering my cold weather gear. Almost done buying the clothes. Still need the accessories - gloves, warm headband, wool socks, etc. I should get on that. The mornings are getting a lot colder. 
    4,69km last round. Atleast keeping myself under 7minutes/km.
    Nice. You have come far from your first run. Glad you are sticking with it. 
    GlowGirl said:

Nice job. That is great about your time. My time is still not where I want it to be. But I am making a lot more progress on my distance. Were you able to roll out your legs after. I recall your saying that you wife has some rollers. That may help your calf. I can’t even imagine 17 miles. I know you can do it though. I am still gathering my cold weather gear. Almost done buying the clothes. Still need the accessories - gloves, warm headband, wool socks, etc. I should get on that. The mornings are getting a lot colder. 
    Thanks - yeah I need to get the roller out, sure that will help.
    Mornings are for sure getting colder now!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    quick nine mile sprint today. broke my pb of 30 minutes,...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    :lol:
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    So you ran 9 miles in less than 3 minutes 30 seconds per mile?

• Getting cold here in sweden for running. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

yeah. i've been working on upping my speed over the last couple of days
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hmmm...

Today was great running weather. I wore my hoodie for the first time since the spring, but took it off after the first mile. The air felt great. Did 5 miles and had my best time in a while - but not quite as fast as The Juggler ;)
    Great job!
    GlowGirl said:
    Today was great running weather. I wore my hoodie for the first time since the spring, but took it off after the first mile. The air felt great. Did 5 miles and had my best time in a while - but not quite as fast as The Juggler ;)
    Sounds like a nice warm up
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

You should get that documented by USA Track and Field since the fastest recorded human mile is 3:43.13.
    And the fastest recorded 10 mile is 44:24

edited September 2020

You should get that documented by USA Track and Field since the fastest recorded human mile is 3:43.13.
    And the fastest recorded 10 mile is 44:24

Well I don't like to advertise my speed but yeah, Vin Lananna from USA T and F is joining me for my sprint on Thursday in and around the Appalachian Mountains.

But I'm 42 years old, though. I can't really see myself competing internationally again. It's just a lot to deal with. The press is brutal these days, but you never know. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hahaha.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

That's a great improvement! And too bad Philly isn't happening this year; I've run the half as well as the full (in November), which is a great course.

42 degrees is just about perfect weather for a long run (she says, sitting comfortably in SoCal). I hope the leg is feeling better.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Kind of like someone in a virtual challenge I'm doing who logged 40 hours of biking for last Tuesday. ;)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Kind of like someone in a virtual challenge I'm doing who logged 40 hours of biking for last Tuesday. ;)
    You might be dealing with a four legged individual though. They can put up twice as many hours as the rest of us. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    How is everyone doing? My ankle that I slightly rolled on Saturday was completely painless for the past 3 days. For some reason today I woke up with some pain. I wore a compression sock to run and it helped. No pain while running. But I can feel it a bit now. I have had much worse ankle pain in the past, but know it can take a really long time to completely go away. I just wonder why it took 4 days to actually start hurting.

That's a great improvement! And too bad Philly isn't happening this year; I've run the half as well as the full (in November), which is a great course.

42 degrees is just about perfect weather for a long run (she says, sitting comfortably in SoCal). I hope the leg is feeling better.
    Thanks.  8 this morning and it wasn't too bad.  
    The wind is the only thing I would gripe about....I grew up in VT and can deal with some cold (although 20 years in SoCal did weaken that some) but the wind can be pretty tough in Philly, as I'm sure you can recall 

You seem to be the running vet on this thread, which is great.  What is the longest distance you have done?
    50 miles is my ultimate goal and am curious if you have done any Ultras?

Thanks.  8 this morning and it wasn't too bad.  
    The wind is the only thing I would gripe about....I grew up in VT and can deal with some cold (although 20 years in SoCal did weaken that some) but the wind can be pretty tough in Philly, as I'm sure you can recall 

You seem to be the running vet on this thread, which is great.  What is the longest distance you have done?
    50 miles is my ultimate goal and am curious if you have done any Ultras?

I once considered doing ultras. But -- I'm 51 and not getting any younger. Right now I split my time between running and lifting -- an odd place to be since most runners shy away from the weight room and bodybuilders and powerlifters generally think cardio is the devil, LOL. But lifting has made me faster -- I'm faster now than I was 7-8 years ago -- and all those miles and hills have given me leg muscles that are the envy of the women (and many men) at the gym. Right now, I'm feeling conflicted about my goals, but I don't think marathons or ultras would be good for my body. Your mileage and your body will vary, of course.

I've done six or seven marathons. To state the obvious, the jump from 13.1 miles to 26.2 is a big one. I prefer to run half-marathons and 10Ks. Training for a marathon eats most of one's time: I found that 20-mile training runs weren't adequate preparation, but 22 miles was. Still, 22 - mile runs, plus warm-up and recovery, took up most of my day. And runs over 20 miles do weird and unpleasant things to my pelvic bones.

I think training for an ultra means: 1)  focusing solely on running, unless you are retired and/or have someone to take care of the rest of adulting for you; 2) doing the bodywork (yoga, foam rolling, mobility) needed to keep your parts working smoothly as you get older; 3) SLOWING DOWN -- jokes about 13-mile sprints aside, most people take their "easy" and "slow" runs too hard and too fast.

If you look at the times most ultra-runners (especially the older ones) are recording, they are taking a pretty relaxed approach to things. Be a tortoise, not a hare.  "Banking miles" doesn't work for distances of 26.2 and longer. People (usually men -- sorry, guys) sometimes burst across the starting line of a long run with the attitude that nailing down fast times for the early miles will pay off later in the race. Instead, they bonk. In my strongest marathon performances, I told myself "you're going to be out here all day, just sit back and relax." And each time, in the last six miles I passed *hundreds* of people, nearly all men, who had hit the wall and had to walk the rest of the race. My goal for any race of 13.1 or more is to record a negative split (second half faster than first half). If I can do that, I finish strong and feel good about my performance. :-)

Just my thoughts and experience. I'd encourage you to seek out a community of ultra-runners for first-hand input. And I'd encourage running a 50K before a 50M. :-)