8:46 am on a tuesday

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just taught 9/11 to my first period class and even though it has been 18 years it doesn't get any easier.   I can not watch the towers coming down, I have to look away.
    there is no way I could teach about that day. just don't think i could get the words out right or keep from crying if i tried.  it's so strange to me that it's already been 18 years.  freshmen in college are the last ones born before this happened. it is kind of crazy that there are kids in high school who weren't even born when this happened.  time has gone by so damn fast

Last year at this time, I asked the girl who buses tables at wing night if she knew anything about 9/11.  She said "Not really, they taught us a little bit about it in school every year on the day, but that was it."  It's crazy knowing there are functioning high school & college kids who have little to no clue about this day, let alone it's significance.
    Rest in Peace to all those fallen.  A big thank you to Jon Stewart for his emotional speech regarding the Victim's Compensation Fund.  Thank you to Congress for listening and extending the program. We still need to do better.
    Not to sound crass but did you have any emotional attachment to Iwo Jima?  D-Day? The Enola Gay?

It's the same for these kids now as they have no emotional attachment.  

I never thought that our generation would have a moment like that.  I'm hoping future generations don't have to have one either.
    Oh I know.  Mine would have been the Vietman War, I guess (born in '77).  I was just thinking it's crazy that it's already been that long ago that we've gotten to grown kids/young adults not knowing about it.  It just doesn't seem that long ago.
    This puts the whole "I can't believe how long ago it's been" thing in perspective for me. I was born in 78. So, yeah, 9/11 now is kind of like what Vietnam was to us when we were in high school give or take a few years, I guess. Vietnam always seemed like something from a million years ago so I guess I can understand how kids don't have a connection or know much about 9/11 nowadays. The difference is, obviously, that 9/11 happened here and stuff but still...

I always like to think of things in terms of this for other things too. Like tv shows. Seinfeld is over 30 years old at this point. So a high school kid watching a Seinfeld rerun today would be the same thing as me watching an I Love Lucy rerun in the mid 90's. That shit blows my mind for some reason.

Fuck. Getting old sucks. 

Anyway---RIP to all those who died on 9/11. Again......I still cannot believe it's been this long. Crazy. 
    The stat that was weirdest to me  like that is when the first Star Wars came out, D-Day was newer then that Star Was is now. That's actually been true for about 10 years or so.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    For those of us who were in DC, Shanksville, NYC and its environs. For those of us who felt it, heard it, saw it, smelled it. For those who lost loved ones that day. It's a completely different set of feelings and emotions from those who were hundreds and thousands  of miles away and only saw it on tv.
    Not better or worse just different.

For those who blame America for what happened F.U
    For those who blame Americans F.U.
    For those who blame the Jews/Israel F.U.
    For those who say it was the U.S. govt. F.U.
    And for those who claim it didn't happen you get the biggest F.U.
    The stupidest comment I read on Facebook the other day was from a guy saying no planes hit the towers despite their being a lot of footage showing they did. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just taught 9/11 to my first period class and even though it has been 18 years it doesn't get any easier.   I can not watch the towers coming down, I have to look away.
    there is no way I could teach about that day. just don't think i could get the words out right or keep from crying if i tried.  it's so strange to me that it's already been 18 years.  freshmen in college are the last ones born before this happened. it is kind of crazy that there are kids in high school who weren't even born when this happened.  time has gone by so damn fast

Last year at this time, I asked the girl who buses tables at wing night if she knew anything about 9/11.  She said "Not really, they taught us a little bit about it in school every year on the day, but that was it."  It's crazy knowing there are functioning high school & college kids who have little to no clue about this day, let alone it's significance.
    Rest in Peace to all those fallen.  A big thank you to Jon Stewart for his emotional speech regarding the Victim's Compensation Fund.  Thank you to Congress for listening and extending the program. We still need to do better.
    Not to sound crass but did you have any emotional attachment to Iwo Jima?  D-Day? The Enola Gay?

I never thought that our generation would have a moment like that.  I'm hoping future generations don't have to have one either.
    Oh I know.  Mine would have been the Vietman War, I guess (born in '77).  I was just thinking it's crazy that it's already been that long ago that we've gotten to grown kids/young adults not knowing about it.  It just doesn't seem that long ago.
    This puts the whole "I can't believe how long ago it's been" thing in perspective for me. I was born in 78. So, yeah, 9/11 now is kind of like what Vietnam was to us when we were in high school give or take a few years, I guess. Vietnam always seemed like something from a million years ago so I guess I can understand how kids don't have a connection or know much about 9/11 nowadays. The difference is, obviously, that 9/11 happened here and stuff but still...

I always like to think of things in terms of this for other things too. Like tv shows. Seinfeld is over 30 years old at this point. So a high school kid watching a Seinfeld rerun today would be the same thing as me watching an I Love Lucy rerun in the mid 90's. That shit blows my mind for some reason.

Fuck. Getting old sucks. 

Anyway---RIP to all those who died on 9/11. Again......I still cannot believe it's been this long. Crazy. 
    I feel the same with Simpsons. The seasons from the early to mid 90s are far removed from the current generation.
    It's like music, what 70s rock felt like for us growing up is what 90s rock is for kids today.
    We're old man.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Fuck. Getting old sucks. 

I feel the same with Simpsons. The seasons from the early to mid 90s are far removed from the current generation.
    It's like music, what 70s rock felt like for us growing up is what 90s rock is for kids today.
    We're old man.

Ha ha ha!

You little babies in your thirties and forties :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Fuck. Getting old sucks. 

We're old man.

Ha ha ha!

Noone understands my love for and references to The Simpsons unless they're in their mid 30s and older.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Renfield said:
    For those of us who were in DC, Shanksville, NYC and its environs. For those of us who felt it, heard it, saw it, smelled it. For those who lost loved ones that day. It's a completely different set of feelings and emotions from those who were hundreds and thousands  of miles away and only saw it on tv.
    Not better or worse just different.

For those who blame America for what happened F.U
    For those who blame Americans F.U.
    For those who blame the Jews/Israel F.U.
    For those who say it was the U.S. govt. F.U.
    And for those who claim it didn't happen you get the biggest F.U.
    That smell. I wish I had not been told what it was- it lasted for weeks.
    That's one of my strongest memories as well. Walking around for weeks with that constant smell.
    Truly horrifying, I can imagine what the smell was.
    I will forever be disturbed by footage of people jumping and the sound of them crashing to the floor.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    This song from Living Colour about falling for a girl on that faithful day.

The song is called.....FLYING

I jumped out the window,
    To get to the parking-lot,
    I'm writing this little song,
    On my way down,
    Never in my life,
    Have I felt a heat so hot,
    I had to get out.
    Such a lovely day to go flying
    The sky's so clear the sun is shining
    Fate has given me wings,
    Such a terrible funny thing.
    I was gathering my nerve to ask out carmen,
    She glanced out the window,
    Oh my god,
    Her room it went away,
    Just not the way I planned.
    Such a lovely day to go flying
    The sky's so clear the sun is shining
    Fate has given me wings,
    Such a terrible funny thing,
    Funny thing
    I jumped out the window,
    To get

https://youtu.be/KwfOLoreSHk

Many times when I think of 9/11 I would ALWAYS put myself in the situation that many faced being stuck on those top floors of the Trade Center. Faced with the heat from the fire and the desperation placed on them I would have made that faithful leap head first better if I had someone to jump with me.

Around noon that day I can clearly remember going outside to get some air. I can recall saying to myself, at some point many many innocent lives are going to be lost ALL around the world after what has happened here today.

May all the lives lost and those being lost today from 9/11 rest in peace.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Fuck. Getting old sucks. 

We're old man.

Ha ha ha!

Noone understands my love for and references to The Simpsons unless they're in their mid 30s and older.

I'm old enough to remember the Simpsons in print form in weekly free newspaper and then on the Tracey Ullman Show...

https://youtu.be/nekvVuoiTyA

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why do you think 911 happened followed by other terror incidents?  Because you’re country has been indiscriminately killing innocent in many places in world.  Are they not allowed to fight back?   Why Saudi Arabia not attack, after all of the terrorist came from there.  Bush is a war criminal.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Why do you think 911 happened followed by other terror incidents?  Because you’re country has been indiscriminately killing innocent in many places in world.  Are they not allowed to fight back?   Why Saudi Arabia not attack, after all of the terrorist came from there.  Bush is a war criminal.  
    not that it doesnt matter, of course it does but it doesnt have a place in this thread. period.

not for nothing though  Canada has done its part to facilitate what you're ranting about.  so get off your high horse here. staRT your own thread about it
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    And what exactly are you trying to say? 9/11 was a response so therefore on 9/11 it's not appropriate to memorialize those who were murdered? Why not just come out and say it?

How many times do people here have to tell you to just show some fucking respect and start a thread about it so this can continue to memorialize the people who died on 9/11? Is empathy that absent in your heart?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    benjs said:
    And what exactly are you trying to say? 9/11 was a response so therefore on 9/11 it's not appropriate to memorialize those who were murdered? Why not just come out and say it?

How many times do people here have to tell you to just show some fucking respect and start a thread about it so this can continue to memorialize the people who died on 9/11? Is empathy that absent in your heart?

Trolls gonna troll. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    how quickly this past year has went
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I feel for those with close personal stories of loss and tragedy from this event. I have no direct connections to any of the victims or first responders.

Spending my first semester in college, I was sitting in an English class. Upon hearing the news, it was something you just instantly knew was a "JFK moment". I would always remember where I was when I heard that news. And the realization of the impact and totality of the event quickly set in. What I could not have known then, and hope I never forget, was how great it felt as America came together immediately to begin to navigate our way through it. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    mickeyrat said:
    102 minutes.......

mickeyrat said:
    343 FDNY

mickeyrat said:
    72 NYPD

mickeyrat said:
    2606 people starting their work day.....

mickeyrat said:
    87 passengers and crew American Airlines Flight 11

mickeyrat said:
    60 passengers and crew United Airlines Flight 175

mickeyrat said:
    125 people beginning their dayThe Pentagon Washington DC

mickeyrat said:
    59 passengers and crew American Airlines Flight 77

mickeyrat said:
    40 passengers and crew United Airlines Flight 93 a field near Shanksville Pa

mickeyrat said:
    First responders still dying from job caused illness with little support from their government

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    On 9/1l/2001 I was getting ready to go to my job on the 12th floor of the Woolworth Building just around the corner from the WTC. I didn’t have to be there until 10, so hadn’t left my apartment yet. I was getting dressed when I heard a loud boom that sounded like thunder. I looked out the window but it was a bright sunny day. I had the local news on TV in the background and heard that a plane crashed into the WTC. From there all hell broke loose. As most of us were I was glued to my TV for days after. My office building did not get damaged, but we were in the zone so we were out of the office for over 3 weeks. Some of my colleagues had been there and were running from that big dust ball they showed on TV. What I remember about that day was the burning smell in my apartment, and watching people covered in dust walk up my street in complete silence. My neighborhood is below 14th Street so we were cut off from all vehicles except for emergency vehicles for several days. I remember the grocery stores were running out of supplies and the ATMs were empty. We had to walk above 14th street to get stuff. When we were finally allowed to go back to our office our windows looked over the site and we spent quite a bit of time watching the workers in the big hole of rubble. There was still a lot of dust on the streets as well. My colleague’s office that used to have the sun blocked out by the WTC was now bright and sunny. 

Since then I have been to the memorial many times. The 9/11 museum is amazing if you get the chance. But be prepared to cry. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I was in my office listening to the Bob & Tom show on the radio.  I remember them talking about it and things got very serious real quick after the second plane hit.  I'll never forget the discussions about what kind of plane hit the first tower.  Initially it was just assumed (not by people there I'm sure...but by people reporting it on the radio, etc.) that it was a small plane that hit it by accident.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I'm beginning to think 846 is a cursed number....

Awful Awful day...seems like only a few years ago.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Yeah and I remember not too long after that day I had an insurance premium due to a company that had been in one of the towers.  I had received the policy billing sometime before 9/11 and it was probably due in October or something.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited September 2020
    I'm beginning to think 846 is a cursed number....

perhaps it should signify a fundamental shift is overdue in this country instead

I won't  go into the details but I was a defense contractor working less than a mile from the Pentagon. Felt and heard the plane hit the building. There's more to tell but don't  want to type it all.

I can remember every detail of that day plus September 10th and 12th.

#NeverForget911
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    just read a story on instagram of a man caught in one of the towers, no way to get out....calls his wife....she rushes to their kids' high school so they could talk to their dad before he ultimately dies. 

heartbreaking to say the fucking least. my god i can't imagine that phone call. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    just read a story on instagram of a man caught in one of the towers, no way to get out....calls his wife....she rushes to their kids' high school so they could talk to their dad before he ultimately dies. 

heartbreaking to say the fucking least. my god i can't imagine that phone call. 
    When I went to visit the 9/11 Museum it was all heartbreaking. But what got me crying was that they have this room that you can sit in and listen to the answering machine messages left by people on the planes to their families after they were hijacked. You can tell that these people knew they were not going to make it. Those last goodbyes brought me to tears. I always recommend this museum to people visiting NYC. It is a truly remarkable experience. But I will never go back again. Once was enough.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Been teaching this for many years and it never gets easier.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I watched a compilation video of the crashes last night.  That was a bad idea.  There's so much going on here already.  The depression deepens.  Just seems like a horrid world and sometimes I wonder...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

what's the other significance of 846?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

George Floyd

https://youtu.be/3tR6mKcBbT4
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    19 years and it still brings me to tears. WMMR did a minute moment of silence and 8:46 this morning and later played New York New York and I teared up during both.  Hell I'm tearing up just typing this.  That day and the days and weeks after will never leave me.  RIP to all those who lost their lives that day.

George Floyd

https://youtu.be/3tR6mKcBbT4
    right
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD