Succession- HBO

Can't believe there isn't a thread on this show yet.  Season 2 just finished the other night and was so damn good.  The roundtable scene where they discuss who needs to take the fall so matter of factly was great....such great characters. This is definitely my favorite show on TV right now.  

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on this as well.   Love this show.  This season was awesome.  I thought Season 1 was good not great but really kicked into gear this season. Agree the characters are great. Kieran Culkin is killing it as Roman.  I'm bummed the season is over already.   
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,734
    Agreed.  Season 1 was good but season 2 it became a great show.  Roman is hilarious and cousin Greg cracks me up but I think Tom has to be my favorite.  Shit finally got real for him and Shiv at the end there.  And Kendall's power move at the end was wild.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    About halfway through the first season. Absolutely love it. Didn't think I would. They manage to toe a fine line between really intense drama and comedy quite nicely. Big fan. Tom and Greg's story line is fucking hilarious thus far. 

Bummed that I saw they probably won't be able to start filming 3 until the end of this year. So that season might not come out for over 12 months. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    About halfway through the first season. Absolutely love it. Didn't think I would. They manage to toe a fine line between really intense drama and comedy quite nicely. Big fan. Tom and Greg's story line is fucking hilarious thus far. 

Bummed that I saw they probably won't be able to start filming 3 until the end of this year. So that season might not come out for over 12 months. 
    2nd season is even better in my opinion.  Lots of really good characters.  Imagine there will be a lot of shows delayed because of COVID.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    edited September 2020
    Lots of laughs over the 1.5 seasons I watched but I tired of hating every single character.
    If memory serves there was not a single main character i didn't want to see a bus drive over, repeatedly

There have been other shows where everyone has flaws but I struggled with this one.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Lots of laughs over the 1.5 seasons I watched but I tired of hating every single character.
    If memory serves there was not a single main character i didn't want to see a bus drive over, repeatedly

There have been other shows where everyone has flaws but I struggled with this one.
    I’m only 5 or 6 in but Tom and Greg seem likable, at least this far. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611

I’m only 5 or 6 in but Tom and Greg seem likable, at least this far. 
    Yeah, I think that'll change for you.  :lol:
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020
    Brian Cox is one of my favorite actors, so I watched the first episode. 

Rich people are still my least favorite people, though, so I never watched a second episode.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The acting is all really good and there is a lot of funny shit....but the people did bug me.  (And I've rooted for mobsters, killers, and drug dealers in shows before.)
    dankind said:

Rich people are still my least favorite people, though, so I never watched a second episode.
    Wow so your hatred runs so deep you cannot even watch a fictional tv show about them?! That level of commitment is impressive. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    This show hasn't been on my radar for some reason.  I'll have to check it out.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,734

They were about to start filming right before the pandemic.  Guessing season 3 won't be on until late next year...bummer.
    dankind said:

Wow so your hatred runs so deep you cannot even watch a fictional tv show about them?! That level of commitment is impressive. 
    Actually, I am quite incapable of hatred. It's an abundance of love that makes it difficult for me to watch a show such as Succession.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Actually, I am quite incapable of hatred. It's an abundance of love that makes it difficult for me to watch a show such as Succession.  
    You must watch a lot of Lifetime.   I mean how many shows on any channel have characters that are really likable in a real setting?
    pjhawks said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

You must watch a lot of Lifetime.   I mean how many shows on any channel have characters that are really likable in a real setting?
    It's always good to know who the misogynists are.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    pjhawks said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I think there is a definite difference between these different types of evil bastards.  Admittedly I rooted for drug dealers (Breaking Bad), killers (GoT), and mobsters (Sopranos) before but I also struggled with this.  Didn't attribute it directly to the obscenely rich vs. drug dealers, etc...but perhaps there is something there.

There was also, to me, a real absence of any light in the show...it grew weary watching a shitstorm rage on, endlessly.

My wife loves Shameless, but I cannot get into that one either.  It is funny when I watch portions...but some things just grate me.
    Succession ended up being one of them.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I watched it on someone's recommendation.  I binged Season 1. Then watched Season 2. I like it, it's different.  The characters are massively flawed, some actors I find interesting, it's definitely not celebrating ridiculous wealth. 

I was looking for Season 3, now I know to stop. It'll be airing when I can go outside again. 

njnancy said:
    I watched it on someone's recommendation.  I binged Season 1. Then watched Season 2. I like it, it's different.  The characters are massively flawed, some actors I find interesting, it's definitely not celebrating ridiculous wealth. 

I was looking for Season 3, now I know to stop. It'll be airing when I can go outside again. 

I’m highly entertained. Heading into the season 1 finale
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    pjhawks said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

It's always good to know who the misogynists are.
    How is that misogynist?  Lifetime shows/movies generally do not have characters that people are going to dislike like the characters you seem to so dislike on Succession.   If you are only going to watch shows with characters you like there aren't a lot of channels outside of Lifetime that may present those options to you. Am I wrong about that?   I mean even the most popular sitcoms of the day had characters there were unlikable. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Lot of Lacey Chabert on Lifetime. 

I can dig it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Lot of Lacey Chabert on Lifetime. 

I can dig it. 
    :lol:.    
    3 emmy's including best drama. Well deserved. Fucking awesome show. I'm halfway through 2 and I'm already saddened that I'm gonna have to wait over a year for more!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Best show on tv right now. Season 2’s ending was a masterpiece. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,811
    Agreed. My friend and I had several debates about it. But I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I won’t go into it any further. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Agreed. My friend and I had several debates about it. But I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I won’t go into it any further. 
    I would LOVE to talk about it. Most people I know have not seen the show. Just put ****SPOILER**** before your post so people know.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
     The Juggler said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I would LOVE to talk about it. Most people I know have not seen the show. Just put ****SPOILER**** before your post so people know.

I got whiplash too. The writing is deviously excellent. 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    amazing show!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    I'm going to start watching this. I caught bits and pieces before and it looks pretty good.

The first few minutes of the first episode reel you in with the guy pissing on the carpet :)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I'm going to start watching this. I caught bits and pieces before and it looks pretty good.

The first few minutes of the first episode reel you in with the guy pissing on the carpet :)
    You will not be disappointed. As others said, all characters are pretty much assholes, but the writing is fucking great. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited October 2020
    I LOOOOOOVE this show. I agree it's the best show running at the moment. Cannot wait for season 3.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata