Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

here is the neck. you can see the big fat v up near the headstock. you can also appreciate just how thick the rosewood is.
    That looks awesome!

I was just thinking about your Tele project this morning, M.  How's it coming along?
    Yeah man, what is the update??
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

here is the neck. you can see the big fat v up near the headstock. you can also appreciate just how thick the rosewood is.
    That looks awesome!

I was just thinking about your Tele project this morning, M.  How's it coming along?
    The update is that my sister had to self-quarantine for 3 weeks, so it's still not finished. The good news is that a buddy at the office (who's a guitarist & has built his own guitars in the past) has agreed to help me bring this project home (Finally!!) next week. So, I will be posting pictures and whatnot after I get a chance to play it (again, FINALLY!). It was moving along real fast, then hit snag after snag after snag. I'm bummed that she won't be able to help me wrap it up, but I'm excited to finish it and enjoy the guitar......before I move onto the next build. Yup---I've already picked out the next one & I should start that after New Year's.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

The update is that my sister had to self-quarantine for 3 weeks, so it's still not finished. The good news is that a buddy at the office (who's a guitarist & has built his own guitars in the past) has agreed to help me bring this project home (Finally!!) next week. So, I will be posting pictures and whatnot after I get a chance to play it (again, FINALLY!). It was moving along real fast, then hit snag after snag after snag. I'm bummed that she won't be able to help me wrap it up, but I'm excited to finish it and enjoy the guitar......before I move onto the next build. Yup---I've already picked out the next one & I should start that after New Year's.

Excellent!  Will look forward to pictures!  Maybe even some sounds bites or video!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

Excellent!  Will look forward to pictures!  Maybe even some sounds bites or video!
    I will definitely record some stuff! I'm working on a solo album right now, but I'm holding off on recording some things until the Tele is finished. Can't wait!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

I will definitely record some stuff! I'm working on a solo album right now, but I'm holding off on recording some things until the Tele is finished. Can't wait!

:plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i went by and visited the guitar again yesterday. pickups are in and it sounds great. he needs to do some aging on the the hardware, adjust the next, and a proper setup before being officially done with it. he said it will be ready for pickup on saturday. pics coming shortly.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

I would be SO chomping at the bit to bring 'er home!

brianlux said:

i was.

the action was really high on it so it was not the easiest thing to play. he just threw some strings on there to test the pickups and selector switch and see how everything looks all together as a unit. he needs to adjust the pickup height. he actually mounts the pickups to the body instead of to the pickguard. he feels that everything is a little more "stable" with the pickups mounted to the body. he wants to age the selector switch plate, knobs, and the saddles/ash tray metal thing. the neck pickup was aged by the guy at righteous sound, so he needs everything to match that pickup. also needs to put on some strap buttons and age them too. the neck has a small backbow in it right now so he needs to take off the neck to adjust that. he is also getting me a tweed case at his cost, so that will be nice to have as well.

brianlux said:

i was.

the action was really high on it so it was not the easiest thing to play. he just threw some strings on there to test the pickups and selector switch and see how everything looks all together as a unit. he needs to adjust the pickup height. he actually mounts the pickups to the body instead of to the pickguard. he feels that everything is a little more "stable" with the pickups mounted to the body. he wants to age the selector switch plate, knobs, and the saddles/ash tray metal thing. the neck pickup was aged by the guy at righteous sound, so he needs everything to match that pickup. also needs to put on some strap buttons and age them too. the neck has a small backbow in it right now so he needs to take off the neck to adjust that. he is also getting me a tweed case at his cost, so that will be nice to have as well.

As C. likes to say, "Patience is a virtue!"

Looks awesome, man!! My buddy at work helped me with the soldering. Now I just need to string it up & test it out tonight!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Looks awesome, man!! My buddy at work helped me with the soldering. Now I just need to string it up & test it out tonight!

It's looking great! 

mfc2006 said:
    duuude! that is so cool!!! hope she plays as good as she looks!!!

mfc2006 said:
    duuude! that is so cool!!! hope she plays as good as she looks!!!
    Me too!! I’ll know in a couple of hours!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    It sounds & plays great!! 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

FANtastic!  Congratulations!

awwww yeah!! looks awesome!

Glad it plays well! congratulations!!!!!

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mfc2006 said:
    She’s a beaut!!  Nice work, man!! 
    Thanks, everyone! Can’t wait to play it a lot more when we get back from a long weekend!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    i always liked that version of teles, les paul style switch at the top and independent volume and tone controls. that pickguard makes those things look badass.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    mfc2006 said:
    Nicely done! Going to try an arch top next?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I may do a Jag next with a bigsby. For now, I’ll just enjoy this one. Super fun project.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I may do a Jag next with a bigsby. For now, I’ll just enjoy this one. Super fun project.
    Jag with a Bigsby?

Edit: Actually, just Googled this setup. The conflicting styles are not as jarring as I thought they would be. More funky than fugly.

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Cool!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Jag with a Bigsby?

Edit: Actually, just Googled this setup. The conflicting styles are not as jarring as I thought they would be. More funky than fugly.

Yeah, it’s funky. I love the Jag tone & the bigsby on my Gretsch, so I figured why the hell not??
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Jag with a Bigsby?

Yeah, it’s funky. I love the Jag tone & the bigsby on my Gretsch, so I figured why the hell not??
    Because Bigsbys belong on Gretsches and Gibsons, you whacko! :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Jag with a Bigsby?

Because Bigsbys belong on Gretsches and Gibsons, you whacko! :lol:
    Not always!! Haha!! 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    oh man that jag with a bigsby looks super cool. i don't think ive ever seen that combo before but I am totally interested to see how that one would turn out. when i think of bigsby i think of les pauls and sgs, and teles, but could be super cool on an offset body. can't wait to see that bad boy!!

i picked up my tele build on saturday and i gotta say that it looks and plays incredibly. i could not be happier. since saturday i probably have put 10-12 hours on it. it has totally inspired me to pick up a guitar and just play, which is what i have been missing since the covid shutdown. the righteous sound Revelator pickups are killer and are not as bright as my bandmate's tele. his has lollars in his and it is almost too bright for my matchless and vintage marshall. the scatterwinding on the Revelator set definitely offsets the brightness somewhat. this thing has the best clean tones i have ever owned so i am super happy about that. with the volume knob cranked and the tone knob open it almost gets into les paul crunch territory. i will post some pics here when i get a few minutes. i am so happy i found this thread because it inspired me to finally get a "tele" even though it is not a proper fender. this one plays better than all of the "real" ones I have ever played.