Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dudeman said:
    This is how the addiction starts, you know?

:lol:

Ooooooh yeah! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i had a twitter exchange with brian fallon, the guy whose guitar i am basing my tele build on. i have been researching pickups and there are literally hundreds of options. i straight up asked him what pickups he uses and he responded right away and recommended luther lee '59 sound set, which they created specifically for him, and the Revolator set by a company called Righteous Sound. also, he said lollars are great. I guess i will look into those and see how i like them.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    i had a twitter exchange with brian fallon, the guy whose guitar i am basing my tele build on. i have been researching pickups and there are literally hundreds of options. i straight up asked him what pickups he uses and he responded right away and recommended luther lee '59 sound set, which they created specifically for him, and the Revolator set by a company called Righteous Sound. also, he said lollars are great. I guess i will look into those and see how i like them.

Very cool to have that exchange with Brian Fallon! 
    Wow- hundreds of pickup options- that makes it tough!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

Very cool to have that exchange with Brian Fallon! 
    Wow- hundreds of pickup options- that makes it tough!
    he basically said with a tele you really can't go wrong, but those are the three that he uses in most of his guitars. pretty cool of him to take 2 minutes out of his day to fire off a couple of replies.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    you guys talked me into it. i had a good month in July so I am going to have a decent commission check coming next month. over the weekend i commissioned a luthier to build me a custom tele, to my specs. it is going to be based on the 1962/63 specs. will have an alder body, rosewood fretboard, vintage style klusen tuners, era correct bridge, and will have a double bound body. the only thing out of the ordinary it will have is a slightly angled pickup selector switch. instead of going parallel to the knobs, the neck pickup spot will be slightly higher and easier to use. i just need to decide on the pickups and the color. i am down to candyapple red or lake placid blue. i am super excited.
    I can’t wait to see this!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I have Lollars in my tele.  An overwound bridge and a neck p90.  They sound great
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    we have hit a snag unfortunately. the builder cannot find a double bound body. for some reason there just aren't any available from his suppliers. the options now are find a non bound one, or wait it out, which could take weeks to months. i am not sure what i am going to do. there is one lake placid blue non bound body on ebay, and one single bound. i am trying to avoid the single bound because it would not be period correct.

static111 said:
    you guys talked me into it. i had a good month in July so I am going to have a decent commission check coming next month. over the weekend i commissioned a luthier to build me a custom tele, to my specs. it is going to be based on the 1962/63 specs. will have an alder body, rosewood fretboard, vintage style klusen tuners, era correct bridge, and will have a double bound body. the only thing out of the ordinary it will have is a slightly angled pickup selector switch. instead of going parallel to the knobs, the neck pickup spot will be slightly higher and easier to use. i just need to decide on the pickups and the color. i am down to candyapple red or lake placid blue. i am super excited.
    I can’t wait to see this!
    thanks! me neither, haha

static111 said:
    I have Lollars in my tele.  An overwound bridge and a neck p90.  They sound great
    i am leaning towards lollars now. the builder really believes in them, and my strat has them and i love the way that thing sounds. we are going to try the luther lee 59 sounds, but the lollars are the same price.

i found a place that has a double bound body and does professional nitro finishes and refinishes. and it is only about 2 hours from where i live. it will cost me about $500, which is only $100 over my planned budget for a double bound body, so i think i am going to do it if the builder does not have any other options.

only problem now is it is a 10-12 week wait for the finished body. if the builder could find a body reasonably quickly it was initially going to be about a 6 week wait for the finished guitar. oh well.

i found a place that has a double bound body and does professional nitro finishes and refinishes. and it is only about 2 hours from where i live. it will cost me about $500, which is only $100 over my planned budget for a double bound body, so i think i am going to do it if the builder does not have any other options.

only problem now is it is a 10-12 week wait for the finished body. if the builder could find a body reasonably quickly it was initially going to be about a 6 week wait for the finished guitar. oh well.

As C. often tells me, "patience is a virtue" (and she knows darned well it's one I'm short on :lol: )

In the long run though, I'm guessing you will be glad you held out for what you want!

brianlux said:

As C. often tells me, "patience is a virtue" (and she knows darned well it's one I'm short on :lol: )

In the long run though, I'm guessing you will be glad you held out for what you want!
    lol i am short on it too!

i heard from the builder today. he found a double bound body and bought it. he sent me pics and it has cream binding. it is supposed to look like an aged white. he sent me pics and i am kind of not digging it. he said he will have me look at it before he paints it, but he thinks i will like it. 

i asked how a white pickguard, like in the pics, is going to look with the cream binding. he said use a cream pickguard, which i do not love the idea since the guitar we are basing this off of has white binding and pickguard.

he said he will keep looking for white binding and will let me know. he said it is no problem for him if i do not want the cream. he will just build a new guitar with that body.

action shot of him working on the neck. you can see the big ass v shape near the headstock. it is going to flatten out near the 7th or 8th fret.

i found a guy selling a nitro finished lake placid blue alder tele body double bound on reverb last night. i contacted the builder this morning and he bought it for me, so he does not have to lacquer the other one he bought. this color is right, and the binding looks to be more white. i cannot wait to see it in person. 

i found a guy selling a nitro finished lake placid blue alder tele body double bound on reverb last night. i contacted the builder this morning and he bought it for me, so he does not have to lacquer the other one he bought. this color is right, and the binding looks to be more white. i cannot wait to see it in person. 

Beautiful color!  Love the double binding too!

edited August 2020
    brianlux said:

Beautiful color!  Love the double binding too!
    thanks man. the builder texted and said he is concerned that this may be poly and not nitro, but said it is hard to tell from the pics. he said it looks kind of thick to be nitro. will let you know. the saga continues, lol.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Still haven’t done the wiring yet, but I hope to wrap it up in the next week. Life has been very hectic (but good) lately. Hope you’re all doing well!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Still haven’t done the wiring yet, but I hope to wrap it up in the next week. Life has been very hectic (but good) lately. Hope you’re all doing well!
    glad to hear life is good. no rush on this project. you can always come back to it when things are not so busy. looking forward to seeing your progress once you get her all wired up. 

if it does not take too much time and energy, would you mind posting a few pics of how you do the wiring?

Thanks man!

hope you are doing well too!

just got an email from the builder. he is done with the neck and is starting in on relicing the body. he just wanted to send a quick update pic.

spoke with the builder a few days ago. he ordered in a set of the righteous sounds revelator set. he called and spoke with the guy directly. he used to work for lollar and branched off to do his own pickups. the builder ended up buying a set of revelators for my tele and then 2 different sets of strat pickups for his strat and a custom strat he is working on. will let you know how it sounds.

i went and "visited" the guitar about 10 days ago and the neck felt perfect. he had a bunch of blue tape on the body. i asked what the tape was for but he would not tell me saying "it is just a part of the process". I am guessing it is what ages the lacquer.

spoke with the builder a few days ago. he ordered in a set of the righteous sounds revelator set. he called and spoke with the guy directly. he used to work for lollar and branched off to do his own pickups. the builder ended up buying a set of revelators for my tele and then 2 different sets of strat pickups for his strat and a custom strat he is working on. will let you know how it sounds.

i went and "visited" the guitar about 10 days ago and the neck felt perfect. he had a bunch of blue tape on the body. i asked what the tape was for but he would not tell me saying "it is just a part of the process". I am guessing it is what ages the lacquer.

This will be so cool to see when done!

here is the neck. you can see the big fat v up near the headstock. you can also appreciate just how thick the rosewood is.

here is the neck. you can see the big fat v up near the headstock. you can also appreciate just how thick the rosewood is.

Lookin' good!  :plus_one:

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

That looks awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

I was just thinking about your Tele project this morning, M.  How's it coming along?

mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!
    Thank you!! Also, thanks Brian!!

He posted on facebook that the pickups came in today. He did not notify me though, hahaha... here is the pic he posted. looks like he needs to age the pickguard a bit, but looking pretty cool to me.

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

I was just thinking about your Tele project this morning, M.  How's it coming along?
    Yeah man, what is the update??

mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

He posted on facebook that the pickups came in today. He did not notify me though, hahaha... here is the pic he posted. looks like he needs to age the pickguard a bit, but looking pretty cool to me.

As they say, righteous:smiley:

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

That looks awesome!

As they say, righteous:smiley:
    we will definitely see!! haha. this one is the 85th one he has done. number 83 and 84 were completed this week so maybe in a week or two this one will be done.