Options

You May Only Have One: Cheese or Ice Cream

123457»

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Cheese
    I did the grocery shopping for more than three months for my parents earlier in the pandemic. Each week my dad would email me a shopping list and I would do my best to get everything and then drop it at their door. One day, about 2.5 months in, I cracked. I said to him “what is WRONG with you people? You haven’t asked me to buy you cheese this whole time!” (maybe not the most tactful approach). He said “we had a block of cheese when this all started and we haven’t finished yet”.

I just shook my head. Unless it was a block the size of a small office building, I would have been through it by the end of the first month. Each week I buy several blocks of cheese, just for myself. 
    Okay, this made me laugh. Your cheese consumption did not come from your parents. 

K is lactose intolerant but we were told she may be able to tolerate provolone. (She found no reasonable dairy free substitute in cheese.) During lockdown, I was shopping once a month. We were buying 8 packs of provolone at a time. It is just now she informed me she's down to her last pack. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Cheese
    I cannot wait until I am comfortable speaking of lockdown in the past tense.  (We are still living it)

Think I'm gonna do a grilled chee for lunch.  
    Grilled Chee smashes Ice Cream every day of the week.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Please do not make me choose.
    I cannot wait until I am comfortable speaking of lockdown in the past tense.  (We are still living it)

Think I'm gonna do a grilled chee for lunch.  
    Grilled Chee smashes Ice Cream every day of the week.
    I use Beecher's exclusively for grilled cheese. Blow-your-balls-off good! There's always a wedge of their Flagship in the fridge, here. Purchased through Costco.

https://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Cheese
    Need to get some of that!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Cheese
    I do not think I have mentioned just how often I make grilled cheese sandwiches, and their near cousin cheese quesadillas. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Cheese
    Thing of beauty.  Can be done simply or in creative fashion....and pretty much always is good.
    (The quesadilla as well as the Grilled Chee)
  • Options
    Cheese
    Toasted cheese or grilled cheese?

Is it a location thing, a technical term difference or both? 

When K was lil, I called it toasty cheese and my mother-in-law yelled at me. 

Set me straight, please. Recipes welcome. 
  • Options
    Cheese
    I cheated and made a burger that was extra cheesey.
    Didn't have the right bread for grilled cheese.
    I've never heard it called toasted or toasty cheese but I would assume it is the same thing?

Cabot Seriously Sharp, wegmans shredded sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and a slice of American cheese-substance....on a burger.
    Scraped the bits of shredded cheese that fell off as I sprinkled over the burger and burned up beautifully on the cast iron onto the Kaiser roll topper.  Added some onions and orange peppers....kosher dills...lettuce....only missing a tomato.
    Best part is the cheese

How in the hell can ice cream do this?

Serve is to the ice cream folks.  
    What does ice cream take to a totally different level?
  • Options
    Cheese
    Looks yummy. 

I find mozzarella too bland for pretty much anything beyond pizza and lasagna, but I'm down with the two cheddars.

I looked up toasted cheese and the internet, which is never wrong, says that's what you get when you make an open faced cheese sandwich in a toaster oven or under a broiler. Grilled cheese is when you butter the outsides of the bread and have the cheese on the inside. Mmmmmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,227
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    Do I get to choose my cell mates? =)

I think I’d pick something decadent along the lines of Ben and Jerry’s...like their brownie core ice cream. Or my version of fantasy cookies and cream where the ratio is 1:1. 

(great, all I have on hand at the moment are frozen yogurt bars :angry: )
    I've never been to prison, but my guess is that no-- you may not choose your cell mates.  We have a selection of the previously banned who will be surprise sprinkled in amongst the cheese/ice cream population.  (Please do not get my thread shut down with that comment.) 

Chocolate chip, because it reminds me of birthday parties with my grandma-ma.  (Yes, I know I went ice cream.
    It is accomplished. 
    My reason for ice cream in jail is because sometimes cheese calls for good tooth brushing.  I don't know if I can brush my teeth whenever I want in jail.  So, with that possibility, I went ice cream.  I don't want to be stuck with cheese breath.  
    So you’re more worried about halitosis than cavities/tooth decay?
    Yes. :smiley:

I would also hope that I wouldn't be given a long incarceration, thus bad breath being a more realistic immediate concern over tooth decay. 
    I would prefer bad breath to keep the other inmates at bay; in fact, they might prefer it if all your teeth fell out. Less obstacles. 
    Spoken like a man with some prison "social" interaction expertise.
    Fun thing you never want to learn/realize on the fly: Most municipalities, including mighty metropolises such as New York City, close down, save for essential services, over the weekend. So, say you’ve already had a bad Friday night because you’ve had your head rammed into a fire hydrant because you knocked a guy off his barstool because he was openly bullying another customer on account of  that customer’s shape and you’d had enough of watching the offended customer disintegrate,  overwhelmed by shame and grief. If you just so happen to get apprehended and incarcerated for these crimes on that incredibly rotten Friday night, nothing about your criminal ass is an essential service. So you get to spend the next THREE NIGHTS in the pokey until you make bail on Monday, which can take quite a bit of time considering all the other weekend rowdies waiting along with you, sometimes until Tuesday. 

All that being said, I really miss Milano’s. 
    Everyone is posting about Milano cookies in response to this, but my first thought was Milano's bar in NYC - total dive bar that opens at 9:00am. Barfly Mecca!!

This girl gets it. 
    And I got it too, but as I am want to do, turned it around.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Cheese
    I did the grocery shopping for more than three months for my parents earlier in the pandemic. Each week my dad would email me a shopping list and I would do my best to get everything and then drop it at their door. One day, about 2.5 months in, I cracked. I said to him “what is WRONG with you people? You haven’t asked me to buy you cheese this whole time!” (maybe not the most tactful approach). He said “we had a block of cheese when this all started and we haven’t finished yet”.

I just shook my head. Unless it was a block the size of a small office building, I would have been through it by the end of the first month. Each week I buy several blocks of cheese, just for myself. 
    F***ing hilarious!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    I cheated and made a burger that was extra cheesey.
    Didn't have the right bread for grilled cheese.
    I've never heard it called toasted or toasty cheese but I would assume it is the same thing?

Cabot Seriously Sharp, wegmans shredded sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and a slice of American cheese-substance....on a burger.
    Scraped the bits of shredded cheese that fell off as I sprinkled over the burger and burned up beautifully on the cast iron onto the Kaiser roll topper.  Added some onions and orange peppers....kosher dills...lettuce....only missing a tomato.
    Best part is the cheese

How in the hell can ice cream do this?

Serve is to the ice cream folks.  
    What does ice cream take to a totally different level?
    That burger looks absolutely delicious. But challenge accepted. 

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Please do not make me choose.
    Those are things of beauty. First and last ones for me, please. 
  • Options
    Cheese
    Hahahaha. 
    Did you make those?

They do look special.
  • Options
    Cheese
    hedonist said:
    Those are things of beauty. First and last ones for me, please. 
    I'll take the middle one!
  • Options
    I can’t take credit for those milkshakes. They are from a place called Black Tap. Known for their outrageous ice cream concoctions. These are only a few. If you google them you will see their whole collection in all its glory. I have eaten there. Quite delicious. I was going to post the $1000 sundae from Serendipity but it doesn’t even look as good as these. 
  • Options
    Cheese
    Those are not for me. Too much goo. 
  • Options
    Cheese
    @GlowGirl genius
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    edited August 2020
    Cheese
    I will say a milkshake does taste good with booze in it.  Not so sure about cheese.  Still not enough for me to put ice cream ahead of cheese.  I can still garnish my Bloody Mary with cheese.  (Btw those are strings of cheese, not garbage).

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    I will say a milkshake goes taste good with booze in it.  Not so sure about cheese.  Still not enough for me to put ice cream ahead of cheese.  I can still garnish my Bloody Mary with cheese.  (Btw those are strings of cheese, not garbage).

I love a good Bloody Mary. Extra spicy with horseradish, Worcestershire, pepper, extra olives - all the good stuff. Never had cheese on mine but did have one once with a lobster claw garnish. It was delicious. 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Cheese
    GlowGirl said:
    I will say a milkshake goes taste good with booze in it.  Not so sure about cheese.  Still not enough for me to put ice cream ahead of cheese.  I can still garnish my Bloody Mary with cheese.  (Btw those are strings of cheese, not garbage).

I love a good Bloody Mary. Extra spicy with horseradish, Worcestershire, pepper, extra olives - all the good stuff. Never had cheese on mine but did have one once with a lobster claw garnish. It was delicious. 
    Wisconsin goes all out for them.  When we first moved to Milwaukee, I started a photo album of bloodies from different restaurants.  Here were a few of my favs.

Odd Uncle

Crown Mary

Bloody Masterpiece

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963
    Cheese
    Holy wowballs
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Wisconsin goes all out for them.  When we first moved to Milwaukee, I started a photo album of bloodies from different restaurants.  Here were a few of my favs.

Odd Uncle

Crown Mary

Bloody Masterpiece

I would drink all those Bloody Marys. They all look great.