***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

Comments

• Save WhoSave Who Posts: 292
    Just got tickets to Detroit.  Looking forward to it!
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I last saw them when they reunited in 2008. They played Roy Wilkins which holds about 5k, and tickets were still available at showtime. He saw a Star Tribune reporter/banner/something and went on a short rant about the paper, since it had written about all of the issues with the tour so far, him coming on stage late, refusing to come off the bus, etc. He even had the press passes rescinded before the show.

Fun fact: Also my first time seeing a $40 t-shirt.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Anyone here get the Core & Purple deluxe set re-issues? Thoughts?
    i just got both delivered today and looking forward to digging in.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941

I've listened to the core one.  My favourite part was the unplugged.  That should almost get it's own standalone release.  Maybe on vinyl for RSD or something.
    Zod said:

I've listened to the core one.  My favourite part was the unplugged.  That should almost get it's own standalone release.  Maybe on vinyl for RSD or something.
    I agree. I think there are bootlegs of it out now. 
    Zod said:

I agree. I think there are bootlegs of it out now. 
    I suppose the hard part is figuring out which bootleg is sourced from the boxset.  A friend of mine bought an unplugged bootleg vinyl and it was sourced from a vhs tape.  Even worse it had 2 second gaps between tracks, which means it was most likely sourced from an mp3 of the vhs.    An official version would be sweet.

btw I just heard the acoustic version of interstate love song from the purple boxset.  OMFG.  It's so good!

Nice!! I gotta get this thing open 
  • The live show from the Purple set is great, haven't checked out the demos yet but excited for the acoustic ILS. I just did the digital for the extras on this one since I have the MOV pressing it's a really good press. Unplugged and the demos on Core are worth picking the deluxe up for there too..
    I am wired and fading...
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Feeling Gutted that they had to cancel the acoustic tour because Jeff Gutt has a herniated disc. Also not encouraged that they're not trying to reschedule the dates and just refunding the tickets. This tour was a good opportunity to hear some of their deeper tracks. Hopefully they can reschedule after the Nickelback tour, which I'm sure will have the same greatest hits setlist.
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    I hope they reschedule it too, would love to see them in that type of show. Hope it's a full recovery for Jeff. The 2 tracks off the new disc I've been listening to a bit, looking forward to the album.
    I am wired and fading...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited February 2020
     new album Perdida out today. Very different approach for them. Very....mellow. I knew they were doing somewhat of an acoustic/laid back feel for this one, but there's freaking flute in at least 2 songs. one of them is a flute SOLO. 

I imagine putting this on the turntable, pouring a deep glass of red, sparking one up, and sinking into my couch. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

After two listens, there's nothing on this album that sounds like Stone Temple Pilots. It's an odd feeling. Jeff Gutt has no range. All the tracks seem to be the same tempo. Very bizarre record.
    edited February 2020
     new album Perdida out today. Very different approach for them. Very....mellow. I knew they were doing somewhat of an acoustic/laid back feel for this one, but there's freaking flute in at least 2 songs. one of them is a flute SOLO. 

I imagine putting this on the turntable, pouring a deep glass of red, sparking one up, and sinking into my couch. 

Doesn't sound like Jeff Gutt on the song with the flute solo (Years)...is that Rob DeLeo on vocals? I bought digital so I don't have the liner notes.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

Doesn't sound like Jeff Gutt on the song with the flute solo (Years)...is that Rob DeLeo on vocals? I bought digital so I don't have the liner notes.
    One of em’ sings on it. Can’t remember. Dig the album though. I hope they keep making records! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Just stumbled upon this little gem.  So for I'm digging Perdida.

you would be correct: Rob on vox. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2020

you would be correct: Rob on vox. 

Cool. Thanks! Interesting thing about the digital download, it lists the version of each song and the date it was mastered:

01 Fare Thee Well V2 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    02 Three Wishes V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    03 Perdida V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    04 I Didn't Know The Time V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    05 Years V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    06 She's My Queen V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    07 Miles Away V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    08 You Found Yourself V2 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    09 I Once Sat At Your Table V1 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p
    10 Sunburst V4 (Mastered) June 5 2019-p2p

Post edited by darthvedder on
    they are doing a PPV this friday night performing Core in its entirety. plus two never before heard recordings from 2011 and 2019 available on nugs. 

https://stonetemplepilots.com/stone-temple-pilots-to-perform-core-in-its-entirety-for-livestream-event-on-nugs-tv-july-31-live-audio-recordings-from-2011-2019-shows-available-now-on-nugs-net/
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

they are doing a PPV this friday night performing Core in its entirety. plus two never before heard recordings from 2011 and 2019 available on nugs. 

https://stonetemplepilots.com/stone-temple-pilots-to-perform-core-in-its-entirety-for-livestream-event-on-nugs-tv-july-31-live-audio-recordings-from-2011-2019-shows-available-now-on-nugs-net/

I wonder if economically speaking, the Perdida concert in the PPV setting would be beneficial to the band. I'd love it if they did one. Grabbed both the shows posted, great quality on the 2011 but if you're expecting a performance from Scott like the live show included in the Purple set you'll be disappointed. It was a solid reunion era performance for him though. Haven't listened to the 2019 yet
    I am wired and fading...
    Stream was well worth the $10 - I'd recommend it if you're on  the fence
    I am wired and fading...
    strange how this keeps happening. out of nowhere last night i have this inspiration to put on Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts' Blaster, then i see today it is the anniversary of the day he died. I keep having these thoughts to listen to dead artists i don't often listen to right around when their birthday or deathday is. 

maybe it's in my subconscious. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

new Weiland doc in the works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjBKSG0uZXU
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

new Weiland doc in the works:
    Thanks for sharing. I recently watched the Michael Hutchence documentary and found it tough to watch. I was a much bigger Weiland fan so I expect it to be even harder to watch, but I'm glad they're doing it.
    the biopic is called Paper Hearts, and is with the full cooperation of the estate, including unreleased Wieland music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited July 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ejNtck0ns

thanks to @LukinFan for posting this in another STP thread
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 320
    I still say this often, but I was fortunate to see STP four times, from 2000-2003, and Weiland was the greatest frontman that I have ever seen. Never seen someone command a stage like him.
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    clayton12 said:
    I still say this often, but I was fortunate to see STP four times, from 2000-2003, and Weiland was the greatest frontman that I have ever seen. Never seen someone command a stage like him.
    I’ve seen them several times with Scott also.  I couldn’t agree more.  He controlled the stage an audience like no one else I’ve ever seen.  I met him walking into a venue once, couldn’t have been a nicer guy.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
    clayton12 said:

I saw them twice in 2000 and once in 2009.   The two shows in 2000 were really really good.  One was at a theatre in Vancouver, and the 2nd one was the next night in Portland, OR headlining a metal festival (Tattoo The Earth).  We originally bought the Tattoo the Earth tickets because it was the closest date, and even back then, we're like, we better go in case we can't in the future.  We'd also missed the '96 show in Vancouver because it got cancelled due to the blizzard.  Also not sure how STP got added on the end of a metal festival, but it was pretty fun.

Then we saw them play our small local arena in 2009.    The show was pretty lethargic.   Neither the band nor the crowd seemed into it :(

I did consider seeing the new lineup as they were supposed to do an acoustic show to support the new album at the Commodore, but they cancelled it, and I think that was a before covid cancellation. Not sure why? :(
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Zod said:
    clayton12 said:

I saw them twice in 2000 and once in 2009.   The two shows in 2000 were really really good.  One was at a theatre in Vancouver, and the 2nd one was the next night in Portland, OR headlining a metal festival (Tattoo The Earth).  We originally bought the Tattoo the Earth tickets because it was the closest date, and even back then, we're like, we better go in case we can't in the future.  We'd also missed the '96 show in Vancouver because it got cancelled due to the blizzard.  Also not sure how STP got added on the end of a metal festival, but it was pretty fun.

Then we saw them play our small local arena in 2009.    The show was pretty lethargic.   Neither the band nor the crowd seemed into it :(

I did consider seeing the new lineup as they were supposed to do an acoustic show to support the new album at the Commodore, but they cancelled it, and I think that was a before covid cancellation. Not sure why? :(

that singer isnt scott but I felt he does justice to the music. saw them at sonic temple
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Zod said:
    clayton12 said:

I think that cancellation was because Jeff Gutt got sick or injured or something like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD