Options

***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    Zod said:
    clayton12 said:
    I still say this often, but I was fortunate to see STP four times, from 2000-2003, and Weiland was the greatest frontman that I have ever seen. Never seen someone command a stage like him.

I saw them twice in 2000 and once in 2009.   The two shows in 2000 were really really good.  One was at a theatre in Vancouver, and the 2nd one was the next night in Portland, OR headlining a metal festival (Tattoo The Earth).  We originally bought the Tattoo the Earth tickets because it was the closest date, and even back then, we're like, we better go in case we can't in the future.  We'd also missed the '96 show in Vancouver because it got cancelled due to the blizzard.  Also not sure how STP got added on the end of a metal festival, but it was pretty fun.

Then we saw them play our small local arena in 2009.    The show was pretty lethargic.   Neither the band nor the crowd seemed into it :(

I did consider seeing the new lineup as they were supposed to do an acoustic show to support the new album at the Commodore, but they cancelled it, and I think that was a before covid cancellation. Not sure why? :(
    I think that cancellation was because Jeff Gutt got sick or injured or something like that. 

Herniated disc...had to have surgery.

• Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    Yeah STP, like many other bands before and after, got lumped into the Nu-Metal shit. I saw them multiple times play on festival lineups with bands such as Linkin Park, Disturbed, and Staind. Couldnt have stuck out more, especially when playing "Creep", "Sour Girl", "Pretty Penny", etc.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    clayton12 said:
    Yeah STP, like many other bands before and after, got lumped into the Nu-Metal shit. I saw them multiple times play on festival lineups with bands such as Linkin Park, Disturbed, and Staind. Couldnt have stuck out more, especially when playing "Creep", "Sour Girl", "Pretty Penny", etc.
    yeah, I never understood those pairings. and they still do. I saw them most recently playing with Seether. WTF?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    clayton12 said:
    They didn't come on after numetal, I saw STP come on after Slayer :)
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    edited July 2021
    clayton12 said:
    I still say this often, but I was fortunate to see STP four times, from 2000-2003, and Weiland was the greatest frontman that I have ever seen. Never seen someone command a stage like him.
    Yep!  I got to see STP a few times.  Also, VR a few times.  I agree he was one of the best frontman/rock-voices of the last 30 years.
    Post edited by mr bungle on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Saw him 2x right up close, once with VR and once with STP and he was as good as it gets. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    I also saw VR live two times.  Obviously I'm biased towards PJ, but Weiland was pretty good.

It would be awesome if they released Libertad on vinyl.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Yeah, saw VR back in 2005? at the Pageant in St.Louis. They covered Negative Creep and I lost my hearing the rest of the night. Saw STP in 1994 and still rank that show up there with some of the best I've ever seen. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thoughts on the Tiny Music reissue? About to listen to the extras here shortly. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    Didn’t run through the extras but the actual remaster of the album sounds incredible.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Didn’t run through the extras but the actual remaster of the album sounds incredible.
    The second disc is AWESOME!! A couple of instrumentals, but the early versions really surprised me! Not as rough as I thought they would be. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I'm listening to STP's various b sides and unreleased stuff right now. Man, I love those songs. The ones that Eric leaked to an STP fansite after the band split the first time. Learning To Drive (also released as a Scott Weiland solo track on the Bugs soundtrack), Samba Nova (later released as a bonus track on their Self Titled record), About A Fool, Heed The Water Whisperer. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I'm listening to STP's various b sides and unreleased stuff right now. Man, I love those songs. The ones that Eric leaked to an STP fansite after the band split the first time. Learning To Drive (also released as a Scott Weiland solo track on the Bugs soundtrack), Samba Nova (later released as a bonus track on their Self Titled record), About A Fool, Heed The Water Whisperer. 

There was a fifth song in that lot called You Can't Drive Me Away that I think is one of the best songs they've ever done. It was released on one of the True Blood soundtracks.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

There was a fifth song in that lot called You Can't Drive Me Away that I think is one of the best songs they've ever done. It was released on one of the True Blood soundtracks.
    Just came back to mention this one. Incredible tune.
  • Options

yes, forgot about that one. great tune. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I wonder if they'll do reissues of No. 4 and Shangri-La Dee Da like they did the first three albums. Since these tracks supposedly came from that era, they might be included.
  • Options

I wonder if they'll do reissues of No. 4 and Shangri-La Dee Da like they did the first three albums. Since these tracks supposedly came from that era, they might be included.
    I can't imagine they'd stop with the reissues. they seem to be all over them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 307
    Would love a 12 Bar Blues vinyl reissue.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    joe159 said:

It's happening for RSD this year!

Also a digital rerelease in May with bonus tracks!

Post edited by darthvedder on
  • Options
    joe159 said:

It's happening for RSD this year!

Also a digital rerelease in May with bonus tracks!

Pumped about this! 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    Any good? Mellow?
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Any good? Mellow?
    It's great imo. I guess mellowing? It seemed pretty experimental at the time, definitely different from an STP album. I can remember buying the CD when it came out in 97 or 98, was in steady rotation for a long time.
  • Options
    It’s a great record - not well received at the time it was released though. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ok. May grab it if I see it. Thx
  • Options
    it's fantastic. you can really hear his Bowie obsession in much of his solo work. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2023
  • Options
    I only recently found out that Sheryl Crow plays accordion on Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down.
  • Options
    RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    I only recently found out that Sheryl Crow plays accordion on Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down.

No kidding, Scott wrote Days of the Week for her but she wasn't feeling it so the song got recorded for Shangri La Dee Da instead.
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    Sweet. Interesting. Like way ahead of it's time back then. Yet does have that Bowie vibe. Super cool.