I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

your next two should be a farewell to kings and hemishperes.

For sure!  Hemispheres is awesome!
    Better than Presto and Roll the Bones???  Never!!!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

its about era. Those 3 can be seen as a series of epic titles given the intricacies of the 3.

they have time to move on up and through PW and MP, which the early stuff is more readily available as Anniversary editions. later titles are harder to come by being out of print..... not that they cant be had for a price...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited July 2020

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

I'm not very familiar with those but from what Mickey posted, looks like the vinyl is out of my range!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

I'm not very familiar with those but from what Mickey posted, looks like the vinyl is out of my range!
    89 and 90 respectively....

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

Tongue in cheek.  I suppose Rush die hards may like them, but I thought they were mediocre at best records.  I did seem them on both tours and they were great, of course. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

Tongue in cheek.  I suppose Rush die hards may like them, but I thought they were mediocre at best records.  I did seem them on both tours and they were great, of course. 
    well , a tour is a different animal altogether even in support of a new record.....

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    My first Rush album

Definitely mediocre and I am a Rush diehard. Test for Echo in 96 was a far better album than those 2
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900

Siamese Dream was one of the first LPs I bought when I started getting into records, around 2012 or so.  Love that album.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2020
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged
    Foo Fighters - Wasting Light 
    Dashboard Confesstional - The Places...VMP release.

Alcohol may have been involved. And sorry for the lack of pics..I know it's much sexier to take photos.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

Alcohol may have been involved. And sorry for the lack of pics..I know it's much sexier to take photos.
    the AIC sounds great..... the jar of flies is the sap combo right? side 4 is a killer etching....

mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

the AIC sounds great..... the jar of flies is the sap combo right? side 4 is a killer etching....
    AIC is great, but don't sleep on Wasting Light.  That's the album that the Foos really put it together for the first time.  It's excellent end to end and it was recorded in pure analog.  Couple that with 45RPM and you have the best of both worlds..  A great rock album that is high quality analog.  That's oh so rare. 
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

AIC is great, but don't sleep on Wasting Light.  That's the album that the Foos really put it together for the first time.  It's excellent end to end and it was recorded in pure analog.  Couple that with 45RPM and you have the best of both worlds..  A great rock album that is high quality analog.  That's oh so rare. 
    Wasting Light is great. I agree, the all analog feel and having Butch Vig on as producer was really cool and added an element of nostalgia, as did having Krist play bass on I Should Have Known. The quality is top notch front to back and the songs are hard hitting but also easy to listen to with great melodies and hooks. Some cool instrumentation and guest vocal spots sprinkled in for good measure and recording in Dave's garage all added together made for one of my favorite rock records of the past decade. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

other than radio play , I haven't dived into foos...

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

I personally think their albums are a bit thin.  Color and the Shape is good, but after that, I always find myself liking a handful of songs, but not the whole thing.  Wasting Light is different to me.  So really I only have two records, that one and Greatest Hits.  I thought Sonic Highways and Concrete and Steel were straight up poor records (their most recent after Wasting Light).  But I think Grohl is a great guy and I always catch their shows.  They are a blast and the Foos really let it rip live.  Very different than a PJ show.  
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

I personally think their albums are a bit thin.  Color and the Shape is good, but after that, I always find myself liking a handful of songs, but not the whole thing.  Wasting Light is different to me.  So really I only have two records, that one and Greatest Hits.  I thought Sonic Highways and Concrete and Steel were straight up poor records (their most recent after Wasting Light).  But I think Grohl is a great guy and I always catch their shows.  They are a blast and the Foos really let it rip live.  Very different than a PJ show.  
    I think the low end is much more pronounced on Wasting Light and that makes it a more well rounded sound. The earlier albums are thinner sounding for sure. I thought Sonic Highways was a cool concept but its difficult to make one cohesive album of songs recorded all over the place about those specific places so it was kind of a hodgepodge of sorts with some highs and lows. Concrete and Gold just seemed all over the place to me. You had Run, which I really liked but some of the others had some weird tempo or melodic choices. Their shows are very different from PJ in that the setlists are usually pretty hit-song heavy and don't vary as much between shows but what they lack in those departments they make up for with enthusiasm, energy, and personality. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

I think the low end is much more pronounced on Wasting Light and that makes it a more well rounded sound. The earlier albums are thinner sounding for sure. I thought Sonic Highways was a cool concept but its difficult to make one cohesive album of songs recorded all over the place about those specific places so it was kind of a hodgepodge of sorts with some highs and lows. Concrete and Gold just seemed all over the place to me. You had Run, which I really liked but some of the others had some weird tempo or melodic choices. Their shows are very different from PJ in that the setlists are usually pretty hit-song heavy and don't vary as much between shows but what they lack in those departments they make up for with enthusiasm, energy, and personality. 
    Yeah I like the emotional waves of a PJ show.. rocker, to a mellow tune, to a mid tempo gem like I Am Mine.  Foos are just full tilt the whole time.  
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

Yeah I like the emotional waves of a PJ show.. rocker, to a mellow tune, to a mid tempo gem like I Am Mine.  Foos are just full tilt the whole time.  
    columbus 2010 illustrates this idea very well.

mickeyrat said:
    Gibson said:
    Jar of Flies (2010)
    AIC Unplugged

Correct :)
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've seen Foo Fighters live 3 times I think. My complaint is that I find Dave screams too much over parts I'd like to hear him actually sing properly.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    edited July 2020
    I've seen Foo Fighters live 3 times I think. My complaint is that I find Dave screams too much over parts I'd like to hear him actually sing properly.
    "Thanks for coming out. We are the FOO FIGHWOOOOOAAAAHHHHALLLLRRRRIIIGGGHHHTTTTT!!!"

Every single song. Every. Single. Show.

Gibson said:
    "Thanks for coming out. We are the FOO FIGHWOOOOOAAAAHHHHALLLLRRRRIIIGGGHHHTTTTT!!!"

Every single song. Every. Single. Show.
    You forgot 'fuck' in there.  
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    A random stack of records and shitty little turntable to use in small town New Zealand. 7 Seconds and Massey Hall found at a record shop. Still no gigaton... sadly. Who wants to send me a copy in NZ😉... some excellent scores lately from you folks.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    20th Anniversary reissue of Tom McRae’s fantastic debut album

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Vinyl Me Please send me 2 albums.  Dejstil, which I already have and a Continuum album.  I didn't realize that they were sending me the White Stripes album.  I figure I'll let them send whatever.  

I guess I need to pay attention more...
    Vinyl Me Please send me 2 albums.  Dejstil, which I already have and a Continuum album.  I didn't realize that they were sending me the White Stripes album.  I figure I'll let them send whatever.  

You wanna sell that Destijl? I wouldn't mind the swirl version

De Stijl was June's release. Its production and delivery were delayed due to COVID (I think TMR still made the records.) Mayer was July. 
    Mine both arrived on the same day too. 

(I already have Continuum, and switched mine out for T-Pain.. I do NOT regret it.)

Gibson said:

De Stijl was June's release. Its production and delivery were delayed due to COVID (I think TMR still made the records.) Mayer was July. 
    Mine both arrived on the same day too. 

(I already have Continuum, and switched mine out for T-Pain.. I do NOT regret it.)
    I don't have it so I will give it a listen.
    mrussel1 said:

You wanna sell that Destijl? I wouldn't mind the swirl version
    Tradesies?