Faith No More

Comments

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:
    FYI there’s a live nation mobile app presale going on. I grabbed a ticket for $77 after fees to the Mansfield, MA show. 

Now I hold my breath hoping that Korn headlines so I can beat the crowd out of there. 
    People keep shitting on Korn, but I have seen them 3 times and they were good. 

Granted, they co-headlined and I went for the other bands (Rob Zombie, AIC and one festival) but my people love them. I'd say to give them a try live. 
    They were always good when I saw them ages ago. A lot of music from that era just hasn't held up well for me. 

I'm sure they are solid musicians and put on a "good" show.  I just don't like there music/songs very much.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mr bungle said:
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:
    FYI there’s a live nation mobile app presale going on. I grabbed a ticket for $77 after fees to the Mansfield, MA show. 

Now I hold my breath hoping that Korn headlines so I can beat the crowd out of there. 

Granted, they co-headlined and I went for the other bands (Rob Zombie, AIC and one festival) but my people love them. I'd say to give them a try live. 
    They were always good when I saw them ages ago. A lot of music from that era just hasn't held up well for me. 

I'm sure they are solid musicians and put on a "good" show.  I just don't like there music/songs very much.
    Same. I'm sure I have some tracks on mixtapes people made for me back in the day, but I never got really got into their sound. And I'm definitely not paying the hefty prices that having them on the bill has resulted in.

I had awesome seats to FNM and Refused at the pavilion in in Boston 2015, and they were less than half the price of comparable tickets at the second worst venue in the region (HOB still gets my vote for No. 1). If I can find fire-sale tix on CL around the date of the show and FNM is playing BEFORE Korn, I'll go to Great Woods. Or I might just look for fire-sale tix at Barclays and make a weekend out of it in the old hood.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    mr bungle said:
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:

Same. I'm sure I have some tracks on mixtapes people made for me back in the day, but I never got really got into their sound. And I'm definitely not paying the hefty prices that having them on the bill has resulted in.

I had awesome seats to FNM and Refused at the pavilion in in Boston 2015, and they were less than half the price of comparable tickets at the second worst venue in the region (HOB still gets my vote for No. 1). If I can find fire-sale tix on CL around the date of the show and FNM is playing BEFORE Korn, I'll go to Great Woods. Or I might just look for fire-sale tix at Barclays and make a weekend out of it in the old hood.

How great was that setlist at the Pavilion?

If I was going to write a dream FNM set, that may have been it... maybe swap out Easy & Epic for King for a Day, but otherwise... that was as good as it gets.

Until I got my hands on that $77 ticket today, I was more than content to let that be my last impression of FNM live.

dankind said:
    mr bungle said:
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:

If I was going to write a dream FNM set, that may have been it... maybe swap out Easy & Epic for King for a Day, but otherwise... that was as good as it gets.

Until I got my hands on that $77 ticket today, I was more than content to let that be my last impression of FNM live.

That was a great show, although the first Brooklyn 2010 show might edge it out for me. That was fucking otherworldly.

I actually love the janky old pavilion.

Weird how it's becoming less and less out of the way as the city expands. Back in the day, I remember getting dinner at Barking Crab and then walking through a wasteland for a good 10 or 15 minutes to get to a show at the pavilion. Now, the whole area is hopping out that way.

I think I preferred the wasteland, but I still love the venue.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mr bungle said:
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:

That was a great show, although the first Brooklyn 2010 show might edge it out for me. That was fucking otherworldly.

Weird how it's becoming less and less out of the way as the city expands. Back in the day, I remember getting dinner at Barking Crab and then walking through a wasteland for a good 10 or 15 minutes to get to a show at the pavilion. Now, the whole area is hopping out that way.

My wife has a parking pass for the garage across from Harpoon, so yeah, I don't mind the Pavilion (I'll take it over HOB or Great Woods, that's for sure).

I caught the 2010 Philly show, that was great too, but that 2015 setlist had Everything's Ruined  and A Small Victory (both were a first for me, despite that being my 5th FNM show going as far back as '95)... Not to mention they opened w/ The Real Thing & played Matador, my favorite off the new album.

If they hadn't scratched RV, it would have been perfection.

edited February 2020
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mr bungle said:
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:

My wife has a parking pass for the garage across from Harpoon, so yeah, I don't mind the Pavilion (I'll take it over HOB or Great Woods, that's for sure).

I caught the 2010 Philly show, that was great too, but that 2015 setlist had Everything's Ruined  and A Small Victory (both were a first for me, despite that being my 5th FNM show going as far back as '95)... Not to mention they opened w/ The Real Thing & played Matador, my favorite off the new album.

I did back-to-back shows in Orlando (The Edge) and St. Pete (Jannus Landing) back in 1995. I think those were the best performances I've seen by the band.

Some asshole dove into the crowd from the balcony (or mezzanine?) at The Edge at the opening of "Caffeine" and broke my nose in the process. I threw him on the ground face first, blew a bunch of bloody snot all over him and kicked his ribs in a good five or six times with my steel-toes before heading to the bathroom to see if I needed a doctor. It didn't look pretty, but I crammed a bunch of toilet paper up my nose and was back out before the song was finished.

I went to the Jannus show the next night looking like a fucking corpse.

I did see a doctor who offered to break my nose all over again so that he could reset it. I said something to the effect of, "No thanks, I've been ugly my whole life; I'll get used to it." 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mr bungle said:
    pjl44 said:
    deadendp said:

I did back-to-back shows in Orlando (The Edge) and St. Pete (Jannus Landing) back in 1995. I think those were the best performances I've seen by the band.

Some asshole dove into the crowd from the balcony (or mezzanine?) at The Edge at the opening of "Caffeine" and broke my nose in the process. I threw him on the ground face first, blew a bunch of bloody snot all over him and kicked his ribs in a good five or six times with my steel-toes before heading to the bathroom to see if I needed a doctor. It didn't look pretty, but I crammed a bunch of toilet paper up my nose and was back out before the song was finished.

I went to the Jannus show the next night looking like a fucking corpse.

I did see a doctor who offered to break my nose all over again so that he could reset it. I said something to the effect of, "No thanks, I've been ugly my whole life; I'll get used to it." 

That was probably the 1st tour I caught too, I saw them at Avalon in May of '95 - unbefuckingleivable... I miss that venue so much.

What I would give to hear Jizzlobber again.

• I remember FNM having beef with RHCP like 20 years ago, which is why I never really gave them a chance. Seems silly now but that's what it was. What album should I listen to? 
    I'd start with Angel Dust and King For A Day Fool For A Lifetime.  Both are masterpieces IMO.  Album Of The Year, Sol Invictus and The Real Thing are great also.. you can't go wrong.  If you dicide you dig them, go back to pre-Patton era with We Care A Lot for a history lesson
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Exactly what Mr Bungle said
  • IMO the three album run from The Real Thing -> Angeldust -> King For a Day is like nothing any other band has done.

I don't skip a single track on any of those.

Their other albums are also strong but those 3 are the gold standard for me.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

IMO the three album run from The Real Thing -> Angeldust -> King For a Day is like nothing any other band has done.

Did learning how the band feels about Falling to Pieces change your perception of the song?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • IMO the three album run from The Real Thing -> Angeldust -> King For a Day is like nothing any other band has done.

Did learning how the band feels about Falling to Pieces change your perception of the song?

Not really... It's far from my favorite, but the nostalgia factor still endears me to it.

Not everything from the Real Thing has aged well* but it's still pretty f'ing impressive considering it came out 30 years ago.

*Underwater Love & Edge of the World for example... I love those songs, but they wouldn't go over too well nowadays. :D  

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

IMO the three album run from The Real Thing -> Angeldust -> King For a Day is like nothing any other band has done.

Not really... It's far from my favorite, but the nostalgia factor still endears me to it.

Not everything from the Real Thing has aged well* but it's still pretty f'ing impressive considering it came out 30 years ago.

*Underwater Love & Edge of the World for example... I love those songs, but they wouldn't go over too well nowadays. :D  

I remember listening to Edge of the World when that record was new, and my mother saying that she liked that song.
    Ummm, no, Ma, you don't.
    Why?
    Well, let me just tell ya that ya don't!

:lol:

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    edited February 2020

I remember listening to Edge of the World when that record was new, and my mother saying that she liked that song.
    Ummm, no, Ma, you don't.
    Why?
    Well, let me just tell ya that ya don't!

:lol:

"Just trust me on this one ma, ok?"

=)

edited June 2020
    Found out about this website today... they have a crap ton of FNM posters available for sale going back the last 10 years... I got an A/P from the Philly ‘10 show and one also for the second Boston show in 2015. The poster designs are only so so, but  I’m happy to get them now several years after the fact at such reasonable prices. 

The selection is also impressive. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    I've been on a huge FNM kick lately.  Mike Patton is absolutely incredible.  After listening to FNM for years i'm not sure how I never got around to listening to King For A Day.  I think I might like it more than Angel Dust
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,602
    ^^^I'm a slow to fnm fan too. I've yet to hear those two! Saw them last tour and wayyy back 1990 a couple times. 
    When their last album came out. I played it crazy...love cone of shame...
    Kind of nice to postpone hearing music from a band you like. I may listen to gigaton 20 years from now...or not.

NSL said:
    I've been on a huge FNM kick lately.  Mike Patton is absolutely incredible.  After listening to FNM for years i'm not sure how I never got around to listening to King For A Day.  I think I might like it more than Angel Dust
    I may have to agree with you!
    mr bungle said:
    NSL said:
    I may have to agree with you!
    AD has always been my #1 album, but in recent years, I’m coming around to thinking KFAD is better. 

I’m currently listening to the Podcast Croissant episode for side D, it’s an enjoyable listen for those who are really familiar with the album. 
    edited June 2020
    I think AD goes to heights of genius that KFAD almost hits... BUT, beginning to end i feel KFAD is the better album.  The range and diversity of the songs are incredible.  Not a weak song on the album IMO.  
    Post edited by mr bungle on
    I know what I am listening to this week.  In the past I never gave it footing near the level of AD....but will work it for a while and see if I can hear it differently.
    King for a Day ... more than holds its own against Angel Dust

FUCKER!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    King For A Day... is such a great album. I agree it's up definitely there with Angel Dust. I don't skip a single track on either of them.

Album Of The Year has some really great stuff too. If you only look at the Patton albums (I rarely play play the 2 Mosley records anymore), they've got a insanely strong 4 album run. For me, Sol Invictus is a little weaker than the rest.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    King For A Day... is such a great album. I agree it's up definitely there with Angel Dust. I don't skip a single track on either of them.

Album Of The Year has some really great stuff too. If you only look at the Patton albums (I rarely play play the 2 Mosley records anymore), they've got a insanely strong 4 album run. For me, Sol Invictus is a little weaker than the rest.
    There’s plenty on AOTY & SI that I like / love, and AOTY was definitely the stronger of the two... but neither can hold up to the lightning they bottled on the three prior albums. 
    AOTY has some of my top 20 FNM songs ( Ashes to Ashes, Mouth to Mouth, Last cup of sorrow.  While Sol Invictus is not their crowning jewel, it's hard for me to think of a band that has had a better comeback album with over a 15 year gap than this one. 
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    Matador and Motherfucker are 2 of my favorite FNM songs, but definitely the weaker album.  Still was surprised at well it turned out after so long between albums
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    edited July 2020
    NSL said:
    Matador and Motherfucker are 2 of my favorite FNM songs, but definitely the weaker album.  Still was surprised at well it turned out after so long between albums
    I totally agree with you on those two songs.  Throw in Superhero and that's my three favorites from the album.
    Post edited by mr bungle on
    ^^^Spinning this sucker now...superhero is...super
    cringy photos too. I want that book.