The National Football League

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Poncier said:
     He's probably not capable of starting now, but is certainly deserving of a spot on an NFL roster, because I'm sure he can be one of the better #2's in the game.
    Question is would he be willing to sign as a back up for short money? If I recall that was part of the issue previously, he wanted starter money.
    As the article above pointed out (I realize it could be paywalled if you don't get The Athletic)  this was only a known issue with his last contract - the Broncos made it part of any trade for him that he take a pay cut.  He already had a contract so he didn't want to do that.
    Nobody has negotiated with him since, that we know of.  
    So your question is valid ...if he signs as a backup, is he willing to do so in line with what the backup range of pay is....We don't know 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    The Broncos trade talks must be what I was recalling (Athletic is behind a pay wall), just recalled at one point there was a salary issue that prevented him going somewhere.
    Just read that back then they wanted him to take $7Mil a year, now what would he likely get for an offer? Doubt it'd be anything close to 7 Mil.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Poncier said:
    The Broncos trade talks must be what I was recalling (Athletic is behind a pay wall), just recalled at one point there was a salary issue that prevented him going somewhere.
    Just read that back then they wanted him to take $7Mil a year, now what would he likely get for an offer? Doubt it'd be anything close to 7 Mil.
    Agree that it probably would not.  That wasn't a time where he was pretty clearly a back up - they had trash at qb then.

I would think that he knows now he would sign as a back up and see where it went.

He could price himself out, but until he does it feels like that is an empty excuse.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I think if teams had actually thought about signing him, he would have settled for a backup job eventually.  I’m convinced there was collusion to keep him from “disrespecting” the flag.  
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    I am really proud to see Mahomes using his platform.

"Mahomes said prominent people in the franchise will meet next week to form and create a voter registration initiative to help educate people of their voting rights and encourage them to get involved in social issues where they live."

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Kap had 11 starts, with a 16-4 TD-INT ratio and almost 500 yards rushing at 6.8 ypa.  Doesn't seem neutralized or bad by those numbers.  Not to mention that was a terrible team around him.  His best days weren't in front of him, but he still had plenty of football left in him in 2017.  He's probably not capable of starting now, but is certainly deserving of a spot on an NFL roster, because I'm sure he can be one of the better #2's in the game.
    Everyone forgets that when Harbaugh left, Kap was done.  

Harbaugh got maximum effort and efficiency from him.  Harbaugh was a hell of a coach and I believe when he saw in 14 that he wasn't going to be able to take the team any further than what they had done, overachieving, he took off to Michigan and the 49ers stunk even more.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Kap had 11 starts, with a 16-4 TD-INT ratio and almost 500 yards rushing at 6.8 ypa.  Doesn't seem neutralized or bad by those numbers.  Not to mention that was a terrible team around him.  His best days weren't in front of him, but he still had plenty of football left in him in 2017.  He's probably not capable of starting now, but is certainly deserving of a spot on an NFL roster, because I'm sure he can be one of the better #2's in the game.

Harbaugh got maximum effort and efficiency from him.  Harbaugh was a hell of a coach and I believe when he saw in 14 that he wasn't going to be able to take the team any further than what they had done, overachieving, he took off to Michigan and the 49ers stunk even more.
    I remember the Dolphins/Niners game from 2016. Kap played well, almost bringing them back from a large deficit, but he sure looked like he didn't want to be there. Just from a body language standpoint. Might have been because they were in the midst of a horrible season. Lord knows Randy Moss and others have said "fuck it" when things go south. But it was weird. Again, he played fine. But I always looked back at that game as "Eh, he might better off a civil rights activist than a football player." He seems more into the latter. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I remember the Dolphins/Niners game from 2016. Kap played well, almost bringing them back from a large deficit, but he sure looked like he didn't want to be there. Just from a body language standpoint. Might have been because they were in the midst of a horrible season. Lord knows Randy Moss and others have said "fuck it" when things go south. But it was weird. Again, he played fine. But I always looked back at that game as "Eh, he might better off a civil rights activist than a football player." He seems more into the latter. 
    I remember Gino Smith coming in from backup for a game and same thing.  He did NOT want to be there and it showed.  Wasn't prepared.

Kap's deal was different though.  The team sucked and he had a HUGE weight on his shoulders.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

I remember Gino Smith coming in from backup for a game and same thing.  He did NOT want to be there and it showed.  Wasn't prepared.

Kap's deal was different though.  The team sucked and he had a HUGE weight on his shoulders.
    Yeah that's why I said it could be just a "fuck it" attitude during a tough season. But who knows, maybe that did factor into some GMs and scouts. Protest or no protest, if a team thought he could help, he would've been on a team in 2017. Patrick Mahomes could've knelt every game last year and it wouldn't have affected his employment a single bit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    To each their own.  We would have never known and don't know if he wasn't signed in 2017 because he was so persistent on being a starter.  I stand by my opinion and think he would have been a good asset to a team in need of a starting QB or a high-value backup.

He and team management hated each other.
    Honestly the management in place was a joke.
    Also....who would not find it easy to hate Captain Caveman?
    That guy is a douchelord's douchelord.

Captain Caveman?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited June 2020
    There are absolutely teams who could use Kaepernick. My fucking team could've used him last year, I know that. 

I also do not buy the "once Harbaugh left, he was done" argument. Is Jim Harbaugh Don Shula for Christ's sake? There are plenty of other capable OC's and head coaches who can find a way to utilize the guy's talent. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Captain Caveman?
    Yeah, Harbaugh.

There are absolutely teams who could use Kaepernick. My fucking team could've used him last year, I know that. 

I also do not buy the "once Harbaugh left, he was done" argument. Is Jim Harbaugh Don Shula for Christ's sake? There are plenty of other capable OC's and head coaches who can find a way to utilize the guy's talent. 
    He's known for getting a lot out of QB's and called a quarterback whisperer.

It's not hard to see that when he left the team really went to shit.  The whole Niners team overachieved with him there.
    edited June 2020
    For the Kaep haters....great breakdown of why as many as 20 teams might do well to consider him as backup.  Easily 10, maybe 15-20 who would be significantly better with him as backup.
    https://theathletic.com/1875148/2020/06/16/sando-best-fits-for-colin-kaepernick?source=user-shared-article
    edited June 2020

It's not hard to see that when he left the team really went to shit.  The whole Niners team overachieved with him there.
    He's hardly the only coach ever to be known for getting a lot out of his qb's. He had 3 good seasons as a coach in the NFL before hightailing it to Michigan. Big deal. 

And 5 years later the team was in the Super Bowl again without him. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,425
    edited June 2020

He's hardly the only coach ever to be known for getting a lot out of his qb's. He had 3 good seasons as a coach in the NFL before hightailing it to Michigan. Big deal. 

annnnd he's 0-5 vs OSU........
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

And the guy is still a giant dbag.....and Michigan sucks 
    Lol.
    mickeyrat said:

annnnd he's 1-5 vs OSU........

Actually, I think he's winless against the Buckeyes.  Did actually beat them one year?
    Jim Harbaugh blows!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mickeyrat said:

annnnd he's 1-5 vs OSU........

Actually, I think he's winless against the Buckeyes.  Did actually beat them one year?
    no. fucking wiki.....

you're right. he hasn't. Urban made him his bitch then handed the leash to Day...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited June 2020

Without Kap too.

EDIT: And with the better QB in Garapolo.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on

Without Kap too.

what other personnel changes were made in that time?

mickeyrat said:

Without Kap too.

Well if you are a coach you get to pick your staff so all of Harbaughs guys are gone. Only Rathman remained.

5 years for a football team can be a complete change.  The following years not so much.

The main thing that changed was Harbaugh leaving in my eyes.  Kap never passes the eye test for me.  The whole team overachieved under Harbaugh.
    mickeyrat said:

Without Kap too.

Well if you are a coach you get to pick your staff so all of Harbaughs guys are gone. Only Rathman remained.

5 years for a football team can be a complete change.  The following years not so much.

The main thing that changed was Harbaugh leaving in my eyes.  Kap never passes the eye test for me.  The whole team overachieved under Harbaugh.
    and he couldnt seem to have michigan even achieve much less overachieve......

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Without Kap too.

and he couldnt seem to have michigan even achieve much less overachieve......
    Not a good comparison.  
    Kap fell apart after he left, Harbaugh knew the team overachieved.
    The wheels just fell off.

It's like the Jets when they made it to two Championship games and lost.  Overachieved.
    mickeyrat said:

Without Kap too.

The main thing that changed was Harbaugh leaving in my eyes.  
    Joe Staley was the only 49er on the roster for both SB 47 and SB 54, so I'd say there was a tad more to it than Harbaugh leaving.
    Poncier said:
    mickeyrat said:

Without Kap too.

The main thing that changed was Harbaugh leaving in my eyes.  
    Joe Staley was the only 49er on the roster for both SB 47 and SB 54, so I'd say there was a tad more to it than Harbaugh leaving.
    Using one OL that stuck around isn't a very convincing argument.

1-The team overachieved.  It's ok to say that and to admit that.  Teams do it all the time.
    2-Harbaugh left.  He saw the ship going down and had zero desire to try and right it because of management he dealt with in the upstairs.
    3-Kap isn't that good, see #1.
    4-Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl.  I repeat, Trent Dilfer.
    My argument is that the whole team changed form one SB appearance to the next, it wasn't just Harbaugh leaving. So what Harbaugh did there (and Kaepernick as well) has nothing to with the current success. Mickey asked what personnel changes were made, and you said the main change was Harbaugh leaving...the entire team has changed. 52 of 53 players.