so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    It is light on the steak, just minus the fuckton of veggies.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Wobbie said:
    It really looks like this. just kinda brown and delicious.

Thats What She Said GIFs  Tenor

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    We live in prime land for this and my kid insists on Jersey mike for his steaks.  (They aren't bad, actually, but not as good as some of the others.  He loves then.)
    Jersey Mike s cheese steaks are awesome.  Our favorite in the area is a place called pat s in point pleasant boro.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Before and after John’s Roast Pork. 

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,442
    ^^^^that's what Im talking about!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Did you also get a roast pork?
    Did you also get a roast pork?
    Nah. I’ve had the roast pork from there, Dinic’s, Cosmi’s, and a few other places. They’re okay, but I really don’t get why people get on their high horse and claim that it’s the better of the famous Philly sandwiches and act like the cheesesteak is only for tourists and pagans. I prefer a cheesesteak by a wide margin. 
    Ha, no need to get spicy.  ;)
    I like the cheesesteak as well

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,697
    All the cheesesteak photos are making me hungry for one. Anyone know a good place to get one in downtown Manhattan. I know the diners around here have them but not sure I want to risk that. All suggestions welcome. 
    As shared above, for a chain the Jersey Mike's one is pretty good.  If you can't find a spot with a Philly transplant cooking up some magic you could likely find one of those close to you....
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    RiotZact said:

I've had Cheese Steaks from there too.

I remember I went with a friend of mine before a concert and when we got there I said: " Cheese Steak at A John's Roast Pork?"  It was VERY good.
    cutz said:
    RiotZact said:

I've had Cheese Steaks from there too.

I remember I went with a friend of mine before a concert and when we got there I said: " Cheese Steak at A John's Roast Pork?"  It was VERY good.
    One of my absolute favorites. The seeded rolls are off the chain. First time I had it was before a show as well. Temple of the Dog 2016. We actually went back the next day before driving home because A. They were so fucking good, and B. I had my first one with sharp provolone and wanted to try it with American. 
    Ha, no need to get spicy.  ;)
    I like the cheesesteak as well

Ha! Sorry, I knew you weren’t saying that you didn’t. I’ve been shocked at how many people I’ve met in the last 8 months since moving to Philly that have rolled their eyes when I say how much I love cheesesteaks. And usually the immediate answer is something along the lines of “The roast pork sandwich is way better and SHOULD be the more famous sandwich.” But you know that if the roast pork was the more well known sammie, all the hipsters would be begging everyone to try a cheesesteak. 
    Could be.  When I moved here in 12 we had fun trying lots of different steaks and that is when I discovered my love for the roast porks.  
    I still love a good cheesesteak and even though I do tell people who come in to try the pork I always get a steak as well.  Probably 50/50 on which one people say they prefer.

There are so many amazing sammies here you really can't go wrong.  The Philly area is far and away the most spectacular Sammie spot I've ever seen.
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    Holy shit. I’ve lived less than a half mile from this place for almost a year now and this is the first time I’ve tried it. My friends have been telling me forever that I would love it but I just kept putting it off. What a fucking idiot I am. This is one of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had. They call it the Uncle Tony and it has pepperoncini relish and house smoked wiz. My girlfriend’s chicken cutlet sandwich was amazing too. If you’re in the Philly area you have to try this place. 

Poe’s Sandwich Joint:

I have never heard of this place and those look amazing. Looks like the spot is kinda in a weird area. Will have to look into 

You gotta get the cheesesteak from Angelos. 
    Yeah, it’s in a bit of a weird place. I live in “Olde Kensington” which is super close to where Fishtown meets Northern Liberties, so it’s pretty well gentrified at this point. But it starts to get a little shady when you walk in the direction of Poe’s. Some great food spots in that area though. Sutton’s is literally right next door and they have awesome food and I know I’ve been recommended to a few other places within a few blocks that have great yelp reviews. It’s an interesting little area if you can get past some of the shadiness. 

Wait, Angelo’s the pizza place? I’m supposed to finally try their “upside down jawn” any day now. And now you’re telling me I have to go back for a cheesesteak. Looks like I’ll be frequenting South Philly quite a bit here soon. 
    An area of the city I am not familiar with. The wife grew up in Fishtown and I obviously know Northern Liberties well, just haven't really ventured to that area. I want this Poes though. Looks banging.

Yessir.  The cheesesteak is done up a bit, and on their crusty bread, but it is banging. The upside down jawn is good. I love their sandwiches though.

Yeah try it out and let us know what you think! I really love this little area. It’s benefited from how well Fishtown and Northern Liberties have done the past few decades, but it still has a personality very much it’s own. The people are extraordinarily neighborly and everyone is very committed to supporting local businesses and building up the neighborhood. 
    Could be.  When I moved here in 12 we had fun trying lots of different steaks and that is when I discovered my love for the roast porks.  
    I still love a good cheesesteak and even though I do tell people who come in to try the pork I always get a steak as well.  Probably 50/50 on which one people say they prefer.

There are so many amazing sammies here you really can't go wrong.  The Philly area is far and away the most spectacular Sammie spot I've ever seen.
    For sure. With the exception of my frequent pizza cravings I could probably get some type of sandwich in this city for every meal and never get board of it. And just for the record, I do enjoy a roast pork from time to time, my favorite is probably from Paesano's. 

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,442
    You have to like the bitter rabe to enjoy the roast pork, not everyone does. Completely different craving than a cheesesteak.
    Get_Right said:
    You have to like the bitter rabe to enjoy the roast pork, not everyone does. Completely different craving than a cheesesteak.
    I like the rabe for sure. Probably my favorite part. The spinach is good too if you’re at a place like John’s that doesn’t do rabe. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I love rabe. Never knew about long hots or rabe before Philly and I can’t imagine my life without either now 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    dankind said:
    I've gotta settle for Jersey Mike's up this way. Better than D'Angelo at least.
    We don't do cheesesteaks here, we do steak and cheese. Subtle difference. And don't go to a chain for a good one.
    If you ever find yourself in beautiful Revere, try one at Dimino's in Beachmont.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    We don't do cheesesteaks here, we do steak and cheese. Subtle difference. And don't go to a chain for a good one.
    If you ever find yourself in beautiful Revere, try one at Dimino's in Beachmont.
    Thanks. I do wind up in Revere from time to time. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Tony Lena's used to make a good one (I think Salem location). They may have closed down now, but was solid.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Tony Lena's used to make a good one (I think Salem location). They may have closed down now, but was solid.
    We have a Tony Lena’s in my town, I think. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    We have a Tony Lena’s in my town, I think. 
    I just asked my old neighbor and he said they still have a shop in Swampscott. They had some pretty good other subs as well
    Not exactly a cheesesteak but this was the special at Poe’s today. Steak, Genoa salami, mozzarella, marinara, basil, parmesan, and red pepper flakes. Really good. 

That sounds killer
    That sounds killer
    It was. This Poe’s place really does not miss. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited June 2020
    RiotZact said:
    That sounds killer
    I never heard of Poe’s until you mentioned it, now he got a bunch of press because he wont serve cops. Apparently it’s the dude that got arrested in that weed thing a couple years ago.
    RiotZact said:
    That sounds killer
    I never heard of Poe’s until you mentioned it, now he got a bunch of press because he wont serve cops. Apparently it’s the dude that got arrested in that weed thing a couple years ago.
    Haha yeah he’s certainly making waves! I didn’t know about the weed bust until you mentioned it.