George Floyd Protests

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Kris’s post isn’t as bad as it could have been.  He disagreed with bringing in troops.  He agreed that it was time to stop the looters.  Neither of these positions are that controversial.

We’ll never come together if we automatically disassociate with people we disagree with based on one post that isn’t that extreme.  

But he is referencing trumps speech monday night when trump spoke of peaceful protest and then deployed the military and fired gas canisters and rubber bullets into a peaceful crowd.

And the trump faithful are blatantly lying about what happened in the events around that speech. 

"The protesters were violent"
    If so, why did Barr walk thru the crowd with no protective gear minutes before the crowd was gassed?

"Tear gas was not used"
    A half truth to obfuscate a point is still lying. OC gas was admitted to being used (as was rubber bullets and smoke bombs)which has the same effect on the victim and is outlawed in acts of war.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Kris’s post isn’t as bad as it could have been.  He disagreed with bringing in troops.  He agreed that it was time to stop the looters.  Neither of these positions are that controversial.

We’ll never come together if we automatically disassociate with people we disagree with based on one post that isn’t that extreme.  

But he is referencing trumps speech monday night when trump spoke of peaceful protest and then deployed the military and fired gas canisters and rubber bullets into a peaceful crowd.

And the trump faithful are blatantly lying about what happened in the events around that speech. 

"The protesters were violent"
    If so, why did Barr walk thru the crowd with no protective gear minutes before the crowd was gassed?

"Tear gas was not used"
    A half truth to obfuscate a point is still lying. OC gas was admitted to being used (as was rubber bullets and smoke bombs)which has the same effect on the victim and is outlawed in acts of war.
    No one seems to be mentioning how blatant of a first amendment violation that was to do that. Protests in front of the White House have been going in forever. So he lets there be chaos (looting, attacking of reporters) in front of the White House at night while he's bunkered down, but then shoots tear gas at peaceful protesters in broad daylight so he can take a picture in front of a church. I think there's legal grounds to sue him for infringing on their rights to assemble. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

"Trump knocked it out of the park with his speech..."

...and I knocked Krist off my FB feed.  No big loss there.
    thanks brian, i needed this laugh!!

i think krist was a bigtime libertarian at one point. i am pretty concerned that he feels that trump knocked it out of the park with that speech. it was a speech that a strongman dictator would have been proud of. i expected better of krist for some reason. probably because he was one of my heroes growing up. i guess people change, or at least show you who they really are eventually.

I too expected better from Krist.  He has a decent understanding of government and enough concern to have written a small but interesting little book called Of Grunge and Government; Let's Fix This Broken Democracy!

Krist, you don't fix a broken democracy by throwing out kudos about a narcissistic tyrant!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    Like many of you, I have been following all of this closely this last week. One of the things that is talked about a lot is the looting, burning and destruction of property.  Much of that talk focuses on two of three groups of people who engage in this activity:  angry and/or radical protesters and infiltrator "protesters"-  mostly fake Antifa infiltrators, white supremacists acting as protesters. 

The third kind isn't mentioned as often:  Opportunists using the distraction and/or confusion of protests to break into stores and steel.  They are people who have little or no interest in social justice issues but instead seek to exploit the situation for the sole purpose of stealing.  I would include in that group thrill seekers who enjoy breaking shit but who also have little or no interest in social justice issues.

I don't know what percentage of the people destroying and steeling are opportunists and thrill seekers, but I do find it interesting that there is not much focus on them in conversation on theft and damage as compared to the other groups. 

Why do you suppose that is?
    I‘ve mentioned it here several times as it was happening in my city. I think others have as well. 

Crickets, mostly. 

Ah well!

Tell me about crickets please.  Is this a term to describe thieves?  I've never heard of it (although I have been hearing one in my book room lately that drives me nuts!  When the are outside, fine.  When they are in a room, they drive be batty!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    So besides myself being duped by a fake twitter account, there have been more and more popping up.  The local police got a hold of them too and took it as a credible threat and found themselves in the area of question.

These tweets have scared the crap out of the local white people, heard a few that I work with clamoring about it.

Nothing happened.  Peaceful protesting. A few thousand on the boardwalk and a few thousand in the streets.  Two different areas and same results.

Areas were Merrick and Longbeach.

Hopefully more hope than hopelessness.
    All 4 officers will face trial now.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    Like many of you, I have been following all of this closely this last week. One of the things that is talked about a lot is the looting, burning and destruction of property.  Much of that talk focuses on two of three groups of people who engage in this activity:  angry and/or radical protesters and infiltrator "protesters"-  mostly fake Antifa infiltrators, white supremacists acting as protesters. 

The third kind isn't mentioned as often:  Opportunists using the distraction and/or confusion of protests to break into stores and steel.  They are people who have little or no interest in social justice issues but instead seek to exploit the situation for the sole purpose of stealing.  I would include in that group thrill seekers who enjoy breaking shit but who also have little or no interest in social justice issues.

I don't know what percentage of the people destroying and steeling are opportunists and thrill seekers, but I do find it interesting that there is not much focus on them in conversation on theft and damage as compared to the other groups. 

I‘ve mentioned it here several times as it was happening in my city. I think others have as well. 

Crickets, mostly. 

Ah well!

Tell me about crickets please.  Is this a term to describe thieves?  I've never heard of it (although I have been hearing one in my book room lately that drives me nuts!  When the are outside, fine.  When they are in a room, they drive be batty!)
    Haha, no, crickets isn't a term for thieves.  It was used as the "silence/no response" metaphor, in that opportunistic destruction and thefts have indeed been mentioned here, as well on my local news.  I would imagine other cities who've been similarly effected are doing the same?

Hell, we even had a building here someone set on fire, and people were still running inside to swipe whatever was left.

My anger, disgust and sadness at those sights are on a par with this straw that broke the camel's back.
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Crickets, mostly. 

Ah well!

Haha, no, crickets isn't a term for thieves.  It was used as the "silence/no response" metaphor, in that opportunistic destruction and thefts have indeed been mentioned here, as well on my local news.  I would imagine other cities who've been similarly effected are doing the same?

Hell, we even had a building here someone set on fire, and people were still running inside to swipe whatever was left.

My anger, disgust and sadness at those sights are on a par with this straw that broke the camel's back.

I hope things are settling down in your area, Hedo.  It's disappointing to see nonconstructive violence happen.

Just been watching the local news and they are saying the widespread protest across the U.S. are trending more toward the peaceful side.  This is good news, both that many people are involved and doing so in more constructive ways. 

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    So besides myself being duped by a fake twitter account, there have been more and more popping up.  The local police got a hold of them too and took it as a credible threat and found themselves in the area of question.

These tweets have scared the crap out of the local white people, heard a few that I work with clamoring about it.

Nothing happened.  Peaceful protesting. A few thousand on the boardwalk and a few thousand in the streets.  Two different areas and same results.

Twin Cities resident here.

There has been a lot of misinformation being spread via social media especially regarding white supremacists in the area.

KKK rallies in city parks. KKK in full hood and robe chasing people in the streets with guns. Bombs being thrown at homes in North Minneapolis. Handwritten notes being left on people’s front steps/cars threatening to burn their homes down. Things of that nature intended to stir shit up. None of it has been substantiated, or true.

Now there is truth to people finding incendiary items stashed throughout the area (matches, bottles/jars filled with flammable liquids, things of that nature). How wide spread is still up in the air. Same with people driving and abandoning vehicles without plates. The authorities have confirmed but it’s very isolated. Along with militia type being photographed in town, but those goofs are all over in the out state areas of MN.

i have no doubt there were outsiders in town fucking things up, there have been some out of towners arrested. But there were also a lot of young kids and opportunists causing the damage. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2020
    Sweden.

(All with our corona problems and 50 ppl limit.)

Cool cop though:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Three right-wing ‘boogaloo’ militants arrested on terrorism charges in Las Vegas: report

The report continued: “They were arrested Saturday on the way to a protest in downtown Las Vegas after filling gas cans at a parking lot and making Molotov cocktails in glass bottles, according to a copy of the criminal complaint obtained by The Associated Press.”

“The complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas on Wednesday said they self-identified as part of the ‘boogaloo’ movement, which U.S. prosecutors said in the document is ‘a term used by extremists to signify coming civil war and/or fall of civilization,'”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/three-right-wing-boogaloo-militants-arrested-on-terrorism-charges-in-las-vegas-report/

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    dignin said:

Three right-wing ‘boogaloo’ militants arrested on terrorism charges in Las Vegas: report

The report continued: “They were arrested Saturday on the way to a protest in downtown Las Vegas after filling gas cans at a parking lot and making Molotov cocktails in glass bottles, according to a copy of the criminal complaint obtained by The Associated Press.”

“The complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas on Wednesday said they self-identified as part of the ‘boogaloo’ movement, which U.S. prosecutors said in the document is ‘a term used by extremists to signify coming civil war and/or fall of civilization,'”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/three-right-wing-boogaloo-militants-arrested-on-terrorism-charges-in-las-vegas-report/

CNN and the WaPo reported on them today. Q is alive and well.

http://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_d6d6b595d81af739433423967889d708
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    dignin said:

CNN and the WaPo reported on them today. Q is alive and well.

http://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_d6d6b595d81af739433423967889d708
    This sin't the place but i went digging and HOLY SHIT!

Go to the Q page for one hell of an eye opening article.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I live in a suburb of Indpls.  Tuesday evening my neighbor (65 year old tRumpster) walked over and said that there was a "mob" in the suburb west of our city and that they would likely be coming to our city "tonight" (being Tuesday).  

I told her that it was likely just a peaceful demonstration as we are too far away from the city for a "mob", etc.  She looked at me like I was naive and just asked me to let her know if I heard about any damages being done downtown (of our suburb) as she has a friend that owns a business downtown.

I got done mowing the yard and just looked up the neighboring city facebook page.  There had been a student led demonstration that day and everyone was saying how nice it was.  The police came out and supervised yet kneeled along the demonstration route, etc.  Yesterday we had a similar student led protest in our city.

The moron level in tRumpsters is high right now.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    From today's Globe (personal note: Urban Grape is my go-to wine/liquor shop in Boston):

At 6 on Monday morning, Hadley Douglas awoke to a text from a friend. It was the news that she’d been dreading: Urban Grape, the South End storefront that Douglas owns with her husband, TJ, had had its window smashed in as thieves took advantage of the chaos that erupted after Sunday’s peaceful protest.

The hours and days that followed tested the Douglases emotionally and were yet another significant setback after months of financial strain. But the Douglases, and other independent business owners in the city who suffered looting damage, sided with the protesters voicing outrage over police brutality.

When the text message about the looting came, Hadley Douglas, who is white, stayed home with their kids while TJ, who is Black, drove from their home to the South End to check on the store. Then her phone rang: Someone had tripped the store’s alarm, and the representative from the security company needed a password to turn it off. Her mind went blank — they usually called TJ first — and the dispatcher told her she would have to call the police.

She panicked, the fear and frustration that have fueled the protests of the past week forcing a tightening in her chest.

“You can’t call the police," she sobbed. Her husband, she explained, "is Black and in a broken-into liquor store the night after protesting and rioting. I need you to hear me when I say you can’t send the police,” she told the dispatcher. “If you call them, you have to understand what you’re condemning him to.”

The dispatcher was sobbing, too — she was torn, and had to do her job — when suddenly the alarm stopped.

TJ had arrived at the store and typed in the security code to disarm it. But the moment underscored the importance of the protests, Hadley says. And it helped inspire the message that she posted to social media that morning. “[W]indows are not lives. Dreams deferred cause rage. Our window is broken but the roots of this are in 400 years of knees on necks.”

“The fact is,” TJ continued, “it’s a broken window, it’s not a life. ... The looting and breaking windows in my store have nothing to do, in my eyes, with the protest and having equal rights.”

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    dankind said:
    From today's Globe (personal note: Urban Grape is my go-to wine/liquor shop in Boston):

At 6 on Monday morning, Hadley Douglas awoke to a text from a friend. It was the news that she’d been dreading: Urban Grape, the South End storefront that Douglas owns with her husband, TJ, had had its window smashed in as thieves took advantage of the chaos that erupted after Sunday’s peaceful protest.

The hours and days that followed tested the Douglases emotionally and were yet another significant setback after months of financial strain. But the Douglases, and other independent business owners in the city who suffered looting damage, sided with the protesters voicing outrage over police brutality.

When the text message about the looting came, Hadley Douglas, who is white, stayed home with their kids while TJ, who is Black, drove from their home to the South End to check on the store. Then her phone rang: Someone had tripped the store’s alarm, and the representative from the security company needed a password to turn it off. Her mind went blank — they usually called TJ first — and the dispatcher told her she would have to call the police.

She panicked, the fear and frustration that have fueled the protests of the past week forcing a tightening in her chest.

“You can’t call the police," she sobbed. Her husband, she explained, "is Black and in a broken-into liquor store the night after protesting and rioting. I need you to hear me when I say you can’t send the police,” she told the dispatcher. “If you call them, you have to understand what you’re condemning him to.”

The dispatcher was sobbing, too — she was torn, and had to do her job — when suddenly the alarm stopped.

TJ had arrived at the store and typed in the security code to disarm it. But the moment underscored the importance of the protests, Hadley says. And it helped inspire the message that she posted to social media that morning. “[W]indows are not lives. Dreams deferred cause rage. Our window is broken but the roots of this are in 400 years of knees on necks.”

“The fact is,” TJ continued, “it’s a broken window, it’s not a life. ... The looting and breaking windows in my store have nothing to do, in my eyes, with the protest and having equal rights.”

I work for a woman owned liqour store.
    We were told Monday that there was a chance that our small shopping area was being targeted that evening. That same day the city D.A. announced no charges in "a self-defense" killing of a young black man by a white bar owner in the downtown area.

My boss called her insurance agent, took pictures of stock on hand, updated inventory, and told us she was ready for whatever might happen but the loss of a few thousand dollars worth of booze was nothing, and meant nothing, in comparison to the loss of life and rights.

Luckily nothing happened and we are still open and doing business.

People Like T.J. and Hadley is what drives the American engine.

Now get out and #FUCKINGVOTE
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Ironically per the daily beast Merrick is one of the more racially segregated suburbs in the country and one of the few places with counter protest that are people trump:

The Daily Beast: Ugly Counterprotests Are Happening on Long Island for a Reason.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I can totally understand her grief but she is calling out protesters in general for their "ignorance".   The vast majority of protesters had nothing to do with her sister death.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    edited June 2020
    dankind said:

We were told Monday that there was a chance that our small shopping area was being targeted that evening. That same day the city D.A. announced no charges in "a self-defense" killing of a young black man by a white bar owner in the downtown area.

My boss called her insurance agent, took pictures of stock on hand, updated inventory, and told us she was ready for whatever might happen but the loss of a few thousand dollars worth of booze was nothing, and meant nothing, in comparison to the loss of life and rights.

Vote for who? Most of these cities are run by Democrats from top to bottom. I can’t fathom Republicans being any better on this. Is this a push to primary incumbent Democrats? Time to look at Libertarians? Who exactly is finally going to shepherd change?
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Vote for who? Most of these cities are run by Democrats from top to bottom. I can’t fathom Republicans being any better on this. Is this a push to primary incumbent Democrats? Time to look at Libertarians? Who exactly is finally going to shepherd change?
    I would say one point of voting that would be a step would be voting out the divider in chief. I’ve never lived through a time this divisive in my life on earth and it all started around the time dickwad announced his presidential ambitions and started drumming up the deplorables. At least he has brought the ugliness to the surface for all to see.  Maybe now that everyone has our eyes open we will do something about it.
    Scio me nihil scire

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

I do think it's problematic that we essentially have one-party systems in so many big cities. It's also very difficult to get a lot of people interested in local elections and while bike lanes (of which I am a fan) get talked about, more intricate discussions of how to improve the PD is trickier.  And I'm not sure many local officials are able to change those cultures (or withstand the pressure of the PD).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:

I can totally understand her grief but she is calling out protesters in general for their "ignorance".   The vast majority of protesters had nothing to do with her sister death.

Oh really?  No kidding it wasn't the vast majority.  The amount of explaining for murderers and thieves is getting crazy on TV and here.  I honestly cannot believe this was your response.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    static111 said:
    It is.  Its also an argument to stop ignoring or excusing the shitty part of the last few days.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    static111 said:
    It is.  Its also an argument to stop ignoring or excusing the shitty part of the last few days.  
    brianlux said:

Oh really?  No kidding it wasn't the vast majority.  The amount of explaining for murderers and thieves is getting crazy on TV and here.  I honestly cannot believe this was your response.
    I don’t see where anyone is excusing the behavior of any bad actors especially those that result in unneeded deaths. Do you feel the same about state sponsored murders? Also it is a double standard at its highest that we see these days, a country that has historically grown and preserved order through force and violence as a rule expecting more from the people that are protesting against them. Perhaps had the police greeted protesters in regular uniforms  and non violence as they did the armed militias at the various capitals recently the overall levels of violence would have been much lower.  
    Scio me nihil scire

brianlux said:

Maybe I heard it wrong (it's difficult to hear her words) but it sounds like she is blaming protesters in general for her sisters death.  If that's not what she said, please correct me.

What do you expect when the police are going to war against the public that they are supposed to be protecting?   Do you not think that showing up with military vehicles and shoving senior citizens around is going to actually deescalate things? 

https://twitter.com/mikehouston2/status/1268771856569466881?s=20
    Scio me nihil scire

This discussion has been closed.