Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,912
    Garlic Parmesan chicken with mushroom risotto and Caesar salad.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Ebi....Tako....Toro
    Oishi!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I can take apart a lobster like I can do few other things.  ;)

How do you cook 'em?

What is your favorite part?
    Oh yeah, they have no chance with me. 

Steamed them. Usually my go to method.

Claws baby. Nothing better than when you crack into a big meaty claw
    This is exactly what I say.
    Steamed.
    Claws.
    My father in law is one of many I know who claim the tail is best.
    Ummmm.  No.
    I can butterfly and broil/grill you a skrimp that tastes like lobster tail

No replicating the wonder of a perfectly cooked lobsta tail.

I should have been in Louisiana, at fishing camp, having a crawfish boil, to-fucking-day.
    Damn you, virus!!!!
    Obviously, we cancelled

• Options

That looks delish!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

That looks delicious. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Tonight it’s steak, grilled rare, leftover mushroom risotto and Caesar salad again.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That steak!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
    Tonight it’s steak, grilled rare, leftover mushroom risotto and Caesar salad again.

Is that blue cheese on top of that steak? That is a delicious combo. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,012
    eddiec said:
    My fish guy landed a Tuna this week. I ordered online and picked up a piece of belly today. Butter.

It was the fattiest cut, which tastes the best, but very hard to keep it from falling apart. Threw in some Ebi and Tako as well.
    Octopus is underrated.
    Toro is overrated.

I would have eaten every piece there though!

• Options
    MF117973 said:

Not this time as the risotto and salad were already rich and creamy.  This time I finished it off with a bit of butter and chives.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:

Not this time as the risotto and salad were already rich and creamy.  This time I finished it off with a bit of butter and chives.
    Yum. Just as good 😋
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    My fish guy landed a Tuna this week. I ordered online and picked up a piece of belly today. Butter.

It was the fattiest cut, which tastes the best, but very hard to keep it from falling apart. Threw in some Ebi and Tako as well.
    Octopus is underrated.
    Toro is overrated.

I would have eaten every piece there though!

I sometimes prefer chutoro to otoro
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Today’s grill was just dogs, corn, and summer squash. Probably drumsticks and thighs tomorrow, burgers later this week. Still got some sweet potatoes and regular potatoes to toss on, too. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Ok people. I am stuck by myself in my little NYC apartment. I need to live vicariously through one of you who is having a fab Memorial Day backyard bbq or feast of some kind. Show me some photos, please. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    Ok people. I am stuck by myself in my little NYC apartment. I need to live vicariously through one of you who is having a fab Memorial Day backyard bbq or feast of some kind. Show me some photos, please. 
    I didn't cook out. I threw a layered cook into the crock-pot. I also made macaroni salad and coleslaw. Made it in the morning because we gardened all day. Just didn't want to leave you behind. No pictures though. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    I didn't cook out. I threw a layered cook into the crock-pot. I also made macaroni salad and coleslaw. Made it in the morning because we gardened all day. Just didn't want to leave you behind. No pictures though. 
    Thanks. That sounds delicious. I usually go to an annual Memorial Day bbq that one of my friends has. So, this year was a bit different. Thanks for sharing  :)
  • Options
    No pics as it was pretty standard fare....poolside grilling of corn, hot dogs, and hamburgers.
    Didn't get into the sides, just made extra corn

Easy....cheaper...and I am not stuck eating leftovers all week.

Also, I didn't have to have my in laws all at our house the weekend like we normally do for any holidays overlapping with the pool being open.
    This was great.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I picked up my pig, minus a ham, the bacon, and jowls, which are still smoking.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,012
    rgambs said:

mmmm bacon.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:

Looks great! Nothing like having the freezer full. Jealous of the jowls smoking. Love that cut.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    No Memorial Day bbq this year. We laid low, and I decided to make some Bibimbap. Bulgogi beef, sauteed spinach finished with toasted sesame oil, approximated a kimchee, pickled carrots and cucumber, over a bed of rice with a fried egg on top. Delicious!

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Wow, I don't think I could even get a quarter of that in my freezer, but it all looks great. I am sure you will do some amazing things with all of that pork.

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    No Memorial Day bbq this year. We laid low, and I decided to make some Bibimbap. Bulgogi beef, sauteed spinach finished with toasted sesame oil, approximated a kimchee, pickled carrots and cucumber, over a bed of rice with a fried egg on top. Delicious!

That looks so good. I love pickled veggies. Great presentation as well. Perfect looking fried egg.

• Options
    That pile o pig looks awesome!!!
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    jeffbr said:

That looks so good. I love pickled veggies. Great presentation as well. Perfect looking fried egg.

I concur.  It sounds as delicious as it looks.

tonight is homemade lasagna with garlic bread and an Eagle Rare bourbon starter.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    rgambs said:

Hell yes! If you don’t mind me asking, what did that run you?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Lasagna looks delicious. And so does the eagle rare. Well done. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ That pig was packaged to perfection! No meat visits to the store for you anytime soon. Enjoy. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:

$460 The price went up $0.50/lb between ordering and processing, so that was a bummer.
    I weighed it out at around 100lbs, and have the weights broken down by cut.  When I pick up the last of the meat this Friday I am going to finish weighing it out, and then compare the cost to the same weights of cuts at the grocery store I buy meat from to get an idea of whether I saved money or not.  I'm guessing I saved a little bit, but not too much.  Cost savings isn't everything, of course, this is fresh pastured pig from my own county.  Contrasting that with feedlot pork from Iowa, I'm glad I pulled the trigger even if it comes out a little more expensive.  Even at $4/lb average, I think I'm saving money...sausage is cheap, but center cut boneless chops and baby back ribs are pricey most of the time.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

$460 The price went up $0.50/lb between ordering and processing, so that was a bummer.
    I weighed it out at around 100lbs, and have the weights broken down by cut.  When I pick up the last of the meat this Friday I am going to finish weighing it out, and then compare the cost to the same weights of cuts at the grocery store I buy meat from to get an idea of whether I saved money or not.  I'm guessing I saved a little bit, but not too much.  Cost savings isn't everything, of course, this is fresh pastured pig from my own county.  Contrasting that with feedlot pork from Iowa, I'm glad I pulled the trigger even if it comes out a little more expensive.  Even at $4/lb average, I think I'm saving money...sausage is cheap, but center cut boneless chops and baby back ribs are pricey most of the time.
    Even if it works out more, it's such a better way to buy produce for numerous reasons.