Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Nice work so far on the tele, Matt!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

That tele looks amazing CP3....stunning. I have those same pickups in mine and agree they have a nice sound. Enjoy!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Nice work so far on the tele, Matt!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

That tele looks amazing CP3....stunning. I have those same pickups in mine and agree they have a nice sound. Enjoy!
    Thanks biggs!   Loving this guitar
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mfc2006 said:That is absolutely beautiful, man! Wow!
    Thanks, Matt!   I keep checking daily to see yours!
    Thanks, man! Linseed oil will arrive tomorrow, so I'll post an update after I apply it to the fretboard. Still trying to decide if I want to add another lacquer coat. I like the way it is now, but one more coat may be the right thing to do. We will see.

I just want to finish it and PLAY IT. But, I think we're at least 2 weeks away from that happening. Thanks to all that have chimed in & offered advice or encouraging words. It's been a blast & I strongly recommend this project to all of you!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Did you already decide on pickups?  I might have missed that.  I should scroll back and not be lazy lol
    edited May 2020
    Did you already decide on pickups?  I might have missed that.  I should scroll back and not be lazy lol
    I’m just going to use the stock ones that it came with.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129

Always wanted to have a Telecaster to call my own.  I always thought they just sounded so great and looked so cool.  My favorite guitar design.   Loved playing them when friends owned them.  Then the added cool factor that Prince, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, and Eddie Vedder all have Teles as their go-to guitars.  

Finally took the dive and picked one up.  2020 American Ultra in Texas Tea.  It has that classic Tele tone but the new pickups add something to the mix.  I’m really enjoying it.  Even the wife said “i’ve heard you play these songs for years but wow it sounds different!”    So im having fun.  

It’s a black metallic that turns gold-ish in the light.  

man i am absolutely drooling over that texas tea finish. I wanted to look at these before covid hit but now all the stores are still closed. from the videos they seem to have some innovative upgrades, which looks to be pretty cool. let me know what you think of the pickups. that was my only concern about these because i historically do not care much for the noiseless. these are supposed to be a new generation of noiseless and are supposed to be pretty fantastic. i really like the jimmy page pickups, so if i try one of these i could always try those pickups too. great purchase!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    guitar is lookin great, mfc!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

guitar is lookin great, mfc!!
    Thanks! Linseed oil just arrived, so I’ll be applying that later today.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    cp3 that guitar is sick!  Awesome purchase.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited May 2020
    Fun night tonight. Added the tuners, strap holders & attached the fretboard to the body. Next steps may have to wait until my sister & her husband can help me with the soldering. Here are some pics: 
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited May 2020

Always wanted to have a Telecaster to call my own.  I always thought they just sounded so great and looked so cool.  My favorite guitar design.   Loved playing them when friends owned them.  Then the added cool factor that Prince, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, and Eddie Vedder all have Teles as their go-to guitars.  

Finally took the dive and picked one up.  2020 American Ultra in Texas Tea.  It has that classic Tele tone but the new pickups add something to the mix.  I’m really enjoying it.  Even the wife said “i’ve heard you play these songs for years but wow it sounds different!”    So im having fun.  

man i am absolutely drooling over that texas tea finish. I wanted to look at these before covid hit but now all the stores are still closed. from the videos they seem to have some innovative upgrades, which looks to be pretty cool. let me know what you think of the pickups. that was my only concern about these because i historically do not care much for the noiseless. these are supposed to be a new generation of noiseless and are supposed to be pretty fantastic. i really like the jimmy page pickups, so if i try one of these i could always try those pickups too. great purchase!!
    Thanks, Rod.  Thanks, Mike.  
    Compared to the earlier versions, these Noiseless are definitely improved.  I’ve played some Tele’s before with earlier Noiseless pups and the life wasn't there. This seems beefier and just really really smooth.  Hard to describe. Still sounds like a Tele for sure. Really happy with them.  No plans to change any of them out until of course i get that itch lol.  Try one out tho when you get the chance. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Noiseless pickups have improved over the last few years. They used to sound too rolled off to me. The newer generations are pretty great, though. I put Seymour Duncan STK-S4 Classic Stacks in one of my Strats over the winter and those things are amazing. No hum but they still have the chime, cut and bite that Strats do so well.

Looking good on your project! It's coming together nicely. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mfc2006 said:
    Fun night tonight. Added the tuners, strap holders & attached the fretboard to the body. Next steps may have to wait until my sister & her husband can help me with the soldering. Here are some pics: 
    looking great!!

i did not know that the fretboard came separately from the neck....

Thanks, Rod.  Thanks, Mike.  
    Compared to the earlier versions, these Noiseless are definitely improved.  I’ve played some Tele’s before with earlier Noiseless pups and the life wasn't there. This seems beefier and just really really smooth.  Hard to describe. Still sounds like a Tele for sure. Really happy with them.  No plans to change any of them out until of course i get that itch lol.  Try one out tho when you get the chance. 
    yes lifeless is the term i was looking for. glad that these new ones are what you are looking for. i will definitely check these out once my local shops open back up.

dudeman said:
    Noiseless pickups have improved over the last few years. They used to sound too rolled off to me. The newer generations are pretty great, though. I put Seymour Duncan STK-S4 Classic Stacks in one of my Strats over the winter and those things are amazing. No hum but they still have the chime, cut and bite that Strats do so well.

Looking good on your project! It's coming together nicely. 
    yeah i had a white strat about 10 years ago with the original noiseless pickups. they were lacking that squak and the snap that strats are known for. it was one of those things where it sounded okay in the store but i never loved it with my setup. i was going to swap out the pickups but the wiring was funky and i did not want to mess with it. I held on to it for a few years and traded it in towards my firebird. i like the firebird but it has its own issues, haha. glad you like the duncans!

mfc2006 said:
    looking great!!

i did not know that the fretboard came separately from the neck....
    Thanks!
    It doesn’t. The fretboard & body are separated.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    oh crap! sorry. i misread. and screwed up the quote feature.

lol

oh crap! sorry. i misread. and screwed up the quote feature.

lol
    Quote function has been messed up for a long time! Ha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Project Update:

Well, I am missing some small parts. And it turns out that the switch was supposed to have been pre-installed. So, I sent them an email & now I just have to wait. They’re pretty fast with a reply, so I imagine I’ll hear back tomorrow. I just dove in on the finish & decided to wait to inventory the parts until I was ready for the next steps. I was hoping to play it this weekend, but it’ll probably be next weekend. Oh well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Project Update:

Well, I am missing some small parts. And it turns out that the switch was supposed to have been pre-installed. So, I sent them an email & now I just have to wait. They’re pretty fast with a reply, so I imagine I’ll hear back tomorrow. I just dove in on the finish & decided to wait to inventory the parts until I was ready for the next steps. I was hoping to play it this weekend, but it’ll probably be next weekend. Oh well.
    ah man sorry to hear. hopefully they take care of you and you can get her all put together next week. looking forward to hearing how you like it.

mfc2006 said:
    Project Update:

ah man sorry to hear. hopefully they take care of you and you can get her all put together next week. looking forward to hearing how you like it.
    Yeah, I was bummed, but it happens. They’re shipping out the parts I need today or tomorrow.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    New parts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow! Just watched a video on soldering & called my sister. So glad that she has a lot of experience soldering! Ha!

I'm hoping to head to her house this weekend and wrap this project up! I've already been thinking of the next one that I'll start in a year or two.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    looking forward to it!
    mfc2006 said:
    New parts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow! Just watched a video on soldering & called my sister. So glad that she has a lot of experience soldering! Ha!

I'm hoping to head to her house this weekend and wrap this project up! I've already been thinking of the next one that I'll start in a year or two.
    now that i think about it, looking back, i should have taken a shop class in high school and learned to solder.

good luck!!!

mfc2006 said:

now that i think about it, looking back, i should have taken a shop class in high school and learned to solder.

good luck!!!
    Thanks, man! My sister and I can't link up our schedules this week & we're going on vacation next week, so this will have to wait another couple of weeks until it's done. It's really coming along, though & there is nothing left to do at this point. We'll wrap it up when we get back from vacation. I've watched several videos on soldering, but I've never done it before, so I'd rather finish the project with her to make sure that I don't fuck it up. Here are a few pictures & they may be out of order: Input jack, Bridge, Pickups (front), Pickups (back) & the Tele just chilling while waiting for the next step

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Beautiful!   Love the tweed strap too 
    Beautiful!   Love the tweed strap too 
    Thanks! I took it off my bass and used a different strap for the bass
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    No idea where to put this so here it goes
    https://youtu.be/hZ7N2hxMI3M

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Flipping through the Fretboard Journal’s profile of Ed’s guitar arsenal.  He has so many Tele’s and Esquires.  

Damn you, @mcgruff10! Lol
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com