Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Sanded & about to apply the second coat of stain. The lighting sucks in the garage, but here ya go!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Wow!
    Wow!
    It’s coming together!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Lookin' good! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    it does look nice. it looks like the routs for the pickups and controls are really well done as well. looks to be a very quality kit.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    it does look nice. it looks like the routs for the pickups and controls are really well done as well. looks to be a very quality kit.
    Yeah, it’s a lot better than I expected it to be. I would easily recommend using fretwire to anyone that wants to start a similar project.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I checked on it this morning before heading to the office. I think I’m happy with how dark it is, but will double check tonight with better lighting to be sure. If so, I’ll be lacquering tomorrow!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Quick Tele update:
    I’ve applied 2 coats of the aerosol lacquer & the finish is uneven is some spots, so I need to let it rest, then sand those spots and reapply. It’s my first rodeo, so I knew it wouldn’t be smooth sailing. I am pretty happy with the neck, but the body needs some reworking. Any tips for preventing drips/clotting? I did 2 light coats and was using even strokes. Here are some pics:

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    One more update...
    Once that rests long enough, I’ll also be working on the fretboard while re-lacquering those rough/clumpy spots. Happy Saturday, all!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I have had the best luck with sanding between coats of polyurethane. Never used aerosol lacquer. Might be a similar process though. Polishing with 0000 steel wool will also smooth out the finish, both between coats and as a final step. 

The best way to avoid drips with a spray finish is to keep the can/sprayer well away from your project. It takes longer to spray from a distance and you lose a fair amount of product, but it is far easier to spray more, light coats than to have to level out drips and runs in between coats. 

I'll try to get a couple pictures of my last refinish. It started out as a black P-Bass. Refinished to natural using whatever Thompsons polyurethane I had on hand. I think it was left over from when we stripped and refinished the hardwood floors in an old rental house. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    If I ever get one of these, I'll hire someone to do the finish because I suck at varnishing, lacquering, etc.   Then I'll hire someone to do the electronics because I suck at electronics.  Then I'll hire someone to adjust the bridge and string the guitar because I suck at bridge adjustment and stringing guitars [note to self: at least two of yours need it- badly]. Or I might just keep looking for one that is pre-built.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

dudeman said:
    I have had the best luck with sanding between coats of polyurethane. Never used aerosol lacquer. Might be a similar process though. Polishing with 0000 steel wool will also smooth out the finish, both between coats and as a final step. 

The best way to avoid drips with a spray finish is to keep the can/sprayer well away from your project. It takes longer to spray from a distance and you lose a fair amount of product, but it is far easier to spray more, light coats than to have to level out drips and runs in between coats. 

I'll try to get a couple pictures of my last refinish. It started out as a black P-Bass. Refinished to natural using whatever Thompsons polyurethane I had on hand. I think it was left over from when we stripped and refinished the hardwood floors in an old rental house. 
    Thanks for the info! So, steel wool instead of sanding? Works for me!

I did keep the can away from the project. I think the initial spray (which is what needs some work) was result of the product coming out thick from the can initially. I almost sprayed a bit on a piece of cardboard after shaking...but I thought I was good to go. Now I know to do that every single time. Thanks again....really enjoying this project & I hope to move forward soon!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    brianlux said:
    If I ever get one of these, I'll hire someone to do the finish because I suck at varnishing, lacquering, etc.   Then I'll hire someone to do the electronics because I suck at electronics.  Then I'll hire someone to adjust the bridge and string the guitar because I suck at bridge adjustment and stringing guitars [note to self: at least two of yours need it- badly]. Or I might just keep looking for one that is pre-built.  :lol: 
    It's fun to just dive in there...even if you fuck it up. It just feels like it's your guitar....warts and all. My sister & her husband will be helping me with the electronics/soldering because I've never done it before, but I'm ready to dive in and learn.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

dudeman said:

That looks awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Shitty pictures, but I tried to catch that you can see reflections in the finish. Also, it is apparent why Fender applied a solid color paint to this body. It's a bunch of pieces of wood glued together with no attention given to grain matching. 

Works well enough for me, though. This one lives on a stand so it's ready to grab whenever. It was a fun project and I ended up with a solid beater bass that inspires me to play more.
    That’s kind of what I’m looking for as well, @dudeman. This Tele will get beat up and will be used for alternate tunings as well. Can’t wait to play it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    It's fun to just dive in there...even if you fuck it up. It just feels like it's your guitar....warts and all. My sister & her husband will be helping me with the electronics/soldering because I've never done it before, but I'm ready to dive in and learn.

I have to admit, it actually is tempting.  Not too expensive.  And I do have a soldering gun somewhere and have used it a few time- with mixed results.  I wouldn't say I'm out of the game all together.

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896

"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Love my Tele. I play in a cover band, and I like using the Tele over my Strat or Les Paul. But it def does lack the beef needed for some rocking songs like Shipping Up to Boston. I do the “dun dun” on an E power chord and that's where you can tell the Les Paul would def be better for that. But I love the Tele and try it anyway!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    Can’t wait to work on the Tele over the long weekend
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Quick Update on the project:
    I am taking advantage of the 4 day weekend! I just used some 0000 Steel Wool to take care of the "clumpy" parts of the lacquer and it worked great! Thanks for the tip, @dudeman! I also just put the first coat of Fretboard Finishing Oil on the fretboard. It needs to dry for 24 hours, then I'll do one more coat. I'll finish off the fretboard with some boiled linseed oil, which should arrive in the mail tomorrow & will darken it quite a bit. I'm not sure if I want another coat of lacquer on the body...I like the way it looks and feels right now. So, we'll see. After I make that decision, it is time to BUILD! Can't wait for that step! Have a great day, all!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    I am taking advantage of the 4 day weekend! I just used some 0000 Steel Wool to take care of the "clumpy" parts of the lacquer and it worked great! Thanks for the tip, @dudeman! I also just put the first coat of Fretboard Finishing Oil on the fretboard. It needs to dry for 24 hours, then I'll do one more coat. I'll finish off the fretboard with some boiled linseed oil, which should arrive in the mail tomorrow & will darken it quite a bit. I'm not sure if I want another coat of lacquer on the body...I like the way it looks and feels right now. So, we'll see. After I make that decision, it is time to BUILD! Can't wait for that step! Have a great day, all!

It's looking great!  So cool that you are doing this!

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

Thanks, man! It's a lot of fun too!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

It's coming together!  Looks great Matt.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:

It's coming together!  Looks great Matt.
    Thanks!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

Always wanted to have a Telecaster to call my own.  I always thought they just sounded so great and looked so cool.  My favorite guitar design.   Loved playing them when friends owned them.  Then the added cool factor that Prince, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, and Eddie Vedder all have Teles as their go-to guitars.  

Finally took the dive and picked one up.  2020 American Ultra in Texas Tea.  It has that classic Tele tone but the new pickups add something to the mix.  I’m really enjoying it.  Even the wife said “i’ve heard you play these songs for years but wow it sounds different!”    So im having fun.  

It’s a black metallic that turns gold-ish in the light.  

Always wanted to have a Telecaster to call my own.  I always thought they just sounded so great and looked so cool.  My favorite guitar design.   Loved playing them when friends owned them.  Then the added cool factor that Prince, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, and Eddie Vedder all have Teles as their go-to guitars.  

Finally took the dive and picked one up.  2020 American Ultra in Texas Tea.  It has that classic Tele tone but the new pickups add something to the mix.  I’m really enjoying it.  Even the wife said “i’ve heard you play these songs for years but wow it sounds different!”    So im having fun.  

It’s a black metallic that turns gold-ish in the light.  

That is absolutely beautiful, man! Wow!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:That is absolutely beautiful, man! Wow!
    Thanks, Matt!   I keep checking daily to see yours!