Options

Retrograde?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Fantastic song.  My #2 behind Seven O'Clock.
    P.S. - I really like Sirens.  Fight me.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Lostpawn said:
    I like that you like it.  I just don't.  But admittedly I don't like a lot of the ballad type songs that PJ or any other band puts out.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,836
    It's interesting - love this album, and my favorite since Binaural. Just can't seem to get into the last two tracks on Gigaton. 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,943
    Thats interesting. The last 2 are probably my favorite tracks on the record. 

But the whole album is top to bottom great. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    It's interesting - love this album, and my favorite since Binaural. Just can't seem to get into the last two tracks on Gigaton. 
    Not a fan of river cross, just not my cup of tea.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    Lostpawn said:
    I really like Sirens too ..... and Yellow Moon. There, I said it 😁
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    MF117973 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    Hahahaha I love yellow moon....and Buckle up.  Both way better than Retrograde  which is retro in a bad way. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Retrograde is my new favorite from Gigaton, it’s superfantastic 😃
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Listened to the album with headphones again last and damn Retrograde into River Cross!  So good. That last minute or so of Retrograde might be my favorite of all of Gigaton. This is a really great album start to finish
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Lostpawn said:
    I love YM....might be my fav off of LB

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Listened to the album with headphones again last and damn Retrograde into River Cross!  So good. That last minute or so of Retrograde might be my favorite of all of Gigaton. This is a really great album start to finish
    This
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 614
    Not a huge fan of the entire song but the end of Retrograde spectacular. The back third of the song reminds me of "Higher Truth" from Chris Cornell. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited April 2020
    First 2/3 is a nice mid tempo modern PJ tune

last 1/3 is unbelievably good.  Obviously Eddie’s voice has always been a draw and thats one of the best uses of his voice on a record ever. 
  • Options
    Last 1/3rd reminds me of the outro to 1/2 Full

• Options
    FranswayFransway Posts: 9
    igotid88 said:
    Great song. But why the love for this song and the hate for Sirens?
    No idea. Both have similar cringeworthy production that I can’t get past and makes me a little embarrassed that I love this band as much as I do.

Reminds me also of Speed of Sound, absolutely love the demo version, unable to listen to the overproduced Bon Jovi version on Backspacer.

Other than that, I love the new album and can’t wait to see a bunch of these songs live at some point
  • Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Fransway said:
    igotid88 said:
    No idea. Both have similar cringeworthy production that I can’t get past and makes me a little embarrassed that I love this band as much as I do.

Reminds me also of Speed of Sound, absolutely love the demo version, unable to listen to the overproduced Bon Jovi version on Backspacer.

Other than that, I love the new album and can’t wait to see a bunch of these songs live at some point

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    Fransway said:
    igotid88 said:

I gotta ask, how is it cringeworthy? Why are you embarrassed? Are you a music producer? Have you sold millions of records? I’m not trying to start a fight, just wondering if you wanted to further explain what you meant?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Fransway said:
    igotid88 said:Fransway said:
    igotid88 said:

Lol. First time I've ever heard Speed of Sound compared to Bon Jovi.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Most interesting guitar part, and perhaps the strongest melody on the album.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Loved it from the get go. While every song on this album is kick ass, this was the one I immediately fell in love with on the first listen. 
    My thoughts exactly!!!
  • Options
    I'm often in general a repeat offender when I sit and listen at night. With this song, I do it with just the last 2 minutes.
  • Options
    I'm often in general a repeat offender when I sit and listen at night. With this song, I do it with just the last 2 minutes.
    It's funny how many of their songs are like that....the middle or end can go in a completely different direction than the beginning

• Options
    FranswayFransway Posts: 9
    Fransway said:
    igotid88 said:

I gotta ask, how is it cringeworthy? Why are you embarrassed? Are you a music producer? Have you sold millions of records? I’m not trying to start a fight, just wondering if you wanted to further explain what
    No, I’m not a music producer. Haven’t sold millions of records either. Gonna go out on a limb and say the majority of people posting on here aren’t either. But like everyone else I have opinions about what I like and don’t like, and I don’t like the production choices on either sirens, retrograde, or speed of sound. Not a ballad thing, I love the majority of their slow songs. I think all three have some of the best lyrics that Ed has ever written. Doesn’t mean that I’m wrong or right. I like buckle up, seems to put me in the minority on here. Same with Johnny Guitar.

Don’t really understand how my opinion would be more or less valid if I had sold millions of albums. I mean, Drake has sold a bazillion albums, does that mean his opinion of pearl jam somehow carries more weight than any of us posting on here? 

I’m glad you like retrograde, really. After listening to the album about 500 times since it’s been released, I have to admit it’s grown on me a bit as well lol. Still in the bottom 2 or 3 songs For me but not an automatic skip anymore