Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Over the years, I have done a number of "rebuilds", but I never built a guitar from a kit like that. It looks like a lot of fun!

I always wanted to build one of the Carvin Bolt Kits but never got around to it. 

Good luck with yours! 

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    bbiggs said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    It looks like the kit is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll post a picture of it here when it does. I'll probably start working on it this weekend!
    Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll need it! Haha

I think I'm a pretty handy guy, but I've never done anything like this. I'm sure I'll feel better about it once it arrives.

That's an awesome project to take on.  Look forward to hearing about it.  Once complete, you'll appreciate that guitar like none other!
    I think you're right! Ha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    dudeman said:
    Over the years, I have done a number of "rebuilds", but I never built a guitar from a kit like that. It looks like a lot of fun!

I always wanted to build one of the Carvin Bolt Kits but never got around to it. 

Good luck with yours! 

Thanks, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dudeman said:

Good luck with yours! 

I'm a little bit in awe of people who can take apart guitar electronics and rebuild them!  I'm nervous simply changing guitar strings (which is why my Martins are overdue for fresh strings!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    edited May 2020
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    It looks like the kit is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll post a picture of it here when it does. I'll probably start working on it this weekend!
    Good luck!

I think I'm a pretty handy guy, but I've never done anything like this. I'm sure I'll feel better about it once it arrives.
    Cool - project builds are fun! I would strongly recommend that both you and your sister practice soldering on some spare parts before trying it on an actual guitar. General handiness is enough for assembling a kit guitar, but poor soldering will trash the electronic parts that you have, requiring more cost on replacement parts and, most significantly, slowing down your project and getting in the way of playing the guitar. There are loads of useful tutorials on the Tube to help you.

On the other hand, a bit of practice, the proper tools and setup (so none of your components are moving, at all), soldering is really useful for guitar maintenance/modification and can be done very quickly and cleanly in the future. Good luck!

edit: I would also recommend TDPRI.com - many forums full of many lifetimes' worth of knowledge and expertise there.
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Good luck!

Cool - project builds are fun! I would strongly recommend that both you and your sister practice soldering on some spare parts before trying it on an actual guitar. General handiness is enough for assembling a kit guitar, but poor soldering will trash the electronic parts that you have, requiring more cost on replacement parts and, most significantly, slowing down your project and getting in the way of playing the guitar. There are loads of useful tutorials on the Tube to help you.

On the other hand, a bit of practice, the proper tools and setup (so none of your components are moving, at all), soldering is really useful for guitar maintenance/modification and can be done very quickly and cleanly in the future. Good luck!

edit: I would also recommend TDPRI.com - many forums full of many lifetimes' worth of knowledge and expertise there.
    Thanks for the info!

She & her husband actually do it quite a bit, but I don't think they've ever done it with a guitar. Thanks again for the info!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    The kit just arrived here in KC. Can't wait to dive in!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ So cool, man.  Enjoy that project.  It will be damn satisfying once it's done I'm sure!

mfc2006 said:

Nice! Do you plan on shaping the headstock?
    dudeman said:

mfc2006 said:

Not sure yet. Need to think that through a bit.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:

mfc2006 said:

That's the one major change I would make to the non-electronic components.  There's just something about the sensual curve of a Tele headstock! Probably a lot easier said than done though!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:

mfc2006 said:

That's the one major change I would make to the non-electronic components.  There's just something about the sensual curve of a Tele headstock! Probably a lot easier said than done though!
    Definitely easier said than done. We’ll see what happens!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:

mfc2006 said:

Will look forward to hearing/ seeing how it goes!

brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    mfc2006 said:
    dudeman said:

mfc2006 said:

Will look forward to hearing/ seeing how it goes!
    Me too! Ha! I think the first step will be to stain the body/neck. It has a pretty thin coat on it & I'd like to give it a bit more protection. Just need to pick out the stain & go from there. There's some light sanding that needs to be done before I stain it & I think I'll tackle that tomorrow as step one.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    good luck with the project!

if i was doing it i would make that baby lake placid blue with a white pickguard, but i do not know the first thing about painting/lacquering guitars....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    or soldering for that matter.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited May 2020
    Placed an order for a new Tele today.  Can’t wait.  
    Will actually be my first Fender after 25 yrs of playing.  Always loved playing these when friends/bandmates owned them.  
    Project Update:
    I'll be staining the wood this weekend. After that, I will be lacquering the wood and staining the fretboard with finishing oil. I just ordered those products from StewMac (a great resource!). Once that's all done (2-3 weeks from now), I'll start putting it together. The soldering will be last and my sister & brother in law will be helping me with that! I'm going to keep the natural wood finish with a black pickguard. I thought about painting it, but the more I thought about the more I liked the idea of a natural finish. Will be sure to keep y'all posted!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Project Update:
    I'll be staining the wood this weekend. After that, I will be lacquering the wood and staining the fretboard with finishing oil. I just ordered those products from StewMac (a great resource!). Once that's all done (2-3 weeks from now), I'll start putting it together. The soldering will be last and my sister & brother in law will be helping me with that! I'm going to keep the natural wood finish with a black pickguard. I thought about painting it, but the more I thought about the more I liked the idea of a natural finish. Will be sure to keep y'all posted!
    that's exciting.  i'd like to get the skills to do that one day.  Post pics!
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    mfc2006 said:
    Project Update:
    That’s gonna look great! And indeed, Stewmac has some great stuff. Good luck!

Big strat headstock like a 70’s tele deluxe?

(Sadly, a stock photo - not my guitar, or my pool. Nor would I put my guitar by the pool. Still jealous.)
    mfc2006 said:
    Project Update:
    that's exciting.  i'd like to get the skills to do that one day.  Post pics!
    This is all new to me! Ha! The staining will be easy. The lacquering is with an aerosol can, so that'll be relatively easy as well. For the oil, just use a lint-free cloth. The key is patience. Each step will require waiting a 1-3 days between next step or application. Putting it together should be pretty painless too (I hope). I'm very thankful that my sister & her husband both have a lot of experience soldering....because I have zero.whoanelly15 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Project Update:
    That’s gonna look great! And indeed, Stewmac has some great stuff. Good luck!

Big strat headstock like a 70’s tele deluxe?

(Sadly, a stock photo - not my guitar, or my pool. Nor would I put my guitar by the pool. Still jealous.)
    Well, I don't know if it'll look that nice, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Not sure what I'll do with the headstock, to be honest. I may just leave it as is. The good thing is that I have the time to decide while I do all of the other steps.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    i love this.

that tele by the pool looks badass!!!

Makes me cringe :lol:
    Makes me cringe :lol:

I'll probably have a bad dream tonight about one of my guitars falling into the pool and into the water.
    Plugged in.
    And me holding it, just about to hit that Dm7th chord.  :lol:

What a way to go tho, Bri.   
    Playing a beautiful Tele
    What a way to go tho, Bri.   
    Playing a beautiful Tele

So true!  An it would make for a really cool looking guitar!

Got sidetracked with other things last weekend, so this project will be kicking off this weekend! Can't wait!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Got sidetracked with other things last weekend, so this project will be kicking off this weekend! Can't wait!
    Come on, man! Get it together. Some of us are trying to live vicariously through you. Chop, chop!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mfc2006 said:
    I figured you would have been done by now.  So disappointed.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    I figured you would have been done by now.  So disappointed.  

dudeman said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Come on, man! Get it together. Some of us are trying to live vicariously through you. Chop, chop!

Watch these guys, there out to get 'cha!  :wink: