Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 29,677
    i just went and played that jimmy page tele again. it is on sale for $600 off. i almost bought it. then i had a closer look. it isn't the same one I had played before. it had a crack on the pickguard near one of the screws, the headstock had some black stuff on it from the hanger that would not wipe off, and the pickup selector was missing the top hat. i played it and the frets on the 12 fret up were sharp. i was not impressed with quality control so i left it there. the roadworn was $700 less and i liked it better, just didn't like the pickups. the search continues....
    Sorry to hear about the poor Q.C.!  Hope you find a good one.

I'm hoping to get down to Folsom to look and see what they've got down there tomorrow, time permitting.

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    -Aldous Huxley
    M.I.T.S.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 16,673
    good luck brian! hope you were able to get there and check out some teles.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

"i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

If you have never failed, you have never lived.
    good luck brian! hope you were able to get there and check out some teles.

Hey, thanks man!

I went to Nicholson's in Folsom and they usually have a good selection of gear but it turns out they had just recently done a trade show and are very low on inventory right now.  Will have to check it out again in a month or so.
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    -Aldous Huxley
    M.I.T.S.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 4,311
    I have a question for you more seasoned guitar players.  I hope it keeps thread integrity as it is a Tele related question.  I'm a beginner.  Started playing just over a year ago.  I have a Strat that I love.  I've always been a bit partial to Fender I suppose, which has me eyeing a Tele to add to the collection.  It's between a Tele and LP.  I know this is purely subjective, but in very general terms, do you feel I will get what I need out of a Tele for the type of music I enjoy playing the most (as I continue to learn)?  This would include the likes of PJ, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, AIC, Tom Petty to name a few.  I know there are no canned answers as it relates to this, but will the Tele give me the versatility needed to play some of the crunchier, hard rock, tones that I'll want at times (not always)?  I've played both and can hear the differences in both, of course, but thought I'd run it by you fine folks to get some opinions.  Thanks in advance.
    bbiggs said:
    I have a question for you more seasoned guitar players.  I hope it keeps thread integrity as it is a Tele related question.  I'm a beginner.  Started playing just over a year ago.  I have a Strat that I love.  I've always been a bit partial to Fender I suppose, which has me eyeing a Tele to add to the collection.  It's between a Tele and LP.  I know this is purely subjective, but in very general terms, do you feel I will get what I need out of a Tele for the type of music I enjoy playing the most (as I continue to learn)?  This would include the likes of PJ, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, AIC, Tom Petty to name a few.  I know there are no canned answers as it relates to this, but will the Tele give me the versatility needed to play some of the crunchier, hard rock, tones that I'll want at times (not always)?  I've played both and can hear the differences in both, of course, but thought I'd run it by you fine folks to get some opinions.  Thanks in advance.

I'll be interested to hear what gimmesometruth27  says here.  I think I can guess but I'm not as seasoned in electrics (most of my playing over the years has been acoustic.)
    -Aldous Huxley
    M.I.T.S.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 16,673
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

I'll be interested to hear what gimmesometruth27  says here.  I think I can guess but I'm not as seasoned in electrics (most of my playing over the years has been acoustic.)
    i've always been a les paul guy. but the older i get i am super intrigued by the idea of a tele. it is a simple guitar with single coils and you can play any style of music with it. i used to think they looked funny, but the older i get i think they look timeless.

you can get all of those sounds of all of those bands with a tele. as a rhythm player that just kind of holds it down with the bass i just prefered les pauls. also, because i am a big guy that likes having a big heavy guitar, i liked how the les paul feels more substantial hanging on my shoulder. 

les pauls are a little darker and throaty sounding to me, but a tele can really cut through a mix with the single coils.
    "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."- Hemingway

"i'm not here to start the fire. i am here to fan the flames..."

If you have never failed, you have never lived.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 4,311
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

i've always been a les paul guy. but the older i get i am super intrigued by the idea of a tele. it is a simple guitar with single coils and you can play any style of music with it. i used to think they looked funny, but the older i get i think they look timeless.

you can get all of those sounds of all of those bands with a tele. as a rhythm player that just kind of holds it down with the bass i just prefered les pauls. also, because i am a big guy that likes having a big heavy guitar, i liked how the les paul feels more substantial hanging on my shoulder. 

les pauls are a little darker and throaty sounding to me, but a tele can really cut through a mix with the single coils.
    Good feedback and thanks for the info. Much appreciated.