*** The vegetarian/vegan thread ***

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

Vegan easter. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2020
    Just curious about the level of vegan-ity...
    I raise happy chickens that range all day scratching for bugs and seeds and nibbling on plants.  I feed them high quality grain feed, kitchen scraps, and mealworms that equates to a plentiful, gourmet diet compared to wild birds.  They are (mostly) protected from predation and housed out of the weather.
    In exchange, I collect and eat their unfertilized eggs, and remove their feces from their home to use as fertilizer in my vegetable garden.  

@Spiritual_Chaos
    Where do you stand with such an endeavor? Would you eat my chickens' day-fresh eggs with bright orange yolks?  Is what I'm doing unethical?  How do you balance the hidden horrors (male chicks disposed of without compassion, chickens bred beyond natural propensities without consent) required to produce my eggs with the hidden horrors (thousands of rodents killed without compassion, massive land use and transportation infrastructure, fertilizer/pesticide/herbicide input) required to produce your vegetable protein?

Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Isn't she a beauty?  Don't you want one?
    If dogs and cats laid delicious eggs, wouldn't you eat them?  Ok, that sounds gross.

I really don't mean my questions to poke and criticize, I just like to see how vegans think.  One thing I find curious is that typically, when someone goes vegan, they go extreme with it.  It seems like a defense against slippery-slopes...like you can't admit to any ethical animal husbandry out of fear that the argument is lost.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,710
    I always wanted  chickens. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I always wanted  chickens. 
    ChickyBitches.
    They are great, but sometimes a huge pain in the ass lol
    Last night I was out for an hour catching them one by one to put them back in the coop because they can't figure out how to get back up the arm-length ramp they came down to get out of the coop 🤦‍♂️
    They are smart in some ways, and very very stupid is some ways.  It will take at least a couple days for them to learn how to return to the coop at dark, and I'll be chasing chickens at dusk until they do.  
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    My dad lives in Florida and has wild chickens in his neighborhood.
    He puts out food for them.
    Every morning he get up and there are eggs in the basket of his bicycle.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Malroth said:
    My dad lives in Florida and has wild chickens in his neighborhood.
    He puts out food for them.
    Every morning he get up and there are eggs in the basket of his bicycle.
    To read that just made my day. Thank you for that. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    Compensation for the poop everywhere is nice.
    rgambs said:
    I raise happy chickens that range all day scratching for bugs and seeds and nibbling on plants.  I feed them high quality grain feed, kitchen scraps, and mealworms that equates to a plentiful, gourmet diet compared to wild birds.  They are (mostly) protected from predation and housed out of the weather.
    In exchange, I collect and eat their unfertilized eggs, and remove their feces from their home to use as fertilizer in my vegetable garden.  

@Spiritual_Chaos
    Where do you stand with such an endeavor? Would you eat my chickens' day-fresh eggs with bright orange yolks?  Is what I'm doing unethical?  How do you balance the hidden horrors (male chicks disposed of without compassion, chickens bred beyond natural propensities without consent) required to produce my eggs with the hidden horrors (thousands of rodents killed without compassion, massive land use and transportation infrastructure, fertilizer/pesticide/herbicide input) required to produce your vegetable protein?

I'm not an expert in how it all works with chickens/hens. 

Do you really have to kill the male ones?

What rodents are dying for my vegetable protein?
    rgambs said:

@Spiritual_Chaos

I'm not an expert in how it all works with chickens/hens. 

Do you really have to kill the male ones?

What rodents are dying for my vegetable protein?
    Every time a field is turned for planting hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands of moles, voles, baby rabbits, and field mice are crushed by the mechanical action.

With chickens, and any livestock, really, there isn't much use for males.  They can be fed out to market (this means they can be fed until they are big enough to eat) but there aren't many other uses for male livestock.
    With chickens, about half of the eggs that hatch, be they from a hatchery or your own farm, are going to be cocks.  You can only have 1 cock in a flock, otherwise they will fight each other to the death.  You also need to have at least 12 or so hens to keep a cock, or the cocks will kill them slowly over time by over mating them.  If the chickens are bred for laying eggs, they will not grow to a size worth eating for a long time, and they will do so very inefficiently.  They eat too much feed for the protein they provide with their body.
    So, in commercial hatcheries, where most people get their chickens, millions of male chicks are killed as soon as they hatch and their sex is identified.
    It's a harsh reality.  
    I try to be fully informed in all the harsh realities of food production.

So would you eat that beautiful happy bitches eggs if you came to my little farm?

Vegan salmon with early potatoes and a Scandinavian mustard & dill sauce. 
    Swedish company, with I must sadly say excellent oat-based products, are about to make a push in the US - and doing so by giving up 10% of the company to a "multinational private equity alternative investment management and financial services firm" called "Blackstone". Which are pieces of shit.

Made an illustration to help you out.

• I got these from Tescos only they're purple as made from Beetroot. Cant help but think sounds like furniture from Ikea-

• beetroot owns. If its the vegetable we call ”rödbeta”. My favorite. 

Just got a two year subscription for a vego magazines from my mom for my bitthday, so I guess I have to start cook food...
  • beetroot owns. If its the vegetable we call ”rödbeta”. My favorite. 

Just got a two year subscription for a vego magazines from my mom for my bitthday, so I guess I have to start cook food...
    There are some really great recipes out there :)

• Surprised the pizzeria/pub close to my dad had vegan options. 
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited August 2020
    @Spiritual_Chaos
    Vegan pizza with tomato rocket and a glass of beer :) looks delicious, I'd like this for dinner tonight so I dont have to cook. Just need more beer
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Made this too

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Vegan kebab:

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    What is in the vegan kabob?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • What is in the vegan kabob?
    I would think it was seitan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

Or maybe it was store-bought oomph:

https://oumph.uk/
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Interesting
  • Interesting
    I thought there was a spelling error - but you guys call kebab ”kabob” ?
    No, I think I spelled it incorrectly.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I call it kabob.  Spelled that way in Persian.
  • Vegan Mayonaise