Pearl Jam - Quick Escape

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Can't wait to see Mike rip that solo live.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I could go either way with it being first or second. But Dance is just a fucking awesome and newer sound for them so I understand why they went that route. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DT6012DT6012 Posts: 201
    What’s the chatter at the 2:15 mark?
  • Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:
    It's such a cool song - really deserves an end solo that doesn't sound like a first take improv. The music beneath that solo is so interesting that anything you put on top of it really has to bring something melodically to the table. I'm finding McCready's thoughtless, speedy, noodling unbearable on this track especially. Such a missed opportunity.
    It’s kind of his style. He isn’t Trey Anastasio.
    Ruining songs shouldn't be a style.

Plus, he's got so many thoughtful, brilliant solos under his belt which totally elevate the songs - I guess he just needs to be reined in by a good producer to actually think about the noise he's making.
    I don't think it is "ruing songs" as much as "you personally like liking it ".  I love it and think it elevates the song personally
    DT6012 said:
    Stone was ordering a pizza
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Been hearing this on the radio
  • DT6012DT6012 Posts: 201
    Is it a NASA recording?
  • DT6012 said:
    Stone was ordering a pizza
    I think it’s Stone thinking about Radiohead 
    Been hearing this on the radio
    what station?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I heard it this weekend on 90.9 The Bridge here in KC.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cd finally arrived yesterday...and as the tour got shut down i decided the first spin of the new cd would be driving in my car. i wanted everything to be just right this time...under ultra perfect conditions(no traffic!). it was such a long long wait...just to finally put it in and hit play...i had only listened to the Dance track previously.

Quick Escape i loved instantly/massively first listen. it's got everything i look for(need) in pj. prestart to finish is freaky good. drums/bass killing it. marrakesh and kerouac get nods as does space and and the video on pj utube is wonderful   puff puff pass
    background vocals, production quality, overall groove...and that guitar solo. fuck yeah they did it!! HYPE
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    If you get a chance hear Josh Evans' SiriusXM special about this song. :) 
    demetrios said:
    If you get a chance hear Josh Evans' SiriusXM special about this song. :) 
    Whats he say
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • +1  need to know what josh says about this song. very curious! love this song...
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    +1  need to know what josh says about this song. very curious! love this song...
    Pm sent. 
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:
    It's such a cool song - really deserves an end solo that doesn't sound like a first take improv. The music beneath that solo is so interesting that anything you put on top of it really has to bring something melodically to the table. I'm finding McCready's thoughtless, speedy, noodling unbearable on this track especially. Such a missed opportunity.

Plus, he's got so many thoughtful, brilliant solos under his belt which totally elevate the songs - I guess he just needs to be reined in by a good producer to actually think about the noise he's making.
    I don't think it is "ruing songs" as much as "you personally like liking it ".  I love it and think it elevates the song personally
    Sorry... Ruining songs shouldn't be a style (which is what I think he does on Quick Escape) Better?

Evans since confirmed that the solo is exactly what it sounds like - a one take improv.
    McCready also came out on that AMA and said that he only really considers composition when songwriting, not soloing.

He sounds, and often plays lead like he couldn't care less what it sounds like.

Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

Sorry... Ruining songs shouldn't be a style (which is what I think he does on Quick Escape) Better?

Evans since confirmed that the solo is exactly what it sounds like - a one take improv.
    McCready also came out on that AMA and said that he only really considers composition when songwriting, not soloing.

Totally gutted by this poor take. Missed opportunity. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

Sick burn. Wish McCready put as much thought into solos as you do into put downs.
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 81
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

Sick burn. Wish McCready put as much thought into solos as you do into put downs.
    We can only pray that McCready can one day achieve the talent you have for solos. Until then we will just have to live with what he gives us...tragic
    mshnayder said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

We can only pray that McCready can one day achieve the talent you have for solos. Until then we will just have to live with what he gives us...tragic
    It’s not talent he’s lacking. Never said it was.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

We get it.  You don’t like it so it sucks.  Can we move on now?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

We get it.  You don’t like it so it sucks.  Can we move on now?
    Stop asking me questions, rhetorical or otherwise. See what happens.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    Yawn. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Wasn't the Alive solo improv as well?
    I miss igotid88
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 555
    I’d guess most of mike’s solos begin as improvs, and in some sense, always are. But with a song like Alive, it had been played, I dunno, like 100 times by the time it was recorded, and there’s a general path he follows. He does deviate and he goes on tangents, but the structure stays the same by and large. 
    Then there’s instances like this song and like Reach Down where the songs very fresh and the album recording is capturing perhaps the first burst of inspiration coursing through Mike and out his guitar. That’s why it’s a fucking beautiful solo and perfect to my ears.

I also love Stone’s solo and can’t wait to see how they evolve live.
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    KN219077 said:
    Eilian said:

Ooooooomph. Gutted. Just gutted.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I’d guess most of mike’s solos begin as improvs, and in some sense, always are. But with a song like Alive, it had been played, I dunno, like 100 times by the time it was recorded, and there’s a general path he follows. He does deviate and he goes on tangents, but the structure stays the same by and large. 
    Then there’s instances like this song and like Reach Down where the songs very fresh and the album recording is capturing perhaps the first burst of inspiration coursing through Mike and out his guitar. That’s why it’s a fucking beautiful solo and perfect to my ears.

Agreed. Great song.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    igotid88 said:
    Wasn't the Alive solo improv as well?
    I think nearly every Mike solo on record was improvised. They sure sound it. And they always evolve live. That's why I don't get why this guy is still complaining a full month later about Quick Escape.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201

Well put. Actually this song is a pretty amazing example of the yin and yang that Stone and Mike have. Stone’s solo is very melodic and well thought out, whereas Mike just loses his mind and improvs. Too much of either wouldn’t work but they’ve always achieved such a great balance. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Thumbs up
    I miss igotid88