Things that give you hope.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Kat said:
    We are resilient. We're going to get a bit stir-crazy and not everyone will handle it well. Try to find ways to stay positive as we get through this very difficult time....and take good care of each other, mentally as well as physically. If you need help, ask someone for what you need. People want to be helpful. Big hugs.

Good words, fun marble race, Kat, thank you!  :hug:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I feel like the words are woefully inadequate for what some people will go through but it's important we try to lift each other up through this. 
    I love unicorns...and clean sidewalks too, thanks. :) More hugs.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Kat said:
    I feel like the words are woefully inadequate for what some people will go through but it's important we try to lift each other up through this. 
    I hate to admit I enjoyed that marble race probably more than I should have.

It was easily more entertaining than any car race I've seen.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    2 friends i dont see so much of just took food and money to my ex wife and kids.
    In tears and mind blown.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    dignin said:
    Kat said:

For sure.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
     Fires Left These Wallabies Nothing to Eat. Help Arrived From Above. https://nyti.ms/2x3E9SH

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    dignin said:
    Kat said:

You know what else is fun to watch on youtube?  Dominoes falling.  There are some very elaborate setups.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    In California
    • $100 million directly to local governments for shelter support and emergency housing for the homeless population
    • $50 million to purchase travel trailers and lease rooms in hotels, motels, and other facilities in partnership with counties and cities to provide immediate isolation placements statewide for homeless individuals. 

The state is immediately procuring 1,309 trailers and is leasing two hotels to provide emergency isolation units for homeless people, Newsom announced at a news conference.

tish said:
    In California
    • $100 million directly to local governments for shelter support and emergency housing for the homeless population
    • $50 million to purchase travel trailers and lease rooms in hotels, motels, and other facilities in partnership with counties and cities to provide immediate isolation placements statewide for homeless individuals. 

The state is immediately procuring 1,309 trailers and is leasing two hotels to provide emergency isolation units for homeless people, Newsom announced at a news conference.

That's very cool!  I listened to some of Newsom's talk today on TV (unfortunately missed much of the beginning) but it was encouraging to see a politician who is working hard, looks and sounds very competent, and is making things happen.  I hope other places are getting the same kind of good leadership.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    if you want to laugh or cry tears of joy read rex Chapman’s twitter each day. Awesome stuff
    pjhawks said:
    if you want to laugh or cry tears of joy read rex Chapman’s twitter each day. Awesome stuff

Hey, thanks!  I checked it out.  Some great stuff there! 

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    In December 2019, my mom kept insisting that 2020 was going to be THE best year.  All caps and exclamation points.

Since that time - even aside from the obvious - a cousin lost her home to a big apartment fire here, and my closest cousin was diagnosed with Stage III stomach cancer.

I was just speaking with him, and he told me that a blood vessel in his stomach had burst due to the chemo.  When the doctors went in to repair it, they found the cancer had shrunk significantly and think another three or four sessions will bring even greater success.

So, in the midst of this viral clusterfuckery, I'm thankful for such good news on a personal front.

I hope he continues to survive this.  Fuck cancer! 
    hedonist said:
    In December 2019, my mom kept insisting that 2020 was going to be THE best year.  All caps and exclamation points.

Since that time - even aside from the obvious - a cousin lost her home to a big apartment fire here, and my closest cousin was diagnosed with Stage III stomach cancer.

I was just speaking with him, and he told me that a blood vessel in his stomach had burst due to the chemo.  When the doctors went in to repair it, they found the cancer had shrunk significantly and think another three or four sessions will bring even greater success.

So, in the midst of this viral clusterfuckery, I'm thankful for such good news on a personal front.

I hope he continues to survive this.  Fuck cancer! 

Good thoughts for your cousin's healing, Hedo!  Yes, fuck cancer! 

Thank you!
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited March 2020
    Music helps, always. I can't wait for our music to finally be here. In Spain, they are making music too. :)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9338354/musicians-perform-celine-dion-my-heart-will-go-on-balconies-spain-video
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • wow kat. ty. nice link! music helps unite all of us, and it's such a beautiful thing. win!
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently. Here’s How.

A crisis on this scale can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. Here are 34 big thinkers’ predictions for what’s to come.

For many Americans right now, the scale of the coronavirus crisis calls to mind 9/11 or the 2008 financial crisis—events that reshaped society in lasting ways, from how we travel and buy homes, to the level of security and surveillance we’re accustomed to, and even to the language we use.

Politico Magazine surveyed more than 30 smart, macro thinkers this week, and they have some news for you: Buckle in. This could be bigger.

A global, novel virus that keeps us contained in our homes—maybe for months—is already reorienting our relationship to government, to the outside world, even to each other. Some changes these experts expect to see in the coming months or years might feel unfamiliar or unsettling: Will nations stay closed? Will touch become taboo? What will become of restaurants?

But crisis moments also present opportunity: more sophisticated and flexible use of technology, less polarization, a revived appreciation for the outdoors and life’s other simple pleasures. No one knows exactly what will come, but here is our best stab at a guide to the unknown ways that society—government, healthcare, the economy, our lifestyles and more—will change.

Continue::

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/19/coronavirus-effect-economy-life-society-analysis-covid-135579
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

This is hopeful:

"...retailers and producers can meet this challenge, he says, because America has strong supply chains.

And at least for now, American food producers are not experiencing production troubles. The barren shelves are simply a reflection of the unusual increase in demand.

Testa says his company is working to recruit out-of-work warehouse workers and truckers from industries hit hard by the coronavirus to help meet the urgent need at distribution centers.

While shortages persist, retail trade groups are urging people not to buy more items than they would use in a couple of weeks — to give others a chance to meet their basic needs.

myoung321 said:

A crisis on this scale can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. Here are 34 big thinkers’ predictions for what’s to come.

For many Americans right now, the scale of the coronavirus crisis calls to mind 9/11 or the 2008 financial crisis—events that reshaped society in lasting ways, from how we travel and buy homes, to the level of security and surveillance we’re accustomed to, and even to the language we use.

Politico Magazine surveyed more than 30 smart, macro thinkers this week, and they have some news for you: Buckle in. This could be bigger.

A global, novel virus that keeps us contained in our homes—maybe for months—is already reorienting our relationship to government, to the outside world, even to each other. Some changes these experts expect to see in the coming months or years might feel unfamiliar or unsettling: Will nations stay closed? Will touch become taboo? What will become of restaurants?

But crisis moments also present opportunity: more sophisticated and flexible use of technology, less polarization, a revived appreciation for the outdoors and life’s other simple pleasures. No one knows exactly what will come, but here is our best stab at a guide to the unknown ways that society—government, healthcare, the economy, our lifestyles and more—will change.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/19/coronavirus-effect-economy-life-society-analysis-covid-135579

To my way of thinking, many of those changes talked about here are hopeful, indeed.  A few , not so- like the inequity gap rising.  But things like "Science reigns again" and "Revival of Parks", right on!

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    brianlux said:
    myoung321 said:

To my way of thinking, many of those changes talked about here are hopeful, indeed.  A few , not so- like the inequity gap rising.  But things like "Science reigns again" and "Revival of Parks", right on!
    I'm with ya... thought provoking. 
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

necessity is the mother of invention right? I think its also the mother of innovation, ingenuity and creative problem solving.....

This showed up on my Nextdoor app. I imagine (hope) this is happening elsewhere. Gotta support our communities as we can :)

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    on my front porch today....

That's sweet.  In my area, folks have been leaving baskets of flowers or tree fruit for the taking, with notes similar to that above.
    mickeyrat said:
    on my front porch today....

hedonist said:
    That's sweet.  In my area, folks have been leaving baskets of flowers or tree fruit for the taking, with notes similar to that above.

^^^  Very nice, both!

Someone up the street put up a card table with free food items for those in need.  We are OK food wise so far and have enough TP at the now-closed store, so C.  grabbed a couple single wrapped rolls to add to the free table.  It's raining today, so hopefully they covered everything or brought it in until the skies clear Tuesday. Next time we go by we're going to drop off a couple of our jigsaw puzzles to give folks something to do while sheltering at home.