Turntables

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
edited April 2020 in Musicians and Gearheads
whats everyones prefered?

might be getting stupid and buying another.

saw a dual cs 506 on ebay. complete.

thoughts on this and other brands, models  pros and cons...
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Love my marantz TT-15S1. A real beauty. Not too cheap but one with no cartridge is for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marantz-TT-15S1-Turntable-TT15S1-9-Tonearm-No-Cartridge/223966368541?hash=item34256f931d:g:xOkAAOSwYbNeh4EO

Only complaint is the felt turntable mat it was sold with.. not a fan. Bought a new slip mat, one better at reducing static and my wax has never sounded better! 

Didn’t know much about the dual you were talking about. I read this review (and a couple others).  Seems like it may be one to pass on:
    http://best-turntables.com/dual-506-turntable-review/
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Love my marantz TT-15S1. A real beauty. Not too cheap but one with no cartridge is for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marantz-TT-15S1-Turntable-TT15S1-9-Tonearm-No-Cartridge/223966368541?hash=item34256f931d:g:xOkAAOSwYbNeh4EO

Only complaint is the felt turntable mat it was sold with.. not a fan. Bought a new slip mat, one better at reducing static and my wax has never sounded better! 

not too cheap he says......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

That’s what I said yup. You asked general thoughts and pros and cons on brands. i gave you mine. 

Pros - just about anything
    Cons - felt slipmat and price. 

I’ll get 20 years out of it... worthwhile investment in my books.  I didn’t mean to offend anyone. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2020
    My Dual 1219 is my baby, but I got a Thorens TD 318 recently for downstairs, and that thing is great. Strange TT, for sure, but it's been running like a dream.

I know that 1219s are stupid expensive on eBay, etc. When I was first getting back into vinyl, I wanted a 1219 like I had growing up, so I went to eBay and then quickly went to J&R and bought an Audio-Technica AT-LP120, which continues to serve me well. After nearly 15 years, though, I finally found a free 1219 on CL, got it serviced, and it's a beautiful thing.

I also picked up the Thorens for free, and seeing as how I was never in the market for one, I don't know how much they go for on eBay, etc.

Those are my three tables. I love them all.

Pros/cons

1. Dual 1219 pros: sounds phenomenal, incredibly warm and smooth, basic operations are top-notch. Dual 1219 cons: They can be cranky (auto functions, mostly), so unless you've got an expert in your area or a whole lot of time on your hands to master the servicing manual yourself and track down or even make parts, you might be better off with a different TT. FWIW, the 1219 I grew up with did not have a working auto function at all, but I still loved it like a favorite sibling.

If Bill from Fix My Dual is still around, though, I know that he refurbishes Duals so that they should go another 50 years or so and need nothing but the basics (new styli, belts). I've talked to him a few times. I could never afford one of his at the time I was looking (by now, it should be obvious that I can't afford anything other than free because I'm a cheap bastard), but, again, I have talked to him a few times and he seemed genuinely put on this earth to keep Duals alive. If you're considering a Dual -- any Dual, not just a 1219, I would try to see what he has -- again, if he's still around -- before picking one up off of eBay.

2. Thorens TD 318 pros: Very true sound out of this one, and it is semiautomatic, which is great. I don't have the nostalgia for this one that I have for my Dual, but it is the main turntable for the family these days because of its ease of use and its dynamite sound. Thorens TD 318 cons: I don't really have any yet. I mean, it has an odd build as a suspended platter (which is in three pieces), but I should hardly hold that against it; the antiskate is also weird, basically a small length of fishing line with some weights on it. If these are affordable on eBay, etc., I'd highly recommend purchasing one.

3. Audio-Technica AT-LP120 pros: Direct drive is awesome. You just turn the thing on and it goes. Having grown up with a crankier Dual 1219, this mesmerized me when I first got it. It also comes with a built-in preamp complete with USB cable and some software so that you can convert your records to digital files for listening on the go. I'm a luddite, so I never got around to figuring that whole thing out. Still, it's a nifty feature to have (though audiophiles say it hinders the soundstage a bit, and some have gone so far as to open her up and remove the function from the TT altogether). Audio-Technica AT-LP120 cons: It's manual. The stock cartridge takes a while to open up, and even after it hits its sweet spot, it doesn't track as well as the cartridges I have on my other turntables. I've never bought a different cartridge for it, but folks swear that the higher-end AT carts really make a difference. Seeing as how those carts cost about as much as the table, though, I'm going to wait until my stylus is down to dust before I try that out.

Take care, mickey. Happy hunting.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I love the old, Dual turntables. The 10 and 12 series idler driven units can be incredible sounding once they have been serviced and set up. They will run forever if properly maintained. 

That said, I would pass on a 506. Duals later models, except for the 721, aren't built to the same standard as the earlier. The 721 isn't built like the earlier ones either, but they sound really good for what they are. 

There are still bargains out there on vintage turntables that have been restored/serviced and that is my recommendation. Pioneer, Yamaha, JVC, Kenwood and Marantz all made great turntables and they were well engineered and built solid. 

There are a lot of good, new turntables out now from Pro-Ject, U-Turn, Rega, Music Hall and Audio-Technica, but you have to get into their higher end models to match the performance of a quality, vintage table, IMO.

Budget is the key factor, of course. IME, dollars go farther on the vintage market with regard to the cost/performance ratio.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited April 2021
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Project Carbon Debut w the Acrylic platter.

Sounds great!

I've got about $600 in it.
    Picked this up last year for around $50.00 at the local shop. Gave it a good cleaning and set up. Sounds great!
  • SweetDaddyLouSweetDaddyLou Posts: 1,186
    dudeman said:
    I love the old, Dual turntables. The 10 and 12 series idler driven units can be incredible sounding once they have been serviced and set up. They will run forever if properly maintained. 

That said, I would pass on a 506. Duals later models, except for the 721, aren't built to the same standard as the earlier. The 721 isn't built like the earlier ones either, but they sound really good for what they are. 

There are still bargains out there on vintage turntables that have been restored/serviced and that is my recommendation. Pioneer, Yamaha, JVC, Kenwood and Marantz all made great turntables and they were well engineered and built solid. 

There are a lot of good, new turntables out now from Pro-Ject, U-Turn, Rega, Music Hall and Audio-Technica, but you have to get into their higher end models to match the performance of a quality, vintage table, IMO.

Budget is the key factor, of course. IME, dollars go farther on the vintage market with regard to the cost/performance ratio.

I love my Dual 721, not sure what's in it but it weighs about 25lbs!
    dudeman said:

I love my Dual 721, not sure what's in it but it weighs about 25lbs!
    Great sounding turntables, for sure. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mickeyrat said:

If cost is a consideration, I would match up a modest cartridge with this little number:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    U-turn audio. Have had it for about 3-4 years and its fantastic. Listening to it right now.
    pros and cons of a linear tracking table...

mickeyrat said:
    pros and cons of a linear tracking table...
    This could be a very long and tech-nerd answer. This is the abbreviated version:

Linear tracking turntables allow for proper cartridge alignment through the whole range of travel across a record resulting in less distortion and potential damage to records than using an improperly aligned, conventional cartridge on a standard TT.

Con is that they are more complicated mechanisms that can sometimes add noise. Some of them use proprietary carts which dramatically reduces the ability to choose your own. 
    thanks. go with what I know.....

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

• swervedriverswervedriver Sheffield, UK Posts: 182
    Rega make good TTs and are excellent value for money. Not sure how much they are in US but in UK they make some of best for sound per pound !
    edited December 2020
    talk to me about carts and stylii......

pros and cons of brand , type etc.... I get its subjective. just need some schooling from the audio nerd corps......(said with appreciation)

Post edited by mickeyrat on

Rega make good TTs and are excellent value for money. Not sure how much they are in US but in UK they make some of best for sound per pound !
    Having not solved the motor noise problem with my Project Carbon Debut with red Ortophon cartridge, I'm considering a move up to Rega Planar 3 (maybe six but probably too pricey)...
    mickeyrat said:
    talk to me about carts and stylii......

pros and cons of brand , type etc.... I get its subjective. just need some schooling from the audio nerd corps......(said with appreciation)

... so along with that decision comes the cart issue.  I'm quite happy with the Red Ort and wondering if that would work well with a Rega Planar 3 or 6).  Audio Advisor and others often promote the Elys (the Elys 2, I think they mentioned) cart as being the way to go but I'm wonder how that compares to the the Red Ort which I already know I like OK.  I don't want to spend more some something that might change the sound in a major way.

Thanks for any info out "audio nerd corp" can provide!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited December 2020
    My Thorens just gave up on me. Nothing happens when I press the start button. It was a freebie that has been crushing it for quite a while now without a bench visit, so it was only a matter of time. That said, the timing sucks. 

Might have to buy a new TT. I have so much equipment that needs work. Three receivers, the Dual could use a second look, and now the Thorens. Gonna cost me a fortune when the time comes. 

Edit: I remembered that the Thorens was a belt drive. The belt slipped off. I put it back on its pathway, but it’s fussy now upon starting up and slips off again. Ordered a new belt. If that’s all it needs, hell yeah!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I just got myself a u-turn orbit plus. I’m pretty pumped about it. I think it fits all my basic needs. To top it off I ordered the SpinBase by Andover Audio. It will be aesthetically pleasing for sure. The real test will be how it sounds. 

Now I just have to wait until February for them to ship.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    I bought an AT LP-60 in the Spring as I was getting back into vinyl after a very long absence. It worked pretty well, but I ran into a handful of records that would skip on my turntable, but not on a friend's older Zenith. The AT LP-60 didn't have any adjustments for tone arm weight or anti skate, so I was pretty much stuck. Over the weekend I bought a used JVC L-A110 from a local record store. I got it hooked up last night and it sounds pretty good. The records I had that were skipping played through without any issues. 
    I have still not found my close-to-perfect turntable.  My parameters are thus:

Total absolute maximum cost including tax and shipping, $1500 US.
    -Very minimal to no motor noise.
    -Ability to switch between 45 RPM and 33 1/3 without lifting the platter.
    -Quality queuing lever.
    -Relatively easy to use tone arm finger grip.
    -No built in pre-amp. (Prefer to plug direct into my Marantz PM5005 phono port).
    -Removable/ lift-able dust cover.
    -Ortophon red cartridge.
    -Piano black plinth.

However...   in the meantime, I have been able to improve the sound/ play-ability of my Project Carbon Debut hugely by removing the motor hold down screws and washers such that the motor is suspended by the rectangular o-ring. The thumping noise the motor was making is all but gone. After all this time- what a difference!  This relatively easy modification will allow me plenty of time to keep my eyes open for something more to my liking.  For now, I'm enjoying my records just fine!

brianlux said:

-Quality queuing lever.
    -No built in pre-amp. (Prefer to plug direct into my Marantz PM5005 phono port).
    -Ortophon red cartridge.
    -Piano black plinth.

However...   in the meantime, I have been able to improve the sound/ play-ability of my Project Carbon Debut hugely by removing the motor hold down screws and washers such that the motor is suspended by the rectangular o-ring. The thumping noise the motor was making is all but gone. After all this time- what a difference!  This relatively easy modification will allow me plenty of time to keep my eyes open for something more to my liking.  For now, I'm enjoying my records just fine!

I’d love to check out one of these. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • I bought this little beauty a few years ago. The spouse does not share my love of Pearl Jam so I wanted something compact with enough sound to fill up my little office. This fits the bill (though I do want to add external speakers at some point) and it's cool to watch the wax spin. Up next: Ben Harper's latest released...an autographed copy...

Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

-Quality queuing lever.
    -Ortophon red cartridge.
    -Piano black plinth.

I’d love to check out one of these. 

Wow. I love this one. It is from the second link you posted. When I upgrade I will have to check these Thorens out. The feature I love on my Denon is the fully automatic return. I would want any upgrade I get to have that as well. They are harder to find.
    Thorens TD 240-2 Fully-Automatic Turntable Walnut

Well, my Christmas present finally arrived. VERY happy to upgrade from my Music Hall 2.2 w/AT440MLb to my new VPI Super Prime Scout w/ Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. It also has the upgraded 10.5" Tonearm, 2" Prime platter & VTA on the fly.

The sound is SO nice. Have only listened to a few albums, but am eager to put some miles on this thing.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    MedozK said:
    Well, my Christmas present finally arrived. VERY happy to upgrade from my Music Hall 2.2 w/AT440MLb to my new VPI Super Prime Scout w/ Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. It also has the upgraded 10.5" Tonearm, 2" Prime platter & VTA on the fly.

The sound is SO nice. Have only listened to a few albums, but am eager to put some miles on this thing.

Congrats on your new system. That is one high tech looking turntable. Enjoy!!!!
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

Congrats on your new system. That is one high tech looking turntable. Enjoy!!!!
    Thanks, will definitely be fun going back through my collection and listening for what the better table gets me.