Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    I always find it funny how when something new comes out, the primary comments are "It reminds me of...." :)
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Tier 1: Who Ever Said, DoTC, Quick Escape, Alright, River Cross
    Tier 2: Seven O Clock, Take the Long Way, Buckle Up, Comes then Goes
    Tier 3: Superblood Wolfmoon, Never Destination Retrograde
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I'd put retrograde in Tier 1, but thats my ranking as well. 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited March 2020
    Tier 3 still being good or being bad? I like Superblood, still waiting for the album tomorrow 
  • I’ve listened to it twice. It will grow on me

The last 2 minutes of Who Ever Said is amazing. The synth in the beginning throws you off, but tells you this album is nothing like anything they’ve tried before...and it’s fucking awesome. It’s really a shame they released 3 of the first 4 songs before the album dropped. 

Honestly the last 5 songs of the album don’t do it for me, knowing Comes and Goes is about Chris will make me go back. 7 O’Clock is too Springsteen for me, I wish it took off into more a LBC or Unthought Known vibe.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    I’ve listened to it twice. It will grow on me

The last 2 minutes of Who Ever Said is amazing. The synth in the beginning throws you off, but tells you this album is nothing like anything they’ve tried before...and it’s fucking awesome. It’s really a shame they released 3 of the first 4 songs before the album dropped. 

Honestly the last 5 songs of the album don’t do it for me, knowing Comes and Goes is about Chris will make me go back. 7 O’Clock is too Springsteen for me, I wish it took off into more a LBC or Unthought Known vibe.
    Heck yeah.  An already great song just builds and gets better.

First listen was this song rocks....by the end I was running down the street Rocky Balboa style.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Good review... thanks for posting.  

What’s with the 28 albums they’re referring to?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I love how all over the place some of our fanviews are. This person loves this song but that one as much. The next person is the opposite. That's a sign that there is a lot to like on this album and more than one way to appreciate it. I am so happy Gigaton is in our lives.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • kaikaikaikai Posts: 55
    on2legs said:
    Good review... thanks for posting.  

What’s with the 28 albums they’re referring to?
    I *think* they are counting 11 studio + 17 live. Could be wrong, though. 
  • PianoManKDPianoManKD Posts: 125
    River Cross. #gorgeous

That is all.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I'd switch Retrograde with Comes Then Goes. Otherwise, I agree!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Went for an isolated drive this morning and the three song punch of Quick Escape, Alright, and 7 o'clock had me in goddamn tears. Catharsis. 
  • se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 321
    I’ve listened to it twice. It will grow on me

I agree that the 2nd half isnt as strong as the 1st half, but that is only bc I think the 1st half  (who ever said -through-7 O'clock) is perfection.
    The only song I'm not feeling is Retrograde.  There are moments in all the others that make me smile or want to jump through the roof.  The ending to never destination fells beatles to me.  The guitar tones and the solo work in Take the Long Way are awesome.  River Cross's lyrics..wow, etc... 
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    PJNB said:
    I am pretty damn excited to see these songs played live. Here is a breakdown of what I am excited for and how I think each song will play out. Just random thoughts here and hope it makes sense. 

Who Ever Said - They can open with this song to any show or throw it in the middle somewhere. Great rocker that would get the crowd jumping. 

3:00 - 5:10 Great slow and fast parts throughout the last two minutes that is going to make for a fun ride in a live setting.

Superblood Wolfmoon - Fun rocker that I bet they play at every show for the first couple of tours. Could fit in right before a set closer I think perfectly. 

DOTC - This whole song is going to be a fun one to see. So different then what we are used to. I bet they are going to really enjoy playing it too. They seemed really proud of it and bet they nail it live. This could be a show starter like Pendulum was or fit it in anywhere in the set to be honest. 

Quick Escape - When those Zeppelin style notes hit at the start of the song the roof is going off in the arena at some point in the next tour. At the start of the show, at the end of a set, in the middle it, does not matter. This is the song on the album that will click with most fans and it will be a monster live I am guessing. There is nothing wrong with the lyrics to this one but its all about the instruments for me. From 03:25 on is fire and would love to see what they are going to do if they ever extend it. 

Alright - This one hits pretty hard right now especially after closing my wife's business with all thats going on. We got pretty emotional on our first listen connecting with a lot of the lyrics. That emotional connection to this song is going to last forever for us. It obviously fits in the first part of the first encore and look forward to hearing it someday with hopefully happier times surrounding us all. Top 5 song for me from this album. 

7 O'clock- This will be my "Inside Job" on the album and I love Inside Job live. It does sound like a Springsteen style song for sure but that end takes it to another level. This is my most anticipated song to hear live off of the album by far and that is saying something. 

Never Destination - This is going to be a fun song live I think as long as they do not overplay it. It is not an every show or every other show for that matter style song for me but if they brought it out once and while it would get some love and some heads bouncing for sure. 

Take The Long Way - Gotta be honest it is the weakest song on the album and not looking forward to it live so much yet. It is leagues better than than the worse the last two albums produced though. Comes off as a Lost Dogs type of song that will probably grow on me if they can nail it live. 

Buckle Up - Really cool song that I think a lot of us will be chasing for years to come to hear at least once. Hope I am wrong on that as I think it would be great to see! 

Comes Then Goes - Going to be a hard one for Eddie to sing live I bet emotionally. It's a longer song that pretty much stays in the same place throughout but it keeps my interest the whole time. Live I can see him killing it.

Retrograde -  First 3:30 had me thinking Sirens/Just Breathe fans are going to love this and I thought it was just ok. After that though holy shit does it take off all on Eddies shoulders too. If he can nail that live as I think he can we are in for a treat! Funny enough after listening to the whole song the start sounds much better than I thought it did on first listen. 

River Cross - I am not sure if this could be a show opener or just the start to the first or second encore. I would like it as an opener but I love  this song. This section is my favourite moment of the whole album I think. Imagine the whole arena singing this part together. Chills. 

03:45 - 04:25 Can't hold me down. Can't hold me down. Won't hold us down. Won't hold us down! Live it out. Let it out. Let it out! Shout it out! Won't hold us down. Won't hold us down!
    Thanks for your review. I like how you were thinking of the songs in the context of how they will be in a live performance.
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 195
    edited March 2020
    I like your idea of tiering the songs. It is interesting to see which ones resonate the most with different people. I agree with JimmyV above, that it is a good sign of a strong album when everyone is all over the place with what they think are the strongest tunes.

My tiers would be:
    Tier 1: Seven O'Clock, DOTC, Who Ever Said, Quick Escape, Retrograde
    Tier 2: Comes Then Goes, Superblood Wolfmoon, River Cross, Alright, Buckle Up
    Tier 3: Never Destination, Take the Long Way
    Post edited by JV267526 on
    JPPJ84 said:
    Tier 3 still being good or being bad? I like Superblood, still waiting for the album tomorrow 
    Yes, I like every song on the album.  However, I also liked every song on Backspacer (even though Speed of Sound demo was soooo much better than the studio version) and every track on LB except Sleeping By Myself (it's fine, just felt forced by BoB).  

I'm 8 listens in.  This is a SOLID album.  I'm extremely happy with the band and Josh Evans.  
    severed hand thirteen

JPPJ84 said:
    Yes, I like every song on the album.  However, I also liked every song on Backspacer (even though Speed of Sound demo was soooo much better than the studio version) and every track on LB except Sleeping By Myself (it's fine, just felt forced by BoB).  

I'm 8 listens in.  This is a SOLID album.  I'm extremely happy with the band and Josh Evans.  
    cool, thanks for the reply. And yes, the SoS demo is so beautiful, they should have kept that one.
  • southpsouthp Posts: 265
    Overall I'm really liking it more than LB and BS. I find Gigaton to be a much more engaging listen with way more depth within each song - sometimes on the surface and sometimes more subtle.  Even a fun rocker like Superblood felt like a bit of a throw-away at first listen but it has become one of the catchiest PJ songs for me in quite some time.

It's a bit too early for rankings, etc but my immediate favourites that are already stuck in my head after just a few listens are:
    Superblood, Who Ever Said, Seven O'Clock, Quick Escape, DOTC

The only track I'm somewhat let down by is possibly Never Destination.  But I'll give it time.
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Tier 1: Who Ever Said, SBWM, DOTC, Quick Escape, Never Destination, Take the Long Way, Buckle Up, Retrograde
    Tier 2: Alright, Seven O'Clock, River Cross
    Tier 3: Comes then Goes

I know I'm going to get shit for putting Comes then Goes as my least favorite song on the album but I just can't really get into it in the spirit of the album, it just feels somewhat out of place. It's a great song - but I feel like it should be on an Ed solo album instead. Of course, all of this can (and probably will change) as we all get more acquainted with Gigaton. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 321
    Tier 1: Who Ever Said, SBWM, DOTC, Quick Escape, 7 O'Clock, River Cross
    Tier 2:  Never Destination, Take the Long Way, Alright
    Tier 3:  Comes then Goes, Buckle Up, Retrograde
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Tier 1: Never destination, quick escape, retrograde, super wolf, who ever said, alright, comes then goes
    Tier 2: DOTC, buckle up, river cross
    Tier 3: seven o' clock, take the long way

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Your tiers are all over the place, I love it!! Can’t wait for tomorrow 
  • Tier 1 - Who Ever Said, Dance, Quick Escape, Never Destination, Comes Then Goes, Buckle Up
    Tier 2 - SBWM, Alright, Take The Long Way, Retrograde
    Tier 3 - 7 O’Clock, River Cross
    looking to hear of the earth
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I have eaten crow and must admit DOTC is fucking awesome kick ass song.  It is so different yet refreshing at the same time. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited March 2020
    This has already changed a few times and will no doubt continue to, but as of right now...
    Tier 1:
    Seven O'clock, Buckle Up, Comes Then Goes, Who Ever Said, Superblood Wolfmoon, Dance Of The Clairvoyants
    Tier 2:
    Never Destination, Retrograde, Quick Escape
    Tier 3:
    Alright, River Cross, Take The Long Way

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    I love how everyone is using my Tier system idea :lol:

Ive really enjoyed reading the results so far.  Looking forward to seeing more and if anybody's mind will change over repeated listens!
    severed hand thirteen

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    So I’m the only one who hasn’t heard it yet?!!!! Haha. I’ll join in tomorrow 
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    nicknyr15 said:
    So I’m the only one who hasn’t heard it yet?!!!! Haha. I’ll join in tomorrow 
    You and I. I’ll be curled up in my bunk at work right at midnight tonight with my headphones on.
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Tier 1
    Who ever said
    Quick Escape
    Dance
    Alright
    Comes Then Goes
    Take the long way
    Retrograde
    Tier 2
    Super blood wolf moon 
    Buckle Up